PDA

View Full Version : Soreness...

Maccabee
03-07-07, 5:40 pm
Ok guys lets get one thing straight this post is strictly for a friend of mine and not me. I love the soarness and sometimes it felt like hell but I love it everytime. The thing is he started training with me, and today he told me he couldnt pick up his arm to touch his damn face. He asked me if there was anything he could do to make the soarness go away. He cant even pick up his arm. I felt bad killen him but wat do you expect training with an Animal.

So i told him to just eat alot, sleep more, and drink some more water. I personally never heard of ways to make it go away. If there are any ways out there to make it less painful which I doubt but please say so. Thank you guys. Normally I wouldnt post this up because I know what everyone will say, but the dude is seriously dieng. I told him if in a few days it still hurts the same way that he should go to a doctor. Thanks guys.

SDR
03-07-07, 5:45 pm
Icing helps and so do most of the heat liniments on the market, I personally use this little bottle called Axe Oil, very popular in china/thailand...and of course STRETCHING after training.

brandonA
03-07-07, 5:46 pm
The only thing that really ever helps me is to keep moving. If i stop and sit for a while, i stiffen back up and start to hurt.....i have heard that potassum helps break up the latic (sp) acid....but like you nothing has taken the pain away......got to learn to love it....

-B

ChrisG
03-07-07, 6:14 pm
I just started training also and my shoulders and triceps are still sore from monday, chest day.. makes it pretty obvious what is lacking most on my body but I'm the kind of person that loves the soreness because it lets me know that I'm actually working and not being some lazy bum sitting around on my ass watching tv and playing video games all day. Although I did take a few ibuprofen last night because it was uncomfortable as hell sleepin on my like 10 year old bed with springs pokin me all over the place lol.

never_2_big
03-07-07, 6:21 pm
just tell him to harden the fuck up, it'll get better like anything you do. he wants to train but doesnt want to get sore, whats the bloody point, slap him in the head and tell him to wake up.

hot showers will ease the pain, and like one of the other brothers alredy said some stretching always helps too. gotta break down the lactic acid.

vIShuS
03-07-07, 6:32 pm
stretching before and after your training session. also the day after your training session you need to stretch. another thing you can keep in consideration is you could take some supps thatll help you decrease that soreness,(not totally though...creatine,test booster,etc..) but besides that, tell him he needs to learn to love it.

-SiSu

IronChin
03-07-07, 6:54 pm
Lots of bananas will help with this, too.

Cstlfx
03-07-07, 7:10 pm
Only thing I can offer is potassium, ben gay, stretching, and ibuprofen.

Cr4zYH3aD
03-07-07, 7:12 pm
have not streched, can barely move my arm.

Maccabee
03-07-07, 7:16 pm
ok great guys I will tell him everything you said. Shit imagine leg day, damn this week he skipped it cause he didnt wake up early enough to make it to the gym. But next week he has no clue what is gonna hit em. lol

bleed_alone
03-07-07, 7:37 pm
when you tear down muscle tissue, it becomes full of lactic acid. if you do a 30 minute cardio session with heart rate at maximum while drinking another half gallon or so of water, it'll help flush out the lactic acid which creates a lot of soreness. but if you're not doing cardio for bulking or w/e then i'm sure he could just get used to it, it's something we all know quite well

TufffGuY
03-07-07, 7:42 pm
lots of streching and make sure u get a good postworkout meal

BIG45s
03-07-07, 9:03 pm
stretching before and after your training session. also the day after your training session you need to stretch. another thing you can keep in consideration is you could take some supps thatll help you decrease that soreness,(not totally though...creatine,test booster,etc..) but besides that, tell him he needs to learn to love it.

-SiSu Definately stretch. This is the one thing I am doing relgiously that used to be a passing thing done with next to know conviction. It helps a lot.

spanish.iron
03-08-07, 1:18 am
Did this guy just start lifting? Cuz damn... going straight into a hardcore routine with someone who's been doing it for a while will slaughter you.

djlr42789
03-08-07, 1:50 am
"I think about the meaning of pain.
Pain is personal.
It really belongs to the one feeling it.
Probably the only thing that is your own.
I like mine. "

-h.rollins

jeff00z28
03-08-07, 2:08 am
hot tub

hjayss
03-08-07, 2:13 am
It is always best to ice it down first sign of soreness. Also on the second day always use a warm pad of and on every 20 mins. If it persists or get worse than a anti inflammitory is or might be needed. I hope you did not rip him to bad bro show em the way bro.

claudio_rdgz
03-29-07, 8:38 pm
Only thing I can offer is potassium, ben gay, stretching, and ibuprofen.

