PDA

View Full Version : The Road to INBF Tri-State-Dayton, Ohio

Xander
12-13-11, 3:59 pm
Brothers,

Here goes my journey to the INBF Tri-State Bodybuilding show May 19th in Dayton, Ohio. This past year has been kinda fucked up with 2 major injuries and some personal shit all happening in a very short period of time. But, I'm back on track again and looking forward the journey that lies ahead. Knock me down and I'll get right back up again.

My last show was Musclemania Universe June 2010 and placed 2nd in Men's Masters http://musclememory.com/show.php?a=Van+Meter,+Markus Was on track to compete in the World's in Las Vegas and tore a back muscle and a rotator cuff all at the same time deadlifting. Such is life.

I'm at 23 weeks out from this Saturday and my training is right on track. Diet the same. Feels damn good to be healthy and settled.

My workouts right now are 5 days a week and look like this:

M: Shoulders
T: Back/Calves
W: Arms/Abs
Th: Wheels/Calves
F: Chest/Abs

Diet is 6-7 meals per day with 400 grams of carbs, 300 grams of protein, 90 grams of fat. 1 gallon+ of water.

Weight: 221lbs at 16.5 percent.

Starting January 2nd I start 5 months with a personal trainer that is a nationally ranked drug free bodybuilder 5 days per week. I have done 3 shows and have 1 third and 2 seconds and want a 1st so I'm pulling out all the stops on this event in hopes to win. Why else do it right?

44 year old Master. Competing in Open and Masters both.

Xander

Mr. Dead
12-13-11, 4:04 pm
Subbed...!!!

Jay
12-13-11, 4:17 pm
Cool. Definitly following along here.. Good luck!

Xander
12-14-11, 8:25 am
Subbed...!!!

Cool. Definitly following along here.. Good luck!

Thanks for the support fellas. Much appreciated.

Xander
12-14-11, 8:42 am
I want this thread to be more about what I learn from this journey than mindlessly posting up sets, pounds, etc. My experience with contest prep has been very positive and always come away feeling like a better man for the effort. Competing hardens your resolve, purifies the soul, and tests your meddle. Good shit for anyone IMO.

Today is Arms. Kind of a fun day and always look forward to training arms and finish it off with abs. Remember in the early 90s training with my boys (we were all single then) and calling training Biceps "Curlz for the Girlz" and that always made me laugh. Still does.

Today's assault;

Standing Barbell Curlz
Incline Alternating Dumbbell Curlz
Machine Preachers
Drag Curlz on the Smith Machine (sets of 50)

Close Grip Bench
Weighted Dips
Skull crushers
Rope Cable Pushdowns (sets of 50)

Hanging Leg Raises
Kettle Bell Swings
Planks

This issue of working with a trainer is confounding me. I'm torn about doing it. On one hand, the wealth of info will be valuable. I know working with this cat will get me where I need to be. But on the other hand....I've worked with trainers for years and feel if I'm going to get a W in my column at a show then it needs to be on my own merits. Plus the financial aspect. Will have to marinate more on this.... I don't take these decisions lightly.

smoothballer
12-14-11, 9:38 am
Very cool. Good luck bro

Xander
12-14-11, 2:26 pm
Very cool. Good luck bro

Thanks bro'..

Xander
12-15-11, 3:43 pm
Big Wheels today.

Been sleeping like a rock lately and having those kinda deep sleeps where you wake up and have to orient yourself. The tempurpedic helps too.

Hit the gym after the 45 minute drive feeling great.

Leg Press-8 pies a side for 6 sets of 10
Hack Squats-3 pies a side for 3 sets of 10
Sumo Deads-2 pies a side for 3 sets of 10
Leg Extensions-4 sets of 25
Hammy Curlz-3sets of 10

Normally, I do low box squats but today switched up to hacks. I don't use a belt when I dead lift or squat. Just strict form.

Had a chance to chat with the trainer and have decided to pull the trigger on a 5 month program. My wife supports it totally and the gym threw in 9 free sessions to boot. Just a sweet deal. Very happy with my decision and we start January 2nd.

To maximize the experience the plan is to document all that is learned here in this log so hopefully someone will find it useful in their contest journey someday. And it always makes a good reference for myself moving forward to have written it all down. As detailed as possible.

Feel like I'm getting leaner and fuller everyday.

Xander
12-16-11, 7:05 pm
Woke up this morning feeling like a wedding day dick. Stiff and sore. Stayed up a bit late to boot watching the debate.

Chest and Abs:

Flat Bench 5x5
Incline Dumbbells 4x10
Flat Dumbbell Flies 4x12
Dumbbell Pullovers 3x8
Pec Deck (grip type machine not the padded forearm) 4x15

Abs:

Hanging leg raises (Stiff legged and weighted)
Machine Crunchs-4x12
Kettle Bell Swings

Walked the huskies for 20 minutes. They kinda pull my ass and it makes a good workout resisting. Going to fall short of my calorie goal by 500 calories today. Pulled extra Zs this morning and didn't get my first meal in until 9 am instead of 630 am. Extra sleep for a missed meal. Not sure how that works out but glad I slept.

Off for the weekend. Rest is the word.

Xander
12-19-11, 7:14 pm
Was nice to take a 2 day break this weekend. Woke up tired this AM tho'. Normally work out with the morning crew on Mondays before work but with the holiday schedule for my daughter it was after work today. Although there were certified monsters in there tonight, which is always motivating, not digging late day workouts.

