PDA

View Full Version : Post Cortisone Shot Workout

oldrookie123
01-25-12, 9:26 pm
Today (Jan. 24, 2012) I had a cortisone shot for my left shoulder. I asked if both shoulders can receive the injection...the doc said no. So worst shoulder was the lucky one. Was advised to stay away from weights today....but I am too much of a gym junkie to stay away.

Decided to hit Legs & Shoulders, starting off with legs in a reverse manner, starting with calves.

Legs
Horizontal calves: 220/25, 250/25, 300/25
Leg Curls: 75/15, 85/15, 95/15
Leg Extensions: 100/15, 130/15, 160/10, 175/8, 190/10
Seated Leg Press: 150/20, 180/20 X 2 (I really need to stay away from any kind of leg press....aggravates my back)

Shoulders
Hammer Strength Pullovers: 90/20,110/20
Behind The Head Pulldowns:75/20, 85/20, 100/20
Upright Rows: 40/12, 40/10, 50/10 X 2
Incline Db Rear Delts: 30/12 X 2, 35/10, 35/15
Db Front Raise: 25/10 X 4
Shrugs: 180/20 X 3
Seated Sides: 55/12, 60/12, 65/10, 70/10
Seated Face Pulls: 80/15, 110/15, 130/10
Hammer Strength High Iso Rows: 140/15 X 4
Incline Shoulder Press: 75/30, 85/27, 105/20

I wanted to try Greg Longs Smith Machine lounges, but too many people in the gym this afternoon. But it is a must try for next leg workout.

Over all....2 hrs in the gym. About an hr for both areas, feel pretty good.

oldrookie123
01-25-12, 9:35 pm
Today (Jan. 24, 2012) I had a cortisone shot for my left shoulder. I asked if both shoulders can receive the injection...the doc said no. So worst shoulder was the lucky one. Was advised to stay away from weights today....but I am too much of a gym junkie to stay away.

Decided to hit Legs & Shoulders, starting off with legs in a reverse manner, starting with calves.

Legs
Horizontal calves: 220/25, 250/25, 300/25
Leg Curls: 75/15, 85/15, 95/15
Leg Extensions: 100/15, 130/15, 160/10, 175/8, 190/10
Seated Leg Press: 150/20, 180/20 X 2 (I really need to stay away from any kind of leg press....aggravates my back)

Shoulders
Hammer Strength Pullovers: 90/20,110/20
Behind The Head Pulldowns:75/20, 85/20, 100/20
Upright Rows: 40/12, 40/10, 50/10 X 2
Incline Db Rear Delts: 30/12 X 2, 35/10, 35/15
Db Front Raise: 25/10 X 4
Shrugs: 180/20 X 3
Seated Sides: 55/12, 60/12, 65/10, 70/10
Seated Face Pulls: 80/15, 110/15, 130/10
Hammer Strength High Iso Rows: 140/15 X 4
Incline Shoulder Press: 75/30, 85/27, 105/20

I wanted to try Greg Longs Smith Machine lounges, but too many people in the gym this afternoon. But it is a must try for next leg workout.

Over all....2 hrs in the gym. About an hr for both areas, feel pretty good.

That was yesterday. Today I had this crazy idea of repeating the workout, since I have an itch about these Smith Machine lounges, but once I warmed up I decided to go to my next workout. Back & bicep. Didn't write down any of the workout since I played it by ear today. Depending on how shoulders feel tomorrow I will hit Chest & Triceps, if unable, I'll just do Cardio & Abs.

Wycked
01-25-12, 9:42 pm
Bro don't be so gung ho to start smashing weight with that left shoulder. Cortisone shots provide relief to the pain but the underlying problem is still there. Your shoulder needs to rest and perhaps u should look in to some physio to learn how to get more mobility to the shoulder

oldrookie123
01-26-12, 10:19 pm
Bro don't be so gung ho to start smashing weight with that left shoulder. Cortisone shots provide relief to the pain but the underlying problem is still there. Your shoulder needs to rest and perhaps u should look in to some physio to learn how to get more mobility to the shoulder

Thanks man. When you are a disabled person (in my case I am a veteran), don't work and don't have much to do and above all, refuse to let a little thing called pain push you back in a spot (an ugly one) called depression. It is hard to allow pain to put you in a place specially when you have fought hard to get out of. Working out (and obviously GOD) has been an outlet. I've suffered from pain since 1986. Cervical & lower back pain mostly until it just got worst and now runs down my shoulders. I have super high tolerance for it. It's not an excuse, it's just a drive.

I haven't done any type of bench press since October last year. Have not put any kind of stress directly on my chest. Tried 1 set here and another one there but either incline or decline. But for some reason working out my shoulders help...a lot.

2nd day after shot (today) finally got in a serious chest & tricep workout. 41 sets between both. Pain? What pain? Let me see if I can post my workout.

Ok. Got it......

Chest: 25 sets

Hammer Strength Pullover: 90/12 X 2, 140/12 X 2
Pec Fly: 160/15, 205/10, 250/10, 280/10, 295/8
Nitro Incline Chest: 150/15, 195/10 X 2, 225/10
Decline BB Bench Press:145/10 X 2, 155/10, 165/15
Incline DB Bench Press: 50/25 X 2, 60/20, 60/18
Hammer Strength Incline Seated Press: 70/15, 90/10, 110/8, 120/6

Tricep: 16 sets

Superset: reverse Grip Tricep Pulldown Ext. : 90/20, 100/15, 110/10, 120/8 with Tricep Pull down: 90/15, 100/15, 110/8, 120/8
Seated Overhead Tricep Ext. (EZ bar): 50/10 50/15, 50/20, 60/12
Nautilus Machine Dips: 125/20, 135/20, 145/20, 170/20

But all is good. Felt good to finally get this workout in.