Ibuprofen is a NSAID, Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug... In an issue of MD there was an article about NSAIDs, according to it, they could delay your gains by preventing or blocking some of your hormone production.

I am trying to find a way to reduce lactic acid production by changing my daily diet. I know that if you pound a muscle almost daily (every two days) the lactic acid production reduces, but of course, the amount of pain increases, the gains reduces, and the possibility of overtraining.

Hollow
03-30-07, 1:36 pm
There was a similar thread on this topic. In some cases vitamin C (approx. 1,000 mg) taken after a workout can help reduce some of the soreness. This does not work for everyone.

vgiordano
03-30-07, 3:33 pm
Stretch 4 times a day, get a full body sports massage, eat alot of good proteins and veggies, sleep well and drink water to flush out all of that acid from his system.

Maccabee
03-30-07, 7:39 pm
Did this guy just start lifting? Cuz damn... going straight into a hardcore routine with someone who's been doing it for a while will slaughter you.

Bro I told him that I dont want him training with me. I offered to give him a beginners workout, but his ego is infecting his mind. So I kicked his ass, and now he knows what he is up against. I think I am going to drop him and tell him that I dont want to workout with him anymore. Its just punishement for him.

I mean we hit legs and he didnt come to the gym for a week cause he couldnt walk. I got to drop him cause its just stupid havin him around. I tried to explain to him that its overtraining, but all he does is just say dont worry. So I got not choice but to fuck him up and make him learn the mistakes he is making.

Hollow
03-30-07, 7:54 pm
His ego got in the way? What can you say, ignorance is bliss.

Tron
03-30-07, 11:57 pm
Pride is a pain. Good idea on the beginner workout for him. Tell him to start light and just move up the ol' fashioned way... controlled.

born0withno0soul
03-31-07, 12:00 am
Bro I told him that I dont want him training with me. I offered to give him a beginners workout, but his ego is infecting his mind. So I kicked his ass, and now he knows what he is up against. I think I am going to drop him and tell him that I dont want to workout with him anymore. Its just punishement for him.

I mean we hit legs and he didnt come to the gym for a week cause he couldnt walk. I got to drop him cause its just stupid havin him around. I tried to explain to him that its overtraining, but all he does is just say dont worry. So I got not choice but to fuck him up and make him learn the mistakes he is making.

as long as he tries to hang let him work out with you. when he cant take it anymore he will quit and go home or you will have one hell of a workout partner. dont drop him, let him quit or succeed.

pumpaholic
03-31-07, 12:48 pm
as long as he tries to hang let him work out with you. when he cant take it anymore he will quit and go home or you will have one hell of a workout partner. dont drop him, let him quit or succeed.

I agree brother. This is how I started out. Wasn't the pride that wouldn't let me go to a beginner’s workout, it was the fire from the desire to succeed. Feeling alive for the first time I grinned and bore the pain of payment. I couldn't bend my arms more then 15 degrees for my first month of working out with a couple of true animals. Now I hammer curl 175. Let him stick around. It won't hurt him if you keep him in form. Soon you will have a hell of a work out partner.

dIdDy
04-02-07, 5:25 am
Ok guys lets get one thing straight this post is strictly for a friend of mine and not me. I love the soarness and sometimes it felt like hell but I love it everytime. The thing is he started training with me, and today he told me he couldnt pick up his arm to touch his damn face. He asked me if there was anything he could do to make the soarness go away. He cant even pick up his arm. I felt bad killen him but wat do you expect training with an Animal.

So i told him to just eat alot, sleep more, and drink some more water. I personally never heard of ways to make it go away. If there are any ways out there to make it less painful which I doubt but please say so. Thank you guys. Normally I wouldnt post this up because I know what everyone will say, but the dude is seriously dieng. I told him if in a few days it still hurts the same way that he should go to a doctor. Thanks guys.

dudes just got classic noob soreness. get his ass back in the gym when it heals and take it a little easier till he builds up a little...

