PDA

View Full Version : Smoothballer's Cage 2012 Experience

smoothballer
03-05-12, 2:12 pm
Pics

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.634483972156.2088858.28500920&type=3

Thursday

Me and my bro (freighttraindan) and I decided we were going to take off work early on Thursday and make the drive down to C-Bus. We got down there about 5:30 and checked into our hotel, changed, and headed over to Metro to meet the Chi-town boys for some training. My bro, Nix, and I hit some heavy bench. As soon as we walked in the door we saw other Animals and it was like the year hadn't even been in between the last Arnold. We then headed over to Max and Erma's for some burgers and of course a couple plates of cookies. Best part was that the waitress didn't charge us for the 3 plates we had...score.

Friday

Got up and headed over to the gyro shop in the food court of the Hyatt. Everyone gets in line for Chicken and Eggs ro Subway but this place makes ridiculous omelets and has the nicest people working there. We waited on the side of the Expo and watched the Amateur Strongman events until the doors were opened. We then made a bee-line to the Cage to get our Cage shirts and VIP Box passes. Good thing we didn't mess around because they were gone pretty quick. Immediately walking into the Cage, Family hit my mind. It was all hugs, hand shakes, and fist bumps with all the people that I hadn't seen in awhile. Didn't matter who it was, a fellow FORVM member, pro, or guy from corporate. I had the honor of weight loading and spotting for Seath and Randal during their squatting show. Ben's 800 x 2 with only a belt and knee wraps was insane. The whole day was blur but an awesome one. We headed over to Metro again and a bunch of us powerlifters were working on our pump with some shoulders and biceps. Stuff we haven't done in a loooooong time. We were saving up for Saturday's deadlift session. We hit up up BD's for some epic food and crashed for the night with massive food baby.

Saturday

I had the honor of being an intern on Saturday so I headed to the Cage early to help set up shop...after my omelet of course. Things were calm and then the doors opened. It was a feeding frenzy. The Cage shirts went literally by 9:05 AM. We were selling the LE shirts, hats, and beanies just as fast. My intern job was the floater so I helped out in the Shop for awhile and made my way to the Box and AV area to help out. I was able to see Richard Hawthorne hit the 610 for 4.5 reps at 135, and Byrd squatting 500+ with no hands, as well as the Westside guys benching insane numbers. Hoff got up to 945 off a 1 board! The Shop was selling stuff so fast that by the afternoon all we had left were 2XL and 3XL shirts, Rage, and a few straggling sups. Interning was hard work but so rewarding. I would do it again in an instant. Saturday night was the National ABC and it started off right with everyone doing a toast together of Rage. It was insanity from then on. I hit up one of the few deadlift areas with Aggs, Nix, Bam Bam, Phil, Standing Guard, and a couple others. The weights were moving up fast as the energy soared. I didn't hit my PR like I wanted but know I gotta keep my ass down now. The food after was damn tasty too. There is no atmosphere in any gym like the one of the National ABC at Metro...there is no comparison AT ALL.

Sunday

We got up early and watched my wife run the Arnold 5K. I am so proud of her for sticking to racing while being pregnant. Dedication. Sunday's highlights were Skiba's Powerlifting seminar and Powerswitch and Crew's heavy ass weights show. Learned a lot from Skiba and was damn impressed by the lifts in the next seminar. We caught a little bit of Ox's seminar and had to hit the road. It was bitter sweet to leave the Cage that last time. It was such an amazing weekend, but it had to end sometime so we said our goodbyes, gave hugs, fist bumps and hand shakes just as the weekend started. That is it right there. A lot of people come to the Arnold for all the free samples and free tees, but the Cage is such a different experience for us. It is all about Family and Brotherhood. Til next year...

Kowboy
03-05-12, 2:21 pm
It was nice meeting you, it was such a great time.

smoothballer
03-05-12, 2:22 pm
It was nice meeting you, it was such a great time.

Great meeting you too bro

Razor
03-05-12, 2:23 pm
Great seeing you again homie! Helluva time!

shortstack
03-05-12, 2:25 pm
Nice write up brother. And congrats on the baby. I probably missed it if you already told everyone but that's awesome. Next couple of years
we can start getting rooms close by so all our kids can hang out and play together. haha

Great to see you and the family again and if I ever get over your way before next year I'll let you know.

Jeremy

smoothballer
03-05-12, 2:25 pm
Great seeing you again homie! Helluva time!

You too bud. Amazing weekend for sure

D-NUTZ
03-05-12, 2:45 pm
Nice to see you again my man.

smoothballer
03-05-12, 3:10 pm
Nice write up brother. And congrats on the baby. I probably missed it if you already told everyone but that's awesome. Next couple of years
we can start getting rooms close by so all our kids can hang out and play together. haha

Great to see you and the family again and if I ever get over your way before next year I'll let you know.

Jeremy

Always great to see you J. Gonna have to coordinate a Chi-town ABC or something. i didn't really make this grand announcement on the boards so you didn't miss anything.

Nice to see you again my man.

Same to you D

Universal Rep
03-05-12, 3:29 pm
Pics

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.634483972156.2088858.28500920&type=3

Thursday

Me and my bro (freighttraindan) and I decided we were going to take off work early on Thursday and make the drive down to C-Bus. We got down there about 5:30 and checked into our hotel, changed, and headed over to Metro to meet the Chi-town boys for some training. My bro, Nix, and I hit some heavy bench. As soon as we walked in the door we saw other Animals and it was like the year hadn't even been in between the last Arnold. We then headed over to Max and Erma's for some burgers and of course a couple plates of cookies. Best part was that the waitress didn't charge us for the 3 plates we had...score.

