PDA

View Full Version : alphagrrrrl's Cage experience

alphagrrrrl
03-07-12, 11:26 pm
Ok, so first I have to say thanks to my training partner and friend, Sam Byrd for bringing me to The Arnold for the first time a few years ago...although, my main reason for coming was to meet my future husband, Lou Ferrigno :)

The last few years have been incredible, and this year somehow exceeded anything I could've ever imagined. Getting to squat in The Cage was such an unreal experience, and I'm still trying to process it all. I know a lot of you have seen me around The Cage for the past couple of years, and probably didn't even know that I lift. I ended up squatting 600lbs with reverse bands which was a huge PR for me. Going into it, I was feeling beat up and over-trained, so I had no idea what I'd be able to do. I always forget what adrenaline does for lifting. Needless to say, I was pumped full of adrenaline and felt really strong! I can't thank everyone enough for the support and for giving me this amazing opportunity.

Here's video of my squats: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoiUDCTQDMo

The most incredible thing I saw was, of course, Sam's no hands squats. I've been training with Sam for a few years, and he always out does himself. I'm so proud of him for all he's accomplished this year with injuries, bodybuilding, law school, and still breaking records! We're both leaving Memphis soon, and I'm gonna miss him so freakin much!

It was so great to see everyone again! It's always such a sad feeling when it's over. Going back to real life sucks! I can't wait until next year!!!

I'll try to get the rest of my videos and pics posted as soon as I can.

smoothballer
03-08-12, 8:12 am
Your 600 lbs squat was very impressive.

Aggression
03-08-12, 8:43 am
Ah, now I'm able to put a face to the name! I've seen you post on here but I wasn't sure who you were .. until this post with the attached video, haha. I'll be sure to properly introduce myself next time! Glad you had a great time at the Cage and thanks for putting on an awesome show!

J-Dawg
03-08-12, 9:11 am
alphagrrrrl great to see you again this year and way to go on that huge PR in The Cage. That's super impressive weight!

Powerswitch
03-08-12, 1:19 pm
It was so much fun hanging with you this past weekend Ambre...We had a blast last year and even though my lifting wasn't up to par, this year still topped last...Thank you for stepping up and rocking it on Sunday...With Dave and Hoss injured I needed someone to light things up and keep things rolling...You did just that and in doing so you helped motivate my wife and draw her back to a sport where she belongs...She has unfinished business in this awesome sport and you helped bring out her fire again...THANK YOU...It was an honor to share the cage with you...God bless...Bobby

freighttraindane
03-08-12, 1:32 pm
Awesome showing in the Cage Ambre. Good luck in your upcoming meet!

alphagrrrrl
03-08-12, 4:13 pm
It was so much fun hanging with you this past weekend Ambre...We had a blast last year and even though my lifting wasn't up to par, this year still topped last...Thank you for stepping up and rocking it on Sunday...With Dave and Hoss injured I needed someone to light things up and keep things rolling...You did just that and in doing so you helped motivate my wife and draw her back to a sport where she belongs...She has unfinished business in this awesome sport and you helped bring out her fire again...THANK YOU...It was an honor to share the cage with you...God bless...Bobby

It was awesome seeing you guys again. We always have so much fun!! I can't begin to tell you how thankful I am for giving me the opportunity to lift with you guys. Lifting in the cage has been a dream of mine, and I honestly was not sure if it would ever happen. I am so proud of Kathy for getting back under the bar. She really killed it out there and it was great to see her passion come back. As soon as I get settled in Cincinnati, I'm gonna make a trip out to PA to see you guys!

alphagrrrrl
03-08-12, 4:19 pm
Your 600 lbs squat was very impressive.
Thank you so much! I'm still pretty shocked I was able to do it :)

Ah, now I'm able to put a face to the name! I've seen you post on here but I wasn't sure who you were .. until this post with the attached video, haha. I'll be sure to properly introduce myself next time! Glad you had a great time at the Cage and thanks for putting on an awesome show!
I'm super shy, so I'm bad about introducing myself...we'll make it happen for sure next time! I had a blast and I really appreciate the support from everyone.

alphagrrrrl great to see you again this year and way to go on that huge PR in The Cage. That's super impressive weight!
Great to see you too! Thanks for the compliment. I hope to do something even bigger next time!

Awesome showing in the Cage Ambre. Good luck in your upcoming meet!
Thank you!!! It was so cool to be able to do what I love and actually hit a PR at the same time!

Universal Rep
03-08-12, 5:56 pm
Thank you!!! It was so cool to be able to do what I love and actually hit a PR at the same time!

Ima guessin' it's easy to do in the CAGE. Wonder if the vibe is the same as at a powerliftin' meet...

alphagrrrrl
03-08-12, 6:15 pm
Ima guessin' it's easy to do in the CAGE. Wonder if the vibe is the same as at a powerliftin' meet...

