PDA

View Full Version : Who Does LEGS?

Shukin
01-21-12, 10:38 am
I have been thinking about starting this tread for a few days now, I want to get everyones opinion on this subject..I just changed gyms last week, I was at the gym before for 4 months (10 blocks away from each other). The entire time I was at Gym 1 I NEVER saw anyone do legs! There were at least 4 other guys who worked out there on a very regular basis, our paths crossed many many times, but I NEVER saw them do legs! These guys all had decent upper bodies, legs, I don't know, but I was the only one who Squatted!!!!! The funny thing is it took me like 3.5 months before it dawned on me that these guys are 'always' doing upper body! Further more, the restrooms were near the squat rack and leg press machine, when I was doing legs, NO ONE ever had to use the toilet! Coincidence? I think not!
At this new gym it's too soon to tell.......Legs, who does em?

Respect,
Shukin

widdlewade44
01-21-12, 10:48 am
and have for 30 years now. Great post brother, peace.

Kevin
widdlewade44

Bruiser
01-21-12, 11:04 am
You know the history with my lower back. I always felt guilty that I didn't train legs or back. Now that I'm able to, I LOVE squat and deadlift day!

Machine
01-21-12, 11:14 am
I have been thinking about starting this tread for a few days now, I want to get everyones opinion on this subject..I just changed gyms last week, I was at the gym before for 4 months (10 blocks away from each other). The entire time I was at Gym 1 I NEVER saw anyone do legs! There were at least 4 other guys who worked out there on a very regular basis, our paths crossed many many times, but I NEVER saw them do legs! These guys all had decent upper bodies, legs, I don't know, but I was the only one who Squatted!!!!! The funny thing is it took me like 3.5 months before it dawned on me that these guys are 'always' doing upper body! Further more, the restrooms were near the squat rack and leg press machine, when I was doing legs, NO ONE ever had to use the toilet! Coincidence? I think not!
At this new gym it's too soon to tell.......Legs, who does em?

Respect,
Shukin

Train you lower body proudly and don't just be pleased with squats and leg presses - run the table. Attack stiff legged deadlifts like they attack the bench press; attack lying dumbell leg curls with the same ferocity that they use for barbell curls, train your calves with anger and intensity...perform from squats, barbell hack squats, all manner of lunges...fuckem up...killem...rape their dogs...burn their fucking houses down...

oh sorry...got a little carried away there...but you get the point right?

MACHINE

Loomis
01-21-12, 11:23 am
I love leg day! Nothing hurts so good as a killer leg day.

Shukin
01-21-12, 11:53 am
Train you lower body proudly and don't just be pleased with squats and leg presses - run the table. Attack stiff legged deadlifts like they attack the bench press; attack lying dumbell leg curls with the same ferocity that they use for barbell curls, train your calves with anger and intensity...perform from squats, barbell hack squats, all manner of lunges...fuckem up...killem...rape their dogs...burn their fucking houses down...

MACHINE

That's going on my wall!

Loomis
01-21-12, 12:18 pm

MACHINE

Post of the god damn week right there!

LittleMan
01-21-12, 12:43 pm
BAHAHAHAHAHA....

I Love this place.....

Oh, by the way...

Saturdays = Shoulders & LEGS

I just got back from the Gym. Sipping on Torrent Zero now...

Littleman

IronWilson
01-21-12, 1:08 pm
I don't think "training legs" is necessary.

If you do them right, curls and bench presses will hit your legs too. Thats all you need. Curls and goat milk will put the weight on you like no other.

Cellardweller
01-21-12, 2:57 pm
I don't think "training legs" is necessary.

If you do them right, curls and bench presses will hit your legs too. Thats all you need. Curls and goat milk will put the weight on you like no other.

This must be why people curl in the squat rack.

Brick By Brick
01-21-12, 3:13 pm
You won't win jack shit in strongman without doing squats and DLs on a regular basis.

B.S.
01-21-12, 4:26 pm
i fucking love doing legs... who doesnt?

BigChrisF
01-22-12, 3:40 am
This must be why people curl in the squat rack.

What are you doing squatting in the curl rack?

Wrath91
01-22-12, 5:30 am

MACHINE

Agree totally,I fukin' love doing legs they are my favourite body part to train because of exhaustion after them...
Unless you puke,faint or die...Keep going bro!

MRmichael.hooker
01-22-12, 6:17 am
What are you doing squatting in the curl rack?

thats what i thought. I've just been embarassed all this time doing squats in everyones curl rack. As far as doing legs or no, ABSO-FUCKING-LUTELY. Not only are there tons of hormones in your glutes dieing to be released, legs fucking hurt like nothing else. The whole reason i ever started wanting to do legs, is because noone else at my gym was. Rapeing dogs and burning houses down is the only way to go

Cranky
01-22-12, 8:18 am
Used to do the bare minimum for legs, just the basics. A month ago I switched gyms myself and found machines Ive never used before, like a hack squat. Now I love training legs... hacks, seated calf, facing the opposite way on the hack and doing standing calves. Good shit.
BTW Shukin, maybee your old gym had bad ventilation and thats why noone used the shithouse when you were working wheels. People must not of wanted to be that guy who left a lingering steamer in the can, stinking up the joint! Or you might have been in the Twilight Zone, where noone trained legs or had an anus? Glad to hear your in a safe place now.

