PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Band Squats

Big Wides
01-27-12, 8:06 am
I've never done them before and will probably attempt them this weekend. Anything I should we aware of? Does it follow the same principle as a board bench, where it allows your body to get accustomed to higher weights?

naturalguy
01-27-12, 9:02 am
Do you mean with the bands from the top? Aka the future method.

If so, yes it allows you to handle heavier weights helping most in the bottom of the squat and as you come up you are using more weight.

TigerAce01
01-27-12, 9:14 am
No, it does not follow the principles of a board press. A board press stops the downward motion of the bench press completely...but reverse band squats are related to reverse band bench. The weight is de-loaded in the bottom portion, then re-loaded as you continue through the lift. Some say the bands will also help you get into a groove, but I think this is more a mental thing.

The biggest thing to remember is to stay completely tight in the hole, even though the weight is lighter. You'll want to loosen up because it'll be a lot easier (depending on the band tension), and it might cause you to come out of your groove.

-Ace

J Wong
01-27-12, 9:22 am
Do you mean with the bands from the top? Aka the future method.

If so, yes it allows you to handle heavier weights helping most in the bottom of the squat and as you come up you are using more weight.

Yep, what he said.

It is a great tool imo, especially to get used to heavier weight.

Big Wides
01-27-12, 10:21 am
Great, thanks for the feedback. Using reverse bands is something new for me so I wanted to see what it would be like. Should make for an interesting day

Aggression
01-27-12, 11:43 am
I'd like to see how you do with 'em, Wides. Keep us updated. I'd like to give those a shot at one point.

TigerAce01
01-27-12, 1:38 pm
Reverse Band squats are fun as hell man, have fun with it! If you're raw, you'll definitely be putting up some big ass numbers!!

-Ace

Big Wides
01-31-12, 7:56 am
Man you guys weren't kidding, these things are awesome. Was able to work up to 605 for a single, I wanted to go heavier and probably could have but with the absence of a spotter I didn't want to chance it. I really like how it got heavier as you came out of the hole and I can see this being a great tool to get back some lost explosive power. I'll probably rotate these every 4 weeks or so. Plus getting used to heavy weights again can only help

Aggression
01-31-12, 8:29 am
Man you guys weren't kidding, these things are awesome. Was able to work up to 605 for a single, I wanted to go heavier and probably could have but with the absence of a spotter I didn't want to chance it. I really like how it got heavier as you came out of the hole and I can see this being a great tool to get back some lost explosive power. I'll probably rotate these every 4 weeks or so. Plus getting used to heavy weights again can only help

You did 605 for a single with reverse bands. And what is your best raw squat?

Big Wides
01-31-12, 8:43 am
You did 605 for a single with reverse bands. And what is your best raw squat?

My best raw squat is 610, which was done back in Sept. 2009 at an APA meet. I know it doesn't make sense but I haven't been able to go heavy in a long while due to issues. Also, if I had a spotter I would have tried for 650 or 675

Aggression
01-31-12, 8:53 am
My best raw squat is 610, which was done back in Sept. 2009 at an APA meet. I know it doesn't make sense but I haven't been able to go heavy in a long while due to issues. Also, if I had a spotter I would have tried for 650 or 675

word