PDA

View Full Version : Manual labor

Go Away
12-21-11, 9:38 am
Some of us are lucky enough to have jobs that allow lots of sitting, lots of calculations, sales pitches, conferences, corporate lunches, meetings, 9 to 5, and the water cooler conversation. I guess the grass is always greener because I'd love to have that professional life.

Others have to work with our hands, lift heavy tools and supplies, five minute lunch breaks, stay with dirty fingernails and work 60+ hours six days a week.

How do those from both sides of the fence and beyond balance time at work, with wife and kids, with friends, with house and home, leisure, gym work, meals, etc. ???

I find it extremely challenging to give each enough attention without neglecting something. It's def a constant work in progress.
Sometimes I feel like there isn't enough hours in the day to do laundry, dishes, bills, the yard, vehicle maintenance, cook, shop, not to mention the kids extra curriculars, training, reading...

Want some more cheese with that wine?
No, thanks. Curiosity is what sparked this semi-venting inquiry.

Y'all stay blessed and enjoy the beautiful chaos which is The Holidays. One.

R-Man
12-21-11, 12:47 pm
I dont have kids but I understand where your coming from, I work with concrete my hours are 6-430 mon-fri & right now roughly every other sat cause its not busy right now. Its a long day plus hittin the gym afterwards it def takes a toll after a while.

God bless you doing the family thing after bustin your ass all day. Much respect.

C.Coronato
12-21-11, 12:50 pm
To be honest, the grass is always greener, because i would love to be out of the corporate environment. Not as cracked up as it seems.

But none the less, i still do have a long ass day. Up at 7, commute to work, 9-530, commute home to the gym by 7, then GF/Cooking/Errands time after. Some days ill be be working one of my other jobs. Its tough, but its gotta be done. Nothing is handed to you brother, the rewards you will reap, will be great.

Go Away
12-21-11, 5:11 pm
Nothing is handed to you brother, the rewards you will reap, will be great.

Well said.

Cranky
12-23-11, 7:42 am
Its brutal for me. Stacking bags of crete and lifting toilets takes its toll.Then I have to deal with kids at the bowling alley and drunks at the bar. Working 2 jobs a day then training for a hr after means not seeing my family as much as I want. Luckily I have a great wife that supports me and raises my kids with good values and love n care. Dont think I could survive behind a desk though, not enough action.

Go Away
12-26-11, 8:07 am
Its brutal for me. Stacking bags of crete and lifting toilets takes its toll.Then I have to deal with kids at the bowling alley and drunks at the bar. Working 2 jobs a day then training for a hr after means not seeing my family as much as I want. Luckily I have a great wife that supports me and raises my kids with good values and love n care. Dont think I could survive behind a desk though, not enough action.

Thats a beautiful thing. I was rocking two jobs when my first born came into the world - it was murder. Locating utilities and then heading to Hooters to cook in the back til late - on weekends we would be in there from noon to 3-5am cleaning and prepping. That was a nightmare. Much respect to you for grinding it out and to your lady for holding it down. Finding someone you can spend the rest of your life with who can also be a good role model and teacher to the little ones is certainly a blessing.

Keep doing what youre doing, homie.

BryanSmash!
12-26-11, 10:03 pm
Some of us are lucky enough to have jobs that allow lots of sitting, lots of calculations, sales pitches, conferences, corporate lunches, meetings, 9 to 5, and the water cooler conversation. I guess the grass is always greener because I'd love to have that professional life.

Others have to work with our hands, lift heavy tools and supplies, five minute lunch breaks, stay with dirty fingernails and work 60+ hours six days a week.

How do those from both sides of the fence and beyond balance time at work, with wife and kids, with friends, with house and home, leisure, gym work, meals, etc. ???

I find it extremely challenging to give each enough attention without neglecting something. It's def a constant work in progress.
Sometimes I feel like there isn't enough hours in the day to do laundry, dishes, bills, the yard, vehicle maintenance, cook, shop, not to mention the kids extra curriculars, training, reading...

Want some more cheese with that wine?
No, thanks. Curiosity is what sparked this semi-venting inquiry.

Y'all stay blessed and enjoy the beautiful chaos which is The Holidays. One.

Each individual situation will very greatly, however the one common theme will be that everyone makes it work as best as they can. If training isnt paying the bills however, I see no reason for it to interfere with activities of ones children.

Tron
12-27-11, 11:08 am
To be honest, the grass is always greener, because i would love to be out of the corporate environment. Not as cracked up as it seems.

But none the less, i still do have a long ass day. Up at 7, commute to work, 9-530, commute home to the gym by 7, then GF/Cooking/Errands time after. Some days ill be be working one of my other jobs. Its tough, but its gotta be done. Nothing is handed to you brother, the rewards you will reap, will be great.

Amen to that. Sometimes it would be nice to have a monotonous job that you didn't have to think at. I am for the most part lucky to have a relaxed schedule, but sometimes it can get overwhelming.

Each individual situation will very greatly, however the one common theme will be that everyone makes it work as best as they can. If training isnt paying the bills however, I see no reason for it to interfere with activities of ones children.

