PDA

View Full Version : I never squat

Tiny1102
10-21-11, 1:06 pm
Because I have a very bad back do to a couple of car accidents. I only do leg presses. I can no longer squat. What other leg exercise do you think can really up the mass to your quads?

Solid Dreams
10-21-11, 1:39 pm
Can you do hack squats with a machine? I'm not sure how bad your back is, but when my back was out and I couldnt do real squats, I could still do hacks because of the back support...

Leg extensions and leg curls with heavy weight will still help!

zubda345
10-21-11, 2:39 pm
Can you do hack squats with a machine?

Yupp Leg extension and leg curls will help. and Hacksquat will b a great great substitute if u could do that

Tiny1102
10-21-11, 4:52 pm
I need to start doing hack squats. Maybe when I get back from Worlds

PORTERHOUSE
10-21-11, 7:12 pm
Can you do hack squats with a machine? I'm not sure how bad your back is, but when my back was out and I couldnt do real squats, I could still do hacks because of the back support...

hack smith definitely a good suggestion... I keep 'em in my routine even though I squat.

adidas
10-21-11, 8:54 pm
lunges and box step ups...body squats, Hindu Sqauts, Sissy Sqauts.

Tiny1102
10-21-11, 9:55 pm
lunges and box step ups...body squats, Hindu Sqauts, Sissy Sqauts.

I am not a lunge guy, but I will get to work on the Hack

Solid Dreams
10-21-11, 10:01 pm
One thing you can do that really wears me out is something I saw house do, he would put 2-4 plates on each side on the smith front/back squat machine and do lunges that way, killer workout.

PORTERHOUSE
10-21-11, 10:03 pm
I am not a lunge guy, but I will get to work on the Hack

me neither, I don't believe that a movement like the lunge can tax the muscle enough to convince it to grow.

IMO/experience, there's a difference between something that burns and something that actually causes hypertrophy.

Back To Basics
10-22-11, 4:53 am
me neither, I don't believe that a movement like the lunge can tax the muscle enough to convince it to grow.

IMO/experience, there's a difference between something that burns and something that actually causes hypertrophy.

I don't know man, I used to think oh it's just a lunge not going to do shit but I decided to throw them back in my routine and I love them - They are great for entire leg development and there nice to do super-sets with.

Sinister_TES
10-24-11, 1:07 am
Leg presses with TRUE 3 second negatives for 10-15 reps are awesome for quad growth. Also doing single leg squats on a free motion squat machine (or something similiar) for 10 reps each leg and then doing 20 reps with both legs right after will get them burning

Carrnage
10-24-11, 1:59 am
Because I have a very bad back do to a couple of car accidents. I only do leg presses. I can no longer squat. What other leg exercise do you think can really up the mass to your quads?

Hack Squats, leg extensions, lunges.

Carrnage
10-24-11, 2:03 am

Why not? A lunge is just another leg exercise just like a squat, yes it wont hammer your cns as hard but it really focuses on the muscle, of course your body will grow. And "convince"? If your current settings are right on point (sleep,nutrition,stress,etc.) And you take a muscle through its entire range of motion (full contraction/mid range/full stretch) the muscle will grow.

zubda345
10-24-11, 4:14 am
Why not? A lunge is just another leg exercise just like a squat, yes it wont hammer your cns as hard but it really focuses on the muscle, of course your body will grow. And "convince"? If your current settings are right on point (sleep,nutrition,stress,etc.) And you take a muscle through its entire range of motion (full contraction/mid range/full stretch) the muscle will grow.

I remember The House's interview on MD something like this was written on there: If U don't have huge legs means u do not do lunges, do lunges if u want big legs...

B.C.
10-24-11, 4:59 am
I remember The House's interview on MD something like this was written on there: If U don't have huge legs means u do not do lunges, do lunges if u want big legs...

Yeah he said that in one of his posts on here too. Somebody told him they don't see many guys doing lunges or weighted lunges, and he said...that's why you don't see many guys with 30" thighs.

On the other hand though, it takes some serious work to be able to do lunges with enough added weight to do serious damage to your legs. It requires a lot of effort from supporting muscles, and coordination that you can only get by doing lunges. Straight up BW lunges won't add any kind of beef to your legs unless you're using them to augment something like squats.

To the original post, there are lots of variations to the squat. Just keep trying some until you find a few that work for you. Start light, and progress only as fast as your back will allow.

Tiny1102
10-24-11, 9:28 am
Yeah he said that in one of his posts on here too. Somebody told him they don't see many guys doing lunges or weighted lunges, and he said...that's why you don't see many guys with 30" thighs.

On the other hand though, it takes some serious work to be able to do lunges with enough added weight to do serious damage to your legs. It requires a lot of effort from supporting muscles, and coordination that you can only get by doing lunges. Straight up BW lunges won't add any kind of beef to your legs unless you're using them to augment something like squats.

To the original post, there are lots of variations to the squat. Just keep trying some until you find a few that work for you. Start light, and progress only as fast as your back will allow.

