PDA

View Full Version : Powerlifting

bigweights74
11-25-11, 12:12 pm
Just starting out wanting to do a powerlifting meet in a yr or so! Looking for a good starting routine any suggestions?? Its hard to weed through all the ones I have seen.

Thanks

Seath308
11-26-11, 5:31 am
I base my Main Routine off of the 5/3/1 Program very simple and effective!!!
Sunday:Military
Monday: Deadlift
Wednesday:Bench Press
Friday: Squat

If you need me to go indepth about the % for the program just ask. As for the assistance exercises here is what I do on each day.

-------------------------------Military press (Sunday)--------------------------------

Main Secondary exercise:

Seated DB Shoulder Press

Sets and Reps 3 X 12 or 5 X 6

Tricep pushdowns:

Sets and Reps: 3 X 12 ;(Upsets) 1 X 10 ; 1 X 8

Front DB Raises ( 1 arm at a time)

Sets and Reps 4 X 10 ; 1 X 6

Rear Delt

Sets X Reps: 3 X 20

---------------------------------Deadlift (Monday)---------------------------

45 Degree Back Raises with Band Tension (Green Band or Purple on a light day)

Sets and Reps: 2 X 10 Grab a 25 Lbs Plate then 2 sets to Failure

Leg Curls

Sets Reps: 4 X 12

Abs
Light High Rep 3-5 sets 15-20 Reps

-----------------------------Bench Press (Wednesday)-----------------

2 Board or Sling-Shot Presses

work up to a Max single or triple or 3 X 3

Incline Db Press

Sets and Reps: 3 X 10 upset 2 X 8

Tricep DB Extensions

Sets and Reps: 4 X 10 Upset 1 X 8

Lat Pulldowns (wide or narrow)

Sets and Reps: 3 X 10 upset 1 X 8

Peck Deck super set Rear Delts

Sets and Reps: 3 X 15

--------------------Squats (Friday)---------------------

Leg press

Sets and Reps: 4 X 8-10

Leg extensions

Sets and Reps: 3-4 X 10-12

Light Leg Curls

Sets and Reps: 3 X 20

Decline weighted cable sit-ups

Sets and Reps: 4-5 X 8-12

Tiny1102
11-26-11, 5:53 pm
Just starting out wanting to do a powerlifting meet in a yr or so! Looking for a good starting routine any suggestions?? Its hard to weed through all the ones I have seen.

Thanks

Are you looking into doing all 3 lifts?

bigweights74
11-27-11, 4:21 pm
Are you looking into doing all 3 lifts?

Yes all three!!

Polk17
11-27-11, 7:04 pm
I'd recommend 5/3/1 too, plus Seath is one the strongest Raw lifters in the country, and that's some really good advice...

Dave TapouT
11-27-11, 7:17 pm
Can someone explain the 5/3/1 thing to me... I'm new to this too... here for info and help, I'm sure visitors will have the same questions as me. thanks guys.

Polk17
11-27-11, 8:02 pm
Can someone explain the 5/3/1 thing to me... I'm new to this too... here for info and help, I'm sure visitors will have the same questions as me. thanks guys.

It's a percentage based program, based on your 1RM for 4 lifts: Bench, Squat, Deadlift, & Overhead Press... Each of those have their own training day, 4 training days per week, & you perform assistance (exercises that help build the big lifts of that day) each day along with the main 5/3/1 sets...

To begin the program, you find a true 1RM by either working up to a max or doing a rep max and using a calculator... But if it VERY IMPORTANT to make sure you start the program with realistic maxes that you can actually do NOW, not have done a year ago, or think you might can do... You then take 90% of your real max to find your training max, which will allow you to continue to get stronger and train optimally...

You then basically go week to week on the program, the 1st week is a 5 week... For the main lifts it will look like this

Warmups

65% x 5
75% x 5
85% x AMAP (As Many As Possible, so do as many as you can, record it, and try to beat it each time you can)

Now since your using 85% of your training max, which is 90% of your real max, you will be able to get 5 and then some, so go all out...

