PDA

View Full Version : BFS

Gorilla.
12-06-11, 6:45 pm
Bigger Faster Stronger..... have any of you powerlifters/strength gainers, old football players every heard of BFS? if so how did it work, how did you like it, what problems does it have? what is good about it? how good was it?!?

i hope to find someone who knows at least a little bit of good information on this topic.

Tiny1102
12-06-11, 8:34 pm
Bigger Faster Stronger..... have any of you powerlifters/strength gainers, old football players every heard of BFS? if so how did it work, how did you like it, what problems does it have? what is good about it? how good was it?!?

i hope to find someone who knows at least a little bit of good information on this topic.

The movie?

Polk17
12-06-11, 9:09 pm
The movie?

I'd recommend the movie...

BigChrisF
12-06-11, 11:38 pm
The brand of strength equipment?

Wycked
12-07-11, 2:25 am
Isn't that the moto of every football programs off season lifting? Bigger, faster, stronger ? I heard that shit so much playing football it was sickening

BCent
12-07-11, 10:07 am
Its actually a really basic periodization scheme that this company (bigger, faster, made)... the documentary (really good btw for anyone who hasnt checked it out) is called "Bigger, Stronger, Faster* The side Effects of Being American...
I ran this program when I was in high school, and a few years back when I was coaching football we had the players running it as well. The concept is bascically that you do basic lifts 3 days per week, always striving for some sort of PR, be it # of reps at a certain weight, max weight, or a max total for the day. Makes it really easy for young kids to follow, and you can actually see your progress right in front of your eyes. From what I remember it looked something like:

Week 1: 3 Sets 3 Reps
Week 2: 5 sets 5 reps
Week 3: 5 sets 5,4,3,2,1 reps
Week 4: 3 sets 10,8,6 reps

You could break it up how you wanted but i know for our players we had them doing:
Monday: Bench, Squat
Wednesday: Power Clean, Hex Bar Deadlift
Thursday: Towel Bench, Box Squat

We had them doing different sorts of auxilary work after they finished their "main lifts" for the day

Tehre was also the "dot drill" for agility work, and we included plyometrics as well.

not saying its all because of this program, but once we started runnig this program, we've become the only team in NYS to make the state finals 7 times (in 11 years) and won it 4... gotta be doing something right if you ask me

Gorilla.
12-07-11, 11:40 am
The movie?

no not the movie, the BFS brand of equipment and apparently their routine that they own called bigger faster stronger

The brand of strength equipment?

yes

Isn't that the moto of every football programs off season lifting? Bigger, faster, stronger ? I heard that shit so much playing football it was sickening

yes obviously that is all everyones goal but that is also the brand name and name of routine

Its actually a really basic periodization scheme that this company (bigger, faster, made)... the documentary (really good btw for anyone who hasnt checked it out) is called "Bigger, Stronger, Faster* The side Effects of Being American...
I ran this program when I was in high school, and a few years back when I was coaching football we had the players running it as well. The concept is bascically that you do basic lifts 3 days per week, always striving for some sort of PR, be it # of reps at a certain weight, max weight, or a max total for the day. Makes it really easy for young kids to follow, and you can actually see your progress right in front of your eyes. From what I remember it looked something like:

Week 1: 3 Sets 3 Reps
Week 2: 5 sets 5 reps
Week 3: 5 sets 5,4,3,2,1 reps
Week 4: 3 sets 10,8,6 reps

You could break it up how you wanted but i know for our players we had them doing:
Monday: Bench, Squat
Wednesday: Power Clean, Hex Bar Deadlift
Thursday: Towel Bench, Box Squat

We had them doing different sorts of auxilary work after they finished their "main lifts" for the day

Tehre was also the "dot drill" for agility work, and we included plyometrics as well.

not saying its all because of this program, but once we started runnig this program, we've become the only team in NYS to make the state finals 7 times (in 11 years) and won it 4... gotta be doing something right if you ask me

hahah thats actually exactly what we are doing... maybe a little different setup but yes you have the sets/reps right and we do the dot drill also ( it kinda sucks ) and hopefully it works i guess i will use it and see how it goes

BCent
12-07-11, 11:52 am
Are you doing this for football training?

Gorilla.
12-07-11, 5:55 pm
Are you doing this for football training?

yes we are, starting it next week.. what are your thoughts on it?

BCent
12-07-11, 7:38 pm
i actually liked it a lot. I look back on it now and i think it really pushed me to bust my ass, and id definitely gave me direction when it came to working out. especially when i was younger, it kept me away from doing curls and shit, focused me on the big lifts. As a 4 year varsity starter and 2 time all state LB, i can promise you that it made me a better football player. Just make sure to pay attention to the dots and the little shit like that- i know it gets annoying but theres no use being big and strong for football if you cant also be explosive...

Do they plan auxiliary lifts for you too, or is that up to you? Because my personal opinion, especially after my own training, and my relationship with a former strength coach of a big time college football program, is that there are different aux lifts that are more applicable to different positions, to continue your improvement... all in all though i think its a good program, and way easier for high school athletes to follow than some of the more complicated shit out there that some guys will try to shove down their throats

Gorilla.
12-07-11, 10:14 pm
i actually liked it a lot. I look back on it now and i think it really pushed me to bust my ass, and id definitely gave me direction when it came to working out. especially when i was younger, it kept me away from doing curls and shit, focused me on the big lifts. As a 4 year varsity starter and 2 time all state LB, i can promise you that it made me a better football player. Just make sure to pay attention to the dots and the little shit like that- i know it gets annoying but theres no use being big and strong for football if you cant also be explosive...

Do they plan auxiliary lifts for you too, or is that up to you? Because my personal opinion, especially after my own training, and my relationship with a former strength coach of a big time college football program, is that there are different aux lifts that are more applicable to different positions, to continue your improvement... all in all though i think its a good program, and way easier for high school athletes to follow than some of the more complicated shit out there that some guys will try to shove down their throats

yes we have only our 4-5 main lifts to do then we can choose the aux lifts, im glad i know more now so i can choose the right ones to do haha but i could be wrong too...... and thats exactly what i was looking for someone who used the program, found and seen results, and was happy with it... now i dont have to worry about thinking there is a better program or i am doing one that wont improve me at all
and i also do agree that the explosive part is one of the most important skills (that and agility/flexibility) that a football player can have and i have been sure to incorporate explosive training to my workouts

BigChrisF
12-08-11, 3:14 am
I have used their benches before. If you are benching no more than 400 lbs, they are a alright bench to use. More than that and the metal tabs that hold the ply wood of the bench to the frame will bend at inappropriate times. I picked one up cheap and plan on welding on some angle iron to make it stable.