Shoulders

Behind the Neck Presses-Barbell 6x6 at 205lbs after nice warm up
Side Dbell Laterals-4x12 working up to 50s
Rear Laterals-4x12 with 40s
BodyMaster Shrug Machine-4 pies per side for 4x8

60 seconds rest on all sets. Short and sweet. I skip front delta every other workout on shoulders since they are a bit bigger than my rear delta and they get crossover work on bench and deads.

Hit my calories.

Sleep!

Xander
12-20-11, 12:14 pm
Great sleep last night. Amazing how a good nights rest can make or break a day.

Hit Back and Abs

Barbell Rows-Underhand Grip. Warm up to 2 heavy sets of 8 at 205. (Strict w/ no belt, no straps)
Hammer Iso-Low Row-3 plates per side 3 sets of 12
Wide Grip Lat Pull Downs-160 for 3 sets of 12
Rack Pulls from Pin 1-315lbs for 3 sets of 8 (no belt, no straps)

Abs
Machine Crunches 4 sets of 10
Kettle Bell Swings-20lbs 4 sets of 15
Planks

Felt great, kept the pace moving with 45 secs to minute rest in between sets. Need a new workout play list. Music is getting stale.

Mr. Dead
12-20-11, 12:16 pm
Lookin' good, in here...!!! It is true, though, how a good night's sleep can make things better...

Xander
12-20-11, 12:22 pm
Lookin' good, in here...!!! It is true, though, how a good night's sleep can make things better...

Amen. The older I get the more important. At 44 years old, I need all the beauty sleep I can get! LOL. Thanks for the kind words.

Xander
12-22-11, 1:38 pm
Yesterday (Weds) was Arms

Barbell Curl-Thigh to Abs elbows back- 4x8 worked up to 105lbs
Dumbbell Hammer Curlz-4x10 worked up to 60s
Preacher Bench Curls (BodyMaster) 50lbs 3x15
Smith Machine Drag Curlz-3x15 at 95lbs.

Close Grip Bench worked up to 2 sets of 8 at 185lbs
Overhead Dumbbell Extensions-worked up to 85lbs for 8 reps
Cable Pushdowns 3x15 can't remember the exact weight. Went for feel

Today (Thursday) Wheels

Leg Extensions4x20 for warm up
Leg Press 10 plates per for 3 sets of 8
Hack Squats-3x8 with 3 plates per side
Stiff Legged Deads-Worked up to 225lbs by 8
Lying Leg Curlz-3x10 at 80lbs I think.. Go by feel on the machines usually.

Calves-Standing Raises- Stack at 10 for 4 sets

Have had to force feed the last 2 days. I haven't had a cheat meal in over 6 weeks and think it may be time. Shock the system a bit. Will wait to do this Christmas Eve when the family comes over. Have a 9lb prime rib for the oven and all the fixens.. Get my grub awn...

One more day on this wave(chest) and it's 2 days off then start with Josh, the new trainer on Monday for 5 straight months up to the show. Stoked.

Mr. Dead
12-22-11, 1:39 pm
Amen. The older I get the more important. At 44 years old, I need all the beauty sleep I can get! LOL. Thanks for the kind words.

I'll hit that milestone in May... I know how ya feel...

Xander
12-22-11, 1:42 pm
I'll hit that milestone in May... I know how ya feel...

The over 40 guys that are still "Given er' " are a rare breed. Congrats man. I checked out the web site for your show. Looks like a good one.

Will be root in' for ya

Mr. Dead
12-22-11, 2:12 pm
The over 40 guys that are still "Given er' " are a rare breed. Congrats man. I checked out the web site for your show. Looks like a good one.

Will be root in' for ya

And, to you also...!!! I checked the site for yours as well... I've heard a lot of nice things about the promoters... Should be a great show...!!! I know you'll bring a killer package to the stage...!!!

naturalguy
12-22-11, 3:10 pm
Keeping it strong for the 40+ crowd, I'll be following.

How much fat do you think you have to lose over the next 23 weeks?

Xander
12-22-11, 4:14 pm
And, to you also...!!! I checked the site for yours as well... I've heard a lot of nice things about the promoters... Should be a great show...!!! I know you'll bring a killer package to the stage...!!!

Thanks bro

Keeping it strong for the 40+ crowd, I'll be following.

How much fat do you think you have to lose over the next 23 weeks?

Definitely appreciate the support! Thank you. About 12 percent of my total bodyweight right now. Stepped on the scale today at 222lbs.

Xander
12-23-11, 12:28 pm
New phase of training starts on Monday. Had a 1/2 hour meeting with Josh and went over strategy for the next 5 months, did an physique evaluation and in depth body fat measurement. Very humbling experience to be standing in a locker room with your trainer and a couple other bodybuilders critiquing and assessing but that't what it takes.

BF is at 25 percent. Higher than I thought but it is what it is. Weighed 224.5lbs. My home scale is off by a couple lbs.

Weakness: abs, inner chest, calves.
Strength: definitely back, traps, Shoulder width, quads, hams. Arms a plus.

Diet looks good. Was able to present 8 weeks of detailed diet log.

Monday at 12:30 starts the new routine.

Did Light Chest today to wrap up the week.

Incline Bench 10 sets of 4 at 225lbs
Hammer Strength Bench 4 sets of 15 at 1 plate and a quarter
Cable Crossovers 4 sets of 20 at 50lbs.

Motivating Day.

