PDA

View Full Version : Do you pull Conv. or Sumo? Why?

Tiny1102
10-14-11, 9:10 am
When I first started lifting, way back. I started with sumo. Resently, I started to pull conventional. This week I tried sumo again. It started out pretty good. When I got up to about 500, the bar started to move very slow out of the hole. I also felt more strain in my back. I still have not pulled with a belt yet, but when I pulled conventional, I did not feel any strain in my back. I also felt that I had much more power and speed pulling conventional.

Aggression
10-14-11, 9:33 am
For the first 7 years in the gym, I pulled conventional. After last year's Olympia, I talked with BigD about the sumo stance and decided to give it a shot. Bottom line; I feel more comfortable when doing sumo. I prefer that stance, I feel more of a 'pop' off the floor, and I've already bypassed my conventional max after only doing sumo for 6 months. I'm looking forward to crushing another PR in 3 weeks at my meet, sumo style. I guess it just comes down to the person and their frame.

Nix0r
10-14-11, 10:23 am
I pull conventional for when I go heavy; it's just what feels most natural for me.

However, that doesn't mean I neglect sumo pulls; I still throw them in from time to time. In fact, I pulled nothing but sumo for probably that last 4 months leading up to my most-recent meet, then switched over to conventional 3 weeks out? The result? Pulled 600 (50lb PR).

It really goes back to my life philosophy of "why have 'or' when you can have 'and'?"

BIG BEN
10-14-11, 10:44 am
Why are the heaviest pulls in the world done conventional? because the guys pulling them are built well for that style. The way a person is built (and their bodies tendencies) generally determines how comfortable they are in a particular stance. Natural sumo pullers are "usually" a little taller and lankier while natural conventional pullers are usually stockier. This, as a blanket generalization but for someone with no lifting experience or bias, is good for deciding which form to pursue. Tiny you said that you had less power out of the hole sumo, that's the usual sumo stick point. Sumo pullers require more flexible hips to get into position and a bigger hip pop to get the bar moving, if your hips aren't up to the task then your lower back takes the strain and that may be what you experienced. Conventional loads the hamstrings and lower back a lot more evenly off the ground and the pop is greater so the natural stick point is usually higher up the pull. Again, these are general statements based purely off the mechanics of the pull, these stick points can be addressed and even made completely different through training for them. My suggestion is always to pull the way that feels natural 80-90% of the time but don't neglect the other style. They cover each others weaknesses quite well and training both helps to eliminate the weakness in the opposite pulling style.

Aggression
10-14-11, 11:03 am
My suggestion is always to pull the way that feels natural 80-90% of the time but don't neglect the other style. They cover each others weaknesses quite well and training both helps to eliminate the weakness in the opposite pulling style.

100% agree. I made the switch to all sumo last year. And during my recent training cycle leading up to my meet, I've utilized both sumo and conventional deads in an effort to maximize performance. I've legitimately noticed a carryover when using both forms.

rev8ball
10-14-11, 11:19 am
B nailed it with the point of it being mechanics. With the studies that I've done on DLs, it is interesting how force is developed dependent on body structure (in addition to some physiological factors).

Personally, when I first started competing (about the same time the wheel was invented), I was not really aware of the sumo style, so I DL'd conventional only. However, I now know that sumo compliments my mechanics better, and that is how I pull now. What sucks is that if I did it back then, I would have blown all of my PRs out of the water.

J-Dawg
10-14-11, 11:39 am
B nailed it with the point of it being mechanics. With the studies that I've done on DLs, it is interesting how force is developed dependent on body structure (in addition to some physiological factors).

Personally, when I first started competing (about the same time the wheel was invented), I was not really aware of the sumo style, so I DL'd conventional only. However, I now know that sumo compliments my mechanics better, and that is how I pull now. What sucks is that if I did it back then, I would have blown all of my PRs out of the water.

That bold part made me laugh out loud, haha.

But you guys are right, body structure plays a huge role in whether a person is stronger with sumo-style or conventional deads.

I generally prefer conventional but I like doing sumo deads to help strengthen my hips.

Polk17
10-14-11, 12:07 pm
For the first 7 years in the gym, I pulled conventional. After last year's Olympia, I talked with BigD about the sumo stance and decided to give it a shot. Bottom line; I feel more comfortable when doing sumo. I prefer that stance, I feel more of a 'pop' off the floor, and I've already bypassed my conventional max after only doing sumo for 6 months. I'm looking forward to crushing another PR in 3 weeks at my meet, sumo style. I guess it just comes down to the person and their frame.

