PDA

View Full Version : Bodybuilding and Fight

zubda345
01-29-12, 3:01 pm
Is there anyone here, who is a bodybuilder as well as a fighter?

By fighter I mean a man who can pull out those amazing MMA and knows different fighting styles...

One of em I think is Antoine, I have seen him hop around, he's a trickster but I don't know he's a fighter or not.

Anyways if there is someone... I need to talk...

Dave TapouT
01-29-12, 8:32 pm
I'm no pro.. but you're on my facebook... if it comes to fighting, I may be able to help.

zubda345
01-29-12, 10:03 pm
I'm no pro.. but you're on my facebook... if it comes to fighting, I may be able to help.

I never knew that you might be into fighting skills... I will contact you on facebook.

Thankx Bro

C.Coronato
01-30-12, 5:01 pm
Post up your questions, some people may be able to help. I got into boxing first, then more MMA, before i turned totally to bodybuilding/powerlifting. I personally, was too short/heavy for it, as i wanted to be bigger, so MMA was not in my favor lol.

Carrnage
01-30-12, 6:45 pm
Im too feminine to fight.

I <3 Bodybuilding

Aggression
01-31-12, 10:57 am
Antoine isn't a fighter. He still does 'tricking' from back in the day. Typically, legit bodybuilders can't be fighters. They're two different worlds. Bodybuilding is all about mass and size. When it comes to fighting, all that muscle weighs you down; makes you slow, less agile, etc. Unless you're going up against another bodybuilder/fighter, your chances of victory are rather slim. They require two different types of body compositions. However, if you train with weights in an effort to be bigger/stronger, there's no reason you can't also work with MMA styles. Once you get to a higher level of one, the other would have to take a back seat.

Dave TapouT
02-02-12, 11:15 pm
Antoine isn't a fighter. He still does 'tricking' from back in the day. Typically, legit bodybuilders can't be fighters. They're two different worlds. Bodybuilding is all about mass and size. When it comes to fighting, all that muscle weighs you down; makes you slow, less agile, etc. Unless you're going up against another bodybuilder/fighter, your chances of victory are rather slim. They require two different types of body compositions. However, if you train with weights in an effort to be bigger/stronger, there's no reason you can't also work with MMA styles. Once you get to a higher level of one, the other would have to take a back seat.

Basically this. I hope you got my message on FB, my facebook messaging is all messed up :-/.
Its one thing if you're learning self defense... I'd say go for it.
If your looking to get into competitive fighting.... I'd highly reccomend one or the other... bb or fighting... be good at both or great at one.. feel me?

trust me on this one... knowing how to fight well isnt going to stop people from wanting to hit you, they will never know the punishment they are about to recieve.....
But when they look at an animal... they think twice.

But if you're intent on doing both... I'll support you 100%, I'd be fucking damned if I ever told someone "you cant"

zubda345
02-03-12, 10:57 am
Post up your questions, some people may be able to help. I got into boxing first, then more MMA, before i turned totally to bodybuilding/powerlifting. I personally, was too short/heavy for it, as i wanted to be bigger, so MMA was not in my favor lol.

I got into Karate when I was 8, I was about to complete my white belt and I quited cause my brother was jelous (sounds funny as hell, I know it). I got into it again at about 12 or 14 I guess But again had it leave it cause time was not being adjusted, again sounds like a fucked up excuse, I know.

But on the bright side I still know some basics like round house kicks, side kicks, stright punch, flying kick (if only there's a target before me) etc.

ok so here are some questions:

How can I learn some combination of puches and kicks? and How can I train my self to dodge punches or graples??

zubda345
02-03-12, 11:13 am
Im too feminine to fight.

I <3 Bodybuilding

ehh.... Don't tell me you've never been in a fight, I think u WOULD have been in some and you would have kicked the shit out of others...

I totally get this but I have some questions I'll write in the end of this reply, hope to get an answer from you soon.

Basically this. I hope you got my message on FB, my facebook messaging is all messed up :-/.
Its one thing if you're learning self defense... I'd say go for it.
If your looking to get into competitive fighting.... I'd highly reccomend one or the other... bb or fighting... be good at both or great at one.. feel me?

trust me on this one... knowing how to fight well isnt going to stop people from wanting to hit you, they will never know the punishment they are about to recieve.....
But when they look at an animal... they think twice.

But if you're intent on doing both... I'll support you 100%, I'd be fucking damned if I ever told someone "you cant" Dave u need to get ur fb's chat fixed... I never recieved ur replies after I asked my question...

I totally get Aggression's and Dave's point... I would sum it up and say that you people are saying that a bodybuilder CANNOT be a professional fighter? I doubt it....