It depends on the meet. If it's a big one and the crowd is actually getting excited, it makes it a lot easier. In The Cage there's like a gazillion people cheering for you, so it's more intense.

Vinny G
03-09-12, 3:03 pm
OK so the CAGE is THE place to be at the EXPO, it's a man's booth....a lot of grunting and lifting.

My loud mouth on the mic to get things rolling, it's fast paced and full of energy. LOTS of big mother fuckers moving some (as HOSS said) STUPID weight.

Put aside all the big lifts -

The one big lift that impressed me more than Anything....Was Amber Squating 600 lbs

Now that was awesome.

On the mic i said that i never knew what she could do, and that i have a whole new found respect for her.

C.Coronato
03-09-12, 4:20 pm
Good to see you again and see you KILL some weights! VERY motivational!!

alphagrrrrl
03-09-12, 4:37 pm
OK so the CAGE is THE place to be at the EXPO, it's a man's booth....a lot of grunting and lifting.

My loud mouth on the mic to get things rolling, it's fast paced and full of energy. LOTS of big mother fuckers moving some (as HOSS said) STUPID weight.

Put aside all the big lifts -

The one big lift that impressed me more than Anything....Was Amber Squating 600 lbs

Now that was awesome.

On the mic i said that i never knew what she could do, and that i have a whole new found respect for her.

OMG, thank you so much for the support, Vinny! I've come a long way in the past year. I had a severe back injury that forced me to take a year off of lifting, and my docs said squatting big would probably not happen for me again. I finally started back in the gym last summer and within 10 weeks did my first meet in over a year and half. I did a lot better than I planned, and things are just getting better and better! My back is still giving me problems, especially with deadlifting, but as long as I squat and bench big, I don't have to deadlift much for a good total :)

I got invited to go train with Laura Phelps at her gym, The Sweatt Shop, so I'm in the process of moving to Cincinnati right now. She and her husband want me to squat 800 sometime in the next year or so, so next year if I get the opportunity to lift in the cage again, I'll have something even bigger for you guys!

Thanks again for everything!!!

alphagrrrrl
03-09-12, 4:41 pm
Good to see you again and see you KILL some weights! VERY motivational!!

Thank you, Christian!! It was good to see you again, too!

Big Al
03-10-12, 1:16 am
Did you say shy??LOL
Nice squattin.

RedlegDbell
03-10-12, 1:41 am
Gotta say you'll be the baddest Animal in Cincinnati. Looking forward to it Ambre. And yes, you freakin killed it in the Cage. That was incredible.

deanna7272
03-10-12, 10:39 am
Ambre... Being honest here, I was a little confused when you first came to the Cage, not knowing who ya were, why you were there, and I didn't know how to make a connection with ya. In NO way did I mean to come off as judgemental, but I couldn't figure ya out (as IF that's my JOB, but being a girl, you know it happens...lmao) Being able to connect with you here, in The Cage and on FB, I'm so glad that I have had the opportunity to learn more about ya.

Getting to see you do your thing in the Cage was amazing. You are my hero chica ;)... I try to learn a little more each year about powerlifting and seeing you ladies in there intrigues me because it's so different from what I know.

I wish you the best in your upcoming lifts... I hope to get to some meets to see how things are done. I am in awe by it all and would love to show more support!!

Phil800101
03-11-12, 2:16 pm
Really sick squatting Ambre! Very impressive.

Awesome seeing ya and getting to shoot the shit with you again, and good luck with the move!

Big Byrd
03-11-12, 7:13 pm
Ok, so first I have to say thanks to my training partner and friend, Sam Byrd for bringing me to The Arnold for the first time a few years ago...although, my main reason for coming was to meet my future husband, Lou Ferrigno :)

The last few years have been incredible, and this year somehow exceeded anything I could've ever imagined. Getting to squat in The Cage was such an unreal experience, and I'm still trying to process it all. I know a lot of you have seen me around The Cage for the past couple of years, and probably didn't even know that I lift. I ended up squatting 600lbs with reverse bands which was a huge PR for me. Going into it, I was feeling beat up and over-trained, so I had no idea what I'd be able to do. I always forget what adrenaline does for lifting. Needless to say, I was pumped full of adrenaline and felt really strong! I can't thank everyone enough for the support and for giving me this amazing opportunity.

Here's video of my squats: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoiUDCTQDMo

The most incredible thing I saw was, of course, Sam's no hands squats. I've been training with Sam for a few years, and he always out does himself. I'm so proud of him for all he's accomplished this year with injuries, bodybuilding, law school, and still breaking records! We're both leaving Memphis soon, and I'm gonna miss him so freakin much!