Tron
04-02-07, 2:39 pm

That may be one way to look at it, but for a beginner nothing is more destructive than failure. It's a hard situation. If you let him go too little, he is just spinning his wheels. If you let him go too hard, he'll get too far in the snow and get stuck. Finding the mixture is a little hard. Just keep being helpful would be the best option.

Strongwilled
04-02-07, 4:33 pm
The holistic medicine lady I go to for detoxing my body after chemo told me 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinager in a glass of water pre-workout is supposed to help break down the latic acid. I haven't tried it yet since I like to feel like I've lifted after I've lifted...the advice to keep movin' is true too.

Ricky P
04-02-07, 4:39 pm
ok great guys I will tell him everything you said. Shit imagine leg day, damn this week he skipped it cause he didnt wake up early enough to make it to the gym. But next week he has no clue what is gonna hit em. lol

Sounds more like he just doesn't want to get into it. He doesn't sound too enthusiastic about training.

firsthorseman97
01-17-08, 8:00 am
This is my question to the brothers... I'm DC training so I'm hitting body parts more frequently. My legs were still sore when I hit my DLs yesterday. (I lfted legs Monday) I was wondering if since my legs were still sore if that means they're still recovering and in a weakened state? To be honest they felt strong.

shepsc02
01-17-08, 9:14 am
You should be sore after you lift hard! Especially legs--they remain sore longer probably more than any other body part. If you are sore-that means you hit the weights hard and that you did it rite. Sore is good

king1
01-17-08, 9:15 am
In my experience they arent going to necessarily be weaker. Ive had some of my best workouts and Pr's when i came in sore. Once you get some blood flowing and you get into the workout you'll forget your sore. I bet pretty soon you will adapt and not become so sore, or atleast recover a lot quicker.

james.b.2000
01-17-08, 1:47 pm
if he's sore and wants to complain, tell him to try this in the shower:

get nice and warm and try to start moving the sore parts about to get some blood through them.
when he's nice and comfortable he should gradually lower the temp of the water till about 25C. pretty cold, like swimming pool temperature.
when he gets used to this, he should crank the hot ALL the way down, so it's just cold water, and keep it like that for 30-60secs, then warm it back up for 60 secs, then crank down for 60 and repeat about 5 times.

loads of research has gone into this especially in Oz, and most atheletes say it helps them get over the pain much quicker, cause it causes all your blood vessels to tighten and squeeze out all the remaining lactic acid etc.

(had to research it for sport science)

but SHIT. i tried this when i once mixed heavy squatting with shrugs, which tore up my traps. so i got out of the shower and felt like i had died a little inside. and i deal with the pain.

pain from weightlifting is what it's about, and the ways of dealing with the pain are 10 times worse than the causes of the pain.

DreamZero
01-17-08, 2:51 pm
Ibuprofen is a NSAID, Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug... In an issue of MD there was an article about NSAIDs, according to it, they could delay your gains by preventing or blocking some of your hormone production.

I am trying to find a way to reduce lactic acid production by changing my daily diet. I know that if you pound a muscle almost daily (every two days) the lactic acid production reduces, but of course, the amount of pain increases, the gains reduces, and the possibility of overtraining.

x2. I found this. "(...) These results suggest that over-the-counter doses of both ibuprofen and acetaminophen suppress the protein synthesis response in skeletal muscle after eccentric resistance exercise. Thus these two analgesics may work through a common mechanism to influence protein metabolism in skeletal muscle."

from : http://ajpendo.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/282/3/E551

Cherish your pain, you worked hard for it.

mex.i.can
01-18-08, 11:00 am
first of all, if your friend is new to the iron game or returning after a long layoff, he shouldn't be doing the same things you do. he is going to hurt himself. when i got back in the game after a long layoff, the first several weeks i did low weight for reps in order to get my muscles accustomed to it. after the first few weeks, i began to gradually morph my workouts from beginner status to something that would help me attain my goals. so tell your friend to do it right or stop complaining...lol.

