PDA

View Full Version : How about tuna

Tiny1102
10-21-11, 12:40 pm
Is tuna in the new tear away packges good for your diet?

Solid Dreams
10-21-11, 1:46 pm
I think as long as its just the fish and not with a ton of seasonings (which usually means sodium etc) it'll be fine. Fish is always awesome, although you have to be careful with mercury poisoning with tuna.

Tiny1102
10-21-11, 4:45 pm
I think as long as its just the fish and not with a ton of seasonings (which usually means sodium etc) it'll be fine. Fish is always awesome, although you have to be careful with mercury poisoning with tuna.

That is what I am wanting to know. Thanks

PORTERHOUSE
10-21-11, 7:17 pm
I hate tuna, but I have used to flavored packs when I'm on the go because they're just so damn convenient. Sodium yea, but I don't really watch sodium in the off season.

Tiny1102
10-21-11, 9:58 pm
I hate tuna, but I have used to flavored packs when I'm on the go because they're just so damn convenient. Sodium yea, but I don't really watch sodium in the off season.

So you think they are good?

Solid Dreams
10-21-11, 10:00 pm
So you think they are good?

I dont think it matters if you're bulking/whatever, really. If you're trying to lose weight, I try to watch my sodium levels unless its my cheat meal for the week.

BigChrisF
10-22-11, 4:45 am
That is what I am wanting to know. Thanks

If you get farm raised tuna you don't have to worry about mercury contamination. For wild caught, the recommendations that I have read suggest staying under 2 lbs per week for long term consumption.

Back To Basics
10-22-11, 4:55 am
Farm raised tuna? Are you serious? What the .....

BigChrisF
10-22-11, 5:33 pm
Farm raised tuna? Are you serious? What the .....

What specifically about that has you confused?

Tiny1102
10-22-11, 5:33 pm
If you get farm raised tuna you don't have to worry about mercury contamination. For wild caught, the recommendations that I have read suggest staying under 2 lbs per week for long term consumption.

Where do you get that?

Solid Dreams
10-22-11, 5:44 pm
Ox and a lot of people are against farm raised because we eat fish to be healthy, and farm raised fish generally arent.

Back To Basics
10-23-11, 2:30 am
What specifically about that has you confused?

Nothing, was thinking swordfish when I typed that - my bad.

BigChrisF
10-23-11, 5:28 am
Where do you get that?

Do you want to know where to get tuna or where I get the information from? Living in Illinois, I get tuna from the grocery store in cans or foil packets. As for the information, I read it a couple years ago and I don't recall exactly. I believe it was from the FDA website. Through a quick googling, I see that they have lowered their recommendations to accommodate small children and pregnant women. However, the heavier you are, the more mercury or methylmercury you can consume in a period of time before you experience significant neurological damage.

blaine
10-24-11, 6:49 pm
oh no, bumble bee canned albacore tuna stored in water is one of my staples.
I can eat it in a minute and it never gets me full. 26g of protein in one can and its cheap.

Adrenaline
11-23-11, 6:27 pm
tuna is one of the most convienent doses of protein. i typically toss back a couple tins of tuna with some whole wheat pasta, however just the other day i had 3 tins and a bowl of oats pre-workout..so you can say it's pretty versatile in terms of matching it up with a carb or fat. As for the rip away packs of tuna, they look good, but the price is steep compared to tins

Tiny1102
12-28-11, 9:07 pm
tuna is one of the most convienent doses of protein. i typically toss back a couple tins of tuna with some whole wheat pasta, however just the other day i had 3 tins and a bowl of oats pre-workout..so you can say it's pretty versatile in terms of matching it up with a carb or fat. As for the rip away packs of tuna, they look good, but the price is steep compared to tins

Try eating with angel hair pasta.

Pizzalamp
12-29-11, 8:28 am
eat sardines, mackarel, or salmon instead

Aggression
12-29-11, 9:12 am
I pick up a few of those tear-away tuna packs just to have for emergency purposes. I'm not a regular tuna eater, but when I'm looking for something quick to toss in with rice or pasta, I'll use it. For dieting purposes, I'd rather opt for the cans, as the packages tend to have higher sodium levels. It all depends on the strictness of the diet.

Xander
12-29-11, 8:42 pm
Just don't open a pouch of Tuna on a plane.

Tiny1102
12-30-11, 1:04 am
Just don't open a pouch of Tuna on a plane.

Hell, might blend in on some planes..

Tom Williams
01-02-12, 4:43 pm
First off if it lasts more than a week or two without being refrigerated its more than likely not too good for u.

Secondly FDA study's show that by eating canned or bagged tuna of any sort puts u in a "risky situation" for mercury poisoning... but that's just the FDA, wtf do they know lol..

But with all things considered, it has an average of 40-55g's of protein.. so its definitely better than skipping a meal.

BigChrisF
01-02-12, 11:17 pm
That brings up an interesting line of discussion. What does the FDA know?

Tom Williams
01-03-12, 2:49 pm
That brings up an interesting line of discussion. What does the FDA know?

lol.. this should be a new forum topic...