You will do this for all four lifts within that week, then move to the next week...

Week 2 will be your 3 week and will look like this...

Warmups

70% x 3
80% x 3
90% x AMAP (Same principle as above)

Same thing as above, then move to the next week, which is your 1 week...

Warmups

75% x 5
85% x 3
95% x AMAP (Same principle as above)

After that you can do one of a few things deload (40% x 5, 50% x 5, 60% x 5), 3load (take your 5 week weights, and do only 3 reps of each set, and don't do an AMAP set, or just go right back into another cycle, I have done all of the above, with success, now I do one wave, 3load, another wave, then deload, so I deload every 7 weeks... A good rule of thumb is to try to deload every 6-8 weeks, but you gotta listen to your body...

Seath gives a pretty good assistance template above, or you can look on my log (Link in my Sig) to see what I do... Main thing is you want to pick Basic Compound Type Moves that you can get stronger on, and that will help you build your core lifts...

If you are serious about wanting to do 5/3/1 I would say to buy the EBook or regular book and read it, because 1.) its a really good read, 2.) you will get familiar with the plan from the person who wrote it... Just my advice, any help I can give I'd be happy to... Hope it makes sense...

Seath308
11-27-11, 8:08 pm

4 workouts a week each workout is centered around 1 core movement Military Press; Deadlift; Bench Press and Squat. Each Training Cycle last 4 weeks with listed percentages that are based off your 1 rep max. NOT your full 1 Rep max the percentages below are based off of 90% of your 1 Rep Max. So if your 1 Rep max on bench was 400 you would base your percentages off of 360 Pounds Not the full 400.

Week 1:--------------------Week 2:------------------------Week 3:--------------------------Week 4:(De-Load) Then--- Repeat*
65% X 5---------------------70% X 3------------------------75% X 5--------------------------40% X 5
75% X 5---------------------80% X 3------------------------85% X 3--------------------------50% X 5
85% X 5+ -----------------90% X 3+ ---------------------95% X 1+ ----------------------60% X 5

When you see 5+, 3+, or 1+, that means you do the max reps you can manage with that weight, with the goal of setting a rep record in each workout. This program allows you to walk in to the gym everyday wanting to break a new PR. Thats why I love it so much.

So now that you did a cycle just finished your de-load now what do you do with your Percentages? You are going to add 5 pounds to your 1 Rep max Calculations for the two upper body workouts and 10 pounds to your 1 Rep Max Caculations for the Lower Body workout.

When I explain Adding 5 pound to Upper Body weights a month and 10 to the Lower People always say that seem pretty small. But really think about it in one year if you added 60 pound to your bench and Military and 120 to your Deadlift and Squat wouldnt you be happy. Best and most awarding Achievements take Lots of time and Hard work.

"There are no 8-week plans, rather year long goals and decade long achievements."--- Jim Wendler.

bigweights74
11-27-11, 8:19 pm
Everything sounds good guys!! Im gonna start applying all this monday im sure ill have questions so ill be checking in fellas!!!

Dave TapouT
11-27-11, 10:32 pm
@ polk - Where do I get this book, I am extremely interested, as in I might let my bible collect dust. I've trained in weights for a few years, on and off... been on for about 9 months or so now, for the past 3 months I've done nothing but soak up information to help me out... and this website has connected me with people that are pointing me in the right direction every day... so glad I came here.

@ seath - Thank you for the imput, I watched your 2000 raw video... GOD DAMN! good shit brother, Deff a reliable source for sure. I do want to do this 5/3/1. it seems like a great idea. I'm not in it for the 6 week shit. I'm in for the long haul.

Thank you to both of you, greatly appriciate the help!

This is my life, This is my lifestyle.

(If I spelled either name wrong I'mma edit it.. I'm going off memory of a skim)

Polk17
11-27-11, 10:43 pm
@ polk - Where do I get this book, I am extremely interested, as in I might let my bible collect dust. I've trained in weights for a few years, on and off... been on for about 9 months or so now, for the past 3 months I've done nothing but soak up information to help me out... and this website has connected me with people that are pointing me in the right direction every day... so glad I came here.