It was so great to see everyone again! It's always such a sad feeling when it's over. Going back to real life sucks! I can't wait until next year!!!

I'll try to get the rest of my videos and pics posted as soon as I can.

See, thats how i feel every year! No matter how beat down and weak i feel, the CAGE unleashes the Animal within! It creates a surge of energy and focus and that is rarely matched. To experience it is surreal, there is no real way to describe it to someone, they just dont understand- it has to be experienced.

Your squats looked great! Ur form was on and depth was much better, but u know u gotta get down about 2-3 inches. I know you can get there, u just needed a day like that to boost your confidence with the weight and KNOW you can own it. I see that one day leading to many new PRs and increased confidence with ur back and technique as the meet approaches.

and u know i luv ya and my door is always open to u! (but i dont know why u would wanna go to chatt! haha)

twoheadedboy
03-12-12, 12:44 am
It was great meeting you and seeing you lift. I had no idea about the injury, and how would I with no background and a 600lb squat? Keep it up and I'm sure you'll have that 800 in no time!

alphagrrrrl
03-12-12, 1:43 pm
Did you say shy??LOL
Nice squattin.

ALLEN! Hush! Haha, you should know how shy I am...we didn't even talk till the last night of the Arnold a couple years ago!

Gotta say you'll be the baddest Animal in Cincinnati. Looking forward to it Ambre. And yes, you freakin killed it in the Cage. That was incredible.

Thanks so much!!! I din't know you were in the Cincy area!! Hell yeah, we'll have to have an ABC as soon as I get moved up there! I'll see about maybe having it Laura's gym. They are closed on Sundays, so that might be a good day to do it. I'll sub to the Cincy area thread.

Ambre... Being honest here, I was a little confused when you first came to the Cage, not knowing who ya were, why you were there, and I didn't know how to make a connection with ya. In NO way did I mean to come off as judgemental, but I couldn't figure ya out (as IF that's my JOB, but being a girl, you know it happens...lmao) Being able to connect with you here, in The Cage and on FB, I'm so glad that I have had the opportunity to learn more about ya.

Getting to see you do your thing in the Cage was amazing. You are my hero chica ;)... I try to learn a little more each year about powerlifting and seeing you ladies in there intrigues me because it's so different from what I know.

I wish you the best in your upcoming lifts... I hope to get to some meets to see how things are done. I am in awe by it all and would love to show more support!!

Aaaaw, Deanna, I don't even get myself sometimes :) I know the way I look sometimes throws people off, but I'm about as boring as they come. My entire life is lifting, naps (not even kidding...I schedule my naps in every day), school, and work. I know a lot of people think I must party a lot and stuff like that, but I honestly would much rather stay in on a weekend night and recover from heavy squats.

I'm really glad we were able to finally connect!

Really sick squatting Ambre! Very impressive.

Awesome seeing ya and getting to shoot the shit with you again, and good luck with the move!

Thanks again, Phil! It was great seeing you again! Now that I'll be up north, maybe I can come to one of your ABCs!

See, thats how i feel every year! No matter how beat down and weak i feel, the CAGE unleashes the Animal within! It creates a surge of energy and focus and that is rarely matched. To experience it is surreal, there is no real way to describe it to someone, they just dont understand- it has to be experienced.

Your squats looked great! Ur form was on and depth was much better, but u know u gotta get down about 2-3 inches. I know you can get there, u just needed a day like that to boost your confidence with the weight and KNOW you can own it. I see that one day leading to many new PRs and increased confidence with ur back and technique as the meet approaches.

and u know i luv ya and my door is always open to u! (but i dont know why u would wanna go to chatt! haha)

Sam, I seriously can't thank you enough. You've been coaching me for a few years now and just being able to have your expertise has made me such a better lifter. A lot of people don't know this, but before we started training together, I was struggling to squat 300 raw...after a few months of learning how to actually squat, I did that meet and squatted 405 raw! I couldn't have done it without you!!!

After the Cage, I'm feeling so much more confident in my lifts. Shit, I never even thought about unracking 600, let alone moving with it. I know I have to work on depth (and a lot of other stuff), but I'm feeling a lot better with it, after last weekend. There really are no words to describe the electricity in the Cage. I wish all of my meets were like that!

Jesse is pissed that I'm moving up north, but now I'll actually be closer to you guys in Chatt. I can't wait to get the hell out of Memphis!!! You and Faith are going to have to come visit me!

It was great meeting you and seeing you lift. I had no idea about the injury, and how would I with no background and a 600lb squat? Keep it up and I'm sure you'll have that 800 in no time!

