PDA

View Full Version : The sleep issue

BA
11-19-11, 7:35 am
I'm having insomnia and it's getting in the way of my training. I go to bed and I'll be laying there hours later pissed because I can't pass out. This is a frequent thing and it has gotten old fast. I've tried natural sleep aids and even small doses of diphenhydramine. Nothing seems to work. I went to bed around midnight and it's 4:29 in the am. I was planning on working legs and then off to work. So basically I go train, it's shit. I go to work, I'm shit. Thoughts?

Lifting_Is_Life
11-19-11, 11:28 am
I'm having insomnia and it's getting in the way of my training. I go to bed and I'll be laying there hours later pissed because I can't pass out. This is a frequent thing and it has gotten old fast. I've tried natural sleep aids and even small doses of diphenhydramine. Nothing seems to work. I went to bed around midnight and it's 4:29 in the am. I was planning on working legs and then off to work. So basically I go train, it's shit. I go to work, I'm shit. Thoughts?

Hit the sack earlier. I've had sleep problems my entire life and it does suck. Takes me hours to go to sleep then 30 minutes later I'll wake up for no reason. I also found that if I leave my iPod on or some form of music, it doesn't let my mind wonder and I'm able to finally fall asleep

N. Motta
11-19-11, 11:45 am

Sounds goofy, but try meditating. Find a relaxing song on Youtube and sit there and just clear your mind. Only think about your breathing. I'm not an expert on it, but I've tried it a couple times and it seemed to really relax me.

Solid Dreams
11-19-11, 1:18 pm
Have you tried animal PM or ZMA or GABA? Those relax me a lot. Other people have used GH Max and that knocks them right out, even with sleep issues.

Alternatively, throw on some pink floyd like Shine On You Crazy Diamonds and just listen to that.

BA
11-19-11, 4:25 pm
Hit the sack earlier. I've had sleep problems my entire life and it does suck. Takes me hours to go to sleep then 30 minutes later I'll wake up for no reason. I also found that if I leave my iPod on or some form of music, it doesn't let my mind wonder and I'm able to finally fall asleep
I work in the afternoons bro. I get off of work around 11:30 most nights so sleep at midnight is early to me. I will definitely give the music idea a try.

Sounds goofy, but try meditating. Find a relaxing song on Youtube and sit there and just clear your mind. Only think about your breathing. I'm not an expert on it, but I've tried it a couple times and it seemed to really relax me.
I've tried meditation before and I can't put enough concentration into it to get the benefit. I always get worked up because I can't help but think I'd rather be deadlifting.

Have you tried animal PM or ZMA or GABA? Those relax me a lot. Other people have used GH Max and that knocks them right out, even with sleep issues.

Alternatively, throw on some pink floyd like Shine On You Crazy Diamonds and just listen to that.
I used to take ZMA once upon a time but I didn't feel a sleep benefit from it. I will give GABA a shot. Thanks.

N. Motta
11-19-11, 6:20 pm
Sounds like you just need to train yourself to chill out man. I can relate to getting worked up about not getting my sack time. But obviously, it just makes it worse. Figure something out to allow yourself to quit bein so neurotic.

This might get me in trouble but, have you tried weed? Haha

Back To Basics
11-19-11, 9:01 pm
This might get me in trouble but, have you tried medical Marijuana prescribed by a registered General practitioner Haha

Fixed.

mcbeast
11-19-11, 9:23 pm

Youtube has some serious relaxation music. First I would play it while messing around on here, or somewhere else online. After a few minutes I would go open the youtube page back up, keep listening. Just "clear my mind". Within a few minutes I feel groggy, go lay down and ass out. Melatonin + Zma helps too..

N. Motta
11-19-11, 9:25 pm
Fixed.

Spot on.

Carrnage
11-19-11, 9:47 pm

Well lets see, theres so many things to address, can you write out your daily meal plan for us? And your supplementation? Any extra stress in your life? How much sets are you taking to failure each workout? How many days do you workout per week? If your training very intense it could be that you deficient in some sort of vitamin or mineral. We can start from here, you can pm me about this if you want!

No fear Carrnage is here!

