PDA

View Full Version : HIIT or LISS or hybrid of both for fat loss while maintaining lean mass

NJC_Manhattan
12-28-11, 12:29 pm
Gents,

I know we have covered the topic of cutting while maintaining lean mass ad nauseum, but I wanted a little advice. Let's assume my diet is completely in line (which it has, and will be again after New Year's).

I'm 6 feet, about 190, and 12-13% bodyfat. I wanna get a little weird and drop into the 5-7% bodyfat range. I plan on dropping cals 5-10% below maintenance. I also plan on doing intermittent fasting (only eating between 1-8pm) every other day. All other days will do 5-6 small meals. Will also have one day that spikes carb macros and drops protein.

My question, however, isn't about diet nor lifting, its about cardio. I know cardio is a sure fire way to lose weight, but as we all know gaining/losing weight is easy, but gaining/losing the right kind of weight is incredibly difficult.

I've been hearing a lot of HIIT and LISS and wanted to get your thoughts on which are more effective to lean out. I'm guessing a combination of both would be smart idea, but perhaps I'm misreading. Thanks in advance.

C.Coronato
12-28-11, 12:33 pm
I have done both, and to be honest i have great results from both lol. I didnt like HIIT simply because it my body would hurt physically after, knees, ankles, shins, ect. LISS is what I usually stick with now.

Carrnage
12-28-11, 4:45 pm
I have done both, and to be honest i have great results from both lol. I didnt like HIIT simply because it my body would hurt physically after, knees, ankles, shins, ect. LISS is what I usually stick with now.

Really? Maybe you were not warmed up enough? I love HIIT! I fall asleep doing liss lol.

Carrnage
12-28-11, 4:45 pm
Gents,

I know we have covered the topic of cutting while maintaining lean mass ad nauseum, but I wanted a little advice. Let's assume my diet is completely in line (which it has, and will be again after New Year's).

I'm 6 feet, about 190, and 12-13% bodyfat. I wanna get a little weird and drop into the 5-7% bodyfat range. I plan on dropping cals 5-10% below maintenance. I also plan on doing intermittent fasting (only eating between 1-8pm) every other day. All other days will do 5-6 small meals. Will also have one day that spikes carb macros and drops protein.

My question, however, isn't about diet nor lifting, its about cardio. I know cardio is a sure fire way to lose weight, but as we all know gaining/losing weight is easy, but gaining/losing the right kind of weight is incredibly difficult.

I've been hearing a lot of HIIT and LISS and wanted to get your thoughts on which are more effective to lean out. I'm guessing a combination of both would be smart idea, but perhaps I'm misreading. Thanks in advance.

I'd go with the HIIT, theres so much benefits not just to muscle growth or fat loss, but overall health from the inside aswell!

Back To Basics
12-28-11, 5:51 pm
I think both have their advantages and disadvantages depending on how your feeling and where your weight is at, I think you should use both - LISS when your feeling depleted and destroyed, HIIT when your feeling like you can push it harder.

NJC_Manhattan
12-28-11, 8:02 pm
Thanks guys. I'll keep all this in mind