PDA

View Full Version : Forearm building

zubda345
02-26-12, 2:04 pm
When I started with bodybuilding I used to do alot of Wrist curls and Reverse wrist curls, and I think The work showed it's progress well. I have some what "good" forearm and I can clearly see the muscle separation when I flex it but it's not big and I have not trained them regularly with my arms like I used to, and the only exercises I know for forearms are wrist curls and reverse wrist curls. I want to built up Forearms like Wrath's. I was thinking if there is anything else that can be done along with wrist curls to built up forearms, it would be great.
And what about pintching the weight plates for as long as I can. Will that help?
Also post up how do you people train your forearms.

mritter3
02-26-12, 2:13 pm
Lift heavy weights, if u use straps...ditch them, I have heard good things about fat grips, I like hanging from pullup bar with dip belt on or db between legs and hang on for dear life...oh and as for wraths...great genes help

Solid Dreams
02-26-12, 2:28 pm
Lift heavy weights, if u use straps...ditch them, I have heard good things about fat grips, I like hanging from pullup bar with dip belt on or db between legs and hang on for dear life...oh and as for wraths...great genes help

If you do deads without straps hold it until you drop on the last rep.

Wrath91
02-26-12, 3:26 pm
The best thing to do is to tick with simple forearm exercises as wrist curls of any type, and do deads without straps,because then your forearms take much more focus then with straps.Then you will gain more power and strength in your forearms and with that strength size will come.I got pretty insane forearms myself,I can recommend you my split for them, which is just wrist curls and I do them with arms, and after I finish back,but don't focus them too much ,I do like 3 -4 sets because you can easily overtrain them if you are doing more sets , because when you train arms or back them got almost full pump just from that.

BryanSmash!
02-26-12, 5:33 pm
Use a thicker barbell.
Also, if your lower arms are a weak point, do them first on your arm day instead of last.

zubda345
02-27-12, 12:46 pm

If you do deads without straps hold it until you drop on the last rep.

OK But I still am suffering from the back injury which was caused by deads some months ago, so I don't think I will be doing heavy deads (only if I did deads I will use real light weight for rehab) but I'll still hold it on the last rep for as long as I can. I can't hang for too long but I'll try that too. And I RARELY use straps...

The best thing to do is to tick with simple forearm exercises as wrist curls of any type, and do deads without straps,because then your forearms take much more focus then with straps.Then you will gain more power and strength in your forearms and with that strength size will come.I got pretty insane forearms myself,I can recommend you my split for them, which is just wrist curls and I do them with arms, and after I finish back,but don't focus them too much ,I do like 3 -4 sets because you can easily overtrain them if you are doing more sets , because when you train arms or back them got almost full pump just from that.

Yeah I also used to do just 2-3 sets of wrist curls and 2-3 sets of reverse wrist curls when I used to train em and I did them only with arms cause I think that's where they are needed to be done and suit the most.

Use a thicker barbell.
Also, if your lower arms are a weak point, do them first on your arm day instead of last.

You mean if I have weak forearms I should train em 1st? ahhh I remember this is what Kai Greene does... My forearms were v weak a long while ago thats y I trained them... and still want to (but they ain't that weak now)

And I alwats use fat bar for forearms exercises...

Thankx for the replies guys.

Aggression
02-27-12, 1:04 pm
Farmer's Walks. Just grab a heavy pair of dumbells and walk with them until you can't hang on anymore. Leave out straps until the heaviest of sets. Grip the bar hard when squatting, benching, and deadlifting.

mritter3
02-27-12, 1:11 pm
Farmer's Walks. Just grab a heavy pair of dumbells and walk with them until you can't hang on anymore. Leave out straps until the heaviest of sets. Grip the bar hard when squatting, benching, and deadlifting.

nice suggetion on the farmer walks...forgot about them...brutal, yet effective

zubda345
02-28-12, 11:36 am

nice suggetion on the farmer walks...forgot about them...brutal, yet effective

Ok I'll look forward to grip the bars harder while doing exercises..

I only once saw a video of Farmer's walk... But I never payed attention toward it...

Aggression
02-28-12, 11:42 am
I only once saw a video of Farmer's walk... But I never payed attention toward it...

nothing to really learn, dude. Just grab heavy dumbbells and start walking. Forearms will be on fire. Finish the workout with a couple trips.

zubda345
02-29-12, 1:43 am
nothing to really learn, dude. Just grab heavy dumbbells and start walking. Forearms will be on fire. Finish the workout with a couple trips.

Alright brother... I'll do it today with Back and Bi's, and see how it goes...

GUNS
03-01-12, 4:06 am
http://www.universalusa.com/Users/Members/GUNS/Videos/The-GUN-Show/Forearms

DEADn
03-01-12, 11:47 am
In that like I see alot of hypertrophy but isn't a good mix of high volume and low volume good for the forearms? Doesn't hypertrophy only blow them up like a balloon but the muscle strength isn't quite there?

zubda345
03-01-12, 12:33 pm
http://www.universalusa.com/Users/Members/GUNS/Videos/The-GUN-Show/Forearms

In that like I see alot of hypertrophy but isn't a good mix of high volume and low volume good for the forearms? Doesn't hypertrophy only blow them up like a balloon but the muscle strength isn't quite there?