Back To Basics
01-26-12, 11:06 pm
Hey Rookie, can you tell us specifically what is wrong with your shoulder - tell us in it's full terms so that I can try and help you out.

I feel I have a good idea on a lot of common problems that people suffer from so, I want to see if I know what is wrong so that I can ge you some exercises and plans to rehab your shoulder.

oldrookie123
01-26-12, 11:22 pm
Hey Rookie, can you tell us specifically what is wrong with your shoulder - tell us in it's full terms so that I can try and help you out.

I feel I have a good idea on a lot of common problems that people suffer from so, I want to see if I know what is wrong so that I can ge you some exercises and plans to rehab your shoulder.

According to MRI there is a possible tear of the supraspinatus. Had shots over a year ago, but didnt do much. But the physical therapy did. It was what got me in the gym. It started hurting again around October last year. Me knowing my body I decided to stay away from any type of bench press. I had an orthopedics appt a couple of weeks back. She checked and found that since I have full range of motion in all direction that there isn't any tear....maybe soreness. So she asked if I wanted to try the cortisone shots again. I said yeah.... But this time she injected straight into the muscle, last time they went into the rotator area.

Today it felt great.

Back To Basics
01-27-12, 12:15 am
According to MRI there is a possible tear of the supraspinatus. Had shots over a year ago, but didnt do much. But the physical therapy did. It was what got me in the gym. It started hurting again around October last year. Me knowing my body I decided to stay away from any type of bench press. I had an orthopedics appt a couple of weeks back. She checked and found that since I have full range of motion in all direction that there isn't any tear....maybe soreness. So she asked if I wanted to try the cortisone shots again. I said yeah.... But this time she injected straight into the muscle, last time they went into the rotator area.

Today it felt great.

Rotator Cuff tears are pretty common, I think it's smart to stay away from movements that require a lot of stabilizing like Flat Bench, Barbell military press etc etc - you will know which ones give you the most pain and immobility.

I think you don't need to go to a physio but can rehab your self slowing and patiently. The supraspinatus elevates your scapula (Shoulder blade) and aids in shrugging and abducting (Lifting away from your body) your arm.

I would dedicate either your back or shoulder day to rehabbing your supraspinatus and strengthening the rotator cuff so future injuries don't occur.
Here is a good place to start - Each exercise 3 Sets 15-20 reps, 60 second rest - Light weight initially your not trying to move weight, technique and a very slow and controlled movement is everything

Start each of your chest, shoulder and back days with light side laterals with your palms rotated internally like your pouring a jug + cable machine external rotations
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIURPPkf8co and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzqbP_dKh68 are the external rotations

On your rehab day do the side laterals with palms internally rotated like I mentioned
- This video has a great list of exercise that you should use, only difference is that you should do the external rotations on a cable instead of a dumbbell - you don't work well with dumbbells.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOWpAl2oHic&feature=related - Do each of those exercise after your finished your main training just as I listed (3 sets 15-20 reps etc)

If you have any questions just ask ! Hope It helps. If you don't try and fix it now it could get worse and worse.

oldrookie123
01-27-12, 12:57 am
I've been doing the same rehab exercised prior and after each workout. The only thing I've incorporated which helps big time with shoulder movement is the Hammer Strength Pull Over machine. I'll just put 2 25 lbs disc and hit it light looking just for a nice long stretch. Definitely has helped. Since then I've use this exercise as a warm up, no matter what body part. I've done pendulum swings, arm rotations and weightless rotator movement.

To be honest, being away from the benching has helped a lot. What hurt the most was the flat bench where I was doing normal & reverse grips. And these last 2 workouts post injection has been great. But I will definitely give those exercises a try.

Thanks.

Back To Basics
01-27-12, 5:45 pm
I've been doing the same rehab exercised prior and after each workout. The only thing I've incorporated which helps big time with shoulder movement is the Hammer Strength Pull Over machine. I'll just put 2 25 lbs disc and hit it light looking just for a nice long stretch. Definitely has helped. Since then I've use this exercise as a warm up, no matter what body part. I've done pendulum swings, arm rotations and weightless rotator movement.

To be honest, being away from the benching has helped a lot. What hurt the most was the flat bench where I was doing normal & reverse grips. And these last 2 workouts post injection has been great. But I will definitely give those exercises a try.

Thanks.

It's good to know that you know how to warm up properly with the injury etc - far too many people don't warm up properly and end up blowing out things..

Also look up "The 7 Minute rotator cuff solution e-Book" It's a great read with a lot of good information.
Best of luck with that shoulder man.

oldrookie123
01-30-12, 2:03 am
Sadly, but now I can take a couple of days off weights. My aching body needs it. Will just concentrate only on cardio & abs.

But today with my final Shock Therapy sample I had an awesome awesome workout. Did more sets than I've ever done and found myself doing extra just to finish off fatiguing muscles.

Back
Lat Pull Down 4 sets
Seated Rows 3 sets
Rev Grip T-bar rows 4 sets
Hammer Strength Low Iso Rows 4 sets
Hammer Strength High Iso Rows 4 sets
Incline Rear Delts (DB) 4 sets

Chest An in betweener
Ez Bar Incline Press 4 sets

Bicep
Incline DB Curls 4 sets
Standing DB Hammer Curls 4 sets
Preacher Curls 8 sets (last 4 drop sets)
Standing EZ Bar curls 4 sets
Seated DB Curls 2 sets
Cable Concentration Curls 2 sets

Got in 51 sets and felt great. It seems that this high volume workout is finally making me feel like I am really getting a good workout in. Even with the aches I been feeling some great pumps and my body has felt full, if you know what I mean.

But I do need a couple of days off weights. But on Wednesday will start again with shoulders, that way my back gets additional rest.