PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed regarding incline flyes.

Tomuel
01-10-12, 2:00 am
I'm having a shoulder issue on my incline flyes. Its only my left shoulder so I wouldn't think it was an incorrect form issue or it would be happening to both shoulders right? Anyways, on the negative, about halfway down, my left shoulder pops and its very painful. This is the only exercise I have this issue with. Never had any shoulder injuries either. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

Dave TapouT
01-10-12, 4:40 am
I'm having a shoulder issue on my incline flyes. Its only my left shoulder so I wouldn't think it was an incorrect form issue or it would be happening to both shoulders right? Anyways, on the negative, about halfway down, my left shoulder pops and its very painful. This is the only exercise I have this issue with. Never had any shoulder injuries either. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

If I do certain exercises with dumbells, most notibly incline press, and shoulder press... If I let my elbows come up and put more pressure on my shoulders... my right shoulder will pop and I'll drop the weight, but If I keep my elbows right, I can go till failure without worry of it popping or being painful. I wouldn't cross out form as a possible canidate... I would however say make sure the weight is above the chest and not above your face. I am no pro... hopefully someone more experienced than myself can help... but form could be the underlying issue

Dave TapouT
01-10-12, 4:41 am
And BTW Welcome to the Forvms brother

Back To Basics
01-10-12, 4:43 am
Hmm, it could be a tightness within the muscles - does the muscle pop or is it more in the joint itself?

I would stop the incline fly's and start stretching that specific area twice per day - morning and night.
4 sets of stretching - Hold for 30 seconds and gradually intensify the stretch on the front delt.

Don't fly for 2 weeks and than go back to it and see if it gets any better - I don't think it's a muscle sprain because it most likely wouldn't pop. Take it easy, you don't want to tear some shit up in there.
Also, are you taking in fish oils?

Wrath91
01-10-12, 4:43 am

I think you better back off from incline flyes if you are having shoulder problems with only that exercise.There is no use in doing incline flyes if you are having problems while doing it , because you can get injured and since your shoulder hurt while doing it means your shoulders are taking on the flyes and not your chest so focus on some other exercise for that body part.For example try to do cable flyes or set incline bench next to some cable machine and try it there...always change up,but don't do it if it hurts you,because only thing you will get like that is unjury.

Tomuel
01-10-12, 4:48 am
And BTW Welcome to the Forvms brother

Thanks bro. Absolutely love this forum with so much helpful information and like minded people such as yourself. Appreciate the reply, so is what you're saying is be careful to keep my elbows tucked in?

B.C.
01-10-12, 4:50 am
I think you better back off from incline flyes if you are having shoulder problems with only that exercise.There is no use in doing incline flyes if you are having problems while doing it , because you can get injured and since your shoulder hurt while doing it means your shoulders are taking on the flyes and not your chest so focus on some other exercise for that body part.For example try to do cable flyes or set incline bench next to some cable machine and try it there...always change up,but don't do it if it hurts you,because only thing you will get like that is unjury.

This is a good point. I don't do DB flyes cuz I can never seem to find the right groove to hit the muscle where I want to, but if I do cables it works just fine. Don't keep doing a movement that isn't effective for you just because you think you should, especially an isolation movement like flyes. It just isn't worth risking injury over.

Tomuel
01-10-12, 4:53 am
Hmm, it could be a tightness within the muscles - does the muscle pop or is it more in the joint itself?

I would stop the incline fly's and start stretching that specific area twice per day - morning and night.
4 sets of stretching - Hold for 30 seconds and gradually intensify the stretch on the front delt.

Don't fly for 2 weeks and than go back to it and see if it gets any better - I don't think it's a muscle sprain because it most likely wouldn't pop. Take it easy, you don't want to tear some shit up in there.
Also, are you taking in fish oils?

Its definitely in the joint. Almost feels like a snag in my shoulder. And I'm not currently taking fish oil.. I got away from flyes about a month ago when I first noticed it. I gave it another go today after the break and it appears to still be there.

Tomuel
01-10-12, 4:56 am
This is a good point. I don't do DB flyes cuz I can never seem to find the right groove to hit the muscle where I want to, but if I do cables it works just fine. Don't keep doing a movement that isn't effective for you just because you think you should, especially an isolation movement like flyes. It just isn't worth risking injury over.

I agree. Its not worth the possible injury. I'll give the cable flyes a try next week and see how that works out. Thanks all for the quick replies and advice.

B.C.
01-10-12, 5:00 am
I agree. Its not worth the possible injury. I'll give the cable flyes a try next week and see how that works out. Thanks all for the quick replies and advice.

