PDA

View Full Version : It's coming....my date circled in red.

Indomitable Will
12-05-11, 7:00 am
Looks like I have a tentative date for my first powerlifting meet. USAPL Orange County in Pine Bush, NY on May 19. It's about 70 miles from my house, meets don't get much closer than that for me. I'm still looking at other meets and federations, waiting for the schedules to come out. So far though, I think this is it.

Just started a periodization type routine, dropping reps weekly over 4 weeks, then starting over at the high reps. Weeks 2-4 throw in things like rest/pause and slow negatives. Gonna do this for 12 weeks, then change up the routine for the remaining time before the meet. I'm fired up!

BigChrisF
12-05-11, 4:20 pm
Congratulations on deciding to take the plunge. Stepping out on the platform is a big step most people never take.

Indomitable Will
12-06-11, 3:45 pm
I just purchased a membership for the USAPL, Game on, baby!

Also, yesterday I purchased a few goodies. Storm, Atomic 7, and the usual Animal Flex. I haven't used Atomic 7 yet, looking forward to it. I wanted a little something extra for my body with this higher volume workout I've been doing (and very unaccustomed to). Now bring the pain!

pushin weight
01-05-12, 12:25 pm
congrats man...good luck!

Wycked
01-05-12, 12:28 pm
Congrats on following your passion and doing something u love. All the best

C.Coronato
01-05-12, 1:28 pm
Awesome brother! How is training coming? I am stepping on to the platform for the first time in 3 weeks as well!

weaver
01-05-12, 1:43 pm
awesome! good for you. i was gonna do that one too! i may still!

Indomitable Will
01-05-12, 4:45 pm
Thanks guys, I'm looking forward to it.

Awesome brother! How is training coming? I am stepping on to the platform for the first time in 3 weeks as well!

Training is going well for the most part. Changed it up big time about 6 weeks ago to do something different from what I've been doing for years. Got a bit of a cold right before christmas, which moved from my head to my chest and I skipped some workouts last week. Feeling better this week and workouts are back on track. Other than that, just working through little aches and pains here and there. Gotta stay focused.

Indomitable Will
02-29-12, 8:42 pm
The time is coming. Last week, I began my meet prep routine. Basically gonna do about 4 weeks of 7-8 reps, 4 weeks of 4-6 reps, and 4 weeks of 3 or less reps. (These rep ranges are mainly for the power lifts). I think during the last 4 weeks I'll add in a back off set of 7 or 8 reps. The routine is:

Wednesday: Bench day, upper back (row)
Thursday: Squat day, calves, biceps, abs (I might switch calves to Wednesday)
Saturday: Bench assistance, upper back (pull-up), delts
Sunday: Deadlifts, forearms, abs, rotator cuffs

Doing pretty good so far, I'd say I'm on track to break my previous PR's. Deadlifting last week I did 10 reps with 450 and today I bench pressed 280 for 8 reps, both of which are the best I've done for that many reps. Today's workout was:

Flat Bench: 8x280, 7x280, 7x280
Decline Bench: 8x250, 10x250 Drop set to 225, 185, 135
Bent Over Row: 9x245, 10x245. 11x245
BB Shrug, behind the back: 11x325, 12x325

A couple recent videos:

280 for 8 flat bench: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUqKzFHcF3E
450 for 10 deadlift (only did 7 on the first set, I was intent on getting 8 the second set. Got 10 instead): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcWQarHZPto
335 for 7 Squat, 3rd set: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQL1Ny9ZrLU

I'm trying to keep the calories at least 5000 a day and I'll be using some universal supps, just put in a big order. Gonna be trying something from the Ox school of supplements, EAA Nitro, Animal Nitro and Glutamine post workout, as well as Storm. I'll be using some M-Stak for a while and some Pump at some point. Let's see, I'll be using Real Gains for the duration and I'll also be using some beef aminos. Oh, and good ol' Animal Rage. I haven't used a pre-workout stim in a while, and actually took a break for about a month from all caffeine.

Let's move some fuckin' weight, boys!

Indomitable Will
03-04-12, 3:28 pm
Good workouts this week. Squats the other day were 335 for 9, then 345 for 7.

Deadlifts this morning were 465 for 6, then 465 for 8. Stiff leg deads after that using 325 for 8.

I got all my goodies and just started M-Stak today. Yesterday I began using my new post workout cocktail: one scoop of EAA Nitro, one pack of Animal Nitro, 10 grams of glutamine. Right now I'm taking Storm towards the end of my workouts mixed with a scoop of Atomic 7. I also do a scoop of Atomic 7 pre-workout. I'm just about out of the Atomic 7, not sure if I'll get more or not.

