PDA

View Full Version : Going to strongman

cschnell
12-13-11, 11:39 pm
sup fellas. Looking for some advice. Going to be starting to train the strongman way with my dad when he gets back in the game. Wondering if ya guys got any advice to get prepared for it. I have no strongman equipment so i cant prepare that way. If you guys notice anything i should switch with my diet i'd appreciate it if ya could help me out. As of now im preparing for this new style of lifting by doing lots of powerlifting things. tryin to get the bench,squat,dead up there as high as i can so i can pick up these atlas stones.

diet consists of
meal1 6eggs (3yolks) bowl of oats............ meal5 10oz chicken breast potato greenbeans
meal 2 10oz chicken breast potato.............meal 6 ill snack on some yogurt or a can a tuna before bed
meal 3 10oz chicken breast 2cups rice
meal 4 whey protein shake

If ya guys notice anything i should change let me know. thanks appreciate it. ill keep ya guys up to date with the strength gains before the strongman shit

cschnell
12-14-11, 12:27 am
currently those said lifts.

deadlift 315 for 7 before grip failed (no belt no straps)
squat 275 for 11 again no belt no nothin
bench 225 for 7

im about 5"10 180lbs

Nix0r
12-14-11, 12:44 am
You're gonna want to train a lot of overhead pressing as well.

Jay
12-14-11, 12:53 am
How old are ya and what's your current training split?

mcbeast
12-14-11, 2:25 am
Powerlifting movements will help build a great base, however strongman is alot about technique. Find heavy awkward objects, pick them up. Find smaller ones, repeat and put them overhead. Work on heavy overhead pressing and front squatting. Oh yeah, and eat some freakin oreos...

Bruiser
12-14-11, 5:45 am
Powerlifting movements will help build a great base, however strongman is alot about technique. Find heavy awkward objects, pick them up. Find smaller ones, repeat and put them overhead. Work on heavy overhead pressing and front squatting. Oh yeah, and eat some freakin oreos...

This is great advice, and not just the part about Oreos! LOL I see Strongman as a test of endurance as well as general & functional strength. It's being able to pick up heavy, awkward objects at odd angles. And being able to do it without getting winded. So anything can be used for Strongman training. Look at Higa, he pushes his kids around in the SUV!!

cschnell
12-14-11, 11:17 am

man i love oreos lol but i know theres a couple of 400lb tires at my old highschool. things are really light and can flip them for days but i guess its a start. also i do lots of military presses should i start doing them standing?

cschnell
12-14-11, 11:19 am
How old are ya and what's your current training split?

im 19, mon chest tues legs thurs back saturday shoulders

cschnell
12-14-11, 11:39 am
also on back day guys i put in some techniques to help better my grip to be honest i feel i have the grip of a seven year old girl. i put some weight together and put the plates face to face so i have nothing to grip. i grip these in one hand to help up my pinch grip and switch hands and what not. when i do deads. ill squeeze the living shit outta the bar at the top. any other techniques you guys know for helping out grip?

cschnell
12-15-11, 1:42 pm
today was back day.
warmed up with lat pull downs
moved onto deadlifts (today was supposed to be a light high rep day but wasnt feeling it lol)
set 1 bar
set 2 135x10
set3 225x10
set4 275x6
set5 315x1(at this point i was seeing where i was at
set6 365x1
set 7 405x1 NEW PR
felt great after this hit some tbar rows with 160lbs on it for 8 for 3 sets
then did 3 sets of pull ups and dumbell rows with 80s for 10\

after that worked on grip got 3 plates on the gripper for 3 rounds of 30seconds each.

great day today time to eat!

cschnell
12-19-11, 3:10 pm
missed shoulders last week kind of feel like a bum but the holidays and working a ton are getting to me. work in retail too so not an easy time of year . But was in the gym today for chest went somethin like a this.
bench
set 1 - 135x12
set 2 - 185 x10
set 3 - 205 x8
set 4 - 225 x6
incline db press
set 1- 55lb x12
set2-4 80lb db x 6
flys
close grip bench 3 sets of 135 for 10
did some cable flys

HIGA MONSTER
12-20-11, 12:27 am
Whats up bro?

Start doing some Overhead presses. And you need to do them standing. There is no pressing event in Strongman where you are sitting down.
Front squats are a great exercise to help your overhead press.

Grip.
A must in strongman. Start using an Axle or buy some Fat Gripz to help build your supporting strength in those hands.

Stop flat benching unless its Close grip presses as you get closer to a strongman contest. You can do Incline Bench though.

Conditioning. This is the most important IMO. You have to go balls to the wall for 60-75 seconds, so you need to make sure that you are in shape. Do a lot of sled drags or Prowler pushes to help get those legs in shape.

