PDA

View Full Version : How to maintain gains with blown shoulder.

TruePower
12-06-11, 9:21 pm
Sup guys, name's Kelton and I'm from Alabama, I don't really do too much posting because I don't believe in commenting shit for no reason so you probably don't ever see me doing shit. Anyways I need some advice/help. I experienced my first injury last night on our chest/back day,,,,,,and let me tell you it fucking sucked and hurt like a fucking bitch. You'd think at 20 years old I'd always be fucking yoked up and strong and no issues, but no such luck when I got on the flat bench for barbell press. I completed two reps and got to my third rep and I felt a sharp pain surge throughout my left shoulder as I was exploding up. Needless to say that ended my bench for the rest of the night. I didn't think much of it but once I got home I iced my shoulder down expecting that to be it. Well the next day(Today) the pain remained.

I talked to a bitch I'm fucking, and she suggested heading to the doctor after work, so that's what I did. Come to find out I tore my rotator cup. Now mind you I've only been body building for eight months or so, and I've never been injured.

Can I get some advice on how to maintain my mass, or other excersises I can do to keep active and keep training.
I can't afford to quit for six weeks or more.

BigChrisF
12-06-11, 11:35 pm
For your shoulder there are a number of rehabbing exercises you should be doing and continue doing to keep your shoulders healthy. I like doing shoulder circles as part of my warm-up routine.

I read a study some time back that had the participants stay in bed for some period of time. I believe it was 30 days. Both groups were fed a diet that was appropriate for their activity level, which was next to none. One group was also given amino acids, but I don't remember how much or how they were administered. They measured muscle mass before and after the 30 days and the amino acid group lost almost no mass compared to the control.

I've hurt a number of things and you just have to work around them. Continue doing motions that don't hurt and hold off on the ones that do. For pressing, I would suggest one arm-dumbell presses for the other side. Your body's sympathetic response will help with the other side while not using it for a while.

TruePower
12-07-11, 9:31 am
Thanks bro, need all the help I can get. My first injury so I didn't really know where to start looking. So I figured best place to turn to was my bro's at Animal.

dannynb
12-07-11, 10:25 am
Def hit up the amino's and like he said keep hitting the good side with dumbbell work. Also hit your legs hard while you can. Avoid any movements that cause pain, and rehab like a mofo. It blows getting hurt but realize you're young and have plenty of time to do this correctly and allow your body to heal instead of pushing your luck and cause the injury any more problems. Won't be long before you're back at it 100%.

Tron
12-07-11, 10:41 am
One thing to remember with the rotator cuff is keep the ego checked. Make sure it is healed before hitting it again. That is one of the most crucial muscles to all shoulder movements, so permanently damaging that can be life altering.

Do what the doctor says on this one. It will be crucial for you.

Shukin
12-07-11, 11:21 am
Might also hit Big Ant up for some advice over at universalusa.com http://www.universalusa.com/Community/Forum/Train/Training-Around-Injuries/(offset)/0#post_84629

TruePower
12-07-11, 1:26 pm
Def hit up the amino's and like he said keep hitting the good side with dumbbell work. Also hit your legs hard while you can. Avoid any movements that cause pain, and rehab like a mofo. It blows getting hurt but realize you're young and have plenty of time to do this correctly and allow your body to heal instead of pushing your luck and cause the injury any more problems. Won't be long before you're back at it 100%.

Def good advice, I'm taking all this shit to heart.

TruePower
12-07-11, 1:27 pm
One thing to remember with the rotator cuff is keep the ego checked. Make sure it is healed before hitting it again. That is one of the most crucial muscles to all shoulder movements, so permanently damaging that can be life altering.

Do what the doctor says on this one. It will be crucial for you.

No doubt, and he said close to the same thing lol.
So i'm going to keep my shit in check.

TruePower
12-07-11, 1:28 pm
Might also hit Big Ant up for some advice over at universalusa.com http://www.universalusa.com/Community/Forum/Train/Training-Around-Injuries/(offset)/0#post_84629

One step ahead of you bro, Ant already commented on my status on Universal's site. And once I get my MRI tests back I'll be posting on there for sure. Thanks bro!

Shukin
12-07-11, 1:35 pm
One step ahead of you bro, Ant already commented on my status on Universal's site. And once I get my MRI tests back I'll be posting on there for sure. Thanks bro!
Nice, he knows his shit....That's the greatest thing about this place, so many knowledgeable people.

