PDA

View Full Version : Stand up today, or kneel down tomorrow

Sprint
11-25-11, 7:42 am
Walking home from work yesterday, about 10mins from my house, in the distance I saw 5 kids, 4 lads & lass, aged about 12 in their school uniforms standing in a bit of a group.
As I got closer, 1 of the kids was knelt down beside 1 of the bikes led on the floor. As I reached them, about to go around, 1 of the lads looked at me with tears streaming down his face. In a broken voice, he said "Can you help me please?"

Initially, I thought he had a problem with his bike, & the kid kneeling beside it was trying to fix it. The kid then quickly stood up & looked at me.

"What's up?" I asked the crying lad. I've got no idea about bikes, & feared I was about to further crush him by being unable to help.

"Get them off" he pleaded, gesturing at the others.

Now, all of a sudden, I understood what the problem was. For whatever reason, these 4 were giving this lad a hard time. The 1 who had been knelt down was about to do something to his bike, either removing the chain or letting the tyres down. Once that was done, who knew what else the group had planned for the lone victim.

Simultaneously I felt both pity for the lad, for being so scared he felt compelled to plead to a complete stranger for help, and anger towards the scum who had to roam in numbers to quench their cowardly, nasty thirst for causing misery.

I shot a look at the one who had been kneeling, & he began to stutter.

"He's being a -" was all he managed, as he tried to justify the situation.

Interrupting him, I turned back to their victim.

"Which way are you going, mate?" I asked.

He pointed down the road, the same way I was heading.

I turned back to the gang, now looking decidedly uneasy in my presence.

"What way are you lot going?" I demanded.

"That way" one of them replied, & pointed in the direction I had just come. The opposite way to where the other lad was going. This shit didn't need the UN to come sort it out.

"Right mate, grab your bike & get going" I said to the victim, & as he sped off, I turned to the others.

"Off you go, NOW!" I snarled at them, pointing down the road with my thumb.

He'll probably get battered tomorrow at school, but there's no way I was going to stand by whilst 4 bullies savage a lone victim. Maybe he deserved a kicking, I don't know. I didn't even want to hear the supposed justification, 4 on 1 isn't fair & it wasn't going to happen whilst I cross the road & look the other way. Certainly not in my neighbourhood.

I feel those of us who are in the position, for whatever reason, where we are too hard a target for bullies should find it within ourselves to stand up for those who are unable. There's more than enough evil shit in the world, as our brave armed forces can testify to first-hand, without us turning on each other. With Remembrance Day still fresh in the memory, I would've thought at least some respect for those around us would still linger.

They were only kids, sometimes I look at the past & weep for the future.

Cranky
11-25-11, 8:29 am
Well played Sprint. Good move stopping what could have been an even worse outcome that it already was. I hate hearing about shit like this, being outnumbered. Nobody seems to properly parent their kids nowadays. Things could have been so much worse If it went on. What If they killed that kid? What If the bullying has been going on for a while and this kid decides to stop it by bringing a gun to school? They must have stopped teaching cause and effect in school cause these kids are worse than my generation was.
Its also important to remember that you cant lay your hands on little bastards like this If they arent 18.

Sprint
11-25-11, 8:41 am
Well played Sprint. Good move stopping what could have been an even worse outcome that it already was. I hate hearing about shit like this, being outnumbered. Nobody seems to properly parent their kids nowadays. Things could have been so much worse If it went on. What If they killed that kid? What If the bullying has been going on for a while and this kid decides to stop it by bringing a gun to school? They must have stopped teaching cause and effect in school cause these kids are worse than my generation was.
Its also important to remember that you cant lay your hands on little bastards like this If they arent 18.

That's exactly it. A couple of my friends, upon hearing this, asked "Why didn't you just give them a good slap?"

First of all, like you said you can't just go around doing that to youngsters (& shouldn't do it to people of any age really) & secondly, where do you draw the line there?

Fortunately I worked for a few years on the doors of nightclubs, & have got some experience of being able to verbally sort potential situations out with enough authority/aggression to maintain control, but without escalating things into a compete furball.

You do have to question the education of a group of youths who think it's perfectly acceptable to set upon a single person, in broad daylight.

Noob Saibot
11-25-11, 9:57 am
Nice job man. As for the future, you may have impacted it more than you know. All of them, mostly the victim experienced a total stranger stepping in to do the right thing. Hopefully one of them will find some inspiration in it, and do the same some day in a similar circumstance.

Sprint
11-25-11, 10:06 am
Nice job man. As for the future, you may have impacted it more than you know. All of them, mostly the victim experienced a total stranger stepping in to do the right thing. Hopefully one of them will find some inspiration in it, and do the same some day in a similar circumstance.

A comforting thought, for sure. Hopefully you're right.

violator
11-25-11, 11:57 am
given the current state of the youth in the UK, knowing that they can get away with murder, im surprised they didnt turn on you bro.... ive got a friend living in london at the moment, he was mugged by 12 youngsters a couple weeks ago...

but nice one on helping someone escape a beating...

