PDA

View Full Version : To and From a 20-Rep Squat Workout............

papa murf
10-11-11, 6:29 pm
All right kiddos, pops is back with a brand new addition! So first a little lead in.... the past few months or so have been some on and off lifting/training. I have been training to do a 5.2 miles Marine Corp Mud Run that is actually this Saturday in Columbia,SC. I played a lot of sports in school and ran track, but distance was never my thing so this has been a bit of deveation from the norm.

Needless to say, my lifting has been a bit different. I have been doing fewer total workouts and the lifting has been more full body oriented. Essentially I picked 1 quality movement for each muscle group and performed it in each workout, 3 times a week. I progressed from 3 weeks of 10s, to 3 weeks of 6s and then finally 3 weeks 3/4s (for the main body lifts). I then lifted sparingly for a week or two and have now taken the past 2 weeks off. This of course is for the run. After the run, I plan to jump right back into some real lifting.

I am going to lift solidly up until the week of Thanksgiving, which I have off for a vacation with the lady, and then I plan to jump in the deep end with a modified 4 week 20-rep squat workout. I am going to try to get myself back acclimated the next month and then its balls to the walls for that 4 weeks. Im kinda excited. Ive been talking myself up to do this workout for a long time now. I feel like I spent the summer getting some soli strength back and now its time to push the limits and add some quality size. I havent figured out all of the lifts Im going to perform just yet, but I know I will start with the traditional back squat and then into a extended set of bar pullovers. I will probably add in some bodyweight movements like dips and pullups but I might have to see how my body responds. This next month will allow me to select the right starting weight for my workout so I dont underachieve nor prematurely fail myself.

So this thread will be my journey to and from a 4-week squats-and-milk workout. Stay tuned for the results of the race on Saturday and some information on my projected nutrition for the next 2 months......

papa murf
10-17-11, 5:19 pm
So the tired team survived the mud run. I must say that it was pretty fun. I was probably the most in-shape of my 3 teammates. Some of the obstacles were pretty tough and then some didnt hardly require any energy at all. I could have been able to push a bit harder on the runs between obstacles but perhaps next time. So we finished in 1 hour and 40 minutes. This was good enough for 442nd out of about 600+ all male teams. The fastest was a mind-boggling 40 minutes. Thats straight up 8 minute mile pace for 5 straight miles, nevermind there being 32 obstacles in the way. Truely unreal in my book. So im pretty banged up, bruised and cut. But its time to get some more work done.

So today begins my month long preparation for the 20-rep squat workout. Tonight, everyone in the city will be doing chest, so I am gonna start the week off with some shoulder work and finish up with a set or 2 of some tris. Ill let you know how it goes.

Until then...

mcbeast
10-17-11, 6:02 pm
Im subbed. 20 rep squatting is painful, so very painful.. What gym in Charlotte do you train at?

papa murf
10-17-11, 8:28 pm
whats up man, thanks for the add. i live down in the Steele Creek area, just south of Carowinds so I train at the Club Fitness right off S. Tryon. Yeah im pretty aware how much pain i will be self-inducing. Week after Thanksgiving, its on.

papa murf
10-17-11, 8:34 pm
Tonights workout was more of a feeler in terms of getting the motions back after some time away from a standard muscle-group oriented workout. It was crowded, as Mondays tend to be but I made due. Workout went as follows:

5 minutes warmup on elliptical
5 LB rotator warmup
seated db press - 10, 10, 10, 8
seated machine front press - 10, 10, 10, 10
straight bar upright row - 10, 10, 10
plate-loaded shrug chair - 10, 10, 10, 10
alternating cable side lateral - 12, 12, 10
seated bent reverse fly - 10, 10, 10
EZ-bar pushdowns - 10, 10, 10
Abs - 100 reps total

The workout went pretty well. Im sure I will be sore tomorrow. Feels good to get back to some solid lifting. Now I just need to start moving some weight.

after workout weigh-in - 193

papa murf
10-18-11, 9:51 pm
Tonight was a bit of leg work in an attempt to get myself reaclimated to some solid lifting. The workout went as follows:

5 minute warmup on stationary bike
Back squats - 10, 10, 10, 10
Walking lunges - 10, 10, 10, 10
Upright sinlge leg curls - 10,10, 10
Romanians - 10, 10, 10
Seated leg extensions - 10, 10, 10, 10
Seated bent-leg calves - 15, 15, 15
Static stretching

This was the first time I had done any intense leg lifting in several weeks. I actually was beginning to get sore halfway through the workout. I think after tonights workout, I am going to beign my 20-rep squat workout with 175. The conventional progression is to take my 5-rep max and use that as my 6 week ending weight and then work backwards to get to my starting weight. With my 5-rep max of 275, that would be 185. I am simply going to go 10 lbs less and start from there. It is going to be tough, but im excited.

Until then, its continued work.....

papa murf
10-20-11, 7:47 am
So I did some chest work last night. I would have to say that outside shoulders (which is most peoples) my weekest muscle group is my chest. So I am actively trying to do different things in order to generate some growth and strength. But tonight was really a chance to get back in the motions after some time away.

5 min. warmup on elliptical
DB bench - 10, 10, 10, 10, 9
Plate-loaded incline machine - 10, 10, 8, 10
pec dec - 10, 10, 9, 8
skulls/close grip - 10/10, 10/10, 10/10
russian twist - 15 each side, 15, 15, 15
incline leg raise - 10, 10, 10, 10
8 min. cooldown on bike

So a lot of my problem is that my tris are not super strong and they give out well before my chest does. I am trying to force myself to use heavier weight to get more accustomed to it. I never used to give much of a crap about how strong my chest was but as I get older, it becomes more of a pride issue than anything else. It will come with time, but I need to make it a focus.

Tonight will be off so I can go to dinner with my girl for my birthday. Then I have back tomorrow morning and then Im headed to Boone for homecoming. I didnt actually go to ASU, but I am from Boone so all my friends still live there.

The road to the top is always uphill.........

papa murf
10-25-11, 5:17 pm
So I had a solid weekend to celebrate my birthday. The big 3-0. So far it doesnt really feel much different. But now its back to the grind. Heres the deal...

5lb DB rotator cuff warm up
Seated DB Press - 10, 10, 8, 8
Seated Pin-loaded Front Press - 10, 10, 10, 10
Standing Shrug Chair - 10, 10, 10, 9
Upright Row - 10, 10, 10
DB Laterals - 10, 10, 10
Straight bar Front Raise - 10, 10, 10
Cable Reverse Flyes - 10, 10, 10, 10
Ab-Chair - 20, 20, 20

Bathroom, Car, Home, Shower, Couch.........done

papa murf
11-09-11, 10:32 am
So I havent posted anything in a while. The workouts have been continuing but there wasnt much to talk about other then the lifts. Plus, I kept forgetting to get on the website to jot down my thoughts. The past 2 weeks I have been trying some different things on leg day in an effort to prepare myself for the onslaught that is the 20-rep squat workout. Last week I simply wanted to go in and do a set or 2 at 20 reps just to get a feel for it. I warmed up and then simply had 135 on the bar and knocked out 20 reps. It didnt feel too bad so I decided to make a workout of it. I proceeded to do another set of 135x20 and then finished with a set of 145x20.

I must say that at the lighter weight it isnt so much the weight that starts to get to you but the reps. Regardless of how light it might feel, you definitely begin to get winded around reps 15-16. I can already begin to see how mental this workout is going to be. I also noticed that as I hold the weight on my back during the lengthy sets, it starts to take its toll on my lower back. Focus on form will be very important as the weight increases and the time to completion for the set increases as well.