anyways, as for the soreness issue. lots of people have already mentioned many good ideas on ridding oneself of muscle soreness. some of my personal favorites include stretching, potassium intake from foods such as sweet potatoes, and cardio to get the blood flowing which helps transport lactic acid out of the muscles. another one of my favorites, which i believe significantly helps me reduce soreness, is the consumption of citrulline malate. i used to get sore quite a bit from blasting my muscles at the gym until i started adding 6 grams of citrulline malate to my big ant's workout beverage/cocktail. citrulline malate helps metabolize the lactic acid in your body which is the culprit in soreness. if you'd like to read more about it, here is a link...

http://www.ironmagazine.com/review52.html

staudt
03-21-08, 12:08 pm
Yesterday I did a really hard workout for legs, and I had rested my legs for about 2 weeks and this morning im so sore than I'm getting muscle spasms and I feel like im gonna puke how can I get rid of this...

krazyassmexican
03-21-08, 12:09 pm
let it be.... LOL
or i dunno probably some cold showers or increase your omega 3 fatty acids intake

it is normal when you stop trainin a body part for a while

i didnt train biceps for like 7 weeks and when i did they were sore for a complete week

pmug0000
03-21-08, 12:24 pm
Don't worry about it, just take it easy for a few days and the soreness will go away soon enough. Also, next time you hit legs stretch them out real good after lifting. Stretch for like 10 minutes, and maybe do some light cardio, and that should really help decrease the soreness.

widdlewade44
03-21-08, 12:30 pm
Water and L-Glutamine have helped me with DOMS and cramps/spasms like you're saying...good luck and nice leg's session.

Kevin
widdlewade44

staudt
03-21-08, 1:32 pm
sweet thanks for the help

Matt Dickerson
03-21-08, 1:44 pm
recovery workouts.

Say you trained legs the day before. You can go in and do a sets of leg presses the day after with 20-30% of your working weight. Just do reps for 5 minutes or so. This will promote blood flow without breaking down the muscle further.

BrotherInArms
03-23-08, 11:42 pm
Stretch 4 times a day, get a full body sports massage, eat alot of good proteins and veggies, sleep well and drink water to flush out all of that acid from his system.

Seriously.

martylavender
04-16-08, 9:08 pm
When I do my sets of normally 10 reps, by the time I get to the 8th rep I am really pushing to finish out my whole set. At the time this leaves me feeling wasted and my arms are like rubber. They are swollen from, I am guessing, tearing and the muscles filling up with blood? I would think this would leave me soar the next day. I wake up the next day and I am not really soar.

For example.....

Incline leg press 3 sets 10 reps 310 lbs

While I am doing this it works me really hard. Today at work the only time I felt any soarness was walking down the stairs. Other then that I was perfectly fine.

Is this normal? Should I be pushing more weight? This also happens with my arms.

Any help or advice would be great. Thanks

Brew
04-16-08, 10:52 pm
IS this your entire leg routine or is this just a part of it? If this is all your doing to work your legs then your problem is right there. Im not a big guy by any means so it doesnt take much for my legs to get torn up for a few days but i would think ya gotta do more than one excercise

Zacharicus
04-16-08, 11:24 pm
I always get pretty soar the day after and most soar the 2nd day after working out a muscle group. I blasted legs yesterday, and almost fell down a couple of stairs because my legs kept failing as I was getting out of the gym. So I don't think I could have gone much harder yesterday without breaking something. Today though, I'm 'comfortably soar'. It's not comfortable sitting down, but that leads me to conclude I've done my job.

If I'm good and following my split and get enough food, rest and supps, I recover nicely without too much trouble. The few times I've been unfortunate to have a week off, I get pretty soar when I get back into it.

MANABOLIC
04-17-08, 7:43 am
he can go get some drugs that relax the muscles, or even take a shot or two. he can also do high rep/ very light weight sets to flush blood into the damaged area. hot showers and deep tissue massages will have him begging for mercy, if he can handle them.

martylavender
04-17-08, 8:34 am
No that is not my whole leg routine by any means

This is what my leg routine normally looks like

Incline Leg Press 3 x 100 - 310lbs
Calf Raises 2 x 12 - 90lbs
Seated Leg Curls 2 x 10 - 110lbs
Leg Extensions 3 x 10 - 100lbs
V Squats 1 x 5 - 145lbs / 2 x 5 - 215lbs
Abdominal Crunch Machine 3 x 20 - 40lbs

Would it benefit me to up the weight and lower the reps? Or up the weight and push as many reps out as I can?