MELTDOWN
11-19-11, 10:33 pm
My bro in law had similar issues. His body was shot, dead tired, but his mind was WFO and wouldnt shut off.
He finally got some waterfall, waves, rain music going in the background and would read. Almost 2 weeks or so later he was back on track. His doc told him it was some kind of rhythm / re focus process.

Maybe give something like that a try.

Sandman
11-20-11, 12:20 am
Try PM. I have had insomnia since I was 14 and it worked wonders for me. I was like you, I would lay there thinking for hours. I tried all the natural stuff even tried a couple of prescriptions nothing worked. I even on my off days when im not exhausted from training I take my PM and sleep like a baby.

MattG
11-20-11, 1:26 am
I agree with anyone recomending PM. 2 and a half years ago I experienced a Traumatic brain injury, and took almost 2years to heal, but once it healed I was diagnosed with delayed phase sleep syndrome. I tried so many different things to fall asleep, but just like you I would go to bed and 3 or 4 sometimes 5 hours later I would be so frustrated that I couldn't sleep, and the more mad you get the harder it is to sleep lol, anyways PM is the only thing that has worked for me and it doesnt always work but usually gets the job done. Also, if you aren't getting enough vitamin D, add some of that in there, as vitamin D defficiency can often cause sleep problems. Along with that, always be sure to eat a meal before you go to bed, within an hour, and try to avoid showering before bed.

BA
11-20-11, 3:35 am
Sounds like you just need to train yourself to chill out man. I can relate to getting worked up about not getting my sack time. But obviously, it just makes it worse. Figure something out to allow yourself to quit bein so neurotic.

This might get me in trouble but, have you tried weed? Haha
Mixed feelings about it but to put it simple. Have done it. Didn't like it. Discovered bodybuilding. Won't do it again.

Youtube has some serious relaxation music. First I would play it while messing around on here, or somewhere else online. After a few minutes I would go open the youtube page back up, keep listening. Just "clear my mind". Within a few minutes I feel groggy, go lay down and ass out. Melatonin + Zma helps too..
That sounds great. Would you mind PMing me the links?

Well lets see, theres so many things to address, can you write out your daily meal plan for us? And your supplementation? Any extra stress in your life? How much sets are you taking to failure each workout? How many days do you workout per week? If your training very intense it could be that you deficient in some sort of vitamin or mineral. We can start from here, you can pm me about this if you want!

Peak days 3500cals, 350g protein, 300g carbs, 80g fat. As low as 2200cals, 230g protein, 100 carbs, 30g fat. All derived from chicken, eggs, fish, rice, sweet potatoes, nuts and fruit. Just depends. Main supps are B-50, multi, vitamin C, fish oil 2g x 3 doses throughout the day, zinc 50mg, Don't know about set failure. But I don't go for pumps. I go to get shit done. I visit the weight room about 4 to 5 days a week. Usually leg days fall on date night with the wifey. Don't know why but it does damn near every time.

My bro in law had similar issues. His body was shot, dead tired, but his mind was WFO and wouldnt shut off.
He finally got some waterfall, waves, rain music going in the background and would read. Almost 2 weeks or so later he was back on track. His doc told him it was some kind of rhythm / re focus process.

Most definitely.

Try PM. I have had insomnia since I was 14 and it worked wonders for me. I was like you, I would lay there thinking for hours. I tried all the natural stuff even tried a couple of prescriptions nothing worked. I even on my off days when im not exhausted from training I take my PM and sleep like a baby.
Bought Gaba today. If nothing I'll try PM next.

I agree with anyone recomending PM. 2 and a half years ago I experienced a Traumatic brain injury, and took almost 2years to heal, but once it healed I was diagnosed with delayed phase sleep syndrome. I tried so many different things to fall asleep, but just like you I would go to bed and 3 or 4 sometimes 5 hours later I would be so frustrated that I couldn't sleep, and the more mad you get the harder it is to sleep lol, anyways PM is the only thing that has worked for me and it doesnt always work but usually gets the job done. Also, if you aren't getting enough vitamin D, add some of that in there, as vitamin D defficiency can often cause sleep problems. Along with that, always be sure to eat a meal before you go to bed, within an hour, and try to avoid showering before bed.
Sounds like you've come a long way since your accident. Good shit bro. I never knew the connection between sleep and vitamin D. Will look into that too.