Xander
12-26-11, 4:01 pm
Started training with my trainer today. Started off on Leg Day and ended up puking at the end.

Working on building the outer sweep.

Leg Press- Worked up to 10 plates per side. 3 sets of 15 (Narrow stance knees touching)

Leg Press-Push Press. 2 plates per side and push the sled up in a narrow stance but catch it in a wide stance..push it up in the wide stance and catch it in a narrow stance. In a fashion that you can't hear the weights clang. Smooth and fast. 3 sets of 10

Smith Machine Squats with your feet so far out in front of you that your at almost a 45 degree angle to the bar. Knees touching. 2 sets of 10 / 1 set of 8 / 1 set of 6 / 3 sets of 4 Body weight

1 legged squats but with a weight belt 3 sets of 10

Leg Extensions- 100 reps in under 3 minutes. 50lbs

Standing Leg Curl-4 sets of 10 (can't remember the weight, was all I could do to keep standing)

Total time on workout: 50 minutes.

Then puked before downing my shake.

Split for each week will go like this:

M: Legs
T: Chest and Bis
W: Abs and Tris
Th: Shoulders
Friday: Back

Sat: Cardio
Sun:Cardio

My wife and I bought a Precor Elliptical for the home so that should make it easier to get the cardio in at a convenient time since I live 42 miles from my gym.

No change in diet right now. 400 Grams of Carbs 300 Grams of Protein 90 Grams of Fat

Xander
12-27-11, 2:06 pm
Chest and Bi's

Egyptian Bench Presses Super set with plate flies
Dumbbell Flies Super Set with Negative Presses
Lunge Flies Super set with bent flies (cable for both) Ended up doing 4 sets in one super set

Bis

One arm slant curls-Cable
Australian Curlz
Behind the Ears Cable Curlz
Preachers-Barbell
Preachers-Dumbbell

Added bicep rolling to push the blood out of the muscle in between sets.

Calves

Time on Training: 55 minutes

Making changes to the diet tomorrow. Small change in the post workout shake.

Xander
12-28-11, 2:35 pm
Extreme soreness.

Abs and Tri's

Ab work today was all bands and cables. For instance, hanging from gymnast style rings with a yellow band tied to my feet and anchored to the pec dec. Front reverse crunches and then spin around and crunch from the rear. Have never done anything like it for abs. Time on abs was 35 minutes with very, very little rest.

Tris

Ran the rack on overhead extensions (dumbbell) 100 reps in less than 4 minutes. Then isolation work. Time on tris was 20 minutes.

Total workout was 55 minutes-high intensity. Will be adding 45 minutes of elliptical cardio every single day right after breakfast.

Mr. Dead
12-28-11, 2:39 pm
Lots of good stuff, in here...!!! Keep on killin' it...!!!

Xander
12-28-11, 2:49 pm
Lots of good stuff, in here...!!! Keep on killin' it...!!!

Thanks bro...and back at ya!!

Xander
12-29-11, 5:26 pm
Shoulders today.

Focus on front/side delts and TRAPS! Holy shit! Been thinking of ways to describe the exercises since 1:30 for this update and kind of at a loss for words but will try.

Rotator Cuff Warm Ups: Big Circles with 10 lb dumbbells

Reverse Cable Military Presses: Lying on the floor with my shoulder blades flat and my back arched. Pulled the cables and did presses parrallel to the floor no higher than my ears.

Jumping Upright rows with bands: Did this in the smith machine. Very explosive movement flexing traps the entire time leading with the elbows. This REALLY focused the tension on the top of the traps.

Dumbbell Swings; Like a kettle bell swing but you catch the dumbbell in the opposite arm at eye level and resist it falling.

Resistant band raises

Negative Shrugs.

I really am digging this trainer. He knows his shit and the work is all brand new to me. Been soooo sore. It feels great.

Cardio time.

Xander
12-30-11, 4:50 pm
Big Back today. Stepped on the scales and have lost 5 solid lbs in 7 days. Feel leaner.

Bent Barbell Rows: This was a jerk style. Very quick and explosive. 205lbs for 4 sets of 10

Lat Pulls: With Bands on the Smith Machine. Laying on the floor. Again, very explosive movements no rest in between reps. 4 sets of 12-15

Lat Pull Downs: With bands on the Smith Machine. This time sitting on my butt. 4 sets of 10

Stiff Legged Deads: With Bands. 6 sets of 10 with a pause to squeeze at the top.

Cable Lat Crunches 5 sets of 10.

Cable Pullovers 5 sets of 10

One Arm Jockey Rows 3 sets of 10

Time on Training 55 minutes. with very, very little rest.

Cardio time.

Xander
01-02-12, 4:15 pm
Good weekend, got all my cardio in 2x45min sessions. Was VERY good NYE and hit all my numbers on the diet.

Today: Big Wheels

Warm Up with one legged band squats from the high rings
Deep Smith Machine Squats with bands and 185,205,225 ass to China. Touching the floor with feet way out front.
Cable Lunges
Stiff Legged Deads with 225 lbs with fascia relief after each set.
Single Leg Extensions with fascia relief after each set
Band Treadmill Sprints. 1.5 inch red band around my waist anchored to the treadmill behind me. Run for 10 seconds flat out with the treadmill OFF. Rest until the belt stops spinning then repeat. 10 sets.

No puking.

Xander
01-03-12, 1:52 pm
Woke today NOT SORE in my legs. The fascia relief worked wonders.