Strong deadlifts are good but make sure that you try to lift a stone. Its completely different.

Keep it up bro,
HIGA MONSTER

cschnell
12-20-11, 10:17 pm
Whats up bro?

Start doing some Overhead presses. And you need to do them standing. There is no pressing event in Strongman where you are sitting down.
Front squats are a great exercise to help your overhead press.

Grip.
A must in strongman. Start using an Axle or buy some Fat Gripz to help build your supporting strength in those hands.

Stop flat benching unless its Close grip presses as you get closer to a strongman contest. You can do Incline Bench though.

Conditioning. This is the most important IMO. You have to go balls to the wall for 60-75 seconds, so you need to make sure that you are in shape. Do a lot of sled drags or Prowler pushes to help get those legs in shape.

Strong deadlifts are good but make sure that you try to lift a stone. Its completely different.

Keep it up bro,
HIGA MONSTER

sup man, yeah ill hit the overhead presses this week. been working the grip for a couple weeks now threw out the straps and things and replaced it with chalk even though the gym owners go nuts. ill begin lifting the stones and doing some farmers walks just after the new year. but thanks alot for the advice man appreciate hearing it from someone who knows the game

cschnell
12-20-11, 10:21 pm
today was legs
squats
set1 225x5
set2 225x5
set3 245x5
set4 275x5
set5 225x12
stiff legged deads 135x12on box for 3 sets
leg press
set1 2pps 12
set2 4pps 10
set3 5pps 10
set4 6pps 8
finished it off with some leg extensions

not bad for having toothpick legs
however tonight i feel like shit.. been busting my ass today to get some errands done now i feel like im about to come on with the flu. try and sweat it out tonight see where im at tomorrow

cschnell
05-17-12, 6:49 pm
Taken your guys advice. I now Press random things overhead, gardening pots to rugs lol. Eat alot more body weight went up to 180. Been event training for about 2 months. heres my prs

stones -180,205,225,245, 270(lap) in 1.30. Got the 180-245 in about 25seconds the 270 took a little more but should be racked soon. our platform goes like this
5ft 5 ft 4.5ft 4ft 4ft

170's farmers for 200ft in 31seconds
200's fw 200ft 37seconds
220's fw 200ft 50 seconds

husafell (about 300lbs) 250+ft

tire flip (100ft about 550-650lbs) about 2 mins

Had a tendon injury which set me back a little but the rehband knee sleeves and tacky came in so in the next few weeks i should be kicking ass and breaking these prs. ill check in from time to time to update you guys thanks alot for the help!

cschnell
06-14-12, 10:13 pm
crushed my damn fingers, ripped a nail off, during a stone lifting session. sucked ass. healing ill be back at it soon and im going to piss on that stone.

HIGA MONSTER
06-15-12, 12:08 pm
crushed my damn fingers, ripped a nail off, during a stone lifting session. sucked ass. healing ill be back at it soon and im going to piss on that stone.
Bro, where you been?

Sorry to hear about your fingers. That fuckin sucks.
What part of Michigan do you live? There are a bunch of guys in the Detroit area that you should hook up with.

Jared Spybrook is one of them.

HIGA MONSTER

HIGA MONSTER
06-15-12, 12:10 pm
That sucks. Good to hear that you are sticking with it though.

HIGA MONSTER

cschnell
06-17-12, 5:47 pm
Bro, where you been?

Sorry to hear about your fingers. That fuckin sucks.
What part of Michigan do you live? There are a bunch of guys in the Detroit area that you should hook up with.

Jared Spybrook is one of them.

HIGA MONSTER

The nails are coming along now. Back in the gym and ill be back doing my event training this sunday. My dad use to train at jareds house with him when he was pretty serious about doing strongman. so i could probably arrange that lol

cschnell
11-04-12, 9:20 pm
Sup guys. training was workin wonders. loading 205-295lb stones at 175lb body weight. walkin 460lb farmers for 200ft. walkin the 520lb farmers for a 100. doin good with the 500lb yoke for a pretty good time. Well somethin happened.

About two months ago while either doing a stone session or deadlift or something my back felt weird. Trained though it. I would have my good days and bad days. didnt think much of it. Well, i pulled a 405 DL the other day(nothing very big for me) boom lower back pain. Was intense. Had a hard time tieing my shoes or sleeping for days.

Pretty sure its a disc problem maybe my siatic nerve or something. Took 2 weeks off. Here I am now.

Any words of advice? When should I train again? I feel fine now. Little soreness but still feel good. I was wondering if i should start training rehabilitation exercises. Start building back up. Im going crazy. I feel im getting soft. HELP OUT GUYS