HAWK
04-17-08, 8:36 am
Fellas, it's spelled SORE. The soreness isn't what will tell you that you had a good workout. Results will. To me, that is not enough sets for legs. Three sets per exercise is just not enough to me. No old school barbell squats? That's a main problem right there....

martylavender
04-17-08, 11:17 am
You are right...it is sore....my bad

NurseWaller
04-17-08, 12:16 pm
hell i even take torrent and right now i'm finishing up some purple wraath i had been using and i still get sore as shit...i used to think the same thing and wonder why i wasn't getting sore...then i realized i wasn't really hittin failure on everything..just sorta going through the motions..as long as you got good form keep uppin the weight man...ten reps is higher reps but not meant to be easy...but he's also right..if ur only doing three set of ten you need more of a work out...throw in some leg ext, ham curl, walkin lunge (my favorite), and whatever else..quickest way to add mass is through the legs

krypto
06-04-09, 5:21 am
whats up brothers, i have a question about soreness. before i used to get sore the next day after training a specific bodypart but now the soreness kicks in 2or even 3 days later. for example, monday at noon, i did shoulders. i slept a good 9-10hrs monday night/tuesday and i woke up as if i didnt even workout, no soreness. now its thursday morning at 5am and nowwww my shoulders are sore like shit so what gives? this started happening to me about a month ago and iv never experienced this before. any input? thanks

weedlewott
06-04-09, 6:57 am
happens bro. I don't know why, but it does. It does it to me too. I used to be sore as hell the next day, now it takes a few regardless of how hard I go. It's nothing to worry about though. Not too serious of an issue.

Littlefry
06-04-09, 12:51 pm
Its a delayed onset muscle soreness or DOMs for short, some people get it other dont. For example when I do legs I get DOMs like 1-2 days later after training. Its really nothing to worry about just means the micro-tears in the muscle fiber are rebuilding themselves, which equals muscle growth.

weedlewott
06-04-09, 1:25 pm
well there ya go krypto. at least we know we're not broken. Thank Littlefry. I was wondering what it was called. Just didn't think about google or anything like that. Good post.

Ghost26
06-04-09, 6:10 pm
yea bro i get em bad for some muscle groups espiacially chest and legs, man when i do legs, which i just started doing so this could be why, but ill only do 10 sets abbls to the walls, ill be sore for like 5 days, and same with chest but for my chest its my front delts im going to try to strengthten them up

shizz702
06-04-09, 7:34 pm
Yep, good ol' DOMS, it really isn't a big deal, and isn't the be all end all of your training, never rely on soreness to think you are progressing, even if you don't get sore at all it doesn't mean you aren't growing, it may just be an indication that your body is being conditioned to the stress.

BeastCook
06-04-09, 7:44 pm
whats up brothers, i have a question about soreness. before i used to get sore the next day after training a specific bodypart but now the soreness kicks in 2or even 3 days later. for example, monday at noon, i did shoulders. i slept a good 9-10hrs monday night/tuesday and i woke up as if i didnt even workout, no soreness. now its thursday morning at 5am and nowwww my shoulders are sore like shit so what gives? this started happening to me about a month ago and iv never experienced this before. any input? thanks

happens to me alot bro

Gio71
08-04-09, 7:41 pm
Yo Brothers, since i've trained legs on friday the soreness dont get away its about 4 days now, when i go the steps down i go like a grandma , i dont know what to do, i've never had a soreness like this in the legs.

whosnexttt
08-04-09, 8:01 pm
Yo Brothers, since i've trained legs on friday the soreness dont get away its about 4 days now, when i go the steps down i go like a grandma , i dont know what to do, i've never had a soreness like this in the legs.

LOL WELCOME TO BODYBUILDING BRO!!!!!! Nah thats normal man, sometimes my arms are sore for a complete week, its normal dont worry, as you keep training them week by week the soreness will be suppressed and you wont be as sore anymore.

