PDA

View Full Version : What's a good mass building program?

mr.bump
10-16-11, 10:51 am
Ive been on starting strength (but with rows isntead of power cleans) for the last 8months added in pullups and chinups 2 months ago and now I am about to add in 1x8 after each exercise.

After this what would you recommend me doing ?
My goal is to just get big and powerful my main goal is to get big though (but as Ive read with strength comes muscle)

Any way after I have done SS with the added 1x8 for another 6 weeks or so I was going to have ago of german volume training for 4-6 weeks.

But then what would you recommend after that ?I want something new for January ?

What do you guys think of ws4sb ? Do you think I should try that or maybe just do that strong lifts 5x5 and try and still make more progress each workout instead of weekly.

note-I workout at home and ive got the bare essentials,rack,bench,barbell,plates,1 fat handled adjustable DB

BarbellManiac
10-16-11, 11:49 am
Many out there, experiment and find what's optimal for you. Look through the animal routines, you can even try bosshogg, HIT (which for beginners would be a killer on the CNS), Traditional straight sets for high volume, try everything out and see what elicits the best response for you. When gaining mass the bigger part is the diet, so keep the diet in check and you should be fine. In your case where there's not a lot of equipment, just structure a split, and use whatever you have to use exercises that target that muscle group.

mr.bump
10-16-11, 2:02 pm
What do you think of this split,anything missing .

Monday chest and back

incline bench press 4x8(have only do it like 3x this year)
close grip bench -3x12

deadlifts 3x5
rows 2x8-12
1 set of krock rows (I just want to try them,if I dont stick with them then 2 more sets on the normal rows)
weighted pullups 3x10

wednesday legs and core
squats 4x8-
lunges 3x8
stiff deadlifts 3x8
farmers walks with plates 2x2mins

barbell Russian twists 2x20
3x20 hanging knee raises(because I cant lift my legs up and straight would I be better of just doing these laying down ?)
swiss ball back extensions 3x12

Friday shoulders and arms
shoulder press or one arm DB press 4X8
front raises 3x12 ???
lat raises 3x12??
curls 3x12
triceps extensions 3x12
wrist roller 3x1min

then repeat again sunday or Monday

BarbellManiac
10-16-11, 2:15 pm
What do you think of this split,anything missing .

Monday chest and back

incline bench press 4x8(have only do it like 3x this year)
close grip bench -3x12

deadlifts 3x5
rows 2x8-12
1 set of krock rows (I just want to try them,if I dont stick with them then 2 more sets on the normal rows)
weighted pullups 3x10

wednesday legs and core
squats 4x8-
lunges 3x8
stiff deadlifts 3x8
farmers walks with plates 2x2mins

barbell Russian twists 2x20
3x20 hanging knee raises(because I cant lift my legs up and straight would I be better of just doing these laying down ?)
swiss ball back extensions 3x12

Friday shoulders and arms
shoulder press or one arm DB press 4X8
front raises 3x12 ???
lat raises 3x12??
curls 3x12
triceps extensions 3x12
wrist roller 3x1min

then repeat again sunday or Monday

You see muscle groups like chest and back are big muscle groups, one of the biggest in your body. Training them together would only result in one being trained harder than the other, back especially needs a day of it's own. Plus you put deadlifts and squats back to back, which is just more stress on the body. Try something like this.

1. Chest/Biceps
2. Legs
3. Off Day
4. Shoulders and Triceps
5. Back
6. Off
7. Off

You can substitute trifceps for biceps on chest day and vice versa for shoulders. It think a basic split like this is good since it allows enough time to recover, and not much CNS strain since everything is leveled nicely. If you choose to do this, just add the exercises that you want for that day, as well as keep the reps 6-8 if you want both mass and strength, of course max out once in a while. You can also read on Sam Byrd's powerbuilding write ups, or G Diesel's powerbuilding basics (which are basically mass + power). Have fun with it, don't over-complicate too much and listen to your body.

Good Luck.

mr.bump
10-16-11, 2:23 pm
You see muscle groups like chest and back are big muscle groups, one of the biggest in your body. Training them together would only result in one being trained harder than the other, back especially needs a day of it's own. Plus you put deadlifts and squats back to back, which is just more stress on the body. Try something like this.