Internet connection is v slow at the moment... I will look up the vid and post a reply about that soon...

Yesterday I did forearms like this, Gym is actually v small so there's no room to walk around while holding weight, but still I held weight and kept moving whereever I could and also stood still did it 3 times till my grips gave out,,, Forearms were on fire... and after that I did 2 sets of each reverse wrist curls and Wrist curls...

TigerAce01
03-01-12, 7:29 pm
To me, "working" the forearms directly is a waste of time. Any person I have ever seen that had huge forearms was BORN with them. They are an odd bodypart, just like abs, they are extremely resilient to exercise...meaning that it is very hard to add size that you aren't genetically predisposed to.

Just lift heavy and stop worrying about the tiny shit. Once you're 300lbs and ripped, the small things will still be bigger than everyone else's.

-Ace

GUNS
03-02-12, 10:35 am
How will you know your genetic potential if you dont work them. Im sure people would look great if they did no direct work on the small stuff. Attention to the small details is what seperates the men from the boys. And having conversation over on Wraths thread, he used to do direct forearm work. He did stop that because his genetics took over and they grew like a weed. But if someone has a weak spot, why would they not hit them directly?

TigerAce01
03-02-12, 12:19 pm
Until you reach a certain level of hugeness, worrying about the small shit isn't necessary. I guarantee if you never "directly" work your forearms, but keep up with heavy barbell curls, rows, chins, and pulls, your forearms will grow just fine. I have a six pack and never do any direct ab work...it's pretty much the same with forearms. The forearms are designed to be involved with anything dealing with your upper body, in which case, your forearms are being hit all the time. Also, as I said before, they are so resilient to exercise, you can work them ALL the time, and they probably won't respond much to direct work due to the decreased workload they can handle...are you telling me everyone wrist curls as much as they row??? Just by doing your back work, you hit your forearms hard.

-Ace

Appollonian
03-02-12, 12:29 pm
Tiger and GUNS I see what you are both saying.

However if dude wants big forearms, why not work on them. You are saying not to worry about forearms unless you are a beast, but whats the harm?

Like you said some people naturally have 6 packs no problem. I have one myself, but its because I have killed my abs for years with direct work. Just cause it works for one it might not for another.

Zubda I would do what has been said: do your back work without straps, do Farmer walks, and if you can without hurting your training for other lifts do ditect work.

zubda345
03-02-12, 12:52 pm
To me, "working" the forearms directly is a waste of time. Any person I have ever seen that had huge forearms was BORN with them. They are an odd bodypart, just like abs, they are extremely resilient to exercise...meaning that it is very hard to add size that you aren't genetically predisposed to.

Just lift heavy and stop worrying about the tiny shit. Once you're 300lbs and ripped, the small things will still be bigger than everyone else's.

-Ace

Until you reach a certain level of hugeness, worrying about the small shit isn't necessary. I guarantee if you never "directly" work your forearms, but keep up with heavy barbell curls, rows, chins, and pulls, your forearms will grow just fine. I have a six pack and never do any direct ab work...it's pretty much the same with forearms. The forearms are designed to be involved with anything dealing with your upper body, in which case, your forearms are being hit all the time. Also, as I said before, they are so resilient to exercise, you can work them ALL the time, and they probably won't respond much to direct work due to the decreased workload they can handle...are you telling me everyone wrist curls as much as they row??? Just by doing your back work, you hit your forearms hard.

-Ace

I do get what you are saying Ace, I do know by experience that forearms are involved in almost every exercise like bench, rows or even curls... And I also know that when one gets HUGE he don't need to worry about the smaller parts as they are trained along with all the heavy movements he does. It's been about a year (until day before yesterday) since I trained my forearms and to tell the truth they have been the same, I can see that even not training them directly they are growing/defined due to other exercises I do... But I know that I am not even close to HUGE and I don't think think there is any harm in doing a little forearms work at the end of workout once a week or once/two weeks.

How will you know your genetic potential if you dont work them. Im sure people would look great if they did no direct work on the small stuff. Attention to the small details is what seperates the men from the boys. And having conversation over on Wraths thread, he used to do direct forearm work. He did stop that because his genetics took over and they grew like a weed. But if someone has a weak spot, why would they not hit them directly?

Tiger and GUNS I see what you are both saying.

However if dude wants big forearms, why not work on them. You are saying not to worry about forearms unless you are a beast, but whats the harm?

Like you said some people naturally have 6 packs no problem. I have one myself, but its because I have killed my abs for years with direct work. Just cause it works for one it might not for another.

Zubda I would do what has been said: do your back work without straps, do Farmer walks, and if you can without hurting your training for other lifts do ditect work.

As far as genetics go, I know my genetics are shit. I don't have naturally big forearms, calves abs or anyother bodypart... Idk they might be good and I could not be able to see them at the moment, but until then I think I should really concentrate on every muscle small, big doesnt matter. But I am also not saying that I am going to do direct forearms work regularly I might do it once in a week or once in two weeks... It depends on the mood and the training that day...