PDA

View Full Version : SouthernNational Bench Press & Deadlift.

GFH_Bama
01-23-12, 1:38 pm
Hello fellas. I am entering the Southern National Bench Press and Deadlift meet June 30. I have been training for a little over 2 months now. My bench max is right around 365 raw, but that is not a pause bench. My 1 second pause bench is 325. I have some work to do before June since I am wanting to get up to about 405. My deadlift is probably my best lift of all the main ones. Right now I am a little above 600, but my form could use some work and I need to be around 700 by the time of the meet. This is the first meet I have ever competed in. I trained to be in a meet in December, but did not get to enter due to the fact that I am a football coach and I lost some strength during the season so my team said it was in my best interest to wait until this one. Any advice on training and splits would be much appreciated.

BigChrisF
01-24-12, 4:02 am
Unless you are looking at a specialized supplementation program or jumping a weight class or two, I don't believe those goals are likely. Maybe if you have already been up there before and are coming back from extended time away from training. Blazing your way into fresh territory tends to take a lot longer than comebacks.

For your first meet, I usually advise not to be too concerned with performance. There are a lot of different aspect to competing that you are going to have to figure out, and can screw up your performance along the way. The longer the meet, the more you will have to time things right. Timing when to put gear on between attempts, timing your warm-ups, when to eat and what and so on. Your main goal is to not bomb-out and learn what you can about the process. Generally lifters are friendly with each other, so asking other people at the meet can be helpful. Just avoid bombarding people with questions while they are warming up or psyching up for a lift.

Posting a video of some of your training lifts will allow us to figure out what the weakness are there and what might be helpful to correct them.

weaver
01-24-12, 8:32 am
are you raw or equipped? BigChris is right...if it's your first meet just go and have fun. you could possibly get those lifts up in a yrs time.....but that all depends on you. if the meet isnt until june, why are you training for it now? it's not even feb yet? what usually works for peek strength(not burning out) is a 8-10 week cycle. so for you you would start in late april to peek for your meet in june. what is your training style?

GFH_Bama
01-24-12, 10:45 am
are you raw or equipped? BigChris is right...if it's your first meet just go and have fun. you could possibly get those lifts up in a yrs time.....but that all depends on you. if the meet isnt until june, why are you training for it now? it's not even feb yet? what usually works for peek strength(not burning out) is a 8-10 week cycle. so for you you would start in late april to peek for your meet in june. what is your training style?

Here is yesterday afternoon lift plan:
Bench: 10@165, 8@180, 8@195, 8@225, 8@245, 8@260 (Struggled with last 2 reps but pushed them out at 260.)
Incline Dumbells: 5 x 5 (Finished with 120's for a good set)
Decline Bench: 4 x 10 (Last set was at 315 for a triple drop set)
Pullovers: 4 x 8
Cable Crossovers: 4 x 10
Skulls: 3 x 12(each set finished with lockouts til Failure)
Rope Pulls: 4 x 12
Overhead Extension: 4 x 15
Kickbacks: 3 x 15
Dips: 3 x To Fail (35,30,30 rep scheme)

That was my chest and tricep routine for last night. Tonight I will be hitting back and biceps with my Dead as main lift.

weaver
01-24-12, 2:15 pm
Here is yesterday afternoon lift plan:
Bench: 10@165, 8@180, 8@195, 8@225, 8@245, 8@260 (Struggled with last 2 reps but pushed them out at 260.)
Incline Dumbells: 5 x 5 (Finished with 120's for a good set)
Decline Bench: 4 x 10 (Last set was at 315 for a triple drop set)
Pullovers: 4 x 8
Cable Crossovers: 4 x 10
Skulls: 3 x 12(each set finished with lockouts til Failure)
Rope Pulls: 4 x 12
Overhead Extension: 4 x 15
Kickbacks: 3 x 15
Dips: 3 x To Fail (35,30,30 rep scheme)

That was my chest and tricep routine for last night. Tonight I will be hitting back and biceps with my Dead as main lift.

well bro, if your asking for advice thats way to much volume to get stronger on the main lift. and thats what you're trying to do to compete. also to push it to much unless you're peaking for a meet. if you want to be a powerlifter you have to train like one, and for that purpose. i would do this:
bench: barx20
135x10
175x5
225x3
260x1...them move on to inclines for 3 heavy sets/or board presses for 3 sets.
peck deck flys/or db flys 3 sets of 10
standing dumbell presses 3 sets of 6-10
pushdowns 3 sets of 10...thats it hit it heavy and hard then gert out to recover.

C.Coronato
01-27-12, 12:08 pm
Good luck my man, im hitting my first PL meet tomorrow!