PDA

View Full Version : Growing Nonstop!! (negatives)

Carrnage
01-01-12, 7:37 pm
For a 100-140 percent of a 1rm negative, How many of you use them? And for what exercises?

I just started my offseason a little over 2 weeks ago, I started out at a very very lean 241 and 2 weeks later I am 253 and a lower bodyfat! (been doing HIIT cardio 3-6 times a week)

Ive always empha-"sized" (haha get it? sized!) the negative portion of the rep with atleast a 2-3 second negative, but this time around im going around 5 seconds on the negative and ive never gained so much muscle so quickly. Not to mention strength. I feel being "negative" about my training is whats giving me these rapid gains lately, thats the only thing different ive been doing lately.

What exercises do you guys feel is safe for doing 100-140 percent of 1rm negatives? For each bodypart! Ive been doing a mixture of sarcoplasm and high intensity heavy progressive low volume, but now im adding both styles into one workout. Ive never done that consistantly, and I can honestly say im so excited about growing again!! In a thread I remember that Vinnie G was talking about how hes not training for a weight class anymore so hes more "free" in what he wants to do, and said he is enjoying this again! Inspiration! Thats how I feel right now!

So if you have some "negative" techniques please share em, as im somewhat new to this!

For those of you out there that wonder why heavy negatives work so good heres a few scientific benefits!

-much greater secretion in GH / Testosterone / IGF-1 during and hours after the workout

-your muscles are filled with creatine, atp, calcium, glucose, glutamine, amino's, they get bigger as the muscle reaches more of a demand for those nutrients I listed, heavy negatives does just that

-strengthens up nervous system as it adapts to a never been felt poundage

And thats just a few, if you have any more benefits, name em!

Its 2012, lets have this a Growing Season, a non stop growing season, 24/7 of growing, no plateaus!

Joe J
01-08-12, 7:30 am
I've always emphasised the negative portion of the rep, aswell as the static, with a focus on the power of the positive section. (imagine a giant spring being compressed, and bursting back up when released)

Recently I've been using Mike Menzters theory of perfectly controlled positives, and 4 seconds hold on the static and negative portions. It's definitely been beneficial. Along with reducing my volume to 1 set to failure per exercise, sometimes with 1 warm up set, my workouts have been insane.

Joe.

Wrath91
01-08-12, 8:46 am
I'm starting new bulking season tomorrow so thanks for this will try it for sure!