Wycked
11-20-11, 4:03 am
I would strongly recommend u speak to your doctor about possible sleep aids like ambiant it might be appropriate for someone like u. If u choose to continue on the natural route via supplementation I recommend u try melatonin and about 3 tbslp of tart cherry juice before bed. U will be out fuckin cold in no time

zubda345
11-20-11, 4:59 am

I have the same troubles as u have... Sleep always gets in my way of eating, studying and training.

Music will help me 30-40 % of time but mostly whenever I will get sleepy listening to the music, I'll get up to turn it off and after it's turned off, I can't sleep again, sounds stupid but that's the case.

But i have something that helps me. Before going to bed I would open my college work try to solve some questions, and eventually I wouldn't b able to even add and multiply correctly or not even b able to learn a line, at that time I would know I can sleep, but that never happens before midnight, and sometimes I would even get up at 3 or 4 am and couldn't sleep again. but past 3 days have gone pretty good, I have been sleping for 1-2 hours after college and then at night. Hope it keeps on going that way

Solid Dreams
11-20-11, 11:21 am
I would strongly recommend u speak to your doctor about possible sleep aids like ambiant it might be appropriate for someone like u. If u choose to continue on the natural route via supplementation I recommend u try melatonin and about 3 tbslp of tart cherry juice before bed. U will be out fuckin cold in no time

The only reason I didnt recommend melatonin, which works for sure, is that it makes me groggy/grumpy. Not sure if that was worth the sleep for him.

N. Motta
11-20-11, 12:16 pm

I really think this sounds the most practical and the most healthy. I'm strongly against the use of prescription sleep aids. The dependance on those things is spooky, not to mention some of the reported cases of people sleep walking/tripping out on them. Far too many americans turn to prescription drugs for problems.

MattG
11-20-11, 1:33 pm
I really think this sounds the most practical and the most healthy. I'm strongly against the use of prescription sleep aids. The dependance on those things is spooky, not to mention some of the reported cases of people sleep walking/tripping out on them. Far too many americans turn to prescription drugs for problems.

Couldn't have said it better....

Carrnage
11-20-11, 4:23 pm
Mixed feelings about it but to put it simple. Have done it. Didn't like it. Discovered bodybuilding. Won't do it again.

That sounds great. Would you mind PMing me the links?

Peak days 3500cals, 350g protein, 300g carbs, 80g fat. As low as 2200cals, 230g protein, 100 carbs, 30g fat. All derived from chicken, eggs, fish, rice, sweet potatoes, nuts and fruit. Just depends. Main supps are B-50, multi, vitamin C, fish oil 2g x 3 doses throughout the day, zinc 50mg, Don't know about set failure. But I don't go for pumps. I go to get shit done. I visit the weight room about 4 to 5 days a week. Usually leg days fall on date night with the wifey. Don't know why but it does damn near every time.

Most definitely.

Bought Gaba today. If nothing I'll try PM next.

Sounds like you've come a long way since your accident. Good shit bro. I never knew the connection between sleep and vitamin D. Will look into that too.

350g of protein?!! What are you thinking?! I don't even take that much lol.....PM ME BRO!!! We'll fix this issue. (if your serious that is, if not, then dont pm me)

BA
11-21-11, 2:35 am
I have the same troubles as u have... Sleep always gets in my way of eating, studying and training.

Music will help me 30-40 % of time but mostly whenever I will get sleepy listening to the music, I'll get up to turn it off and after it's turned off, I can't sleep again, sounds stupid but that's the case.

But i have something that helps me. Before going to bed I would open my college work try to solve some questions, and eventually I wouldn't b able to even add and multiply correctly or not even b able to learn a line, at that time I would know I can sleep, but that never happens before midnight, and sometimes I would even get up at 3 or 4 am and couldn't sleep again. but past 3 days have gone pretty good, I have been sleping for 1-2 hours after college and then at night. Hope it keeps on going that way
I used an hour long youtube video of the sound of rain hitting a metal roof. Along with the gaba I mentioned. Knocked right out. Woke up completely rested in 7 hours.