Well I have big legs, but I don't like lunges. I would rather go very heavy leg presses with lots of reps. Still I need to give the hack squat a shot.

D-NUTZ
10-24-11, 12:07 pm
Well I have big legs, but I don't like lunges. I would rather go very heavy leg presses with lots of reps. Still I need to give the hack squat a shot.

Yeah Tiny, give that hack squat a go. If you can find the right machine, it could very well be your new favorite movement for quads. I know it was mine after my first go at them.

KoncreteKyle
10-24-11, 12:43 pm
That sucks to hear my man. Since I'm not to familiar with the extent at which you are able to do some exercises, I'll share with you what I have done to work around my protruding disc injury on my L7. People always preach "want big legs, always go heavy with complex movements" ... this is kind of true but I have found a better alternative. Here is my workout program.

Pre-fatigue is something almost no one wants to do on leg day for fear of not looking "badass" for others. Its cool to have 10 plates on each side of your leg press or 4 plates on each side of your squats while your just bangin reps out. For guys with injuries (and most in general) pre-fatiguing wont "look" as cool, but lead to healthier lifting and gains IMO.

Start off leg day with your isolation movements to exhaust the muscles and deplete glycogen. Once you have exhausted the the muscles, you wont be able to go very heavy at all on the compound movements. Since most Iso movements are stationary, you have a lesser chance of injury and using lesser weights in compound movements will also lead to a more safe lift.

Example workout:
Standing Leg curls: 2 warm-up sets
Standing Leg curls: 5 x 8 - 14
Leg Extensions: 2 warm-up sets
Leg Extensions: 6 x 8 - 14
Seated Leg Curls: 4 x 8 - 14
Leg Press: 5 x 8 - 12
ATG Squats: 3 x failure (this is more for working the glutes than legs. Your quads and hams should be so fried by this point that you can only do 135lbs. Focusing more on the gluteal squeeze and forward hip articulation will help re-strengthen the inner support muscles in your abs and lower back)

*Since a majority of leg workouts are quad dominant, I prefer to pre-fatigue hams more than quads. Also, remember all the lifting basics (i.e. drive with the heels, utilize proper TUT, rest-period utilization, etc.)

Hopes this helps you out and gets you back in the game brother

Respect,
-Koncrete

Tiny1102
10-24-11, 3:15 pm
Yeah Tiny, give that hack squat a go. If you can find the right machine, it could very well be your new favorite movement for quads. I know it was mine after my first go at them.

I have one at my gym, but it needs to be a little heavier. I hope to get a new one in December and get to work.

Joe J
10-24-11, 6:20 pm
Smith Hacks are my favourite leg movement, they will really take it out of you. I personally hate lunges.

Carrnage
10-25-11, 3:54 pm
Everyone hates lunges, when they are the best leg hypertrophy exercise next to squats!

Master things you hate!

Come out of your comfort zone!

Dominate!

PORTERHOUSE
10-25-11, 6:42 pm
And "convince"?

Yes, convince it. There's a difference between a movement that will "burn" and a movement that will trigger, or, "convince" the muscle to grow. I'm not sure what you're not getting about that. Next time, try to use your intellect to draw connections together between concepts you may find abstract.

PORTERHOUSE
10-25-11, 6:46 pm
they are the best leg hypertrophy exercise next to squats!

You sure about that? How can we prove this concept? or is this more of your unquantifiable "I know everything" drivel?

KoncreteKyle
10-25-11, 7:02 pm
You sure about that? How can we prove this concept? or is this more of your unquantifiable "I know everything" drivel?

Anecdotal evidence ... the only kind needed to prove a point bahahahaha

Joe J
10-25-11, 7:28 pm
Everyone hates lunges, when they are the best leg hypertrophy exercise next to squats!

How's this? Can you explain?

PORTERHOUSE
10-25-11, 8:24 pm
Anecdotal evidence ... the only kind needed to prove a point bahahahaha

I agree about anecdotal evidence for an individual, but I am commenting more in terms of speaking in absolutes. Just because a lunge has proven very effective for someone doesn't mean it can be generalized to an entire population. This is why carrnage and I always bump heads.

Carrnage
10-26-11, 12:51 am
Yes, convince it. There's a difference between a movement that will "burn" and a movement that will trigger, or, "convince" the muscle to grow. I'm not sure what you're not getting about that. Next time, try to use your intellect to draw connections together between concepts you may find abstract.

Sorry to anger you, lol. I forgot you have a short temper...sort of like me too! hah

So if a muscle doesn't get a "burn" then what is the "burn" there for? If your talking about a burn on leg extensions and squats in your quads I see your point, but my point is you should feel a "burn" on every exercise to ensure you are targeting the muscle 100 percent.

Carrnage
10-26-11, 12:52 am
That sucks to hear my man. Since I'm not to familiar with the extent at which you are able to do some exercises, I'll share with you what I have done to work around my protruding disc injury on my L7. People always preach "want big legs, always go heavy with complex movements" ... this is kind of true but I have found a better alternative. Here is my workout program.

