PDA

View Full Version : Incline before Flat Bench

Irish_Basterd
10-04-11, 3:52 pm
Just wondering if anyone here does incline bench before flat bench on your chest days. I've noticed this somewhat and was wondering what everyone here thought and if people could weight in the pros and cons for each scenario.

Myself personally I usually do flat bench first because I feel like if I did incline my shoulders might be a little too sore afterwards.

C.Coronato
10-04-11, 3:55 pm
I have gotten away from flat as my first exercise as much as i can. Occasionally i will still hit it first, but generally I like incline DB, BB, or some other type of press before flat.

ruiner_zer0
10-05-11, 8:09 am
I do Dumbbell Flat Bench first Then Incline Barbell Press. I found it more effective for me personally.DB give a better range of motion and I can really squeeze the chest at the top.

-DB Flat Bench Press: 3x6-8
-Smith-Machine Incline Barbell Press: 3x6-8

Aggression
10-05-11, 8:15 am
I have gotten away from flat as my first exercise as much as i can. Occasionally i will still hit it first, but generally I like incline DB, BB, or some other type of press before flat.

I agree with CC. When bodybuilding, I either saved the bench press for mid-workout or I never did it at all, most of the time steering towards the latter (not doing it). When bodybuilding, its all about getting a pump and setting a solid MMC (mind-muscle connection). I was never able to do either with the flat bench, so I stayed away from it. In fact, I made some of my best size-gains on my chest during the time I didn't do flat bench press for months.

pushin weight
10-05-11, 8:53 am
I agree with CC. When bodybuilding, I either saved the bench press for mid-workout or I never did it at all, most of the time steering towards the latter (not doing it). When bodybuilding, its all about getting a pump and setting a solid MMC (mind-muscle connection). I was never able to do either with the flat bench, so I stayed away from it. In fact, I made some of my best size-gains on my chest during the time I didn't do flat bench press for months.

I think as a novice, one of the hardest things to steer away from is the flat bb bench press, its pretty much the first move a new kid wants to jump on when first hitting the gym.

And speaking for the pump, one of the best things i have done lately to get the greatest chest pump ive ever had is to superset the incline and flat hammer strength plate loaded press machines, incredible pump after three supersets of these, also really targets and isolates the pectroral regions and i have found this to be the best routine for the MM connection in this area.

Aggression
10-05-11, 9:14 am
I think as a novice, one of the hardest things to steer away from is the flat bb bench press, its pretty much the first move a new kid wants to jump on when first hitting the gym.

And speaking for the pump, one of the best things i have done lately to get the greatest chest pump ive ever had is to superset the incline and flat hammer strength plate loaded press machines, incredible pump after three supersets of these, also really targets and isolates the pectroral regions and i have found this to be the best routine for the MM connection in this area.

You hit it right on the nose, bro. As a noob in the gym, all you want to do is the bench press. I was one of those guys, and I'm sure you were too. We all were. As time goes on and we continue to educate ourselves, we learn the proper ways of mass building in the chest. Personally, my favorite chest exercise is the incline hammer strength press. I love it.

Imjorman
10-05-11, 11:12 am
I think after reading this thread I'm gonna get away from it next week. I don't have a lot of options machine wise at my gym, but I think some incline, decline, and various cable flys will be a solid chest workout.

MRmichael.hooker
10-05-11, 11:41 am
Just wondering if anyone here does incline bench before flat bench on your chest days. I've noticed this somewhat and was wondering what everyone here thought and if people could weight in the pros and cons for each scenario.

Myself personally I usually do flat bench first because I feel like if I did incline my shoulders might be a little too sore afterwards.