1. Chest/Biceps
2. Legs
3. Off Day
4. Shoulders and Triceps
5. Back
6. Off
7. Off

You can substitute trifceps for biceps on chest day and vice versa for shoulders. It think a basic split like this is good since it allows enough time to recover, and not much CNS strain since everything is leveled nicely. If you choose to do this, just add the exercises that you want for that day, as well as keep the reps 6-8 if you want both mass and strength, of course max out once in a while. You can also read on Sam Byrd's powerbuilding write ups, or G Diesel's powerbuilding basics (which are basically mass + power). Have fun with it, don't over-complicate too much and listen to your body.

Good Luck.

Ahh I see now.
IS 4x8 a good set rep scheme ? The workout I am on now is getting me stronger But when I was bulking (just about to come of a cut diet) I didnt grow as much as I thought I would of even though I was eating around 1200cals over maintenance

Oh and I like the look of that bosshogg workout http://forums.isteroids.com/training-workout-questions/79217-bosshogg-routine.html.COuld that be too much for me though ?

BarbellManiac
10-16-11, 4:18 pm
Ahh I see now.
IS 4x8 a good set rep scheme ? The workout I am on now is getting me stronger But when I was bulking (just about to come of a cut diet) I didnt grow as much as I thought I would of even though I was eating around 1200cals over maintenance

Oh and I like the look of that bosshogg workout http://forums.isteroids.com/training-workout-questions/79217-bosshogg-routine.html.COuld that be too much for me though ?

I'd just try the split I suggested above, keep it 6-8, 4 is fine once in a while, but there's not much hypertrophy from it. Just strength.

mr.bump
10-18-11, 7:23 am
I'd just try the split I suggested above, keep it 6-8, 4 is fine once in a while, but there's not much hypertrophy from it. Just strength.

6 to 8 sets ???

WHen I wrote 4x8 I meant 4 sets of 8 reps ?

mr.bump
10-18-11, 8:22 am
1. Chest/Biceps
incline press
bench press
pushups
weighted chin ups
curls

2. Legs
squat
stiff deads
reverse lunges
farmers walks 2x1min

3. Off Day
4. Shoulders and Triceps
mill press
one hand press
front raises
lat raises
tricep extensions
diamond pushups

5. Back
band face pulls (no weight)
deadlifts
krock rows
pullups and wide pullsups
6. Off
7. Off

What do you think of warming up to a 5 rep max on the squat,dead and one of the push or press exercises,everything else 4x8

BarbellManiac
10-18-11, 6:53 pm
6 to 8 sets ???

WHen I wrote 4x8 I meant 4 sets of 8 reps ?

Oh, I thought you meant reps. Usually it's repsxsets or weight

Big Al
10-18-11, 8:11 pm
And eat your ass off. You need calories to recover from heavy training.

Big Al
10-18-11, 8:15 pm
Just stresses the point of eating and training heavy.Hope it helps.....
http://www.animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?section=training&ID=350

Carrnage
10-18-11, 10:03 pm
Ive been on starting strength (but with rows isntead of power cleans) for the last 8months added in pullups and chinups 2 months ago and now I am about to add in 1x8 after each exercise.

After this what would you recommend me doing ?
My goal is to just get big and powerful my main goal is to get big though (but as Ive read with strength comes muscle)

Any way after I have done SS with the added 1x8 for another 6 weeks or so I was going to have ago of german volume training for 4-6 weeks.

But then what would you recommend after that ?I want something new for January ?

What do you guys think of ws4sb ? Do you think I should try that or maybe just do that strong lifts 5x5 and try and still make more progress each workout instead of weekly.

note-I workout at home and ive got the bare essentials,rack,bench,barbell,plates,1 fat handled adjustable DB

Knowledge my friend, once you learn various aspects of training/diet/how your body works/biomechanics you will know exactly what to do in the gym. Whats the best way to train? Thats depending on your "current settings", your sleep/nutrition/stress levels. Read all these links below, once you do, you should have a good idea on what to do for rapid growth!

http://www.professionalsupplements.net/super-size/default.asp

http://www.simplyshredded.com/

this link below, is the most important link, its to keep you healthy

http://www.kundaliniyoga.org/spinal.html

Boom!

Growing time!