Thank you!!! Yeah, I was injured at last years Arnold, so I didn't do much at the ABC. I would've been healed up a lot quicker, but I rushed it and got back in the gym too soon, so I set myself back several more months...powerlifters aren't known for their patience or smartness in recovering from injuries :) I'll most likely end up needing surgery at some point, but I'm just glad that I'm still able to do what I love and live for!

Thanks again for all the support from everyone! You guys have no idea how much it means to me!

Big Al
03-12-12, 9:07 pm
For those who missed this girls lift.........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoiUDCTQDMo&list=UUJm-Qo7_olO-Jn_FvM_cPNw&index=1&feature=plcp

Don't try this at home(unless your a bad motherf*%ker)

tark
03-12-12, 9:28 pm
that was some pretty bad ass shit getting to watch you squat that much...very impressive....i was also pumped when i saw your gauges were that big and made mine look girly hahaha and lastly if your moving to cincy it would be awesome to get a lift in with you some day.....

Phil800101
03-12-12, 10:50 pm
Thanks again, Phil! It was great seeing you again! Now that I'll be up north, maybe I can come to one of your ABCs!

That would be awesome! I know just the place...Quads South, home of Ed Coan.

alphagrrrrl
03-13-12, 11:32 am
For those who missed this girls lift.........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoiUDCTQDMo&list=UUJm-Qo7_olO-Jn_FvM_cPNw&index=1&feature=plcp

Aaaaaw, thank you big guy :)

Don't try this at home(unless your a bad motherf*%ker)

that was some pretty bad ass shit getting to watch you squat that much...very impressive....i was also pumped when i saw your gauges were that big and made mine look girly hahaha and lastly if your moving to cincy it would be awesome to get a lift in with you some day.....

HAHAHA! There are not very many people crazy enough to gauge their ears out as much as I have. I'll let you know when I get to Cincy, and you are more than welcome to come lift with me sometime!

That would be awesome! I know just the place...Quads South, home of Ed Coan.

That sounds like a badass plan! I'm down for sure!!!

tark
03-13-12, 11:53 am
[QUOTE=alphagrrrrl;1206528]HAHAHA! There are not very many people crazy enough to gauge their ears out as much as I have. I'll let you know when I get to Cincy, and you are more than welcome to come lift with me sometime

That would be awesome ill keep in contact with ya!

Phil800101
03-13-12, 5:00 pm
That sounds like a badass plan! I'm down for sure!!!

Hell yeah!

Big Byrd
03-13-12, 6:15 pm
ALLEN! Hush! Haha, you should know how shy I am...we didn't even talk till the last night of the Arnold a couple years ago!

Sam, I seriously can't thank you enough. You've been coaching me for a few years now and just being able to have your expertise has made me such a better lifter. A lot of people don't know this, but before we started training together, I was struggling to squat 300 raw...after a few months of learning how to actually squat, I did that meet and squatted 405 raw! I couldn't have done it without you!!!

After the Cage, I'm feeling so much more confident in my lifts. Shit, I never even thought about unracking 600, let alone moving with it. I know I have to work on depth (and a lot of other stuff), but I'm feeling a lot better with it, after last weekend. There really are no words to describe the electricity in the Cage. I wish all of my meets were like that!

Jesse is pissed that I'm moving up north, but now I'll actually be closer to you guys in Chatt. I can't wait to get the hell out of Memphis!!! You and Faith are going to have to come visit me!

I say it all the time, PL is just as much about confidence with the weight as it is strength, if not more. Glad to see u finally getting it back!

Big Al
03-14-12, 4:41 pm
I love you sam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHA

alphagrrrrl
03-14-12, 4:56 pm

I love you sam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHA

SAMUEL and ALLEN! You are both DEAD MEAT!!!
Sam, just wait till I see you in the gym next time. You're gonna get it!

naturalguy
03-14-12, 5:02 pm
Amazing lifts and I enjoyed our brief chat over BBQ chicken

THE EXTREME
03-15-12, 12:57 am
Yea, i would have to say you and eric were great to watch on the squat in between our awesome deadlifting exhibition!!! You BEASTED right through that 600!!!! Cant wait till im back under the bar again, this time without a purple hamstring!!!!!

alphagrrrrl
03-16-12, 2:02 am
Yea, i would have to say you and eric were great to watch on the squat in between our awesome deadlifting exhibition!!! You BEASTED right through that 600!!!! Cant wait till im back under the bar again, this time without a purple hamstring!!!!!
Thanks, David! I love watching you guys lift. You guys always put on such an intense show! I hope the hammy heals up quick!!!

Big Byrd
03-23-12, 11:33 am
SAMUEL and ALLEN! You are both DEAD MEAT!!!
Sam, just wait till I see you in the gym next time. You're gonna get it!

I should be safe for a while then! haha

When are u coming back. We are trying to get the gym to have a team for SPF nats and get a cabin... yes, we are really gonna show up this time! haha