PDA

View Full Version : Dumbbell Charlie Horse

Go Away
02-20-12, 7:28 am
Was doing overhead dumbbell presses the other day...
Carelessly let the the weights drop to my quads with too little resistance and my left leg felt it.
Didn't drop the weights, just let them come down a bit too hard.

I've felt tightness in the center of my quad these last two weeks, almost like I worked it out and it's sore.
No crazy feeling on leg day following, nothing uncomfortable, but when I stretch my quads I certainly feel as if there's a huge knot there. No bruising, swelling or throbbing... Just tightness.
Foam rolled em a couple times since the "incident" and it's definitely tender as hell...
Just started foam rolling too a few weeks ago - that shit is intense!

Wanted to hear from those who were as silly as I to have taken the dumbbell landing pad for granted like I did the other week. My next shoulder exercise had me carefully timid and responsible, so alls well that ends well.
But when does my damned leg loosen up?!

Bruiser
02-20-12, 8:45 am
Give a rolling pin a shot. Think "Foam Roller From Hell"... That's what I use when my quads are destroyed. Just sit on a chair with your legs bent and use a lot of force with the rolling pin like you're trying to flatten that fucker. Hurts like a sonofabitch but it will help.

Go Away
02-20-12, 9:33 am
haha sounds scary as shit. about to report back in a few... if i survive

Go Away
02-20-12, 11:03 am
No fun at all homie! No fun...
Hope tomorrow shows me some results. Again, it's not miserable, just uncomfortable. But that rolling pin thing was about as close to misery as Kathy Bates.

Go Away
02-21-12, 8:57 am
More sore and tight this morning than any of the days following when I dropped the weight on my leg. WTF?

rockyIV
02-22-12, 10:29 am
Ha... I've done that and wondered later why the hell my leg hurts only in one spot. It will go away soon enough

C.Coronato
02-22-12, 10:41 am
Thats like when someone give you a dead leg. Shit is no fun. Def foam rolling or some deep tissue massage should help.

Bruiser
02-22-12, 11:18 am
More sore and tight this morning than any of the days following when I dropped the weight on my leg. WTF?

If the rolling pin trick made it more sore, that means it's helping. Keep at it. Rolling pin, foam roll and stretch. You'll work it out. Up your water intake too.

Go Away
02-23-12, 7:41 am
Rolled and rolled it last night after a brutal leg workout. If I had the bread i'd get deep tissue massages all the time. My wife's too dainty to really get in there... Says it hurts her fingers haha. Oh well. This too shall pass. Appreciate the advice, and will consume another gallon of water the next couple days. Fuckin Charlie horse, man....