@ seath - Thank you for the imput, I watched your 2000 raw video... GOD DAMN! good shit brother, Deff a reliable source for sure. I do want to do this 5/3/1. it seems like a great idea. I'm not in it for the 6 week shit. I'm in for the long haul.

Thank you to both of you, greatly appriciate the help!

This is my life, This is my lifestyle.

(If I spelled either name wrong I'mma edit it.. I'm going off memory of a skim)

Elitefts.com. Amazon.com. Or. Jimwendler.com. Glad I could help, good luck, and keep me posted...

Dave TapouT
11-27-11, 10:51 pm
Also, If I do this powerlifting style... is that gonna help me make gains to get bigger? I think thats a question worth askin!

Polk17
11-28-11, 7:04 am
Also, If I do this powerlifting style... is that gonna help me make gains to get bigger? I think thats a question worth askin!

Getting bigger is going to be controlled by your diet... If your eating enough quality calories and resting properly you'll grow, no doubt...

How many small powerlifters have you seen?

smoothballer
11-30-11, 1:28 pm
Like the others have said 5/3/1 is very solid program that will definitely increase your strength and you will be crushing PRs.

Tiny1102
11-30-11, 2:50 pm
First, where do you live?

I see you want to do all three lifts. Tested or not Tested? Need to pick a federation. Might depend on where you live. As for the training, gear or no gear(raw)? If your doing to lift in gear, then you need to learn proper form first, then get in the gear. Either way, I would train three days a week: bench one day, back one day, and legs one day. I would pull every other week. Answer these questions first, then I will help more.

Aggression
11-30-11, 4:07 pm
Most in here have mentioned the 5/3/1. I have used that program with great results when it came to overall strength. I just competed in my 2nd PL meet on 11/5. I trained using the WestSide programs leading up to it and added a total of 75lbs to my meet total in just 5-6 months worth of training. WS hits your weakpoints, making you a better more effective lifter.

Both programs are designed to help increase overall strength, so you'd be fine using either one. I'm not really familiar with any other 'programs' out there ...

Big Wides
11-30-11, 8:48 pm
To piggyback off of what Tiny said, if you are first starting out in powerlifting keeping it simple out of the gate will only help you in the long term. Is 5/3/1 a good program, sure people have good reviews on it, but in my humble opinion it is what I would consider an advanced program since your using percentages. For your standpoint, start by getting a baseline strength going then think about using programs like 5/3/1 or Westside.

I would stick with a simple program for about 6 months to fully gain how to train like a powerlifter (this includes eating as well) to get your body used to it. It is a different type of conditioning for your CNS and muscles than say a bodybuilding split. Also, don't be afraid to research and watch videos of the elite lifters to help with getting your form down

bigweights74
12-06-11, 6:14 pm
To piggyback off of what Tiny said, if you are first starting out in powerlifting keeping it simple out of the gate will only help you in the long term. Is 5/3/1 a good program, sure people have good reviews on it, but in my humble opinion it is what I would consider an advanced program since your using percentages. For your standpoint, start by getting a baseline strength going then think about using programs like 5/3/1 or Westside.

I would stick with a simple program for about 6 months to fully gain how to train like a powerlifter (this includes eating as well) to get your body used to it. It is a different type of conditioning for your CNS and muscles than say a bodybuilding split. Also, don't be afraid to research and watch videos of the elite lifters to help with getting your form down

Ok so as far as eating how do I do that on a budget? I mean I know what the good foods are and what I need to eat but how much is my question and during the early morning I can't eat every 2 or 3 hrs at best I guess would be 4 hrs apart until 2 pm and then its game on I will lift at 4 and then be in bed again at about 8 or 9 if all goes well. What and how much should I eat to not gain too much fat you know!!

Polk17
12-06-11, 6:23 pm
Ok so as far as eating how do I do that on a budget? I mean I know what the good foods are and what I need to eat but how much is my question and during the early morning I can't eat every 2 or 3 hrs at best I guess would be 4 hrs apart until 2 pm and then its game on I will lift at 4 and then be in bed again at about 8 or 9 if all goes well. What and how much should I eat to not gain too much fat you know!!