But frankly speaking, I don't want to be a PROFESSIONAL fighter I just want to keep "fighting" as a hobby.... Look at Bobby Lashley, the man has a big body and he's a pro fighter, not a pro bodybuilder (the fact which tells me it's self that "Once you get to a higher level of one, the other would have to take a back seat"), he kept bodybuilding as a hobby and choose fighting as the main target... I want to do it inversly...

msktyshha
02-06-12, 1:32 pm
Iam boxing 4 times a week and am following a bodybuilding routine 4 times a week as well. My gains are pretty good and my boxing skills are pretty decent also. You can be a fighter and a bodybuilder at the same time but not as good if you just focused on one.

Aggression
02-06-12, 1:56 pm
I totally get Aggression's and Dave's point... I would sum it up and say that you people are saying that a bodybuilder CANNOT be a professional fighter? I doubt it....

But frankly speaking, I don't want to be a PROFESSIONAL fighter I just want to keep "fighting" as a hobby.... Look at Bobby Lashley, the man has a big body and he's a pro fighter, not a pro bodybuilder (the fact which tells me it's self that "Once you get to a higher level of one, the other would have to take a back seat"), he kept bodybuilding as a hobby and choose fighting as the main target... I want to do it inversly...

Bobby Lashley was also a collegiate wrestler, a wrestler in the United States Army, and a professional wrestler. He's one of those 'freak of nature' type people. And the guys he has fought have all been in the range of 235lbs-260lbs, just like him. As I mentioned, one bodybuilder/fighter hybrid against another is one thing; they're evenly matched. But a bodybuilder fighting a legit fighter .. end well, it will not, unless you're a genetic/physical freak like a Lashley or Lesnar. And unfortunately, none of us in this thread fit that category.

Aggression
02-06-12, 1:57 pm
You can be a fighter and a bodybuilder at the same time but not as good if you just focused on one.

Exactly. This is the main point. Can you be both? Sure. But when it comes to a certain level, you'll have to choose one over the other to focus on.

zubda345
02-07-12, 12:43 am
Iam boxing 4 times a week and am following a bodybuilding routine 4 times a week as well. My gains are pretty good and my boxing skills are pretty decent also. You can be a fighter and a bodybuilder at the same time but not as good if you just focused on one.

Bobby Lashley was also a collegiate wrestler, a wrestler in the United States Army, and a professional wrestler. He's one of those 'freak of nature' type people. And the guys he has fought have all been in the range of 235lbs-260lbs, just like him. As I mentioned, one bodybuilder/fighter hybrid against another is one thing; they're evenly matched. But a bodybuilder fighting a legit fighter .. end well, it will not, unless you're a genetic/physical freak like a Lashley or Lesnar. And unfortunately, none of us in this thread fit that category.

Exactly. This is the main point. Can you be both? Sure. But when it comes to a certain level, you'll have to choose one over the other to focus on.

ahhh I see the logic now... I know Lashley's background a bit thou....

I never said I wanted to be a legit fighter, I just said I want to be both but I want to be a fighter as best as I can be.
I get what you people saying, I will choose Bodybuilding over Fighting if I am to decide my "best trade". But I want to be the best fighter I CAN BE KEEPING MYSELF IN THE BODYBUILDING FIELD.

zubda345
02-07-12, 12:53 am
I think it brings me to the main question....

I want to know the basics of the training... Like, I can get a sand bag, but I don't think I have anyplace to hang it. But that's another thing. How should I train myself in a fighting way if I want to?

Carrnage
02-07-12, 3:22 am

I want to know the basics of the training... Like, I can get a sand bag, but I don't think I have anyplace to hang it. But that's another thing. How should I train myself in a fighting way if I want to?

Gotta find a local fighting coach! I mean you can search up youtube instructional videos but thats only gonna take you so far.

zubda345
02-07-12, 5:07 am
Gotta find a local fighting coach! I mean you can search up youtube instructional videos but thats only gonna take you so far.

There's one fight club far away (which is said to be the only one in my city) they demand more than one can pay... I guess world is for the rich....

I look for some coaches. Ask some people I know...

zubda345
02-07-12, 5:12 am

There's one fight club far away (which is said to be the only one in my city) they demand more than one can pay... I guess world is for the rich....

I look for some coaches. Ask some people I know...

Aggression
02-07-12, 8:37 am

You can definitely continue to bodybuild while learning the basics of fighting. That would be great. The training for fighting can even serve as conditioning. Unfortunately, you can't really train yourself when it comes to the arts of fighting. Sure, you can hit a speed bag or punching bag, but that's not going to help you with actual 'fighting'. You'll need some type of coaching/lessons.

Sprint
02-08-12, 7:56 am
Personally, I'd say go for it. Speaking as a competitive track athlete and competitive bodybuilder.