Amen. I got a lil' girl on the way. I will probably make sure to lift at work over lunch break every day instead of what had seemed to become a routine of 3 or so days a week. I'm going to spend every minute with that lil' lady that I can!

Aggression
12-27-11, 11:24 am

Amen to that. Sometimes it would be nice to have a monotonous job that you didn't have to think at. I am for the most part lucky to have a relaxed schedule, but sometimes it can get overwhelming.

Truth.

I've worked in both areas of employment. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. C summed it up best; grass is always greener.

jhenry
11-01-12, 11:25 pm
I just got a job part time 20-25 hrs a week after college classes as a rock crusher/picker at an asphalt plant, basically you pick out wood, metal, trash from a huge conveyer belt leaving only rocks. I'm excited to make some decent money being the typical broke college student, however all though it is part time its still pretty physically demanding, there's a lot of awkward bending over and you have to be fast. Im a bit sore after my first day, I know ill still be able to make it to the gym just like I always do just need my body to adjust, anyways does anyone have a similar job involving manual labor like construction etc?

Solid Dreams
11-01-12, 11:30 pm
I work at UPS, and Ben Seath works construction, as well as several other dudes. Dont worry, it'll be good for you.

papercut
11-02-12, 12:57 am
I work sanitation at a factory and granted the heaviest thing lift day to day is a bucket of water and a ladder. its a different sort of manual labor. and after my first couple of weeks my body adjusted to squeezing/contorting into all of the tight rafters and machines even with lifting. just give it time. you'll adapt.

Firefist
11-02-12, 8:54 am
Trust me brother, you aint alone. I did roofing/siding and landscaping for a few summers. Most of us have done some form of hard manual labor, youre in good company. Congrats on the job mayne.

P Diesel
11-02-12, 10:51 am
ull b fine, i used to work 6-3 for a stone mason then head to the gym for training. no big deal, its good for ya

P

jhenry
11-02-12, 6:06 pm
Day 2 today. Boss took me down to what they call the pit, its where the sand and gravel is mixed, it constatly spills off the belts making a pile, that shit was almost eye level haha, "henry shovel this pile of rocks till we stop mixing" spent a good hour down there shoveling, now off to the gym to train back. I'm enjoying it though I like being outside and it beats my second job as a mcdonalds manager haha

Cranky
11-02-12, 7:02 pm
Day 2 today. Boss took me down to what they call the pit, its where the sand and gravel is mixed, it constatly spills off the belts making a pile, that shit was almost eye level haha, "henry shovel this pile of rocks till we stop mixing" spent a good hour down there shoveling, now off to the gym to train back. I'm enjoying it though I like being outside and it beats my second job as a mcdonalds manager haha

They always give the 'BEST' jobs to the new guy dont they?!?!

BRIGNAC
11-03-12, 12:15 pm
I just got a job part time 20-25 hrs a week after college classes as a rock crusher/picker at an asphalt plant, basically you pick out wood, metal, trash from a huge conveyer belt leaving only rocks. I'm excited to make some decent money being the typical broke college student, however all though it is part time its still pretty physically demanding, there's a lot of awkward bending over and you have to be fast. Im a bit sore after my first day, I know ill still be able to make it to the gym just like I always do just need my body to adjust, anyways does anyone have a similar job involving manual labor like construction etc?

I posted a balance thead a little while back man everyone on here in incouraging. I work 40+ hours a week tieing steel as a rodbuster/ironworker. Then i work my second job at the gym I train at a few evenings a week plus every saturday. Trust me rebar is no joke and i would wish my job on no one..... well maybe a few of the engineers who design some of the F*D up shit they do, but o well. Any way point is alot of us have hard manual labor jobs. Jay Cutler was a concrete guy and look at him now. Look at it in a positive way like i try to do, the steel i lift all day is heavy so therefor i get to train all day haha. A workout that was refered to me since i have so little time to do actual gym training was the 5-3-1 workout a Core based work out. Deadlifts/Squats/Bench/Press(shoulders) its a 4 day a week program mostly designed for powerlifters but easy to adjust. Pick your day to do each core and then add some accessory movements and it makes for a quick workout that will really ware you down.

GUNS
11-04-12, 12:28 pm
I posted a balance thead a little while back man everyone on here in incouraging. I work 40+ hours a week tieing steel as a rodbuster/ironworker. Then i work my second job at the gym I train at a few evenings a week plus every saturday. Trust me rebar is no joke and i would wish my job on no one..... well maybe a few of the engineers who design some of the F*D up shit they do, but o well. Any way point is alot of us have hard manual labor jobs. Jay Cutler was a concrete guy and look at him now. Look at it in a positive way like i try to do, the steel i lift all day is heavy so therefor i get to train all day haha. A workout that was refered to me since i have so little time to do actual gym training was the 5-3-1 workout a Core based work out. Deadlifts/Squats/Bench/Press(shoulders) its a 4 day a week program mostly designed for powerlifters but easy to adjust. Pick your day to do each core and then add some accessory movements and it makes for a quick workout that will really ware you down.
Agree. I see what these guys go through at Brignac job since my wife runs that company. And i did 24 years of construction in the military. So add construction all day on top of military pt and other bs. Still got it done.