Aggression
12-07-11, 1:36 pm
I talked to a bitch I'm fucking, and she suggested heading to the doctor

lol

As for your dilemma, just be sure to take the proper time to warm up. I had a pretty bad shoulder injury about 2 spring's ago. Same situation. I was benching and on the 7/8th rep, bang. Didn't feel right for days. For the following weeks, I started off with fly/cable movements and finished with machine presses of sorts, staying away from all heavy barbell/dumbbell movements.

Now I make sure to warm up my rotator cuff before each session. I spend 5-10min prior warming it up as well as another 5-10min after my workout to stretch everything out. So far, no problems and no pain. But take the proper amount of time off, if need be. What's worse? A few weeks out of the gym now? Or never being able to bench press again?

gerrrfreak61
12-07-11, 4:26 pm
google 7 minute rotator cuff solution and read it, it'll give you some useful information

TruePower
12-07-11, 5:27 pm
lol

As for your dilemma, just be sure to take the proper time to warm up. I had a pretty bad shoulder injury about 2 spring's ago. Same situation. I was benching and on the 7/8th rep, bang. Didn't feel right for days. For the following weeks, I started off with fly/cable movements and finished with machine presses of sorts, staying away from all heavy barbell/dumbbell movements.

Now I make sure to warm up my rotator cuff before each session. I spend 5-10min prior warming it up as well as another 5-10min after my workout to stretch everything out. So far, no problems and no pain. But take the proper amount of time off, if need be. What's worse? A few weeks out of the gym now? Or never being able to bench press again?

You have a valid point brother. And fuck yes I will be warming up from now on, I'm too young for these old man problems!

Zues
12-07-11, 6:07 pm
Please dont use that shoulder until you get the results from the mri. Everything will depend on that arm healing well so take your time and do exactly as the doctor says. Any gains you may lose will come back quickly when you get back up to speed. If it is serious google Steadman Hawkins, they wrote the book on shoulders from high tech scope techniques to stem cell research for shoulder repair, they have repaired a lot of the best pro athletes. They have an east coast office not too far from you. When you start back benching warm up well, have a good spotter and make sure he pays attention with his hands close in case that shoulder goes.

TruePower
12-07-11, 7:19 pm
Please dont use that shoulder until you get the results from the mri. Everything will depend on that arm healing well so take your time and do exactly as the doctor says. Any gains you may lose will come back quickly when you get back up to speed. If it is serious google Steadman Hawkins, they wrote the book on shoulders from high tech scope techniques to stem cell research for shoulder repair, they have repaired a lot of the best pro athletes. They have an east coast office not too far from you. When you start back benching warm up well, have a good spotter and make sure he pays attention with his hands close in case that shoulder goes.

Luckily my bestfriend(aka my spotter) stays on point when we lift and he saved my life. I got the weight up but you always need that extra help when you know something is terribly wrong. I'm so glad everyone is giving me so much help wtf THIS AINT THE REAL WORLD IS IT?

Carrnage
12-07-11, 11:24 pm
Sup guys, name's Kelton and I'm from Alabama, I don't really do too much posting because I don't believe in commenting shit for no reason so you probably don't ever see me doing shit. Anyways I need some advice/help. I experienced my first injury last night on our chest/back day,,,,,,and let me tell you it fucking sucked and hurt like a fucking bitch. You'd think at 20 years old I'd always be fucking yoked up and strong and no issues, but no such luck when I got on the flat bench for barbell press. I completed two reps and got to my third rep and I felt a sharp pain surge throughout my left shoulder as I was exploding up. Needless to say that ended my bench for the rest of the night. I didn't think much of it but once I got home I iced my shoulder down expecting that to be it. Well the next day(Today) the pain remained.

I talked to a bitch I'm fucking, and she suggested heading to the doctor after work, so that's what I did. Come to find out I tore my rotator cup. Now mind you I've only been body building for eight months or so, and I've never been injured.

Can I get some advice on how to maintain my mass, or other excersises I can do to keep active and keep training.
I can't afford to quit for six weeks or more.

"I talked to a bitch i'm fucking"

haha right on

TruePower
12-08-11, 12:24 pm
"I talked to a bitch i'm fucking"

haha right on

Got to keep it real with my bros. Lol