Chest and Tris

Flat Bench up to 275 lbs with full pause at the bottom.
Reverse Grip Bench (SS) with push ups on upright 25lb pies
Egyptian Style Incline Dumbbell Presses (Fascia Relief after each set)
10 Sets of Cable Flies at a 90 degree angle Super Set with 10 sets of varied hand position tri presses using bodyweight (Fascia Relief after each set)

No changes in diet yet this week. Everything is spot on. Next week though, Josh will change up the timing of when I eat and what I eat but the same macros

45 min of cardio tonight (every night except leg day) @130-140 bpm

Need to start weight morning and night and recording the difference.

Xander
01-04-12, 2:20 pm
Abs and Bis

Took a BF today and lost 4 percent from the original measurement. Only dropped .5 lbs on the scale.

Australian One Arm Curlz
Seated Band Curlz SS with Alternating Hammer Curlz
Overhead Cable CurlzSS with Hammer Curlz
Speed Curlz on the seating rowing machine

Abs:

Lying Cable Curlz
Reverse Lying Cable Curlz
Superman Curlz

All three of the ab exercises were done from 2 different angles making 6 total. All lower abs.

45 min of cardio this evening.

Xander
01-05-12, 3:00 pm
Apparently I pulled a hip flexer yesterday during abs. Was fine last night during evening cardio but tightened up overnight. Mucho stretching today.

Shoulders:

Inverted push press on the hack squat machine
Seated Band Presses
Seated Band 1/2 Arnolds SuperSet with Dumbbell Laterals
Rear Band Laterals
Rear Machine Laterals
Jump Dumbbell Shrugs 125lb dumbbells SuperSet with 100 lb dumbbells

45 minutes of cardio tonight. Plus stretching

Xander
01-06-12, 5:01 pm
Woke up this morning with the other hip flexor tight as a drum. My wife has an ultrasound machine and used it last night. Pretty slick. Will keep it up over the weekend. Having a hard time walking without alot of pain.

Back Today

Rope Pulls: anchored a 1.5" nylon rope to the ab/glute machine and stretched it out (about 50 feet of rope) at the end we had a flat bench. I sat on the bench and pulled myself and bench hand over hand across the carpet to the end. Varied the pulls from hand over hand to overhead to both hands etc. Super Setted this with a barbell suspended from the red band in the squat cage. Sat on the floor and did 20 reps of lat pull downs. One set was 2 trips on the bench sled doing pulls with one set in the cage sitting on the floor doing pull downs. Did 6 sets total. Took 1/2 an hour

Rhomboid Crunches Super Set with Band Crunches for the back
1 Arm Jockey Rows
Overhead Machine Crunches.

I gotta admit this back work out kicked my ass. Great week of training and gotta get this hip flexor issue worked out since leg day is Monday. Cardio done for the day (ouch)

Cardio 2x45 min sessions this weekend, one each day.

Xander
01-09-12, 2:06 pm
Had a stellar weekend. Hit all my numbers on the diet plus my time on cardio. Hip flexers are feeling great. Thank goodness.

Found a pair of Corcoran combat boots on E-Bay and they arrived Saturday. New workout kicks. Vintage ones to boot and cheap! Very happy.

Changed up the split today.

Chest

Flat Bench: 5x5 at 230lbs.
Inverted Bench on the Smith Machine with Bands. (This was cool and what a pump) 8 sets
Band Incline Flies SuperSet with band Incline Presses 3x10
Decline Dumbbell Flies 3x10
Decline Cable Flies 4x10
Machine Incline Press w/bands anchored to my feet and grips.

Downing almost 3 gallons of water also per day. Feel like a race horse.

Mr. Dead
01-09-12, 6:23 pm
How are ya doing...???

Xander
01-10-12, 1:55 pm
How are ya doing...???

Doing well, gutting it out. Definitely enjoying the journey. My trainer is going to do the same show which came as a nice surprise.

Xander
01-10-12, 2:01 pm
There can only be one first place. Champions never quit.

Today's leg workout was an exercise in determination, pain tolerance and general lack of quit.

Deep Squats 185lbs 9 sets of 15 Ass to China
Walking Lunges Body weight on the toes only. 6 sets of 150 feet
Leg Press: 500 lbs narrow stance 10 sets of 10
Westside Butcher Sled Pushing (Outside) with Josh pulling against me with bands while I'm wearing a harness. 135lbs for 500 yards.

Going to make a diet change to add more protein. I'm stuck at 219 lbs and need to get to 230 lbs before I start the cut phase. According to my calorie tracker I'm burning 1100 Kcal per day in my training and cardio so adding protein makes sense.

Xander
01-11-12, 2:10 pm
Arms today.

Barbell Curls 5x10 at 105
D-Bell Curlz 3x12 @40
Inverted Preachers 55lbs @3x15
Smith Machine Drag Curlz 4x15

Weighted Dip Machine 275lbs 5x10
Overhead D Bell Extensions 70lbs 4x8
D-Bell Roll Backs 40lbs 4x10
Cable Extensions 4x15 at 70lbs

Fascia relief on both. Trainer had a last minute conflict and worked out by myself today. Still pushed just as hard. Cardio tonight then Sushi with the wife.

Xander
01-12-12, 3:58 pm
I love Sushi. Last nights dinner was off the hook good and a nice break from the routine diet. Our Sushi place offers 15 grain rice.

Back with the trainer today, was nice. Shoulders and we crushed it.