Yep! Happy training my man.

Dave TapouT
01-10-12, 5:02 am
I used to get slaughtered by flys. They used to kill my wrists and my right shoulder. I randomly bought all of Franks Animal DVDs, and the chest one I was watching, when I saw how he did his flys... my next trip to the gym, I incorperated his arm movement and positioning... blam. no more problems. I thought my form was perfect for how hard it was blasting my pecks... now... I blast em as intensely as I desire. I'd deff go with Back2Basics advice. I've seen him around a lot with great info.

It could be from the positioning of your arms though. For it, I'd deff reccomend what everyones saying really... or try slightly adjusting the path your arms take on the lift... with lighter weight, until you find where you can hit your pecks without the pain or popping... if you cant do it without the pain or pops. deff use a different exercise for the pecks as mentioned.

Wrath91
01-10-12, 12:29 pm

I'm glad you understood my point,and just keep doing flyes on something else,as you said cables do good for you , so keep doing them and change them with something that fits you.Maybe when your body get use to that exercise maybe you won't feel anymore pain in your shoulder when you do incline flyes,so just try to stay away from potential injurys and even if you are not able to them incline flyes later,who give a fuck,if cable give you result you want , you are all good my friend .
Keep pumping bro and good luck!

Carrnage
01-10-12, 6:22 pm

1)Your going too heavy

2)On the negative slightly rotate your hands externally so your palms should be "slightly" up

3)As you contract your pecs on the positive, lockout your arms while internally rotating your hands so palms are facing each other, and do not bring the dumbbells togethere, if your arms are locked out as your contracting your pecs their should be around 8-12 inches of space between the dumbbells.

^^^^ Biomachanically fully lenthening and shortening the pec! ^^^^^ (crazy stretch and contraction if your doing what I listed)

4)For your structure, just go down until you feel a slight stretch, thats your indication to go back up

5)Everyone's structure is different, modifiy your range of motion until it feels comfortable.

Are you going below ear height on shoulder presses?

Are your hands going past shoulder height during laterals?

Are you controlling the negative on your chest pressing movements for a good 3-5 seconds?

Carrnage
01-10-12, 6:24 pm
1)Your going too heavy

2)On the negative slightly rotate your hands externally so your palms should be "slightly" up

3)As you contract your pecs on the positive, lockout your arms while internally rotating your hands so palms are facing each other, and do not bring the dumbbells togethere, if your arms are locked out as your contracting your pecs their should be around 8-12 inches of space between the dumbbells.

^^^^ Biomachanically fully lenthening and shortening the pec! ^^^^^ (crazy stretch and contraction if your doing what I listed)

4)For your structure, just go down until you feel a slight stretch, thats your indication to go back up

5)Everyone's structure is different, modifiy your range of motion until it feels comfortable.

Are you controlling the negative on your chest pressing movements for a good 3-5 seconds?

Oh and when I learned number 3, man what a fucking pump....lol Seriously. Oh and try this on a pec deck! Sit low for upper pecs. Sit high for pectoral major.

Just had to throw that out there

Tomuel
01-10-12, 6:43 pm
1)Your going too heavy

I'm going below ear level on my presses, and past shoulder level on laterals, but I'm going to have to say no on controlling my chest pressing negatives for that long.

Carrnage
01-10-12, 7:04 pm
I'm going below ear level on my presses, and past shoulder level on laterals, but I'm going to have to say no on controlling my chest pressing negatives for that long.

Alright, stop going below ear level on presses, as that usually puts our rotator cuff in a un-natural position. = injuries

Same thing with the laterals, stop when your hands on leveled with your lower pecs.

Sprint
01-10-12, 7:18 pm
Alright, stop going below ear level on presses, as that usually puts our rotator cuff in a un-natural position. = injuries

Same thing with the laterals, stop when your hands on leveled with your lower pecs.

This. Stopping at parallel with lateral raises will hit your shoulders much harder too. Too many folk look like trussed up turkeys trying to take off by flapping their arms around all over the shop.

Keep it strict & controlled, less chance of injury, better pump, more growth. Win-win-win situation.

Tomuel
01-10-12, 7:19 pm

Ill give that a shot and see how utter it works out. Should I go back to incorporating that exercise in my routine again or should I take a break from it while I do what you suggested

Carrnage
01-10-12, 10:24 pm
Ill give that a shot and see how utter it works out. Should I go back to incorporating that exercise in my routine again or should I take a break from it while I do what you suggested

Practice your technique. Don't worry about going to failure or near it until your doing the movement properly.