I also have Rage, which I think I'm gonna do a half scoop of for awhile just to help keep my body from getting used to a full scoop. I'll probably get some Pump in a few weeks when I can afford to get some more supps. Then it'll be Pump and Rage pre-workout, which I've never done and am looking forward to trying.

10 weeks and 6 days left.

Indomitable Will
03-11-12, 2:09 pm
Some good workouts this past week. Highlights include:

Squat: 7x355
Bench Press: 7x290
Deadlift: 7x490

I'll probably try to do around 6 reps this coming week, then cut it to 4-6 reps after that. I was checking out some of the advice in mcbeast's thread. I never heard of not deadlifting for 15 days prior to a meet. I may try that, I may not. Anyway, things are still going pretty well, I'm staying on track.

C.Coronato
03-12-12, 3:48 pm
Some solid numbers there bro. I just did my first meet a few months back, i loved it.

jb3198
03-13-12, 3:10 pm
Super stoked to see how this pans out... there is this bug in my ear that keeps talking to me about doing the samething... Thanks for sharing the details, Im following this one.

Indomitable Will
03-13-12, 6:36 pm
Some solid numbers there bro. I just did my first meet a few months back, i loved it.

Thanks, man. What meet did you do and what kind of weight did you lift? You woulda been in the 220 class, right?

Indomitable Will
03-13-12, 6:41 pm
Super stoked to see how this pans out... there is this bug in my ear that keeps talking to me about doing the samething... Thanks for sharing the details, Im following this one.

DO IT! Seriously though, I'm also pretty stoked. I had planned on doing a meet a couple years ago, didn't happen. Then a while after I moved, I quit the gym for quite a few months to save money, then bought my own stuff last year and hit it hard. Nothing will stop me now.

TigerAce01
03-13-12, 7:08 pm
USAPL is a GREAT fed to get your start in...hell, to stay in for life!!

One thing I can suggest though...don't change things up at the end of 12 weeks. The worst thing you can do in the last 2-4 weeks of meet prep is to throw in shit that you don't know how you'll react to. Simply extend the middle portion of the program, or find a suitable meet prep plan that follows the same principles as your current program. No need to get complicated for your first meet.

I'm subbed, as we're both going to have meets around the same time!!!

-Ace

Indomitable Will
03-18-12, 7:31 am
Well, I contacted the meet promoter yesterday and he says that meet was cancelled. USAPL needs to take it off their website calendar. I'm glad I decided to call him ahead of time to ask about signing up for it. He tells me there will be a USAPL sanctioned event in Albany, NY on April 28th, which isn't on the USAPL website or on powerlifting watch. The gym where it will be held has the info on their website, as well as the entry form.

I guess if I decide to do that one, it cuts the prep time I have left from 9 weeks to 6 weeks. The meet is about the same distance from my house as the other one, around 80 miles. The only other meets around that time (May, June) that I have found near me are like 130-200 miles away. A little farther than I want to go for my first meet and I don't want to spend the night before in a motel.

I'm not too happy, but I'll probably do the one in Albany. I'll be back later with a weekly update of my workouts.

Indomitable Will
03-19-12, 10:36 pm
Highlights from last week:

Squat: 6x370
Bench Press: 5.5x305
Deadlift: 6x505, 4x515

Still making good progress, doing really good lately. Weighed 211 this morning. I haven't been over 210 in like 2 years. I'm more focused now more than ever. I feel good. I feel strong.

C.Coronato
03-20-12, 1:52 pm
Thanks, man. What meet did you do and what kind of weight did you lift? You woulda been in the 220 class, right?

Yea man i did 220 raw modern.

510 Squat
405 Bench
600 Dead.

It was an awesome experience for sure. The video is on my youtube.

Big Byrd
03-24-12, 5:01 pm
Yea man i did 220 raw modern.

510 Squat
405 Bench
600 Dead.

It was an awesome experience for sure. The video is on my youtube.

nice numbers but what is raw modern?

Indomitable Will
03-24-12, 5:31 pm

I think the raw modern class with RPS allows knee wraps and raw classic doesn't, if I remember correctly.

Indomitable Will
04-07-12, 11:01 am
April 28th is fast approaching.

Bench press this week: 3x330, 2x330, 7x275

Squat this week: 2x410, 2x415, 8x365

Deadlift is tomorrow. Last Sunday was: 3x530, 2x540, 6x465

Got me some nice Titan knee sleeves that I used for squats this week. That was my first time ever using a heavy duty knee sleeve like that. My right knee has been hurting a bit, the knee sleeve helped.

I've been weighing around 208.

C.Coronato
04-11-12, 11:06 am

Raw Modern simply allows me to use knee wraps. After my knee surgery I have still been a bit uneasy without them. Everything else is the same as Raw.

brianfox77
04-11-12, 11:43 am
Good luck brother! Once you do 1 meet, you're going to want to do another, and another.....