PDA

View Full Version : Reg Parks 1951 Routine

braves561
02-07-12, 11:05 pm
I'm thinking of trying this and doing cardio on two of the off days.

The weight lifting is performed 3x per week.

Squats 5 x 10
Bench Press 5 x 10
Weighted Dips 5 x 12
Barbell Curls 5 x 10
French Presses 5 x 10
Chins 5 x 10
Donkey Raises 5 sets
Abs 5 sets

Also, please note that I chose this one because I have a heart condition and am stuck lifting in the 10+ rep rang exclusively.

What do you guys think of this? I've been doing bodypart splits for awhile and think a full body program might be a fun switch.

Lifting_Is_Life
02-09-12, 1:37 pm

Squats 5 x 10
Bench Press 5 x 10
Weighted Dips 5 x 12
Barbell Curls 5 x 10
French Presses 5 x 10
Chins 5 x 10
Donkey Raises 5 sets
Abs 5 sets

Also, please note that I chose this one because I have a heart condition and am stuck lifting in the 10+ rep rang exclusively.

What do you guys think of this? I've been doing bodypart splits for awhile and think a full body program might be a fun switch.

Hey man, well my very first thought was...holy hell you're going to be dead tired and fatigued all the time lol. 5 sets of squats and 5 sets of bench followed by all the accessory lifts at 5 sets as well, I honestly don't know even if you are on point in every aspect of the game that you'll be ready to do this workout 3 times a week. Plus being so fatigued and doing those big lifts that many times 3 times a week, I really can't see you CNS fully recovering and so you really wouldn't see much growth from it. That's my idea on this, how to really change it up to fix it more is drop the volume to a little lower or stick to this and go pretty intense and just do it once a week(I'd personally go insane only lifting once a week though haha)

Carrnage
02-09-12, 11:38 pm
Hey man, well my very first thought was...holy hell you're going to be dead tired and fatigued all the time lol. 5 sets of squats and 5 sets of bench followed by all the accessory lifts at 5 sets as well, I honestly don't know even if you are on point in every aspect of the game that you'll be ready to do this workout 3 times a week. Plus being so fatigued and doing those big lifts that many times 3 times a week, I really can't see you CNS fully recovering and so you really wouldn't see much growth from it. That's my idea on this, how to really change it up to fix it more is drop the volume to a little lower or stick to this and go pretty intense and just do it once a week(I'd personally go insane only lifting once a week though haha)

How would you know his CNS would be too fatigued that he can't recover from it?

What do you know about the CNS?

I say this because so many people throw out the term "CNS" when they don't even know how to train and recover the Nervous System.

Not saying your one of those people, maybe you do have a logical reason, I just want to make sure legit advice is going around instead of a bunch of "Guesses" and Assumptions (bro science).

^^^Please don't take this post offensive! Im saying this with a smile on my face! :)

mcbeast
02-10-12, 5:07 am
What happened to 531, 5x5? Make any progress there?

In Flames
02-10-12, 10:30 am
Looks similar to the "Golden Six" exercise selection. It looks time consuming, so I would keep my rest periods short, under 60 seconds, more closer to around 30-45 seconds. Also you can add in super-sets or antagonistic sets; Bench/Chins, French Press/Barbell Curls. This will cut down time on the workout and get your body more conditioned. Give it a shot, can't hurt.

G Diesel
02-10-12, 10:38 am

Squats 5 x 10
Bench Press 5 x 10
Weighted Dips 5 x 12
Barbell Curls 5 x 10
French Presses 5 x 10
Chins 5 x 10
Donkey Raises 5 sets
Abs 5 sets

Very cool. I'd love to see how this works for you bro.

Reg Park was one of the greats, a true forefather of the sport, so it is safe to say that it certainly worked well for him.

Peace, G

braves561
02-10-12, 6:44 pm

I dont think the volume is too bad at all. I've done 40-45 set workouts before, so that shouldn't be a problem. Rest times would be limited and a lot of supersetting would happen with this if I were to do it.

Looks similar to the "Golden Six" exercise selection. It looks time consuming, so I would keep my rest periods short, under 60 seconds, more closer to around 30-45 seconds. Also you can add in super-sets or antagonistic sets; Bench/Chins, French Press/Barbell Curls. This will cut down time on the workout and get your body more conditioned. Give it a shot, can't hurt.

Yup! Short rest time + supersetting = workout done in about 1.25 hours or Less!

Very cool. I'd love to see how this works for you bro.

Reg Park was one of the greats, a true forefather of the sport, so it is safe to say that it certainly worked well for him.

Peace, G

Yeah, only thing is I'm so used to lifting weights 4+ days a week so going down to 3x per week will make me restless. I suppose cardio on the off days will fill the void but its not the same!

braves561
02-10-12, 6:46 pm
What happened to 531, 5x5? Make any progress there?

lol....

5x5 is out because of the rep range... :(

5/3/1 I have been recently doing with 90% of my 5rm instead of 1rm. It's difficult to progress thought with it because once I add the required 5 lbs. for upper, 10 lbs. for lower exercises, then I am out of that 5rm range...

braves561
02-11-12, 12:35 pm
Started up a log and will begin this routine tomorrow:

Here is a link for anyone interested:

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?38042-braves561-s-Training-Differently-Journal