The only reason I didnt recommend melatonin, which works for sure, is that it makes me groggy/grumpy. Not sure if that was worth the sleep for him.
I used to take melatonin awhile back. Stuff works but my body laughed at the smaller doses after awhile. Even when used infrequently. Took more and more and though never grumpy being lethargic the first hours of my was too much.

Chemicals. No bueno.

350g of protein?!! What are you thinking?! I don't even take that much lol.....PM ME BRO!!! We'll fix this issue. (if your serious that is, if not, then dont pm me)
I know, I know. Sounds bananas, right? That's only for peak days when I eat additional meals. I don't normally go that high so don't think that. But I'm actually a fairly big guy at 270lbs. I eat! And I'm no animal athlete but I carry my weight well.

Solid Dreams
11-21-11, 6:12 am
Good to hear it worked!

Wycked
11-22-11, 3:41 am

Ya I hear I recommended it but I hate the stuff I feel sketchy the whole next day after I take it

Lightnin'
11-23-11, 11:27 am
One tactic my doc told me that I have passed on to my son is to slow down your breathing. When you are laying in bed consciously think about your breathing and breathing slowly. Something like 3-4 seconds in and 3-4 seconds out. You will be totally relaxed in no time. Slowing down your breathing slows your heart rate which relaxes you and helps you fall asleep. This has worked wonders for me, seriously.

Also, melatonin didn't work for me but it works for my son so give that a shot too.

One question, are you able to change up your workout time? I changed mine from 5:30pm to noon and have slept much better.

Cranky
11-23-11, 12:14 pm

Best suggestion Ive seen so far. Helps me If my mind is spinning and full of bullshit. Try getting used to it in other times other than before bed.

Carrnage
11-23-11, 8:55 pm

Before bed do this (starting 60 mins before you plan to go into bed)

1)Cut out all the light in your room
2)Have a mp3 and listnen to music that makes you feel calm
3)Have a small dim light(not too bright) and write things down (use the dim light to see what your writing obviously)
4)Take a ZMA based product 60 mins before bed
5)Take a 5-HTP based product 30 mins before bed
6)Take a GABA based product 15 mins before bed
7)Your adrenal glands are probably fatigued! Heavy stimulant use / stress in life / too much intensity in the weight room without the raw materials to recover must be addressed!
8)Hos=Heart outa shape! Which can lead to poor sleep/insomnia. Incorporate some high intensity interval cardio sessions during the week to keep that heart healthy! Forget the low intensity walking Bullshit that pro bodybuilders do!!! High intensity baby!
9)You may be deficient in some sort of vitamin/mineral. Which ones? That I wouldn't know.
10)Keep your insulin receptors stable at night, save the carbohydrates low/high GI around your workout. Constant insulin spikes leads to several health issues.
11)Eat green veggies / greens based product 2-4 times a day for better alkalinity which will result in better overall function for your body. When everything is right, everything works right!
12)And the list can go on and on!

Your welcome.

JeremyT
11-23-11, 8:57 pm
Honestly for me, whenever I take Animal PM it doesn't let me sleep deeply. I would wake up during the night, and I never felt rested. I took it for a week and this happened everytime, and when i stopped i went back to sleeping like a rock with my normal sleep aid.

Honestly, I could get flamed for this, but a little bowl of bud before bed will make you sleep like a rock, without the effects of most sleep aids. Its what I do most days and honestly I get some of the best sleep I have ever had. I know that talking about that is not allowed on this forum, and you might not be able to find it, but its the only thing that lets me sleep anymore.

Just my 0.02$

aussie bulk
11-23-11, 11:53 pm
not to sound too base or lower the tone..... but what really helps me sleep is giving the wife a tap on the shoulder in bed and seeing if we can have a bit of a bed wrestle.

Once that train leaves the station I will sleep like a baby.

TheWolf
11-24-11, 1:36 pm

Didn't know you posted here kiddo!

Back To Basics
11-24-11, 7:32 pm

I don't think it's the same Carnage as the MD one...

Carrnage
11-25-11, 7:12 pm

Huh? This is the only forum I go on. I use to go on md years ago. The carnage on there is not me! lol I know hes big and black too haha.