Just wonderin, what exercises did you do for legs? And is this your first time training legs?

N. Motta
08-04-09, 8:06 pm
LOL WELCOME TO BODYBUILDING BRO!!!!!!

Hahaha. Well spoken.

The pain, learn to love it.

If I do not achieve a ridiculous level of soreness after leg day, it upsets me greatly.

shizz702
08-04-09, 8:06 pm
Maybe you need to cut back on the volume a bit.

What's your leg routine?

While some soreness is normal, and even can be a good indicator of progress at times, it isn't good to have nagging DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) for that long.

whosnexttt
08-04-09, 8:15 pm
Hahaha. Well spoken.

The pain, learn to love it.

If I do not achieve a ridiculous level of soreness after leg day, it upsets me greatly.

For reals, waking up in the morning knowing you just went through hell and you feel no soreness is like....WTF? lol

Gio71
08-04-09, 8:37 pm
Maybe you need to cut back on the volume a bit.

What's your leg routine?

While some soreness is normal, and even can be a good indicator of progress at times, it isn't good to have nagging DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) for that long.

squats 5x12
hack squats 4x12-15
leg press 3x 10
leg curls 3x10

i just came back from holidays 1 month, i have soreness on every bodypart thats notthe problem , but this time its terrible in the legs and in 2 days i musdt train legs again what if the soreness dont go away

shizz702
08-04-09, 8:42 pm
Drop the hack squats, and the leg press.

Train your squats at full intensity, give those, and those only everything you got instead of doing those, the leg press, and hacks.

Hit the leg curls to balance out your leg training to hit the hams, and finish things off with some calf work.

Even if you are still sore (unless your body is seriously telling you to take a day off) you should hit them again and stay on schedule. By doing that you will actually increase recover cause you'll be pumping blood back into the leg muscles forcing nutrients into them.

Litty-T
08-04-09, 8:46 pm
HAHAHA...You'll learn to love it man.

Littlefry
08-04-09, 9:16 pm
Even if you are still sore (unless your body is seriously telling you to take a day off) you should hit them again and stay on schedule. By doing that you will actually increase recover cause you'll be pumping blood back into the leg muscles forcing nutrients into them.

Exactly. My new routine calls for box squatting 3x a week. I could hardly walk after the first week, but I pushed through to the next workout. Eventually your body will adapt to the DOMS and the soreness should slowly taper off.

prowrestler
08-04-09, 9:50 pm
eat more
ice bath
grow a pair

basicaly all there is to it

LegendKillerJosh
08-04-09, 10:40 pm
I think soreness that far after a workout is not a good sign. It means you trained too much to effectively recover from. You just want to stimulate in the gym and then rest and grow, not blast yourself so hard you can't recover.

Firefist
08-04-09, 10:46 pm
not gonna lie, i LOVE LOVE LOVE it when my legs are sore. Every chance i get, ill lie down and stretch them out just to feel the soreness in my quads and ass. and when its gone, im just itching for another leg day to feel the soreness again. it just hurts so good....haha.

t_mh
08-05-09, 12:03 am
If you've just come back from a long break or stepped up the intensity significantly, it's perfectly reasonable. Sometimes my legs don't get sore until 2 days after and then remain that way for another.

N. Motta
08-05-09, 2:00 am
grow a pair

/end thread.

sanga
08-05-09, 3:07 am

Strive for this problem every workout and you`ll grow, lol

theharjmann
08-05-09, 3:26 am
eat more
ice bath
grow a pair

basicaly all there is to it

x2

BubbyLight
08-05-09, 7:16 am
YES. nice job bro. you know u hit ur legs right when this happens. now just give them rest and dont hit them to early so they can heal. then the next time. go harder

Gio71
08-05-09, 8:04 am
Strive for this problem every workout and you`ll grow, lol

yeah i have soreness after every workout in the week,otherwise i think the workout was shit..but the maximum days was 3 .. now its the 5 day and the legs wont stop to hurt haha

Littlefry
08-05-09, 1:21 pm
Pain is just part of growth sometimes. Eventually your body will adpat and the pain/soreness should subside.

Ir0nClad
08-07-09, 12:55 am
Soreness is not an indicator of progress, adding some god damn weight to the bar is.