PDA

View Full Version : Do you care about sodium intake?

braves561
01-11-12, 8:25 pm
I figured that sodium shouldn't matter if one doesn't have high blood pressure and if they drink a lot of water Do you count your sodium intake for the day? I do not have high blood pressure, but my low blood pressure is actually on the pretty low side even dipping into the 100/45 range or so. I take an ACE inhibitor for my aortis stenosis in my heart, so that definitely contributes to it. Anywho, I'd like to see some other peoples responses. Thanks

korn_fed
01-11-12, 8:36 pm
I figured that sodium shouldn't matter if one doesn't have high blood pressure and if they drink a lot of water Do you count your sodium intake for the day? I do not have high blood pressure, but my low blood pressure is actually on the pretty low side even dipping into the 100/45 range or so. I take an ACE inhibitor for my aortis stenosis in my heart, so that definitely contributes to it. Anywho, I'd like to see some other peoples responses. Thanks

Im no expert on the topic, but as long as youre not adding extra sodium to every meal, I wouldnt really worry about it. Personally, I shy away from salt as much as possible, and the only sodium I take in is from the dry seasonings I put on my chicken.

Lifting_Is_Life
01-11-12, 8:57 pm
I really don't care how much sodium I take in. I drink plenty of water and really bust my ass in the gym so I see no need to as of right now

Back To Basics
01-11-12, 10:44 pm
Sodium is NOT BAD FOR YOU !

Sodium will do NOTHING but help you in your training, your pumps and your energy levels - sodium is beneficial to survive. Drop all sodium and watch your muscles deflate over night. TOO MUCH sodium is bad and honestly you can not unintentionally get too much sodium UNLESS you eat processed garbage in your diet and use multiple amounts of high sodium sauces every single day. You know who should worry about sodium? Average joes who eat a shit diet, do not drink not nearly enough water, do not exercise and do not eat multiple meals per day. If your meals are too salty, your obviously taking in too much sodium - there's a reason we have taste buds. Listen to your body.

BigChrisF
01-12-12, 4:49 am
With various forms of sodium being common in preservatives it is easy to take in a monstrous amount of sodium without anything tasting salty. Some people do put forth extraordinary effort to get only fresh and unpreserved foods, but beyond that most people, even the healthy ones, will take in a lot of sodium in a day.

BigChrisF
01-12-12, 4:50 am
Also, no I don't monitor my sodium intake. Although after reading a lot of packages, I can usually give a reasonable estimate as to how much I'm taking in.

violator
01-12-12, 7:03 am

Sodium will do NOTHING but help you in your training, your pumps and your energy levels - sodium is beneficial to survive. Drop all sodium and watch your muscles deflate over night. TOO MUCH sodium is bad and honestly you can not unintentionally get too much sodium UNLESS you eat processed garbage in your diet and use multiple amounts of high sodium sauces every single day. You know who should worry about sodium? Average joes who eat a shit diet, do not drink not nearly enough water, do not exercise and do not eat multiple meals per day. If your meals are too salty, your obviously taking in too much sodium - there's a reason we have taste buds. Listen to your body.

quality post bro...

offseason i dont care about sodium intake, dieting i have 1/4 tsp with my pre & post meal.... ur right, throw out sodium and u go flat as a pancake...

Aggression
01-12-12, 8:28 am
When bodybuilding, I don't worry about it in the offseason. During prep, I'll remove certain sauces and shit. The sodium found naturally in my diet is something I won't worry about until I get real deep into prep. Then I'll start switching out foods, etc.

When powerlifting, I increase my sodium intake. I'll start adding sodium to almost every meal; sauces, sea-salt, and more cheats. Gotta be big, strong, and have the energy to lift big weight on a nightly basis.

adidas
01-12-12, 10:40 am

THIS ^

So short answer is no I don't watch my sodium intake...although I do watch what sor of sodium I take in. As in I don't do a lot of Nitrates found in shitty bacons, lunch meat of sausages...I will eat the hell out of some nitrate free bacon though!

C.Coronato
01-12-12, 4:34 pm
If you are eating your own meals that you are making (fresh chicken, veg, potatoes, ect) and nothing comes from a bag or pre made, then you have nothing to worry about. Adding in some sauces and or salt will actually benefit you. However, if you are eating pre made meals, or going out to eat at chain restaurants often, chances are you are having entirely too much sodium.