PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with a couple things

Shahabidabi
12-11-11, 9:17 am
1. I'm setting up a lifting competition for my Battallion and I need to know where I can find some general rules, I'm planning on 3 event meet, squat, deads and bench.

2. Looking into getting a personal traininer certification and have been looking around and I'm looking for advice on who to go through. I've been looking at NASM or ISSA, which one is better or more widely accepted. Also, while in the Army they will pay for ISSA but I've been seeing good things about NASM. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Phil800101
12-11-11, 8:33 pm
Here's a link to the USAPL rulebook:

http://www.usapowerlifting.com/aboutus/USAPLRulebook-20110323.pdf

Here's a condensed version for lifters themselves:

http://usapowerlifting.com/lifterscorner/USAPLHandbook2.pdf

I think you'll find what you're looking for in there.

Tron
12-12-11, 9:55 am
1. I'm setting up a lifting competition for my Battallion and I need to know where I can find some general rules, I'm planning on 3 event meet, squat, deads and bench.

2. Looking into getting a personal traininer certification and have been looking around and I'm looking for advice on who to go through. I've been looking at NASM or ISSA, which one is better or more widely accepted. Also, while in the Army they will pay for ISSA but I've been seeing good things about NASM. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It depends on the gym more or less. Both are good, but ISSA seems to get a bad rep for the "at-home" test approach. I don't really understand why because it has a higher passing grade than most (75%) and you still have to know where to find the material. I am a big fan of being familiarized with a book rather than regurgitating off the top of your head. You'll forget what you memorize, the book never forgets.

Find out where you'd like to train and ask around there. I have no problem with ISSA and have a cert through them. They offer many additional certifications and you have to show some continuous learning so I keep signing up for those certs to cover that and increase my education.

Polk17
12-12-11, 10:06 pm
Just my opinion, but I would go through NSCA... They are one of the most well-respected certifications, and when you take your test, a lot of the material you are required to know, will help you in training your clients... When I first started training, I worked w/ two guys who were both getting different certifications than I, and they both failed, and they didn't seem to learn much from their course work... On top of that, I just recertified, it was very easy & relatively inexpensive... Just my opinion, good luck with whatever you choose...

Shahabidabi
12-18-11, 8:45 am
Thanks all