In terms of crossover sports, it's worth remembering that fast-twitch muscles are the ones responsible for hypertrophy. I started in track athletics when I was 15, & reached what would seem to be my physical limit for that sport. When I was 21, I started bodybuilding. Even though I compete in the "non-natural" classes, I'm entirely clean. My athletics coach brought me up as a clean athlete & anything else would be like me slapping her in the face, & you don't do that to somebody who has given 12 years of their life to you. Plus my athletics governing body, UK Athletics, are one of the, if not THE most strict sporting bodies in the world when it comes to doping rules.

So I added in the bodybuilding, put on almost 3 stone lean mass, and I'm still running times that I was without the 3 stone. The only difference now is I feel more comfortable with the lactic acid towards the end of a race and in training.

My point is, because fast-twitch fibres are more prone to growth in size, you can develop mass and retain explosive power.

The only downside would be, if you go into fighting competition, you will likely end up fighting guys who are naturally that size/weight. By naturally, I mean they didn't have to put on several kgs of mass to be in that class.

I'd recommend you give it a go, simply because now you're thinking about it, you'll regret it in the future if you never gave it a shot & experienced it.

zubda345
02-08-12, 8:02 am
You can definitely continue to bodybuild while learning the basics of fighting. That would be great. The training for fighting can even serve as conditioning. Unfortunately, you can't really train yourself when it comes to the arts of fighting. Sure, you can hit a speed bag or punching bag, but that's not going to help you with actual 'fighting'. You'll need some type of coaching/lessons.

I agree that training myself with bags and things like that won't help me in actual fight... You are right I do need a coach if I want to learn.

Personally, I'd say go for it. Speaking as a competitive track athlete and competitive bodybuilder.

In terms of crossover sports, it's worth remembering that fast-twitch muscles are the ones responsible for hypertrophy. I started in track athletics when I was 15, & reached what would seem to be my physical limit for that sport. When I was 21, I started bodybuilding. Even though I compete in the "non-natural" classes, I'm entirely clean. My athletics coach brought me up as a clean athlete & anything else would be like me slapping her in the face, & you don't do that to somebody who has given 12 years of their life to you. Plus my athletics governing body, UK Athletics, are one of the, if not THE most strict sporting bodies in the world when it comes to doping rules.

So I added in the bodybuilding, put on almost 3 stone lean mass, and I'm still running times that I was without the 3 stone. The only difference now is I feel more comfortable with the lactic acid towards the end of a race and in training.

My point is, because fast-twitch fibres are more prone to growth in size, you can develop mass and retain explosive power.

The only downside would be, if you go into fighting competition, you will likely end up fighting guys who are naturally that size/weight. By naturally, I mean they didn't have to put on several kgs of mass to be in that class.

I'd recommend you give it a go, simply because now you're thinking about it, you'll regret it in the future if you never gave it a shot & experienced it.

Yeah I would prolly regret it if I don't learn it... I'll start looking for someone who knows and can train me....

Just let my exams pass.

Sprint
02-08-12, 8:31 am
I agree that training myself with bags and things like that won't help me in actual fight... You are right I do need a coach if I want to learn.

Yeah I would prolly regret it if I don't learn it... I'll start looking for someone who knows and can train me....

Just let my exams pass.

Keep us posted bro

Aggression
02-08-12, 8:39 am

Spot on. When they were building up the Overeem/Lesnar fight, they kept giving the size advantage to Lesnar, saying that he was naturally 260lbs. He didn't have to eat/train his way to 260lbs. His body was simply predisposed to being that large and in charge. Where most of us would spend years eating thousands upon thousands of calories just trying to gain a few pounds, Lesnar was 260 without even trying. He didn't need weight gainers, massive carbs, etc. FREAK in every sense of the word.

Sprint
02-08-12, 7:48 pm
Spot on. When they were building up the Overeem/Lesnar fight, they kept giving the size advantage to Lesnar, saying that he was naturally 260lbs. He didn't have to eat/train his way to 260lbs. His body was simply predisposed to being that large and in charge. Where most of us would spend years eating thousands upon thousands of calories just trying to gain a few pounds, Lesnar was 260 without even trying. He didn't need weight gainers, massive carbs, etc. FREAK in every sense of the word.

If I remember rightly, I'm sure I heard them say that they had to make special gloves for Lesnar as the largest existing size weren't big enough to fit his hands.

mcbeast
02-08-12, 9:18 pm
How to be a good fighter 101:

1) Strenghten your body with various weight training techniques.

2) I have seen your pictures, you are nowhere near "heavy" so you should continue to work on mobility.

3) Eat well, Sleep well

4) Stock up on ibuprofen & ice.

5) Work on basic techniques, watch some instructional videos, find a friend or two to practice with.