Last night I decided to up the ante a little and push myself as my preparation continued. I warmed up with 135x10 and then jumped into a set of 155x20. I didnt feel as loose to start out so the first 5 reps or so were a chance to get a feel for the weight. Now I am not a beast by any stretch with my 1RM only around 365, but 155 should be very light. After knocking out the first 10, I decided to try and progress in sets of 3. After 16, it changed to sets of 1, haha. After some much needed rest I made the decision to put in another set of 20 with 160. This time I really had to work on the first 10, I mean really focus on the technique and depth. I then knocked out 2, rested did another 3, and then was breathing like id run a mile. The last 5 reps consisted of a set of 2 and then 3 sets of 1 rep just to finish. Ill tell ya, the conditioning it takes to finish the light weights scares me for the big ones.

I was originally going to begin my 4 week workout at 165. I might try to continue some single or double sets of 20 reps over the next couple weeks in an effort to see what I can get to so my starting weight for my actual workout might increase to 175-185 when its all said and done. Now I fully understand that 2 days rest will be much worse then 7 days rest, but if it aint hard then everyone would be doing it. I heard a quote the other day that I loved and will use continuously as I work through the next month and a half:

"If you want to get somewhere you've never been, you've got to do something you've never done."

I think that applies in the weight room as much or more then any life arena. Until next time kiddos.......

papa murf
11-23-11, 2:53 pm
alright kiddos, its down to the last few days before I begin my 4-week assault on a 20-rep squat workout. the past 2 weeks i have gone ahead and given the workout a test run of sorts. on my leg day i have decided to go ahead and try the full workout to see how I would handle the load. last week i warmed up and then did my set of 20 with 165 to see how it felt. its hard to know exactly how much to warm up so as not to ruin the working set but to also make sure i am fully prepared for the weight. 165 wasnt too bad. again, with the lighter weights its more about the reps then the weight. i knocked out the first 10 pretty easily and then finished with sets of 3 and sets of 2. i then went straight into a set of lying bar pullovers with 30 lbs. i was pretty damn winded and the last few reps really start to burn. after some rest i decided to continue with the old school workout and do a circuit of pullups to failure, dips to failure, and then some crunches, all with 1 minute between. this was done 3 times through. ill admit that when you get to this stage you really get a feel for how much the squats have taken out of you. i think i am going to stick with these excercises and see how it feels doing it 3 times a week. all-in-all, the workout is gonna be brutal.

then this week on monday i wanted to do the full workout again. i went with 175 this time. again, the weight isnt awful but i was starting to feel it bad after only 11 reps. i can already see that breathing and proper form are going to be critical. i will no longer be able to rely on busting through the first 10 reps as it will start to get hard before i even get to 10. this time, however, the pullups, dips, and crunches seemed easier. now it will be a matter or pushing myself to try and hammer out more with each workout.failure sets are always tough because you have to have the discipline to actually go to failure and not simply give up when it gets hard. focus will be the key word for week 1.

so with my workout beginning on monday and having already busted through 165 and 175, i think i am going to start my workout with 180 pounds. that means that over the course of 4 weeks at 3 times per week, i will be adding on 60 pounds of squat weight come dec. 23 and will be attempting 1 set of 240 for 20 reps. right now the thought is frightening. the pullovers will remain the same light weight and then i will jump into 3 sets of the same pullup/dip/crunch circuit. i will probably add in some stretching as my legs will begin to tighten up as the weight increases. i plan on hitting the grocery on sunday to stock up. i will be taking this 1 week at a time with my diet to get a feel for what worksand where i might need to add. i will update on the nutrition for week 1 come sunday.

if you want to get somewhere you have never been, youve got to do something you have never done......

papa murf
11-26-11, 12:20 pm
Alright its time to talk some more iron. I hope everyone has had a good break. I have gotten some much needed rest and am ready for my next challenge. So after some thought, I have decided to man up and will be starting my 20-rep equate at 185. Two more days and it will be time to get after it. I can't wait to see the cashiers face tomorrow night when I step up with 7 containers of milk, to go along with a weeks worth of goodies. Time to separate the contenders from the pretenders. I know using this site will help me stay honest and focused. No excuses......

papa murf
11-30-11, 10:33 am
So I am off and running with the 20-rep squat workout. Mondays session gave me a pretty good indicator as to what is in store for the next 4 weeks. The workout went as follows:

5 minutes warmup on elliptical
Squat - BWx10, 135x10, 155x8, 185x20
Lying Bar Pullovers - 30x20
3 times thru of a circuit w/1 minute between exercises and 3-4 between sets:
Pullups/Bodyweight dips/Decline situps - 6/12/25, 6/12/25, 6/12/25
Light stretching

So after day 1 there was some time to reflect. The squats were pretty tough. I started out doing sets of 4 then short rest. This lasted until about 12. Then I went more into sets of 2 up until 16 and then it was literally 1 and rest until 20. Once you get past 15, the mind kicks in and you know you are almost there. After words, I was pretty winded but it wasnt like I was about to fall over. I am sure that with increased weight where it gets more difficult before rep 10, I will be more exhausted once its over. Im not really feeling the pullovers as it doesnt seem to do much for me with respect to recovery.

After I gather myself and jump into the circuit, I didnt really feel my legs at all anymore. What my efforts show though, is that I need a lot of work on bodyweight pullups and dips. Over time as I have gotten heavier, these 2 exercises have become harder (common sense right?) but I need to really push myself here. I feel like the situps work my hip flexors more then my abs so I will see how this goes and maybe switch it up.

Day 2 is tonight. I will be reppin out at 190. The reduced milk (half gallon a day) really hasnt been that bad. I think the entire gallon would be really tough and get old as hell real quick. I will give more insight into my diet as I try and hone in on the right mix. I feel fine now but may need to increase intake soon.

More to come........

papa murf
11-30-11, 4:45 pm
So for the first few days of my workout, I have been trying to make sure I get enough nutrition in to accompany my sessions. Part of my past failures to achieve my goals has been my inability to adequately maintain the proper food intake. So far this has been working out alright. The hard part is getting the food in while at work. So here is the meal plan I am following this first week. Then I will step back and adjust as needed.

Breakfast - 1-2 cups of uncooked oatmeal in milk and a cup or 2 of coffee (substitute 1 bowl of cereal)
Mid morning - 1 can of chunk light tuna
Lunch - 2 sandwiches with sliced turkey, sliced chicken, cheese and lettuce and 2 glasses of milk
Mid afternoon - 1 can of chunk light tuna
Post workout - 2 scoops of whey protein in water
Dinner - (whatever the girl fixes, haha) Monday was steak, green beans and rice, Tuesday was Turkey, collards and candied yams. Basically I try to get a solid protein, a vegetable or 2 and maybe a starch. I also finish the rest of my milk, which is usually 1 glass or so.

Aside from the protein shake, my only other supplement is animal pak. If I have time, I am trying to add a peanut butter sandwich in with my afternoon meal.

I weighed in Monday night at 198 (at 6'-2"). This is actually the heaviest I have ever been. I will do a weigh every week just to see where things stand. There is still a long way to go but this is the start. Feel free to provide any criticism.

Back to work........

papa murf
12-02-11, 12:35 pm
So the other nights workout was pretty darn brutal. It definitely made me wonder what I have gotten myself into. The workout went as follows:

5 minute warmup on elliptical
squats - BWx10, 135x8, 155x8, 190x20
lying pullovers - 30 lbs ez-curl x 20
3 x circuit of pullups/dips/decline situps - 7/14/25, 7/14/25, 6/12/25 crunches
light stretching

So overall the workout was tough. I decided to begin with a steady pace on the squats and see how I reacted as the reps increased. I followed a slow down, up, breath and repeat. This lasted thru rep 12. From 12-20 was 1 at a time. My theory that the mind helps once you reach 15 didnt really work this time, hahaha. After 15 I was not sure I wanted to do 5 more. The hard part is standing there trying to catch your breath with the weight on your back. My back really takes a beating doing this workout.

Once I reached the circuit, I was crushed. I was able to power through the exercises, but in the end, chose to do crunches instead of the decline situps. I am also going to alternate between wide grip and neutral grip pullups by weeks. This week is wide grip and then I will do some neutral grip to mix it up.