Jump Barbell Shrugs; 225lbs 5 sets of 10
Jump Upright Rows: 135lbs 5 sets of 8
Lying Cable Presses: 3 sets of 10 @ 70lbs
One Arm Cable Rows (straight arm pulling from the low pulley behind me to the front-isolates the front delt) 3 sets of 15
Push Presses with Black Band on the BodyMaster Squat Machine 5 sets of 12 then no band for 5 sets of 15
One Arm Machine Laterals 3 sets of 15

Felt great, feel strong. Weighed 221.5 this AM. Body composition is really changing and feels good. Burning fat but still gaining weight.

Xander
01-13-12, 10:32 am
Had to train at 7 am this morning. My trainer is headed out of town for the weekend.

Back

Cable Pull Downs-Neutral Grip 10 sets of 10 at 221lbs
Rack Pulls 8 sets of 8 at 315 lbs
Double Arm Jockey Rows (Cable) 5 sets of 20
Dumbbell Pull Overs 4 sets of 10 at 90 lbs
Barbell Row Jerks 5 sets of 10 at 135 lbs
Seated Rowing Machine (Cardio One-Not Cable) 5 minutes no leg movement

Weighed 222.5 lbs this AM Gaining Weight.

We had a chance to take a pic after back for a progress. We will start cutting at 12 weeks.

Quality isn't that great. Taken with a flip phone.

http://www.markusvanmeter.com/images/BB2012/2012-01-13_08-13-01_140.jpg

http://www.markusvanmeter.com/images/BB2012/2012-01-13_08-12-05_531.jpg

Bodyfat is dropping consistently and next week will start doing skin folds every 4 days. Right now it's the grip style machine that's not all that accurate but the numbers are dropping consistently-- 19.5 percent today according to the grip.

Xander
01-16-12, 1:58 pm
Good weekend. Hit my numbers and cardio. Feeling like this coming weekend will heed a day of complete rest.

Chest

Dumbbell Presses 6 sets of 10 at 80 lbs Super Set with Dumbbell Flies @40lbs
(less than 30 secs rest in between sets)
Cable Flies 6 sets of 30 @ 50lbs
Incline Machine Press 8 sets of 8
Egyptian Style Pushups 5 sets of 5 (very slow)
Pec Dec 3 sets of 15

10 minutes of face pace cardio. This will be in addition to tonights 45 minutes.

Xander
01-17-12, 1:36 pm
Big Wheels today..

GIANT SETS w/ Hack Squats (Thrust)-right into-Smith Machine Squats to a bench-right into-Jump Thrust Squats (5 sets of 15) Completing the 3 exercise circuit is one set.

One Leg Press on the Sled 3 sets of 10 each leg
Steep Leg Press (Narrow Stance) 5 sets of 15
One Legged Standing Ham Curlz 5 sets of 10
Leg Extensions 12 sets of 10
Mini Squat Leaps 120 jumps

Rest between sets is between 7 seconds and 45 seconds max. Depending on exercise. Puked twice.

Kowboy
01-17-12, 1:53 pm
Subbed on this one, that isn't too far from me. THat might be a show to come watch.

Xander
01-17-12, 2:53 pm
Subbed on this one, that isn't too far from me. THat might be a show to come watch.

Welcome and thanks for the support. Not far at all and a nice show from what I've heard. Will be at the ABC at the end of the month.

Xander
01-18-12, 2:27 pm
Sore, Sore, Sore today after wheels yesterday.

Shoulders & Bis

Shoulder Bomb-Exercise my trainer developed that incorporates all three lateral raises in one movement. One Set =40 reps. 6 sets today for a total of 240 reps in 6 minutes.

Heavy Front Dumbbell Raises 5x10 @ 60 lbs.
Alternating Dumbbell Curlz 5x8 @ 55lbs.
Heavy Front Dumbbell Raises 5x8 @ 60 lbs. (second time)
Alternating Dumbbell Curlz 5x5 @ 45 lbs.

Speed Curlz on the cable row machine Super Set with alternating dumbbell raises (light weight) 30 secs all out on each. 2-times thru = 1 set. Did 5 sets total.

Decline Cable Front Raises Super Set with Curlz 5 sets.

10 minutes of posing in the locker room all delt and bi..

Xander
01-19-12, 3:02 pm
Tris and Abs today.

Band>>Rope tri extensions Super Set with Overhead Band>>Rope extensions 10x10
Cable Tri Pushdowns with Curl Bar. Elbows out front 10x10
Overhead Dumbbell Extensions. Ran the Rack

Decline Crunches 3x15 warmup
Then a Giant Set: Weighted Decline Crunches>>R & L side band pulls 30 reps each/90 reps per set. 3 sets
Weighted Cable Crunches with hip thrust 5x15

55 minutes. Smoked.

Xander
01-20-12, 8:14 pm
Back today. Felt strong and fired up. Watched a couple Ronnie Coleman vids on Youtube. Got me fired up.

Rack Pulls: 225x10 315x10 405x10 and 455 for 5x5
Band Lat Pulls from low and high angles 240 reps broken down into 6 sets
One Arm Band Pulls (fast and in neutral position) 3 sets of 10
Seated Smith Machine Pull downs (bands) 200 reps

Smoked.

Xander
01-23-12, 2:03 pm
Good weekend. Plenty of rest except for skiing Friday. Needed a little cross training :-0

Big Wheels Today

Changing it up yet again, instead of reps all sets were timed at 45 seconds with 45 seconds rest. A lot of volume in a very short time.