6)Piss someone off, and fight. Woop ass, or get your ass handed to you. Repeat.

Aggression
02-09-12, 8:49 am
If I remember rightly, I'm sure I heard them say that they had to make special gloves for Lesnar as the largest existing size weren't big enough to fit his hands.

That's a big fuckin' fist coming at your face, bro. lol

Bruiser
02-09-12, 8:56 am

2) I have seen your pictures, you are nowhere near "heavy" so you should continue to work on mobility.

3) Eat well, Sleep well

5) Work on basic techniques, watch some instructional videos, find a friend or two to practice with.

This is great advice. And I LOVE #6! LOL

Sprint
02-09-12, 11:08 am
That's a big fuckin' fist coming at your face, bro. lol

Probably has it's own gravitational pull, thus increasing the force of the impact

Aggression
02-09-12, 11:39 am

Found this out about Shane Carwin

- Has largest hands in UFC history; wears a 3XL and sometimes a 4XL, giving him a massive fist size on par with heavyweight boxing great George Foreman

Big Joe
02-09-12, 5:08 pm

Or get your fucking head blown off...I would keep this to sparring in a gym

Sprint
02-09-12, 5:33 pm
Found this out about Shane Carwin

- Has largest hands in UFC history; wears a 3XL and sometimes a 4XL, giving him a massive fist size on par with heavyweight boxing great George Foreman

4XL.

Fuck.

mcbeast
02-09-12, 7:32 pm
This is great advice. And I LOVE #6! LOL

Yep, probably the most I have contributed to this forvm in a bit. Its good advice for someone who wants to be Mr. O, Brock Lesnar and a cop in America amongst many other things

Bruiser
02-09-12, 8:42 pm
Yep, probably the most I have contributed to this forvm in a bit. Its good advice for someone who wants to be Mr. O, Brock Lesnar and a cop in America amongst many other things

LOL. You remember those threads too!

zubda345
02-10-12, 5:17 am
Keep us posted bro
I will

HE was a natural freak

3) Eat well, Sleep well

Alright. Whoop ass.

Aggression
02-10-12, 8:36 am

Sounds like an All American Hero, lol.

Big C
02-10-12, 9:52 am

I agree bro....I used to go to watch some Tough Man contests when I was new to the gym, and all the huge guys from the gym would compete. I was always thinking they would beat some ass, but they are the ones who got it handed to them fairly fast. They could pack a punch if they could get one off, but definately too slow/agile.

Cranky
02-10-12, 9:57 am

Aw man, I needed that! Thanks.

Dave TapouT
02-11-12, 3:22 pm
if you wanna be a better fighter... walk into a bar and just run around sucker punching everyone. once you get a whole crowd against you, run up and put your back to the wall and fend for your life. if you do it right, you dont need anymore training... if your a bloody mess sprawled out across the bathroom floor... good chance you went over your limit and tried to get too many people after you. start small. like middleschool kids... run up and take out an entire cafeteria of 12 year olds.

Honestly though... fighting in the streets sucks. very over-rated unless your girl just broke up with you... then... its a great time. I walk from EVERY fight now, whenever possible. its what MEN do. children horseplay.

zubda345
02-12-12, 12:45 pm

I might sound stupid to some.... MANY of people here but mcbeast, Thankyou for ˅ "Remembering"

LOL. You remember those threads too!

mcbeast
02-12-12, 1:03 pm
I might sound stupid to some.... MANY of people here but mcbeast, Thankyou for ˅ "Remembering"

Cold truth? You need to get your priorities straight, and make r.ealistic goals.

zubda345
02-12-12, 1:03 pm
very over-rated unless your girl just broke up with you... then... its a great time Or if no girl ever WANTED or took a chance to be with you even if you asked I would say...

if you wanna be a better fighter... walk into a bar and just run around sucker punching everyone. once you get a whole crowd against you, run up and put your back to the wall and fend for your life. if you do it right, you dont need anymore training... if your a bloody mess sprawled out across the bathroom floor... good chance you went over your limit and tried to get too many people after you. start small. like middleschool kids... run up and take out an entire cafeteria of 12 year olds.

Honestly though... fighting in the streets sucks. very over-rated unless your girl just broke up with you... then... its a great time. I walk from EVERY fight now, whenever possible. its what MEN do. children horseplay.

This knocks some sence in me head... I mean, to have a good typing speed and knowing the keyboard I would just have to type type and type.... So to be a good fighter I will have to fight fight and fight....

zubda345
02-12-12, 1:06 pm
Cold truth? You need to get your priorities straight, and make r.ealistic goals.

I am wrighting something in the livin section, I might post a new thread now or two days after... keep your eyes out if you could....

Everything I think I want is what I want. I have comeby to know this till now...