Don't make a huge deal about this, this is something else that is way to over thought... Plan ahead, make good food choices, eat big, & listen to your body... To be honest, my schedule sounds a lot like yours and I am having success on the Carb Backloading Plan, I'd take a look at that if I were you...

bigweights74
12-06-11, 6:29 pm
Don't make a huge deal about this, this is something else that is way to over thought... Plan ahead, make good food choices, eat big, & listen to your body... To be honest, my schedule sounds a lot like yours and I am having success on the Carb Backloading Plan, I'd take a look at that if I were you...

Ok thanks bro I don't know what "Carb Backloading" is but I'll see if I can't find anything on it sure I can look up something.

Polk17
12-06-11, 8:34 pm
Ok thanks bro I don't know what "Carb Backloading" is but I'll see if I can't find anything on it sure I can look up something.

In short,you skip breakfast, eat your first meal about 4 hours after you wake up, eat only Protein & Fat until you workout, then eat as much Carbs as you see from you pWO shake and 2 meals after... I drink Coffee w/ Cream when waking up @ 5:30, Chicken w/ PB @ 10, Lean Beef w/ PB @ 12:45, WO @ 2:00 have pWO shake, then eat as much Carbs as I want...

I know if sounds crazy, but there is a lot of science and results behind it... I can tell you that a big part of it is that you are supposed to notice improved Strength and Coordination from no Carbs preWO, plus enhanced Fat Burning, which I can attest too... After taking RAGE preWO, I have the best WO's and am continually setting PR's and I know I am burning fat all day because I can feel it, I just haven't found the right amount of pWO Carbs, but I really like it... Because during the day, when you don't have time to eat, you just eat light and then when you are hungry, pWO, you are home and its no-holds-barred... The guy that came up with the plan's name is John Kiefer, runs a website called DangerouslyHardcore.com, there is a lot of info on there about the plan, & his book about Carb Backloading releases Friday...

It's definitely something worth looking into, let me know if I an be of anymore help...

Phil800101
12-08-11, 5:50 am

Agreed.

I've been lifting seriously now for over 6 years, mostly in the "powerbuilding" style. About 9 months ago I finally decided to focus on powerlifting.

To start with, I followed a very basic 5 x 5 program, training weights three days a week. After several months I added in a fourth day. I did this for about 7 months, and only recently switched to the 5/3/1 program. I personally am a big fan of 5 x 5 for starting out. It's easy to do, easy to follow, and it really helps you to adapt and learn how to train as a powerlifter. For myself, I became accustomed to powerlifting and made some killer strength gains.

Essentially, 5 x 5 is where each day is dedicated to one of the big 3. To train, you do some warm-up sets, and then do 5 sets of 5 reps (of the same weight). The weight selected should be enough to be a challenge, but not so much that you can't get all the reps in. Each subsequent week you add 5 or 10 pounds to that weight. Besides the main lift, you would do some assistance exercises, targeting the muscles involved with the lift.

Here's an example of a very basic 5 x 5 split, with some made-up weights:

Monday: Squat Day

Stretching

Barbell Squats
(Warmup sets)
225 x 5
225 x 5
225 x 5
225 x 5
225 x 5

Leg Press

Stiff-Legged Deadlifts

Abs

Wednesday: Bench Day

Stretching

Flat Barbell Bench Press
(Warmup sets)
200 x 5
200 x 5
200 x 5
200 x 5
200 x 5

Dips

Seated Dumbbell Presses

Friday: Deadlift Day

Stretching

Barbell Deadlifts
(Warmup sets)
250 x 5
250 x 5
250 x 5
250 x 5
250 x 5

Barbell Rows

Good Mornings

Abs

Again, this is just a rough idea of what a very basic 5 x 5 split might look like. Obviously things could be changed around, and I am typing this balls-ass early in the morning, lol. But I think you get the idea. Pretty simple, but it works.