Leg Press 5x5 - 45 on 45 off
Hack Squats (Ass to China) 5x5 45 on 45 off
Upright Ham Curlz (both legs) 5x5 45 on 45 off
Sissy Squats 5x5 45 on 45 off
Leg Extensions 10 sets of 10 with 10 seconds rest. Varied from the previous on this exercise only.

Smoked. Weighed 216 this am. Bodyfat test coming Friday. Fat is melting off. Will be making a change to my diet this week also cutting carbs to 200 grams timed around my workout and breakfast only.

Kowboy
01-23-12, 2:16 pm
Looks like a damn solid workout.

Xander
01-23-12, 3:02 pm
Looks like a damn solid workout.

Walkin' like a scarecrow ;-)

Xander
01-24-12, 1:01 pm
Chest today.. Felt strong.

Went to 1 rep on bench.
Incline Dumbbell Presses 5x10 (Heavy Half Reps)
Incline Dumbbell Egyptian Presses/Super Set/ Dumbbell Flies 5x10 for each
Low Pulley Cable Flies 5x10
High Pulley Cable Flies 5x10
Middle Pulley Cable Flies 5x10
Low Pulley Cable Swings/Super Set/Middle Cable Flies 5x10

Smoked. 55 minutes with very little rest.

Xander
01-26-12, 4:33 pm
Had forum issues yesterday getting access so here is the workout

Arms today.

Alternating Dumbbell Curlz (Heavy) 5 sets of 5 at 65lbs.
Lying Cable Curlz- 10 sets of 10 at 170lbs.
Upright Cable Curlz/Super Set these in front of the rack then behind 5 sets of 15 each

Tri's

One arm dumbbell extensions 5 sets of 10
Seated Cable Extensions 5 sets of 10
One arm dumbbell extensions 4 sets of 10
Seated Cable Extensions 4 sets of 10
We repeated this until it was one set. So essentially a HUGE drop set.

55 minutes all out with very, very little rest. Felt Big, Strong and the music in the gym was AC/DC Pandora. Hell Yeah...

Xander
01-26-12, 4:35 pm
All Abs today. 45 minutes straight.

Lots of crunches, weighted and bodyweight. Similiar style as training any bodypart.

3x15, 10x10 10x12 3x15 etc. We hit upper, lower and obliques with band woodchoppers. Abs actually went numb. Love it.

Xander
01-27-12, 1:14 pm
Back and Shoulders. We did a lot of volume. 750 reps in 80 minutes.

Barbell Rows/Super Set/Barbell Pullovers-Barbell suspended from bands from the gymnastic rings 10 sets of 10
High Cable Rows sitting on the floor/Super Set/ One Arm Dumbbell Laterals-Standing (Front) 10 rows>>left arm lateral (10)>>10 rows>>right arm lateral(10) =1 set. 10 sets total
Band Rows Hands to the ears/Super Set/ Band Rear Laterals (similar to rear delts on the pec dec) 5 sets or 12
Seated Cable Rows(Low to the navel)/ Super Set/ Side dumbbell laterals 10 reps each=1 set. 10 sets
Seated Cable Rows 5 sets of 10 (no dumbbell laterals)
Static Shrugs-10 sets of 10 second pulls

Starting a diet experiment for the next 2 weeks that's basically a pre-contest diet. Just to see how my body reacts. 16 weeks out from the show. Cardio is solid but next week we will start doing 3 days of H.I.T. cardio and then normal cardio the other days. Abs are coming in nicely and fat is continuing to melt.

Xander
01-30-12, 3:18 pm
Monday Wheels.

Leg Press-4-2 inch bands tied on for resistance. Worked up to 14 plates. 10 sets of 30 second busts. 45 seconds rest in between sets.
Smith Machine Squats-4 2 inch bands tied. 5 sets of 30 second bursts w/ 45 seconds rest in between sets.
Smith Machine Mini Squats for speed-Just one set of 2 inch bands
Goblet Squats-5 sets of 10 65lbs
Goblet Squats w/ half jumping jack motion with feet at the top 5 sets of 10 65lbs.
Repeat Goblet Squats with 40lbs as a gasser
Rogue Butcher Sled Pushes with 300lbs stacked on for 3 sets of 100 yards to finish the workout.

Puked 2wice.

We are testing a new pre-contest diet being 16 weeks out from this past Saturday for the show.

Meal #1
6 oz. lean chicken or turkey 6 egg whites.. asparagus( about 10 stocks)
Meal #2
Protein Drink: 2 scoops Protein, 16 oz water or 6 oz can tuna or 5 oz chicken Tomato

Meal #3
12 ounces lean beef or chicken (weighed prior to cooking) 2 cup white rice, Asparagus
Meal #4
5 oz turkey breast or 5 oz. chicken 1 tomato or Protein Drink: 2 scoops, 12 oz water (if post training)

Meal #5
12 ounces lean steak, 2 cups green leafy vegetables or salad

Meal #6
5 oz turkey breast or 5 oz. Chicken, 6 egg whites, 1 yolk

Meal #6
Thursday Only!- ½ cup oatmeal or rice, 10 oz sweet potato, 6 oz banana 1 cup vegetables, 1 TBS butter.

Will do this for 14 days to see how my body reacts then back to my mass diet for 4 weeks. Will start back on (probably this diet if it works well) for the remainder of the pre-contest prep. I ate steak for M3 today and will switch that with fish. It digests faster before a workout. Was burping up steak all during the workout. Fucking sucked. I think it's what made me hurl.