Why are the heaviest pulls in the world done conventional? because the guys pulling them are built well for that style. The way a person is built (and their bodies tendencies) generally determines how comfortable they are in a particular stance. Natural sumo pullers are "usually" a little taller and lankier while natural conventional pullers are usually stockier. This, as a blanket generalization but for someone with no lifting experience or bias, is good for deciding which form to pursue. Tiny you said that you had less power out of the hole sumo, that's the usual sumo stick point. Sumo pullers require more flexible hips to get into position and a bigger hip pop to get the bar moving, if your hips aren't up to the task then your lower back takes the strain and that may be what you experienced. Conventional loads the hamstrings and lower back a lot more evenly off the ground and the pop is greater so the natural stick point is usually higher up the pull. Again, these are general statements based purely off the mechanics of the pull, these stick points can be addressed and even made completely different through training for them. My suggestion is always to pull the way that feels natural 80-90% of the time but don't neglect the other style. They cover each others weaknesses quite well and training both helps to eliminate the weakness in the opposite pulling style.

I agree w/ both of these 100%... Your body type determines this a lot, as Ben mentioned, I am a taller guy (6'3, about 220) and last September was the last time I Pulled Conventional, I hurt my back Pulling a Max Double @ 405... After getting my back taken care of, I made a commitment to Pull only Sumo, & did that exclusively... The gains I made have been rediculous, partly because I have been 100% healthy, partly because Sumo suits my body (Tall, Lanky, and I have very long arms, which makes for a really short stroke), and last because I have stronger hips... It has been amazing to me how much better my back feels, I have had no pain since I made the switch, and my body feels better than ever... On top of that, I Pulled 575 last week, @ 220, the same weight I struggled w/ 405 for a double, right @ about a year ago... So I really do think your frame and body makeup makes a difference, as well as where your strengths lie, i.e. hips, quads, etc... If you have very strong hips then I would recommend Sumo & vice versa... The one thing that you have to take into consideration is that Sumo is a more technical lift, so you have to be very dialed in w/ your form... I haven't experienced as much of that until I started Pullin' very heavy singles & doubles, in my meet prep... Once you get over 90% of your true max, you start to see the importance of flexibility & form... One of the things I have not done, that I am going to start adding in after my meet is some Conventional Stuff to bring up my Sumo, I have stayed away from it, for fear of injuring my self, but after reading how yall swear by it, I think I am going to make some adjustments...

smoothballer
10-15-11, 9:42 am
I have spent time pulling both sumo and conventional. For me conventional is the way to go. I am tall with long arms and a short torso which mad my sumo stance very wide which was all right until the weights got above 90%. I did a good amount of research and everything said for my body type I should be pulling conventional. I went back and hit a 20 lb PR within 3 months of switching. I feel very comfortable with conventional when I don't get stupid and round my lower back.

Here is one of the articles I came across in my research:
http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/training-articles/choosing-conventional-or-sumo-based-on-your-bone-structure/

korn_fed
10-16-11, 9:36 pm
I've tried both, and in my opinion, conventional is best for me.
With the sumo deadlifts, I feel a lot of tension on my inner thigh, whether that be from general weakness of the muscle or just lack of stretching there. I feel a greater strain on my lower back doing sumo, and it puts a lot of stress on my knee (just had ACL/miniscus surgery done a few months ago).
With conventional deadlifts, my knees/feet are kept straight, thus relieving stress on the ACL. I also feel it working more on my entire body, whereas in sumo deads I feel like it works much more lowerback than anything else.

Tiny1102
10-17-11, 2:44 pm

Very true. My lower back took a beating when I did sumo.

Tiny1102
10-17-11, 2:47 pm
I pulled this weekend in my MAX DL. I think it went pretty good. I have velcro straps, but I did not make them very tight. After about 5 pulls, I was able to get my butt down and I could feel the suit was working. I have 3 weeks till Worlds. I think I am done pulling till then.

LegendKillerJosh
10-17-11, 2:51 pm
I feel sumo works better for suited lifting, cause it turns into more of a squat with the bar below you. Wide stance, feet out, sitting back, using mostly legs.

I lift raw and for me I've always done conventional. It feels more natural and I am stronger which is all that matters.

Tiny1102
10-17-11, 2:55 pm
I forgot to mention. I also put a belt on for the first time. I just put the belt on, but not tight at all. Felt pretty good.