Sandman
01-22-12, 4:27 pm
I have two pieces of equipment in the little gym I built. One is a squat rack that I can bench in also. The other is a leg press/hack squat. That's should tell u how I feel about training legs.

smoothballer
01-24-12, 8:38 am
Twice a week. DE and ME Days baby!

NJC_Manhattan
01-24-12, 11:47 am
I don't understand how one cannot do legs. Quads are responsible for thigh extension and are so important regarding symmetry. Hamstrings regulate flexing at the knee joint and are vitally important to any athlete that values running. Calves are composed of the gastrocnemius and the soleus, and they are responsible for elevating your heel as well as flexing your knee. Developing these muscles is paramount to bodybuilding and health in general.

Furthermore, lets not forget how this translates into other areas of the body; core, and increase strength in your entire body. Not to mention, I cannot think of a more testosterone pumping, HGH raising, fat burning exercise than Squats (Probably, followed by Deadlifts).

And to point out the obvious.... Don't be 'beach workout guy' that only does chest/arms/core. That guy looks ridiculous. Don't know why people neglect legs and back, but it happens.

My personal opinion, I like leg day, especially calf workouts. I get my best burn on leg day. If you want to try something new, go for the following. This one leaves me in tears sometimes.

Warm up

Super set #1
Front squats x 10 (50% of max)
Leg press x 15 (50% of max)
1 min rest
Front squats x 8 (70% of max)
Leg press x 20 (30% of max
1 min rest
Front squats x 4 (as heavy as you can go without break form)
Leg press til failure (20% of max)

Super set #2
Lunges x 10 each leg (70% of max)
Box jumps x 10
45 secs rest
Lunges x 10 each leg (50% of max)
Box jumps x 15
45 secs rest
Lunges x 10 each leg (30% of max)
Box jumps x 20

Super set #3
Do this 3 times (1 min rest)
Single leg, leg extensions x 20 each leg (weight to preference)
Single leg, lying leg curl x 20 each leg (weight to preference)

Super set #4
Does this 3 times (30 secs rest)
Seated calf raises x 20 (heavy as you can go without breaking form and getting 20 reps)
Standing calf raises x 10 (heavy as you can go without breaking form and getting 10 reps)
2 mins jump rope (stay on your toes and lift with the calf)

Just a suggestion if you're looking to make leg day interesting.

NJC_Manhattan
01-24-12, 12:17 pm
I don't understand how one cannot do legs. Quads are responsible for thigh extension and are so important regarding symmetry. Hamstrings regulate flexing at the knee joint and are vitally important to any athlete that values running. Calves are composed of the gastrocnemius and the soleus, and they are responsible for elevating your heel as well as flexing your knee. Developing these muscles is paramount to bodybuilding and health in general.

Furthermore, lets not forget how this translates into other areas of the body; core, and increase strength in your entire body. Not to mention, I cannot think of a more testosterone pumping, HGH raising, fat burning exercise than Squats (Probably, followed by Deadlifts).

And to point out the obvious.... Don't be 'beach workout guy' that only does chest/arms/core. That guy looks ridiculous. Don't know why people neglect legs and back, but it happens.

My personal opinion, I like leg day, especially calf workouts. I get my best burn on leg day. If you want to try something new, go for the following. This one leaves me in tears sometimes.

Warm up

Super set #1
Front squats x 10 (50% of max)
Leg press x 15 (50% of max)
1 min rest
Front squats x 8 (70% of max)
Leg press x 20 (30% of max
1 min rest
Front squats x 4 (as heavy as you can go without break form)
Leg press til failure (20% of max)

Super set #2
Lunges x 10 each leg (70% of max)
Box jumps x 10
45 secs rest
Lunges x 10 each leg (50% of max)
Box jumps x 15
45 secs rest
Lunges x 10 each leg (30% of max)
Box jumps x 20

Super set #3
Do this 3 times (1 min rest)
Single leg, leg extensions x 20 each leg (weight to preference)
Single leg, lying leg curl x 20 each leg (weight to preference)

Super set #4
Does this 3 times (30 secs rest)
Seated calf raises x 20 (heavy as you can go without breaking form and getting 20 reps)
Standing calf raises x 10 (heavy as you can go without breaking form and getting 10 reps)
2 mins jump rope (stay on your toes and lift with the calf)

Just a suggestion if you're looking to make leg day interesting.

Did this go through? I saw the Forvm hiccuped there for a second

Big Joe
01-24-12, 2:32 pm
My gym is also full of pussies who do not lift legs, it used to piss me off but now I just quietly laugh to myself. If you dont train legs, you will not get big or strong and you will look like shit. Read Machine's life is a freakshow August 30 entry and do this, fuckin love this workout.