Xander
01-31-12, 3:23 pm
Treasure Chest

All Cables with one set of cable presses the rest of the sets were all fly movements. All angles. 5 sets of 5 on everything almost no rest for 55 minutes straight. Endurance is thru the roof and weight is dropping like a stone. Weighed 215.6 this am on the new diet and so far, reacting very, very well to the change. Took my BP last night on Annette's machine and scored 114/68 with a resting heart rate of 48 and that's after a day of coffee and a red bull. 4 more months of training to go and this week starts H.I.T. training. Thursday will be 10 sets of 100 yard dashes. Stoked.

Xander
02-01-12, 2:15 pm
Abs N Triceps.

Reverse Grip Bench 135x10 185x10 225x5 245x5 265x2 (3sets)

Everything after reverse grip bench was super set with abs

Reverse Grip Cable Push Downs/ Cable Crunches from the knees (5 sets of 15)
Band Tri Kick Backs/ Incline Band Crunches Pulling from the right side (5 sets of 15)
Band Tri Kick Backs/Incline Band Crunches Pulling from the left side (5 sets of 15)
90 degree tri extensions (band over head and bent at the waist)/ Standing Band Crunches (5 sets 15)
Dumbbell Roll Backs on the flat bench (5 sets of 10)/Weighted Dumbbell crunches on the floor knees bent (5 sets of 10)

65 minutes with very little rest after the reverse grip bench. Smoked. Felt strong! 15 weeks out. 215.9lbs this AM

Kowboy
02-02-12, 12:39 pm
Everything looks like it is coming together. I am only at the beginning of my journey but I do enjoy reading up on your progress.

Xander
02-03-12, 9:24 am
Everything looks like it is coming together. I am only at the beginning of my journey but I do enjoy reading up on your progress.

Thank you sir, appreciate the support. IMO, the journey is where it's at, the show is almost anti-climatic. Enjoy your progress and be sure to document it the best you can. That's my biggest regret over the years is not writing it all down.

Kowboy
02-03-12, 9:25 am
I am trying to keep track. I am struggling with losing the weight even on the diet. I am only on week 2 so I am hoping that is the reason so far. This new plan does have me doing more cardio and in the gym.

Xander
02-03-12, 9:28 am
Took the day off yesterday (work) and hit shoulders and took care of housekeeping in the loft. Ran to the butcher, cooked, took advantage of this global warming and did intervals outside for cardio. Was very relaxing.

We are working on all kinds of laterals and shaping exercises in all areas of the body to bring out cuts and definition. So yesterday's shoulder bomb was no different. Supersets, giant sets, very little rest and blowing up the shoulders till they turned purple. Big focus on the traps for the last 20 minutes of the hour.

My trainer took this pic

http://www.markusvanmeter.com/images/BB2012/20120202122400.jpg

And this video of what he calls "Upright Snatches" what you can't see is the feet moving like a jumping jack motion. When we first started doing these it took some practice to coordinate it. But damn if they don't just SMOKE your traps. Trick is to keep the traps flexed and let the weight fall on it's own to cause a jerk on the traps at the bottom.

http://www.markusvanmeter.com/images/BB2012/UprightSnatches.wmv

214.7 this morning. Evening weight is dropping also but I'm still gaining 4 lbs during the day. Good news.

Xander
02-03-12, 9:57 am
I am trying to keep track. I am struggling with losing the weight even on the diet. I am only on week 2 so I am hoping that is the reason so far. This new plan does have me doing more cardio and in the gym.

Give it some time. Our workouts are around 5-600 reps in 55 minutes or so making very little rest. Try to look for ways to make your workouts cardio based while lifting. Doing supersets, giant sets etc. I do cardio everyday aside from the workouts and it took some time for the metabalism to catch up and kick in but once it did, the weight started dropping like a stone.

Are you a Metro Fitness member?

Kowboy
02-03-12, 10:14 am
No, I workout at DSCC. The base gym is really nice although supersetting can be a pain in the ass. It is totally free to use the gym, spin all that. I just wish they had a pool.

Xander
02-03-12, 10:15 am
No, I workout at DSCC. The base gym is really nice although supersetting can be a pain in the ass. It is totally free to use the gym, spin all that. I just wish they had a pool.

Can't beat free! Nice!

Kowboy
02-03-12, 10:26 am
They just upgraded all the equipment as well. It is a really nice gym.

Xander
02-03-12, 2:04 pm
Back and Bi's today.

Alternated a back movement with a bi movement for the entire workout. I like this, last week went really heavy and this week was more about speed and reps. Lots of bands, and mostly bodyweight stuff with cables thrown in for good measure on both.

All the bi movements were high movements trying to drive the elbow towards the ceiling from all angles. Back movement was concentrated and targeted to everything but lower. Here's a video of the last bi movement.

http://www.markusvanmeter.com/images/BB2012/Curls.wmv

214.7 lbs this am.

Xander
02-06-12, 2:24 pm
Good weekend, lots of napping. Weight is dropping like a stone. 213.1 this morning.

Dealing with either a mild groin pull or a lower ab pull. Not getting worse, not getting better so going to start icing .

Wheels

Taking into consideration the injury.

