PDA

View Full Version : Do you expect to be stronger every workout?

cgcgraded
01-02-12, 2:07 pm
Every time I train I expect to get atleast one more rep on the final set of each exercise, I get really upset when I do not achieve this. It feels like a lost week of potential growth. Do you guys share this mentality? Realistically, should I not expect to be stronger each workout?

Lifting_Is_Life
01-02-12, 2:45 pm
Every time I train I expect to get atleast one more rep on the final set of each exercise, I get really upset when I do not achieve this. It feels like a lost week of potential growth. Do you guys share this mentality? Realistically, should I not expect to be stronger each workout?

Realistically, no you should not expect to be stronger every single workout. That's VERY positive thinking, but a mad mans dream at best. The mentality I like just to make you push yourself, but definitely don't beat yourself up over it if you can't push that last rep!

rocky36
01-02-12, 6:34 pm
after awile it wont happen every single time, but in your mind yes, you should want that extra rep or pound. This sport takes years to get where we all want to go, so dont beat yourself up when it doesnt happen

Polk17
01-02-12, 9:01 pm
It's a two way street, you should expect and strive to be stronger each and every workout, and attack it accordingly... But there is NO way that happens each week, provided you're training heavy enough... So in short, expect a lot out of yourself, but cut yourself some slack, everyone has off days...

pushin weight
01-03-12, 1:40 pm
Its a great focal point for any workout and i like to try to beat my self every week in some way, even if it means dropping the weight and going into a flop sweat just to advance my intensity.

Brick By Brick
01-03-12, 2:31 pm
No. My PR on one day is often different than my PR on another day. I try to do better in prehab/rehab/diet/training, at least one of these areas, every day. Logical training, supplementation/diet, prehab/rehab have been the key to my success. Strength can be measured in many different ways, but IMO longevity is the best path.

Wrath91
01-05-12, 2:20 pm
When you do few weeks of heavy training , take a week of light training week or week off so you body heal , and after that week you will do much better progress because you body need rest.Remember , rest is important part of weight training , rest is when your muscles grow.

JasonG
01-05-12, 2:28 pm
You should fight for another rep every workout or go up in weight. Nobody seems to use the 2.5 plates. Why? If your not forcing an adaption to take place then why would your muscles get stronger or bigger? I know this can't always happen, but if I get stuck without any progression for some time then I know it's time to change something. I'll change out the exercise with something else, more food, something. You also need to know when to listen to your body and throttle back for awhile and recharge.