PDA

View Full Version : More coaches should teach

Tiny1102
10-21-11, 12:36 pm
Coaches should teach lineman and actually all players to bench with powerlifting form. I work with many kids. I can't tell you how many tell me the coach got mad at them. They wanted them to bench with the arms flared out. I told them to nicely explain to the coach that they are trained by me. Explain to them away from everyone else that it is a much safer way to bench. If players would learn the form, then they would most likely have less shoulder injuries.

Polk17
10-21-11, 9:37 pm
Coaches should teach lineman and actually all players to bench with powerlifting form. I work with many kids. I can't tell you how many tell me the coach got mad at them. They wanted them to bench with the arms flared out. I told them to nicely explain to the coach that they are trained by me. Explain to them away from everyone else that it is a much safer way to bench. If players would learn the form, then they would most likely have less shoulder injuries.

I think more coaches should be educated in the S & C world... To many times coaches are completely clueless to this aspect, and it is such a huge part of athletics...

BigChrisF
10-21-11, 10:28 pm
Most "coaches" just do what the guy before them told them to do. That's how these things get perpetuated. Who needs functioning shoulders anyway? Certainly not athletes.

Polk17
10-22-11, 8:36 am
Most "coaches" just do what the guy before them told them to do. That's how these things get perpetuated. Who needs functioning shoulders anyway? Certainly not athletes.

I coach in college, and do the S & C for all our athletes, and it is amazing some of the shit I hear about and see done with kids... What is even worse to me is some of the shit Dr's and Therapist's subscribe for rehab and otherwise...

I get kids from HS who have never touched a weight, and those that have, have never been taught proper form or ROM... Just amazing... Because I consider S & C to be as important as any other aspect of training, because gaining strength, and improved conditioning did more for me in my athletic career than anything else...

Tiny1102
10-22-11, 5:08 pm
I coach in college, and do the S & C for all our athletes, and it is amazing some of the shit I hear about and see done with kids... What is even worse to me is some of the shit Dr's and Therapist's subscribe for rehab and otherwise...

I get kids from HS who have never touched a weight, and those that have, have never been taught proper form or ROM... Just amazing... Because I consider S & C to be as important as any other aspect of training, because gaining strength, and improved conditioning did more for me in my athletic career than anything else...

A couple of years ago, I took a 62 yr old lifter to Worlds, his first. He was shocked how bad some lifters form were in his age group. Realize some of them have been lifting in meets for more than 30 years, but they had horrible form. This was only my lifters second meet and he easily won.

RENFRO
10-24-11, 11:49 am
After watching you lift at the Arnold and doing some research I started to work a closer grip and tucked in the elbows. Now doing sets with 315 when I used to never touch it. Form makes all the difference.

rev8ball
10-24-11, 12:39 pm
I agree.

Unfortunately, s&c really has only come into the sports world with some legitimacy in the last 15 years or so. Prior to that, sport coaches looked at any type of weightlifting as bad for sport - "muslces make you bulky and slow" and other such nonsense (sadly, though, there are still some sport coaches that still think this currently, and I deal with them on almost a daily basis). Now, the sport sciences in general are finally moving to the forefront in performance improvement and injury prevention.

Two other situations that we have to deal with is:
1. When we get a young athlete who's only experience with weight training is a bodybuilder's routine that they pulled out of Flex, etc. Trying to convince them that a BB'ing routine is not the type of training that will most benefit them is like pulling teeth.
2. The male high school athletes that only want to do bench, curls, and crunches.

*sigh* why do I do this again??

Tiny1102
10-24-11, 3:18 pm
I agree.

Unfortunately, s&c really has only come into the sports world with some legitimacy in the last 15 years or so. Prior to that, sport coaches looked at any type of weightlifting as bad for sport - "muslces make you bulky and slow" and other such nonsense (sadly, though, there are still some sport coaches that still think this currently, and I deal with them on almost a daily basis). Now, the sport sciences in general are finally moving to the forefront in performance improvement and injury prevention.

Two other situations that we have to deal with is:
1. When we get a young athlete who's only experience with weight training is a bodybuilder's routine that they pulled out of Flex, etc. Trying to convince them that a BB'ing routine is not the type of training that will most benefit them is like pulling teeth.
2. The male high school athletes that only want to do bench, curls, and crunches.

*sigh* why do I do this again??

I still think it is even worse if the coaches have no idea what to do. Kids you can train.

rev8ball
10-24-11, 3:50 pm
I still think it is even worse if the coaches have no idea what to do. Kids you can train.

Bingo....