Smith Machine Squats with Red Bands and weight. Worked up to 5x5 with 275lbs after many warm up sets at lighter weight.
Red Bands on the Hack Squat. Explosive with a 1 second pause at the bottom. 6 sets of 10
Dumbbell Stiff Legged Deads 6sets of 5
Lying Leg Extensions (took the back rest out) 10 sets of 12 at 90lbs.
Lying Ham Curls 6 sets of 5 at 70 lbs.
Leg Extensions leaning forward over knee 6 sets of 10 at 90lbs.

Xander
02-07-12, 3:40 pm
Busted out my wife's ultrasound machine last night on my lower ab strain. Then iced the shit out of it. Amazing the effects today. Still soreness but really diminished. Now have a rotator to ice. Sucks getting old. 44 years old shit starts to hurt! LOL! Glad it does tho'.. Reminds me of my goals.

Treasure Chest

Heavy Bench. Worked up to 300 for a double. Then down to 3 sets of 6 at 225lbs.
Speed Bench on the Smith Machine with Bands 5 sets of 30 second timed sets
Below parrallell push ups. Had to stop as it was agitating my rotator. Substituted this with incline dumbbells for 30 second timed sets.
High Cable Flys Super Set with side dumbbell smashes 3 sets of 10 each
Low Cable Flys 3 sets of 10
Medium Cable Flys Super Set with dumbbell smashes 3 sets of 10
Finished with inclined pushups 100 reps non stop

Diet feels good, still doing 2 a days with cardio in the evening. Weighed 214 this morning. Gained a pound which is to be expected after leg day. But right after breakfast took one of those dumps where you lose a pant size. So who knows. Maybe 212 ish all things considering.

Xander
02-08-12, 2:14 pm
More icing and ultrasound last night. Amazing how well that combo works. My pull ab or groin feels way better than it did on Monday.

Arms

We blasted non stop for 55 minutes starting with bi's then on to tris. Went for volume at all angles hitting all heads and the full bicep. Really felt good and endless. That feeling where you could workout like that all day.

Lots of bands of course and isolation work. No compound movements. Shape, definition, fullness is really coming around and very excited. Continuing to drop BF. Looking forward to heading to the Nevis next week for 10 days of training in warm weather.

Xander
02-09-12, 2:21 pm
Back today. Felt strong. Since we did biceps yesterday today was very little pulling and lots of pullovers to save the load on the bis.

Started out with heavy dumbbell pullovers working up to 5 sets of 5 with 100lbs. Then on to incline band pullovers super set with incline band pull downs. This was a great new exercise that really isolated the lats. Next was machine cable rows (standing with one foot on the bar) 5 sets of 8 then on to pull ups-wide grip and narrow- then band crunches.

Xander
02-09-12, 2:34 pm
Here's a short vid spliced together of today's Back workout

http://www.markusvanmeter.com/images/BB2012/BackDay.wmv

Xander
02-10-12, 1:11 pm
Finished the week out with shoulders. Weighed 213.0 this AM and abs are starting to show. Diet change coming next week.

Shoulder Press 6x12 on the Bodymaster Squat Machine with Bands attached
Rear Dumbbell Laterals 5x15
Shoulder Bomb-Lying on the Ground superset with one arm laterals. Done in the cable rack. Too complicated to explain. 200 reps
Upright Snatches 6x10
Rack Trap Pulls 5x5
Smith Machine Bent Trap Shrugs. 5x10

This will be my last journal entry until February 27th. My wife and I are headed to Nevis (little island next to St. Kitts) for 2 weeks. We have a timeshare there and the gym in Charleston has d-bells up to 150. Going to continue my training down there in warm weather and do all my cardio on the beach in the sand to mix things up.

Xander
02-27-12, 3:51 pm
Nevis was off the hook. Never have I traveled and eaten so well. Fresh fish daily with eggs for breakfast. Exceptional food. Got all my training in, the local gym in Nevis had dumbbells up to 160lbs and minimal equipment but did the trick. What was cool was the Animal Posters in the gym. Big Al squatting one was great.

Didn't gain a pound or lose a pound while gone but lost 1 inch off the circumference of my abs.

Did an assessment today for the next 13 weeks out and where we needed to be etc. Pretty jazzed and my trainer was happy to see me in good shape returning. It's awn now! Eat, Sleep, Shit competition.

Big Chest today and we are starting to move toward a faster style of training to incorporate more cardio and matching complimenting bodyparts. Like Chest/Tris followed up with 3 minutes of HIT cardio at the end of the workout. Will still be doing my low intensity stuff on the Precor daily.

I wish I could say if felt good to be back. I could live and train in Nevis.

tark
03-08-12, 5:17 pm
Ive been reading a little of your journey. Keep up the great work brother and i look forward to keeping up on your journey!!

Xander
03-14-12, 9:17 am
Ive been reading a little of your journey. Keep up the great work brother and i look forward to keeping up on your journey!!

Thanks brother. I have taken a step back from the Net as it's kind of a distraction. Will post updates every so often.

Training is going very well. Down to 208 lbs and abs are showing, feeling full and feel like my body is on auto-pilot. Heading back to Nevis in 2 weeks to kick it on the beach and train. They gym there is very nice (but little) and has everything I need. Throwing in 3 scuba trips, couple windsurfing lessons, and plenty of hiking, running, etc. Always training.

Get back on Easter Day and it will be 6 weeks out. Very happy with conditioning and progress so far. Will post up pics at 4 weeks out.

tark
04-03-12, 8:14 pm
hey man just checking in on ya and seeing how that prep is coming along...your almost 6 weeks out!!