Solid Dreams
11-25-11, 1:00 pm
I feel like a lot of us tend to do this. We look the other way, we say "well, as long as it's not me..." anything we can to try to escape the idea of having to be responsible. But it's our jobs, as weight lifters, as men and women, as decent folk, to stand up and say "No, you can't." Bullies like that will only do it if they think they have a chance, and with someone like Sprint, they knew there was no chance. We should all try to work towards promoting that sense. A lot of people think that lifters are snarling animals, but we need to show them that we're better than the people who just stand there and say "At least its not me..."

Sprint
11-25-11, 5:14 pm
given the current state of the youth in the UK, knowing that they can get away with murder, im surprised they didnt turn on you bro.... ive got a friend living in london at the moment, he was mugged by 12 youngsters a couple weeks ago...

but nice one on helping someone escape a beating...

That did occur to me afterwards, but not really at the time. Bit of a cliche but it happened too fast to really think about things too much. Like I said tho, my employment history has provided me with the experience & tools to exert authority over potential situations involving several individuals.
I'm not the tallest of folk, but quite a few people have told me when I shoot somebody a look, it makes them feel uneasy to say the least. Angry short man, as my sister says.

Sprint
11-25-11, 5:22 pm
I feel like a lot of us tend to do this. We look the other way, we say "well, as long as it's not me..." anything we can to try to escape the idea of having to be responsible. But it's our jobs, as weight lifters, as men and women, as decent folk, to stand up and say "No, you can't." Bullies like that will only do it if they think they have a chance, and with someone like Sprint, they knew there was no chance. We should all try to work towards promoting that sense. A lot of people think that lifters are snarling animals, but we need to show them that we're better than the people who just stand there and say "At least its not me..."

That's it, man. I'm lucky in that I've never been bullied, but I can imagine that kid looking round desperately & thinking "Somebody...anybody..."

Just happened that the anybody turned out to be somebody who had to get home & get ready for the track, so was walking with a direct purpose, which helps convey an authority & has a 'target-hardening' effect that puts off potential muggers/attackers.

And was wearing a shirt with big orange letters saying "KILL THE WEIGHTS...RAGE"

Dave TapouT
11-25-11, 5:34 pm
Good Stuff. Role model for sure. Stand tall, and be a examplitory image for the youth!

Solid Dreams
11-25-11, 5:35 pm
Good Stuff. Role model for sure. Stand tall, and be a examplitory image for the youth!

well...stand up...

Sprint
11-25-11, 5:41 pm

Thanks bro

well...stand up...

This made me actually LOL!

Back To Basics
11-25-11, 6:43 pm
Glad to hear this story man, great thing you did.

Got to stand up for what you believe in, otherwise your nothing more than a pawn..

Sprint
11-25-11, 8:59 pm
Glad to hear this story man, great thing you did.

Got to stand up for what you believe in, otherwise your nothing more than a pawn..

Damn straight.

On a somewhat related - and chilling - note, I read in the paper just a few minutes ago that a 14 year old schoolboy over here just walked free from court. His crime, which he admitted to, was to be caught with 2 guns & 13 rounds of live ammunition. The judge ruled that in the eyes of the law, because of his age he couldn't be considered as a dangerous offender. Had he been 16 or over, he would be sent to prison for a minimum of 3 years. As it is, he was allowed back out onto the streets with a rehab order.

It gets better, & even more crazy. He can't be considered to be a 'persistent offender' because that requires 3 previous convictions, and he only had 1...for carrying a knife.

Where does it end?

intoodeep25
11-26-11, 1:34 pm
u did a good thing brother. this crap both breaks my heart and pisses me off to no end. 4 people picking on 1 helpless person is sickening, what cowards they are. good job breaking that mess up before something more damaging happened

Cellardweller
11-26-11, 3:27 pm
Things could have been so much worse If it went on. What If they killed that kid? What If the bullying has been going on for a while and this kid decides to stop it by bringing a gun to school? They must have stopped teaching cause and effect in school cause these kids are worse than my generation was.

Or the kid could have turned a gun on himself if things were bad enough for him. You're a ripped beast Mike. That kid may have seen it as being saved by Superman. You may have just inspired a future Mr. O.

Sprint
11-26-11, 3:31 pm
u did a good thing brother. this crap both breaks my heart and pisses me off to no end. 4 people picking on 1 helpless person is sickening, what cowards they are. good job breaking that mess up before something more damaging happened

Sickening is the word , & cowards is bang on. They shot off in the opposite direction at about the same speed as the poor lad, which just about sums them up.

Sprint
11-26-11, 3:35 pm
Or the kid could have turned a gun on himself if things were bad enough for him. You're a ripped beast Mike. That kid may have seen it as being saved by Superman. You may have just inspired a future Mr. O.

It's not worth thinking about the potential consequences for the poor lad, I hope he's able to keep on top of things