PDA

View Full Version : powerlifting question

pushin weight
01-04-12, 10:51 am
as i get more into powerlifting im wondering about a few things. what represents a raw lift..by that i mean can you use a belt and still consider that a raw lift.Currently the only thing i use is a belt,ive seen guys use a belt and call it raw but i thought raw was raw....using nothing at all to assist the lift. any info is appreciated, thanks

Ps looking to do my first meet this year, possibly around march if i can get my numbers write by then.

Nix0r
01-04-12, 10:55 am
It ultimately comes down to the federation you're lifting in. Some consider raw belt/wraps, while others don't allow any supportive equipment.

pushin weight
01-04-12, 12:18 pm
It ultimately comes down to the federation you're lifting in. Some consider raw belt/wraps, while others don't allow any supportive equipment.

i see thanks

xrealityapproachesx
01-04-12, 3:26 pm
If I were you, I wouldn't use a belt too much regardless. The more you train without it, the easier it will be when you finally do put it on! I try to hold off on the belt until the last set of the day if i'm going real heavy. Other than that, I avoid it.

pushin weight
01-04-12, 4:31 pm
If I were you, I wouldn't use a belt too much regardless. The more you train without it, the easier it will be when you finally do put it on! I try to hold off on the belt until the last set of the day if i'm going real heavy. Other than that, I avoid it.

Agreed, i only use my belt when i get around 90 percent of my 1rm.

xrealityapproachesx
01-04-12, 11:11 pm
Perfect! I hate seeing people completely rely on the belt. Its nice to have, but not everything.

BigChrisF
01-05-12, 4:28 am
as i get more into powerlifting im wondering about a few things. what represents a raw lift..by that i mean can you use a belt and still consider that a raw lift.Currently the only thing i use is a belt,ive seen guys use a belt and call it raw but i thought raw was raw....using nothing at all to assist the lift. any info is appreciated, thanks

Ps looking to do my first meet this year, possibly around march if i can get my numbers write by then.

Realistically, the best way to define it is by the rules of the fed you want to compete with. If you feel a certain standard is right, then find the fed that best matches that.

As for the belt, don't neglect it too much. It is for safety and there is more to using it properly than strapping it on and lifting. Learning any piece of gear is key to maximizing its use.

Wrath91
01-05-12, 8:24 am

I agree with xrealityapproachesx , just use belt when you really need it to prevent injury and to be safe for example on your last set as you said,because it's extreme to go without it on deadlift for example.
Good luck in march I hope you break your pr.
Keep the good work,brother!

pushin weight
01-05-12, 11:48 am
Realistically, the best way to define it is by the rules of the fed you want to compete with. If you feel a certain standard is right, then find the fed that best matches that.

As for the belt, don't neglect it too much. It is for safety and there is more to using it properly than strapping it on and lifting. Learning any piece of gear is key to maximizing its use.

I agree with you chris, ive been focusing on utilizing the intra -abdominal pressure that the belt creates to assist in my heavy work, also i like it as a safety net to protect me from injury

Big D
01-05-12, 12:20 pm
In any fed I can think of a belt is still considered raw.