PDA

View Full Version : Unable to keep bench tightness at lockout. Wtf?

JeremyT
11-10-11, 12:54 pm
Hey guys

For the past couple weeks I have had alot of trouble with my bench. I get set up, with my shoulder blades pinched back and tight into the bench, but when I go to press and get close to locking out i start to feel a pull in the back of my shoulders, esspecially the right like it wants to get pulled forwards out of the tightness. Last week this happened and i finished the press, but i felt a sort of weird movement in my shoulder, and although it doesn't hurt, it just doesn't feel right. I definately feel tighter on the right side of my shoulder in the front and back, even up my neck following this. Just curious if any of you guys have had this problem staying tight on the bench, and how you could stretch to fix it a bit, because I feel like I'm setting myself up to tear something in my shoulder and last week i just escaped. Even though it feels a bit wonky when I move it in circles now. Hope I didn't do something bad to it.

Thanks!

Carrnage
11-10-11, 1:43 pm
Wait whats your goal? And why are you locking out?

JeremyT
11-10-11, 2:19 pm
Wait whats your goal? And why are you locking out?

My goal would be to make my chest and upper body bigger and stronger. My real goal is just to get bigger and eventually (if i ever get above 160 pounds) step on stage, but since I have had little to no luck with that so far due partially to myself and partially due to shitty genetics and being really tall, I have been trying to get stronger to compensate for my lack of size. I guess I was hoping that if I got stronger, the size would just naturally come. I was locking out because I guess that's how i figured one should bench; with a full ROM.

Solid Dreams
11-10-11, 2:21 pm
Instead of locking out, you want to find out where you feel the tightness, the pressure of the weight on your chest, and maintain that full range of motion. I'm not sure about the shoulders slipping out, but if you've got long arms and you're locking out that'll probably affect it.

willah
11-10-11, 7:35 pm
Hey Jeremy, good to see you around these parts again.

I've been doing more of a PL-style bench lately and this trick helped me keep my back tight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzvLjdj9veU

Not the best video, but you get the point. This helps you get super tight before you even take your grip on the bar. If you aren't keeping upper back tightness and the scapula retracted, the band will just shoot your hands together.

Carrnage
11-10-11, 9:41 pm
My goal would be to make my chest and upper body bigger and stronger. My real goal is just to get bigger and eventually (if i ever get above 160 pounds) step on stage, but since I have had little to no luck with that so far due partially to myself and partially due to shitty genetics and being really tall, I have been trying to get stronger to compensate for my lack of size. I guess I was hoping that if I got stronger, the size would just naturally come. I was locking out because I guess that's how i figured one should bench; with a full ROM.

Shitty genetics? There is no such thing as shitty genetics, the people who say they have shitty genetics just havent found out how their body works yet, nor do they know much about building muscle / staying healthy. Just because you have difficult putting on muscle/losing fat doesnt mean you have shitty genetics, its just you lack in knowledge, and my friend, its your lucky day!

Check out this thread! Read all of it too!

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?37389-A-must-read-for-anyone-with-muscle-building-fat-loss-goals

mcbeast
11-10-11, 10:04 pm
Yes! Now that I know that genetics dont have to do with anything I can finnaly start working on being the worlds strongest man, or better yet Mr. Olympia 2020!

Bench with a full range of motion.
Eat lots of food.
Train your lats & rear delts vigorously.
Put more weight on the bar..
Then begin tweaking your range of motion for more chest contractions and all that good stuff.

Carrnage
11-10-11, 10:51 pm
Yes! Now that I know that genetics dont have to do with anything I can finnaly start working on being the worlds strongest man, or better yet Mr. Olympia 2020!

Bench with a full range of motion.
Eat lots of food.
Train your lats & rear delts vigorously.
Put more weight on the bar..
Then begin tweaking your range of motion for more chest contractions and all that good stuff.

1) no do not bench with a full range of motion, a full range of motion for a muscle is different than a full range of motion for a exercise (pm if you do not understand) benching with a full range of motion will just give you ligament/joint issues over time, and shitty chest development

2)eat quality food, and not alot of it, quality over quantity my friend, eating alot of food dirty or bad wont benefit you, unless you really know what your doing (unless you want to get fat/unhealthy)

3)you should train everything vigorously

4)NO! DO NOT PUT MORE WEIGHT ON THE BAR!! find how to put greater tension on the tageted muscle every workout, that should be your goal

5)Tweak all your movements to get the best stretches/contractions, and yes....all that good stuff. lol

never_2_big
11-10-11, 10:55 pm
1) no do not bench with a full range of motion, a full range of motion for a muscle is different than a full range of motion for a exercise (pm if you do not understand) benching with a full range of motion will just give you ligament/joint issues over time, and shitty chest development

2)eat quality food, and not alot of it, quality over quantity my friend, eating alot of food dirty or bad wont benefit you, unless you really know what your doing (unless you want to get fat/unhealthy)

3)you should train everything vigorously

4)NO! DO NOT PUT MORE WEIGHT ON THE BAR!! find how to put greater tension on the tageted muscle every workout, that should be your goal

5)Tweak all your movements to get the best stretches/contractions, and yes....all that good stuff. lol

Great advice Carnage!

Tiny1102
11-13-11, 4:30 pm
Hey guys

For the past couple weeks I have had alot of trouble with my bench. I get set up, with my shoulder blades pinched back and tight into the bench, but when I go to press and get close to locking out i start to feel a pull in the back of my shoulders, esspecially the right like it wants to get pulled forwards out of the tightness. Last week this happened and i finished the press, but i felt a sort of weird movement in my shoulder, and although it doesn't hurt, it just doesn't feel right. I definately feel tighter on the right side of my shoulder in the front and back, even up my neck following this. Just curious if any of you guys have had this problem staying tight on the bench, and how you could stretch to fix it a bit, because I feel like I'm setting myself up to tear something in my shoulder and last week i just escaped. Even though it feels a bit wonky when I move it in circles now. Hope I didn't do something bad to it.

Thanks!

It also could depend on the bench you are lifting on. Also, do you keep your elbows in during the entire lift? If you flare out, your shoulders could slip out.

Tiny1102
11-13-11, 4:31 pm
What amount of weight are you lifting when this happens? Is this close to your max?