PDA

View Full Version : Is your partner or partners on the same page?

Tiny1102
10-05-11, 2:08 pm
Is your partner or partners on the same page?
I can't stand when a training partner does not show and even more does not call. I can't tell you how many times I am sitting around the gym. Waiting and waiting for my training partner to show up. No call no text, but the next day I get a page. I always say I can never do this on my own. I would never leave my training partner hanging. Good help is so hard to find.

Tiny1102
10-05-11, 2:10 pm
this usually happens after they have lifted in a meet, but they are not lifting in the next one. One problem is, you are. Funny thing is. If he or she was getting ready for a meet. They would be on time and ready to go.

Mickey
10-06-11, 9:41 pm
not being able to find my drive mirrored in another is why i usually go it alone.

Big C
10-06-11, 11:40 pm
Never in my life have I had a reliable training partner....so I just roll solo now. I think it's just the area I live in..no one takes it serious. I've gave some guys chances but shit never works out.

Wycked
10-07-11, 3:51 am
For guys that are powerlifters the disadvantage that occurs when not having a good training partner is tremendous. And the same can be said for bodybuilding to a certain extent. For years I trained with at least one other person and sometimes as many as 2 other guys. But as I've gotten older and wiser and taking the teaching I got and expanded upon it I really can fathom the thought of training with a partner again. I like doing my thing and taking my time. I don't need anyone to push me I push myself harder than anyone else could. Also training is "my time" all day and night I'm around people when I'm training its just me and my music and its golden

Tiny1102
10-09-11, 10:17 pm
For guys that are powerlifters the disadvantage that occurs when not having a good training partner is tremendous. And the same can be said for bodybuilding to a certain extent. For years I trained with at least one other person and sometimes as many as 2 other guys. But as I've gotten older and wiser and taking the teaching I got and expanded upon it I really can fathom the thought of training with a partner again. I like doing my thing and taking my time. I don't need anyone to push me I push myself harder than anyone else could. Also training is "my time" all day and night I'm around people when I'm training its just me and my music and its golden

I understand everyone has a life outside of training. Only thing I want is communication. If your going to miss a workout. Call before, then I can find some other help for the day.

Wycked
10-09-11, 10:53 pm
I understand everyone has a life outside of training. Only thing I want is communication. If your going to miss a workout. Call before, then I can find some other help for the day.

I bet its frustrating for u bro. I play with some serious weight and can't just trust anyone with a spot.

Mr.X
10-10-11, 2:24 am
Is your partner or partners on the same page?
I can't stand when a training partner does not show and even more does not call. I can't tell you how many times I am sitting around the gym. Waiting and waiting for my training partner to show up. No call no text, but the next day I get a page. I always say I can never do this on my own. I would never leave my training partner hanging. Good help is so hard to find.

PAGE?????? bro seriosuly?!? you have a pager?!?! that made me lol i thought all the old folks left that dead tech. years ago, you seriously old school :)

Tiny1102
10-10-11, 10:29 am
PAGE?????? bro seriosuly?!? you have a pager?!?! that made me lol i thought all the old folks left that dead tech. years ago, you seriously old school :)

Funny, no I meant text. Sorry..

Aggression
10-10-11, 11:16 am
I've had a few training partners here and there over the years, but they also end up bailing on workouts. Just as it happens to you, Tiny, it happens to me. I'll be on the treadmill to warm up while I wait for them. Next thing I know, it has turned into a cardio session b/c I've been on there for 20min while waiting. I don't mind training alone. I don't need anyone to hype me up. I do that myself. Is it nice to have someone there pushing you and training alongside? Sure. But I'd rather train solo than train with an inconsistent guy. I just hate asking weirdos to give me a lift off on the bench. Last time I did that, the dude almost pulled it up and out of my hands. He lifted off so high that it pulled my shoulders/lats right up and I was fucked from there. Clown.

zubda345
10-10-11, 12:44 pm
I also never had a motivated and good training partner since now. The man who trains with me now is kind of my friend he's 9 years elder than me. He comes to my home texts me and we go to train togather, he might not b able to come to the gym someday, but he'll always tell me bout that. and I totally understand that cause he comes home late after his job and sometimes he's so tired. But all in all he's the bestEST training partner I ever had.

jeff00z28
10-10-11, 4:53 pm
I hate training with ppl, they usually feel the need to get "pumped up" for the lift which I don't quite understand.

Maccabee
10-10-11, 5:43 pm
I NEVER had a reliable training partner since I have started training.

They ALL stop coming after leg day.

The ones that do show up usually skip leg day.

So squatting for a max and benching for a max is difficult.

I can't ask any random people because there were times where they almost killed me. I am not even kidding.

If I really need some one to spot I always take about 5-10 mins to teach them how before I let anyone spot me.

Mr.X
10-11-11, 12:19 am
Funny, no I meant text. Sorry..

its all good bro i figured you meant text just wanted to break some balls haha

Tiny1102
10-12-11, 8:52 am
its all good bro i figured you meant text just wanted to break some balls haha

but that was funny

Tiny1102
10-12-11, 8:55 am
Yes, it never fails. You think they are as serious as yourself, but they are not. When they have a show they are there, but when they decide to sit out, you can't find them. I wish I could do this on my own, but that is impossible. No way I can train on my own.

Aggression
10-12-11, 9:08 am
Yes, it never fails. You think they are as serious as yourself, but they are not. When they have a show they are there, but when they decide to sit out, you can't find them. I wish I could do this on my own, but that is impossible. No way I can train on my own.

I've been training solo for my upcoming meet. The bad times are on bench day. If I'm going for a heavy triple or some paused reps with a weight that I know it a bit heavy for me, then I need a lift-off/spot, plain and simple. I don't like asking random dudes to do that. I need someone who I can trust. If I don't know anyone there, then I try to find the one guy who I think would be the best at it. Last week I picked a guy to spot me and he was happy to help. Only problem was ... when he lifted off, he almost pulled the bar outta my hands. It threw my shoulders up and I was no longer tight. A waste of a set.

Squats I can manage on my own. I do 'em in a power rack where I can bail successfully if need be. Deadlifts are fine solo.

Imjorman
10-12-11, 6:38 pm
I have a partner that I occasionally train with from time to time. Our motivation is about on par, we're both dedicated individuals, but our goals are different. I wanna trim down and then build a big house, he just wants to be "fit." That leads to a difference in our training and diet sometimes. Solid partner though.

Tiny1102
10-12-11, 7:26 pm
I've been training solo for my upcoming meet. The bad times are on bench day. If I'm going for a heavy triple or some paused reps with a weight that I know it a bit heavy for me, then I need a lift-off/spot, plain and simple. I don't like asking random dudes to do that. I need someone who I can trust. If I don't know anyone there, then I try to find the one guy who I think would be the best at it. Last week I picked a guy to spot me and he was happy to help. Only problem was ... when he lifted off, he almost pulled the bar outta my hands. It threw my shoulders up and I was no longer tight. A waste of a set.

Squats I can manage on my own. I do 'em in a power rack where I can bail successfully if need be. Deadlifts are fine solo.

That really sucks. I was actually at a meet one year and no one would help me at all. Me personally, I am pretty much always willing to help. Just as long as I am not lifting really soon. At Worlds, I must have put 50 shirts on lifters and helped 15 to 20 on the lift-off. I could not even get someone to lift-off 405 at a meet. I am shocked how many do not know how to do a proper lift-off. I can explain it, but they will still jerk it up and throw the bar out. And I am not talking about anything over 405.