Kowboy
01-24-12, 2:39 pm
I would say that it is the same people at the gym for the most part and if I do see someone do legs it is typically a very half assed attempt at the leg press. They throw on 8 pps and bring it half way down and push it up. But I agree that most of the people never do squats or legs. A lot of the guys do bench press and curls every couple days.

C.Coronato
01-24-12, 2:42 pm
Friday night Leg training is always on the menu. Been that way for months now.

Christman
01-24-12, 3:32 pm
Legs tonight!

Aggression
01-24-12, 4:12 pm
My leg day was always on Monday when in college. Everyone was fighting over the bench presses and the benches near the dumbbell rack. I always had free range of the power rack, leg press, and all other leg equipment.

D-NUTZ
01-24-12, 4:27 pm
My leg day was always on Monday when in college. Everyone was fighting over the bench presses and the benches near the dumbbell rack. I always had free range of the power rack, leg press, and all other leg equipment.

That doesn't work at my college haha. Everyone benches in the squat racks here.

gerrrfreak61
01-24-12, 5:56 pm
That doesn't work at my college haha. Everyone benches in the squat racks here.

Same at my college, 3 power racks along the wall with no other benches or squat racks and barely anyone dumbbell presses even though there's several adjustable benches and plenty of dumbbells. I start off my training cycle on monday with legs. Whenever someone wants to train with me, I always train legs with them first, that's how I find out if I'm wasting my time or not. Funny how sometimes they don't even show up for the first session.

TigerAce01
01-24-12, 6:26 pm
The reason no one wants to squat is because it's fucking hard...no doubt. It takes balls to squat heavy and keep getting better...not many actually want to compete in bodybuilding/powerlifting/strongman, so they don't have much of a purpose in doing them. But what's wrong with that? They are paying their monthly fees just like anyone else...as long as they aren't harming anyone or getting in your way, who the fuck cares? If you have time enough to notice people are only doing curls...maybe you need to focus more and throw some plates on the bar!!!

-Ace

Come_fly_with_me
01-24-12, 6:36 pm
i fucking love doing legs... who doesnt?

Best post ever.

D-NUTZ
01-24-12, 8:22 pm
Same at my college, 3 power racks along the wall with no other benches or squat racks and barely anyone dumbbell presses even though there's several adjustable benches and plenty of dumbbells. I start off my training cycle on monday with legs. Whenever someone wants to train with me, I always train legs with them first, that's how I find out if I'm wasting my time or not. Funny how sometimes they don't even show up for the first session.

No no, we have benches and what-not, but people choose to press in the squat racks because there are bumper plates; you can start loading on 25's and it looks like you have 315 on the bar.

Big C
01-24-12, 11:01 pm
Friday night Leg training is always on the menu. Been that way for months now.

Same here my man. No one trains on Friday night, so I can get access to what I need. Not being able to walk all weekend is such a great feeling lol.

Wycked
01-25-12, 1:47 am
Legs separate the men from the boys. I fuckin love doing legs bc it was my weakness I attack the fuck out of them twice a week. Back to back days. Tear'em down to build them up boys!

Dave TapouT
01-26-12, 2:22 am
No one did squats at my gym... or deadlifts. I showed up did it for like 3 months and it started catching on that I didnt look like I fit in... well... thats cause I dont. Now I see the posers doing em horribly. Stackin the bar, and grunting for 6" of a squat.. or the leg press for a couple inches... Its not a pretty sight.

LittleMan
01-26-12, 3:51 pm
Legs separate the men from the boys. I fuckin love doing legs bc it was my weakness I attack the fuck out of them twice a week. Back to back days. Tear'em down to build them up boys!

Legs = Saturdays
Run 3-Miles = Sundays

Thats how to burn'em!!!

It hurts sooooo good.

Shukin
02-02-12, 10:07 pm
Okay, so I'm at the gym today and this old guy rocks up and plops down on the leg extension machine while I'm benching. I think to myself, "finally I see someone do legs". Then he heads over to the seated leg curl machine, I keep working out, changing up from exercise to exercise, and he's still on the leg curl machine... So I have a closer look and the geezer is ASLEEP! I couldn't fuckin' believe it.......

Christman
02-02-12, 10:11 pm
Okay, so I'm at the gym today and this old guy rocks up and plops down on the leg extension machine while I'm benching. I think to myself, "finally I see someone do legs". Then he heads over to the seated leg curl machine, I keep working out, changing up from exercise to exercise, and he's still on the leg curl machine... So I have a closer look and the geezer is ASLEEP! I couldn't fuckin' believe it.......

HAHA! Ya think he would have at least went for the lying leg curl machine to get a little more comfortable.

Shukin
02-02-12, 10:17 pm
HAHA! Ya think he would have at least went for the lying leg curl machine to get a little more comfortable.

There isn't one.....lol, I started grunting a few reps out and I woke him up, he did a few leg curls and got up wiped his brow and left! It kinda made my day.

Wycked
02-02-12, 10:23 pm

Classic!!! U should have gone over and scared the shit out of his. Lazy fuck