PDA

View Full Version : Legs

Tiny1102
10-21-11, 12:43 pm
Do you train your legs once or two times a week? Why?

RENFRO
10-24-11, 11:47 am
I usually hit them once a week. Its a large group to work and usually takes longer to recover. Some will split it up on different days...but my thoughts have always been to not split a pump between upper and lower on the same day.

Say, if you do some quad work on a bench day...both large muscle groups that want the bloodflow, One group will constrict to feed the other...making it harder to feed that muscle tissue in a PWO anabolic window with a shake. This certainly wouldn't be as big an issue with pairing some upper body movements or compound movements like deads...

Just my opinion as a scientist trying to break it down logically. However, to each their own. Just my way of doing things.

D-NUTZ
10-24-11, 11:53 am
I train everything twice per week in a 3-on, 1-off style split. First three days are my "Power" days where I followed Wendler's 5/3/1 program. Day off. Then next three days are more bodybuilding/hypertrophy specific. Day off.

Ex:
Day 1: 5/3/1 Back/Bis/Abs
Day 2: 5/3/1 Chest/Shoulders/Traps/Tris
Day 3: 5/3/1 Legs/Abs
Day 4: Off
Day 5/6/7/8: Repeat first four days but with hypertrophy style workouts (8-15 reps, more sets, shorter rest, etc.)

When I hit the "Deload" week for the 5/3/1, I deload everything, including the hypertrophy workouts. I do the light 5 rep sets for my 5/3/1 lifts and everything else is a weight I can get for a minimum of 15 reps.

Tiny1102
10-24-11, 3:19 pm
I train everything twice per week in a 3-on, 1-off style split. First three days are my "Power" days where I followed Wendler's 5/3/1 program. Day off. Then next three days are more bodybuilding/hypertrophy specific. Day off.

Ex:
Day 1: 5/3/1 Back/Bis/Abs
Day 2: 5/3/1 Chest/Shoulders/Traps/Tris
Day 3: 5/3/1 Legs/Abs
Day 4: Off
Day 5/6/7/8: Repeat first four days but with hypertrophy style workouts (8-15 reps, more sets, shorter rest, etc.)

When I hit the "Deload" week for the 5/3/1, I deload everything, including the hypertrophy workouts. I do the light 5 rep sets for my 5/3/1 lifts and everything else is a weight I can get for a minimum of 15 reps.

Me personally, I have a hard time training a body part two times a week. I need a full week or two to recover.

Jay
10-24-11, 3:31 pm
I like training everything twice a week but notice after a few weeks I seem to get burnt out.
My leg training is interesting. Up until about 2 years ago I didnt do them and found every excuse NOT to. Now that Ive started, I find that I can work them with a small work load and im sore for a few days. Just 3-4 exercises at 3-5 sets each and im fried.

Joe J
10-24-11, 4:25 pm
From a bodybuilders point of view, once. In my humble opinion if you can train them twice a week you're not training them hard enough. After my legs sessions, they tend to ache all the way up to the next week. Then again, I train HIT, so I wouldn't understand this from the point of view of somebody who trains in a conventional style.

korn_fed
10-24-11, 9:14 pm
I train them three times a week. However, it's not all heavy workouts.
Monday is my heavy day. I do squats, lunges, straight leg deads, and finish up with leg extensions/curls.
Wednesday I work out my legs at physical therapy. I do leg curls (30 reps two legs down two legs up 45 reps two legs down one leg up), different kinds of plyometric exercises on the horizontal squat machine like jumping side-to-side squats, and I also do stuff like balancing on a foam pad on one leg while throwing a 15lb medicine ball against a vertical trampoline 100 times. Basically high reps, only one set on each exercise, and a lot of balance/endurance exercises.
Friday is my light weight high rep day. I do jumping squats, dumbell box step-ups, hack squats, one legged squats, and good mornings (not in this order).
I do calves whenever I get a chance, always triple-setting standing calf raises / seated calf raises / donkey calf raises, for 4 or 5 sets of 20 on each exercise.

ATLAS64
10-25-11, 1:53 am
Every 4th or 5th day and I rotate squat and deadlift each leg work out. Seems to hit the frequency sweet spot for strength. I do the same thing for upper body but I rotate incline and close grip.

Wycked
10-25-11, 2:35 am
I hit a back to back legs schedule meaning I do 2 days of quads a week on back to back days. Been doing this for about a year now and its greatly improved my legs. Day 1 is dedicated to outer quad sweep and lower quad development and day 2 is aimed more @ the inner quad and upper quad development. Try it guys I guarantee u grow if your nutrition and recovery are on point

B.C.
10-25-11, 2:47 am
I can train just about everything twice a week if I want to...except legs. I'm the same way a few of the other posters are, my legs stay sore as hell for days. I don't know why they're so much different than my other body parts, but they are. I tried splitting them up and doing quads and hams on different days, but it just made the pain unbalanced, and I was walking funny 7 days a week instead of 3 or 4. So I went back to just killing it once a week, and dealing with the soreness for a few days.

adidas
10-26-11, 11:24 am
I'm not really sure what my style would qaulify as or qauntify as "leg" training...I guess if I had to give it a number of days my legs are involved in my work outs I would guess at anywhere form 3-5 days a week they are involved. But then again, so is pretty much every other muscle group.