Friday

Got up and headed over to the gyro shop in the food court of the Hyatt. Everyone gets in line for Chicken and Eggs ro Subway but this place makes ridiculous omelets and has the nicest people working there. We waited on the side of the Expo and watched the Amateur Strongman events until the doors were opened. We then made a bee-line to the Cage to get our Cage shirts and VIP Box passes. Good thing we didn't mess around because they were gone pretty quick. Immediately walking into the Cage, Family hit my mind. It was all hugs, hand shakes, and fist bumps with all the people that I hadn't seen in awhile. Didn't matter who it was, a fellow FORVM member, pro, or guy from corporate. I had the honor of weight loading and spotting for Seath and Randal during their squatting show. Ben's 800 x 2 with only a belt and knee wraps was insane. The whole day was blur but an awesome one. We headed over to Metro again and a bunch of us powerlifters were working on our pump with some shoulders and biceps. Stuff we haven't done in a loooooong time. We were saving up for Saturday's deadlift session. We hit up up BD's for some epic food and crashed for the night with massive food baby.

Saturday

I had the honor of being an intern on Saturday so I headed to the Cage early to help set up shop...after my omelet of course. Things were calm and then the doors opened. It was a feeding frenzy. The Cage shirts went literally by 9:05 AM. We were selling the LE shirts, hats, and beanies just as fast. My intern job was the floater so I helped out in the Shop for awhile and made my way to the Box and AV area to help out. I was able to see Richard Hawthorne hit the 610 for 4.5 reps at 135, and Byrd squatting 500+ with no hands, as well as the Westside guys benching insane numbers. Hoff got up to 945 off a 1 board! The Shop was selling stuff so fast that by the afternoon all we had left were 2XL and 3XL shirts, Rage, and a few straggling sups. Interning was hard work but so rewarding. I would do it again in an instant. Saturday night was the National ABC and it started off right with everyone doing a toast together of Rage. It was insanity from then on. I hit up one of the few deadlift areas with Aggs, Nix, Bam Bam, Phil, Standing Guard, and a couple others. The weights were moving up fast as the energy soared. I didn't hit my PR like I wanted but know I gotta keep my ass down now. The food after was damn tasty too. There is no atmosphere in any gym like the one of the National ABC at Metro...there is no comparison AT ALL.

Sunday

We got up early and watched my wife run the Arnold 5K. I am so proud of her for sticking to racing while being pregnant. Dedication. Sunday's highlights were Skiba's Powerlifting seminar and Powerswitch and Crew's heavy ass weights show. Learned a lot from Skiba and was damn impressed by the lifts in the next seminar. We caught a little bit of Ox's seminar and had to hit the road. It was bitter sweet to leave the Cage that last time. It was such an amazing weekend, but it had to end sometime so we said our goodbyes, gave hugs, fist bumps and hand shakes just as the weekend started. That is it right there. A lot of people come to the Arnold for all the free samples and free tees, but the Cage is such a different experience for us. It is all about Family and Brotherhood. Til next year...

Hard work but rewardin'. Says it all.

Nix0r
03-05-12, 3:59 pm
Just remember. Cable side laterals for SUPREME SEX APPEAL!

smoothballer
03-05-12, 4:23 pm
Just remember. Cable side laterals for SUPREME SEX APPEAL!

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/417298_634484521056_28500920_33102023_1966016229_n .jpg

RedlegDbell
03-05-12, 9:47 pm
Awsome summary SB. Hope to see you, the rest of the C-town crew, and a bunch of other Animals at the new Iron Asylum this spring or summer.

smoothballer
03-06-12, 7:37 am
Awsome summary SB. Hope to see you, the rest of the C-town crew, and a bunch of other Animals at the new Iron Asylum this spring or summer.

For sure

Phil800101
03-07-12, 12:49 am
Great to see you again bro! Awesome as always.

Chase "BIG COUNTRY" Browning
03-07-12, 1:19 am
Thanks for the hookup on Gyros man. Shit was leggiittt.

smoothballer
03-07-12, 7:51 am
Great to see you again bro! Awesome as always.

Same here Phil

Thanks for the hookup on Gyros man. Shit was leggiittt.

That place doesn't fuck around. When I was dieting last year they made me a 12 egg white and chicken omelet...ridiculously good and much better than +20 bucks for some runny eggs at a buffet.

Aggression
03-07-12, 9:29 am
ASS DOWN! haha. Good times, my man. Just remember to pull with your hamstrings and legs first, then yank it back.

smoothballer
03-07-12, 9:54 am
ASS DOWN! haha. Good times, my man. Just remember to pull with your hamstrings and legs first, then yank it back.

You mean my legs aren't supposed to be straight and my lower back fully rounded?!?!?

Mr. Dead
03-07-12, 1:32 pm
It was great to see ya, again...!!!

smoothballer
03-07-12, 4:06 pm
It was great to see ya, again...!!!

Same to you MD

C.Coronato
03-09-12, 3:44 pm
Good seeing you again bro. Keep up the hard work. Great pics too! Thank you for everything in the Shop.

Aggression
03-09-12, 3:52 pm
You mean my legs aren't supposed to be straight and my lower back fully rounded?!?!?

Its a full deadlift. Not a still legged one, lol. Don't worry, bro. I still have the same issue when it comes to ~500lbs. My chest falls in and I bomb out.

smoothballer
03-09-12, 3:56 pm
Good seeing you again bro. Keep up the hard work. Great pics too! Thank you for everything in the Shop.

It was an honor to work beside the people working the Shop including you C.

Its a full deadlift. Not a still legged one, lol. Don't worry, bro. I still have the same issue when it comes to ~500lbs. My chest falls in and I bomb out.

I figure if I can do 445 with almost stiff legs, I should be up towards 500 if I can figure out how to get my legs involved. #ChallengeAccepted