PDA

View Full Version : Training to Cut

abucci58@gmail.com
02-25-12, 12:03 pm
What's the deal with training while cutting? 90% of what I've learned/read says not to change up your routine. For example, I feel that I get the best results when I keep my sets to 3-5 reps on my main exercise, and 8 reps on secondary exercises. The exception would be cable exercises, which I always try to hit 12 reps with.

For Example, Chest day would be something like

Flat Bench: warmups (usually 3 sets, Bar, 135, 225)
5 sets of 5 at a weight that I cannot do 5 sets of 5 at (meaning once I am able to do 5 sets of 5 I will increase the weight)
1 set of 2 or 3

Incline: 3 sets of 8 reps, increasing the weight each set (Even if I can't get 8 alone, I always make sure I hit 8 with my spotter's help or working the negative)

Decline: Same as Incline

Pec Fly Machine: 3 sets of 12, increasing

Cable crossovers: 3 sets of 12, increasing

So should I switch to 12-15 reps on everything while cutting, or is what I have read correct in that I should keep with my normal routine?

Carrnage
02-27-12, 10:24 pm
What's the deal with training while cutting? 90% of what I've learned/read says not to change up your routine. For example, I feel that I get the best results when I keep my sets to 3-5 reps on my main exercise, and 8 reps on secondary exercises. The exception would be cable exercises, which I always try to hit 12 reps with.

For Example, Chest day would be something like

Flat Bench: warmups (usually 3 sets, Bar, 135, 225)
5 sets of 5 at a weight that I cannot do 5 sets of 5 at (meaning once I am able to do 5 sets of 5 I will increase the weight)
1 set of 2 or 3

Incline: 3 sets of 8 reps, increasing the weight each set (Even if I can't get 8 alone, I always make sure I hit 8 with my spotter's help or working the negative)

Decline: Same as Incline

Pec Fly Machine: 3 sets of 12, increasing

Cable crossovers: 3 sets of 12, increasing

So should I switch to 12-15 reps on everything while cutting, or is what I have read correct in that I should keep with my normal routine?

Why are you using 2-5 reps? Your looking for muscular size? Or strength? And don't say both.

What ever built muscle on your body, is what you do to maintain, id actually suggest less overall volume when cutting. (to keep muscles full and CNS no where near an overloaded state)

Obviously I can go more in depth with Hypertrophy/CNS but id be sitting here for an hour. Right now I just don't have the time. (if you guys would like to me to make a "maximizing hypertrophy" article tell me!, soon ill have a day to myself when I can get back to all your guy's emails/questions)

Carrnage
02-27-12, 10:26 pm
My Q and A won't be as active due to me not having time anymore, but soon I will have some time to myself(later this week!), so if you got a question come shoot a Q in my Q and A thread!

C.Coronato
02-28-12, 3:39 pm
I usually keep my training exactly the same when cutting down for a bb show. I train heavy and keep my reps from 8-12 and then sometimes ill throw in dropsets and forced.

GUNS
03-01-12, 4:17 am
I usually keep my training exactly the same when cutting down for a bb show. I train heavy and keep my reps from 8-12 and then sometimes ill throw in dropsets and forced. Agree here. Should change diet and add cardio.

abucci58@gmail.com
03-01-12, 10:55 pm
Why are you using 2-5 reps? Your looking for muscular size? Or strength? And don't say both.

What ever built muscle on your body, is what you do to maintain, id actually suggest less overall volume when cutting. (to keep muscles full and CNS no where near an overloaded state)

Obviously I can go more in depth with Hypertrophy/CNS but id be sitting here for an hour. Right now I just don't have the time. (if you guys would like to me to make a "maximizing hypertrophy" article tell me!, soon ill have a day to myself when I can get back to all your guy's emails/questions)

Well prior to starting my cutting I was going for size. The lower rep thing I never believed in - I always kept my sets at 8 reps at a minimum, with the exception of a heavy set here and there - but then I read a good book about training for mass, which suggested the method of using 2-5 reps. After plateauing for a while using the 8 reps, I said fuck it and tried the 3-5 rep thing. My gains with that have been great so far, both in strength and mass, probably because it is a new "shock" to my system. I have also found that my muscular endurance has not suffered at all using the 3-5 rep method, it has increased if anything.

Chizz
03-05-12, 4:30 pm
Well prior to starting my cutting I was going for size. The lower rep thing I never believed in - I always kept my sets at 8 reps at a minimum, with the exception of a heavy set here and there - but then I read a good book about training for mass, which suggested the method of using 2-5 reps. After plateauing for a while using the 8 reps, I said fuck it and tried the 3-5 rep thing. My gains with that have been great so far, both in strength and mass, probably because it is a new "shock" to my system. I have also found that my muscular endurance has not suffered at all using the 3-5 rep method, it has increased if anything.

Switching up training is good, but that is a drastic change, which should be applied for no more than 2-3 weeks. Then go back to previous protocol. If what youre wanting to accomplish is hypertrophy, then 8-12 reps is key. Like what he said above, for cutting, do what you usually do and just add in drop sets, sets for time instead of reps, increase reps slightly..maybe 2-3 more reps on most exercises, etc. hope helps