I almost always do incline first. No such thing as too much upper chest

Irish_Basterd
10-05-11, 2:10 pm
Awesome, thanks for the sound advice everyone. I agree with the statement about it being hard to get away from flat bench press. I think that I've believed it for so long that it's hard to let go. Almost like a screaming kid at the store you pretty much have to wrench me away from that exercise, lol. I think though that I'm going to start with incline from now on. What I think I'm going to do after reading up on this some more around the internet is a type of A-B routine that switches every two weeks. Something like this:

Week 1-2:
Incline BB: 8, 8, 6, 4
Flat DB: 10, 8, 8, 6

Week 3-4:
Incline DB: 8, 8, 6, 4
Flat DB: 10, 8, 8, 6

Following the rest of that with the other things that round out my chest day (dips, flies, etc...). Let me know what you guys think and maybe what kind of rep scheme you follow. Seems like this thread might be sort of eye opening for more than just myself.

--Ryan

unclejason
10-05-11, 2:17 pm

I usually alternate what I start with every other chest day. One day I start with incline barbell then go to flat dumbbell followed by a few more exercises and the next chest day I'll start with regular bench press and may follow that up with decline or something else.

BigBlueBear
10-05-11, 3:41 pm
Leave the ego at the door and get on the incline straight away. Hell, I'll usually do incline press then flys before even thinking about flat. I ain't saying flat doesn't have it's place, but the upper chest gets so damn neglected and it is what will make you fill out right. Ain't nothing like having that huge ass rock ledge and your shirt draping off you like it's a curtain.

Incline, it is your friend.

ruiner_zer0
10-05-11, 6:52 pm
Leave the ego at the door and get on the incline straight away. Hell, I'll usually do incline press then flys before even thinking about flat. I ain't saying flat doesn't have it's place, but the upper chest gets so damn neglected and it is what will make you fill out right. Ain't nothing like having that huge ass rock ledge and your shirt draping off you like it's a curtain.

True Champion

D-Kev
10-06-11, 1:04 am

Well said...I've been doing something similar too...

Tiny1102
10-06-11, 11:46 am
If I do incline, it is on a total different day than flat bench. I do my flat bench with my triceps. I do incline on a pec day.

Carrnage
10-07-11, 2:43 am

When you do incline first your shoulders may be too sore? We talking about your actual shoulder muscles or joints? In other words, pain? Lets fix this issue first my friend.

Myself personally, I dont think it matters, If my upper pecs were very underdeveloped I would do inclines first. Just make sure you do a few sets of rotator cuff exercises and some light pulldowns to warm up the whole body before moving on to heavy resistance. Also learn how to press with your chest, shoulder blades back, lats tight, elbows flared out, feet flat and tight, slight arch in back, head down on bench, and as you bring the bar down and up, bring your hands togethere when using the barbell, the thing is, your hands wont come togethere if you try, instead your pecs will stretch and contract. (most people dont know that last one!)

Cellardweller
10-07-11, 8:13 am

Ironicly, this post is loaded with ego. It's all the same whether you want to be rocking a t-shirt, walking around shirtless at a beach or if you want to bench 500lbs. You can either think, "I can bench more than you" or "your girlfriend is looking at me" and it's all the same.

unclejason
10-07-11, 10:13 am
Ironicly, this post is loaded with ego. It's all the same whether you want to be rocking a t-shirt, walking around shirtless at a beach or if you want to bench 500lbs. You can either think, "I can bench more than you" or "your girlfriend is looking at me" and it's all the same.

I hear what you're saying, and that could be true for some but for the most part I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree.

I could care less if someone can bench more than me, or if I'm bigger or smaller than the next dude, or if someone else's gf is checking me out. Seriously, I could give a rats about any of that. Me, and I'd venture to say I speak for a lot of people in here, do it for far deeper reasons than these. For those truly serious about this game, it's simply a way of life and a part of who we are on the inside as well. And most bigger dudes I come across are some of the less-egotistical people I've ever met and always willing to help others and freely give advice and such.

PORTERHOUSE
10-07-11, 12:03 pm
I try not to obsess about things like this... there's a million different ways to get a good chest workout as a bodybuilder, don't worry about being perfect, learn how to tax a muscle for growth. Personally, I am always mixing it up, flat/incline/decline/ whatever. For a lot of guys, there's a huge emphasis on db vs bb, but I am a bodybuilder and I prefer barbells, especially for flat press. I feel it much better, especially when the bar is all the way down, I can feel the stretch across the pecs so much more than with db's.