Pre-fatigue is something almost no one wants to do on leg day for fear of not looking "badass" for others. Its cool to have 10 plates on each side of your leg press or 4 plates on each side of your squats while your just bangin reps out. For guys with injuries (and most in general) pre-fatiguing wont "look" as cool, but lead to healthier lifting and gains IMO.

Start off leg day with your isolation movements to exhaust the muscles and deplete glycogen. Once you have exhausted the the muscles, you wont be able to go very heavy at all on the compound movements. Since most Iso movements are stationary, you have a lesser chance of injury and using lesser weights in compound movements will also lead to a more safe lift.

Example workout:
Standing Leg curls: 2 warm-up sets
Standing Leg curls: 5 x 8 - 14
Leg Extensions: 2 warm-up sets
Leg Extensions: 6 x 8 - 14
Seated Leg Curls: 4 x 8 - 14
Leg Press: 5 x 8 - 12
ATG Squats: 3 x failure (this is more for working the glutes than legs. Your quads and hams should be so fried by this point that you can only do 135lbs. Focusing more on the gluteal squeeze and forward hip articulation will help re-strengthen the inner support muscles in your abs and lower back)

*Since a majority of leg workouts are quad dominant, I prefer to pre-fatigue hams more than quads. Also, remember all the lifting basics (i.e. drive with the heels, utilize proper TUT, rest-period utilization, etc.)

Hopes this helps you out and gets you back in the game brother

Respect,
-Koncrete

There ya go! Train like a bodybuilder! If you want size without injuries that is!

PORTERHOUSE
10-26-11, 10:30 am
Sorry to anger you, lol. I forgot you have a short temper...sort of like me too! hah

So if a muscle doesn't get a "burn" then what is the "burn" there for? If your talking about a burn on leg extensions and squats in your quads I see your point, but my point is you should feel a "burn" on every exercise to ensure you are targeting the muscle 100 percent.

Yea on here, for some reason I do. In real life I'm actually a nice guy though, believe it or not.

What I'm trying to say is, that while I believe you should absolutely feel a "burn" or however you want to describe it to trigger hypertrophy, that just because a burn is there doesn't guarantee muscle growth, because there is more to it then that... does that make sense? Im not sure if I'm doing a good job explaining this.

To put it another way, if a burn was all you needed to trigger hypertrophy, then every marathon runner would have killer quads, and all we would have to do to pull off a bodybuilding physique is distance running and row machine, because that shit burns, but it doesn't make you big.

adidas
10-26-11, 11:11 am
if you don't like "Lunges" you can do Split Squats (http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/split-squat-technique.html) instead...

Carrnage
10-26-11, 4:39 pm
Yea on here, for some reason I do. In real life I'm actually a nice guy though, believe it or not.

What I'm trying to say is, that while I believe you should absolutely feel a "burn" or however you want to describe it to trigger hypertrophy, that just because a burn is there doesn't guarantee muscle growth, because there is more to it then that... does that make sense? Im not sure if I'm doing a good job explaining this.

To put it another way, if a burn was all you needed to trigger hypertrophy, then every marathon runner would have killer quads, and all we would have to do to pull off a bodybuilding physique is distance running and row machine, because that shit burns, but it doesn't make you big.

Completely agree 100 percent, well I was talking about feeling a burn within 6-10 reps which for majority of us is the sweet spot as far as training stimulus goes. And yeah if you did super high reps marathon style then you wouldnt be big obviously.

Sorry for the misunderstanding!

Joe J
10-27-11, 7:43 am
I'm interested to see what you guys think of this leg workout:

Leg Extensions - 1x15, 1x10-12, 1xfailure
Leg Press - 1x10-12, 1xfailure
Smith Hack Squat - 1x10-12, 1xfailure
Lying Leg Curls - 1x10-12, 1xfailure
Stiff Leg DL - 1xfailure

Solid Dreams
10-27-11, 7:53 am
That's Dorian's leg workout, right?

It'll work wonders IF you can do what he does and work it beyond failure, not just to failure. Have someone help you rep extra when you think you're finished, and you'll definitely get bigger.

Joe J
10-27-11, 8:27 am
That's Dorian's leg workout, right?

It'll work wonders IF you can do what he does and work it beyond failure, not just to failure. Have someone help you rep extra when you think you're finished, and you'll definitely get bigger.

Yeah it's Dorians workout, it definitely works for me, and I'm not interested in changing it. Just looking to see what peoples opinions are on it.

Carrnage
10-27-11, 7:33 pm
I'm interested to see what you guys think of this leg workout:

Leg Extensions - 1x15, 1x10-12, 1xfailure
Leg Press - 1x10-12, 1xfailure
Smith Hack Squat - 1x10-12, 1xfailure
Lying Leg Curls - 1x10-12, 1xfailure
Stiff Leg DL - 1xfailure

If you go to true failure doing a low amount of volume will work. DONT EVEN THINK about going in the gym alone if your doing HIT. Even on leg days, have a partner as motivated as you are to get those forced reps out of you, majority of us stop when we are about to hit failure on any leg exercise because of the burn/pain.