PDA

View Full Version : best 531 assistance work for ice hockey?

braves561
12-05-11, 6:04 pm
I play ice hockey and want to do Wendler 5/3/1. Which would the best assitance work be? Thanks. Smooches.

greek91
12-05-11, 9:55 pm
If you check out elitefts.com there's quite a few articles specifically related to hockey strength training in addition to a bunch of 5/3/1 FAQ's. And sorry in advance if this response is breaking any rules of the forvm

Polk17
12-05-11, 10:09 pm
I play ice hockey and want to do Wendler 5/3/1. Which would the best assitance work be? Thanks. Smooches.

My advice would be some that I got from Wendler, when I asked nearly the same question about Baseball, and it makes perfect sense... You need to be Strong & Awesome to play Hockey (or any sport for that matter), don't get hooked into the functional training myth, weightlifting is GPP for athletes, so just get Strong, make sure you're balanced, but get your big lifts up...

So what I would say is do whatever you gotta do to stay healthy, and get your big lifts up, if you Squat, Bench, Pull, & Press more than you did before, I can guarantee you'll be a better player... Don't over think it...

N. Motta
12-05-11, 10:17 pm
glute ham raises.

sprint hills/push prowler.

BamBam
12-06-11, 12:22 pm
Polk said it... the training (lifting) is going to focus on your G.P.P (General Physical Prepardness)... your question is basically asking "what lifts do i need to do to be good at sport(s)?" ANSWER: All. What you are getting at is S.S.P. (Sports Specific Prepardness), or, how do I take what I have been training, and focus it to be a better hockey player, and that answer lies with your coach, and it all depends on position (as in any sport).

Polk17
12-06-11, 12:41 pm
Polk said it... the training (lifting) is going to focus on your G.P.P (General Physical Prepardness)... your question is basically asking "what lifts do i need to do to be good at sport(s)?" ANSWER: All. What you are getting at is S.S.P. (Sports Specific Prepardness), or, how do I take what I have been training, and focus it to be a better hockey player, and that answer lies with your coach, and it all depends on position (as in any sport).

Strength, Flexibility, Conditioning, Toughness, & being generally Awesome carries over to everything...

BamBam
12-09-11, 12:24 pm
Strength, Flexibility, Conditioning, Toughness, & being generally Awesome carries over to everything...

Whole heartedly agreed.. very "wendler-esque"

Polk17
12-09-11, 1:35 pm
Whole heartedly agreed.. very "wendler-esque"

Anyone who's Pro-Strength & excellence. And Anti-Pussy I'm a fan...

I do some reading...

BamBam
12-12-11, 11:15 am
Anyone who's Pro-Strength & excellence. And Anti-Pussy I'm a fan...

I do some reading...

I see that you def reside "N.O.V."

Polk17
12-12-11, 11:24 am
I see that you def reside "N.O.V."

Only place to be...

Nix0r
12-12-11, 1:44 pm
Only place to be...

Or in one. Just sayin'

Polk17
12-12-11, 4:25 pm
Or in one. Just sayin'

I don't get it...????

Nix0r
12-12-11, 4:45 pm
I don't get it...????

Why would you only want to stay north of vag, when you could be plowing one?

Polk17
12-12-11, 5:42 pm
Why would you only want to stay north of vag, when you could be plowing one?

Haha, I was being sarcastic... I love V...

Nix0r
12-12-11, 7:06 pm
Haha, I was being sarcastic... I love V...

You saucy devil.

But not to derail this thread. Best assistance... see below.

My advice would be some that I got from Wendler, when I asked nearly the same question about Baseball, and it makes perfect sense... You need to be Strong & Awesome to play Hockey (or any sport for that matter), don't get hooked into the functional training myth, weightlifting is GPP for athletes, so just get Strong, make sure you're balanced, but get your big lifts up...

So what I would say is do whatever you gotta do to stay healthy, and get your big lifts up, if you Squat, Bench, Pull, & Press more than you did before, I can guarantee you'll be a better player... Don't over think it...