Cellardweller
10-08-11, 10:33 am
I hear what you're saying, and that could be true for some but for the most part I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree.

I could care less if someone can bench more than me, or if I'm bigger or smaller than the next dude, or if someone else's gf is checking me out. Seriously, I could give a rats about any of that. Me, and I'd venture to say I speak for a lot of people in here, do it for far deeper reasons than these. For those truly serious about this game, it's simply a way of life and a part of who we are on the inside as well. And most bigger dudes I come across are some of the less-egotistical people I've ever met and always willing to help others and freely give advice and such.

Nice post.

Irish_Basterd asked for the pros and cons of starting with incline vs flat bench and no one has addressed this. I say it depends on your goals. Everyone has assumed a bodybuilder position on the topic and talked about building a big chest. But there's plenty of power lifters here and guys traing for sports too. Personally I'm not a competitor and I do 5x5 on the flat bench then do pyramid schemes like 15, 12, 10, 8 or 12, 10, 8, 6 on incline and decline to round things out. Sometimes I do pyramids on my flat bench and 5x5 on incline and decline just to change it up. I will take a month a couple times a year and start with inclines too. I almost always only do presses, but I change it up to keep it fresh. My chest is my standout body part. Works for me. Again, I don't compete.

unclejason
10-08-11, 12:05 pm
Nice post.

Irish_Basterd asked for the pros and cons of starting with incline vs flat bench and no one has addressed this. I say it depends on your goals. Everyone has assumed a bodybuilder position on the topic and talked about building a big chest. But there's plenty of power lifters here and guys traing for sports too. Personally I'm not a competitor and I do 5x5 on the flat bench then do pyramid schemes like 15, 12, 10, 8 or 12, 10, 8, 6 on incline and decline to round things out. Sometimes I do pyramids on my flat bench and 5x5 on incline and decline just to change it up. I will take a month a couple times a year and start with inclines too. I almost always only do presses, but I change it up to keep it fresh. My chest is my standout body part. Works for me. Again, I don't compete.

I'm in the same boat man, as I don't compete. And I didn't mean any disrespect from my response (I hope it wasn't taken that way). I do the 5 x 5 method a lot as well and pounding out those heavy sets really helps with strength. I was never 'big' by bodybuilding standards and was never strong by powerlifting standards but over the years I've found that I love training between the two, implementing some of both styles (though I probably do more bodybuilding style workouts than power lifting...recently started ending my workouts with 20 reps sets and notice a big difference from that). I like to switch it up as well...right now I'm training chest every 5 days and one day I start with incline barbell press and the next bench press and I throw decline in one of those workouts too.

Cellardweller
10-08-11, 1:56 pm
No offense taken. It was a great response. I do burn out sets at the end too. That does give an amazing pump.

Mr.X
10-10-11, 1:33 am
If I do incline, it is on a total different day than flat bench. I do my flat bench with my triceps. I do incline on a pec day.

so doing a flat bench aint a pec day move?

no matter how close or wide your grip is your gonna be hittin the pecs......

wierd post

Shark52
10-10-11, 6:04 pm
I feel the upper half of my chest is a weak point so now i always hit incline BB or DB first and then flat. Its been imrpoving alot so far!!!

unclejason
10-11-11, 7:23 am
I feel the upper half of my chest is a weak point so now i always hit incline BB or DB first and then flat. Its been imrpoving alot so far!!!

That's what its all about man; realizing where your weak points are and bringing them up. I started focusing more on incline many years ago and it really brought my chest up.

Shark52
10-12-11, 12:03 am
In addition to bringing up weak points, iv added a second chest day in my training routine. Compound, heavy movements one day and the second session is moderate, smaller movements like flys and really concentrating on the squeeze and hold. Seems to be doing me some good.