I hate to say it, but I am only 2 sessions into my 12 and I am already potentially going to have to shift my lifting days a bit. I am scheduled to lift tonight but due to being behind at work, I may have to push that back until tomorrow. Not much of a change, but a change none-the-less. I will let you know how the session goes.

papa murf
12-09-11, 1:30 pm
So since the last time I posted, I have completed 3 more workouts. After knocking out 190, I had to wait until Saturday to jump on 195. I dont know if it was just the tough work week or what, but 195 was brutal. I finished up, did the pull overs and then handled the circuit. That was week one.

Due to shifting the workout to Saturday, I didint get into the gym until Tuesday this week. I decided after struggling with 195 by trying to go too quickly that I would approach 200 a bit more cautiously. I warmed up as normal (BW, 135, 165) and then jumped into 200. I went with a set of 5 reps, down-up-breath. Then after 5 I caught a few deep breathes and then did 5 more the same fashion. This put me right on 10 but still somewhat comfortable. I then wen into a set of 3 at the same down-up-breath. I was going to try another set of 3 that ended up being only 2. After 15, it literally is a rep and then heavy breathing for 10-20 seconds. Once you get to 18, you know its only 2 reps and you are finished. This method felt easier then before. This was the first time my legs were tight afterwards and also the first time that I had a lot of trouble coming out of the hole on number 20. The burning sensation will probably intensify as the weight increases. Week 2 meant neutral grip pullups. I knocked out pullups, dips, lying crunches - 8/15/30, 8/14/30, 7/15/30.

Yesterday was day 5 in my 12 session routine. 205 was on the docket. I employed my same methodology of a set of 5, a set of 5, then I went into sets 2 up to 15-16. Then it was the endless singles and deep breathes. Last nights workout was tough and really worked the back to stand there and hold the weight. Its almost incentive enough to finish the set quicker so I dont have to to hold the damn weight so long. I powered through the circuit this time - 8/15/30, 8/15/30, 7/15/30. I can tell i am getting a bit stronger on the bodyweight lifts. Also, whether its the fact that everything im doing uses a lot of abs or whether the lying crunches work better for me, my abs get so sore the next day. Its more of a deep ache rather then the usual "cant sit up in bed" type of ab soreness. Oh well it feels good.

I am trying to get back on schedule so I am slatted to jump on 210 tomorrow and then hopefully I can get on 215 Monday. As seems to be the norm the last few weeks, work load will play a large part in when I can lift. Even with the limited exercises, this workout still takes me a while to complete, at right around an hour. Closing in on halfway. Gotta stay motivated.............

papa murf
12-13-11, 8:22 am
So my plan for jumping on some lifting this weekend fell flat. Work butted in, folks were at the house, and excuses got in the way. So I had to put off 210 until last night. I wasn't feeling the best physically so I was a bit weary on how the workout would go. I was trying hard to get motivated. Its something about knowing you are willingly going to inflict a lot of pain that messes with the mind. So I warmed up with 135, then jumped to 175, and then loaded up 210. I seem to have hit a groove with my rep scheme so I continued. I was steady in knocking out the first 10 in 2 sets of 5 using down, up, breathe. I was already gassed but I knew the longer I took, the harder the last couple would be. So I forced myself to go in sets of 2, up to rep 16. At this point you can see the finish. That doesn't necessarily make the last 4 any easier either. I did the last 4 in sets of 1. Last workout I was taking big huge breathes and it really affected my back so I kept it steady this time but nothing over-the-top. The back still took a beating on reps 19-20 but I made it through. On to 215 wednesday.

The circuit was pretty tough as well. The only free pullup area is not real condusive to doing neutral grips as the handles put you up close to the machine and you hit it with your body on every rep. So I decided to do sets of 6 slow and controlled, hanging a few seconds on the down of each rep. I did sets of 12 on dips and then sets of 30 on the crunches.

This concludes half of my 4 week workout, 6 of 12 sessions. Next week is back to wide grip pulls, I need to shoot for 16+ dips and I will be increasing to 35 on the crunches. Of course, that is if I can make it past the squats. More fun to follow...........stay tuned.

Pale Rider
01-31-16, 5:33 pm
Nice work