PDA

View Full Version : What is Weakness?

Cellardweller
03-08-12, 5:15 pm
Today I did not hit all my prescribed sets let alone reps due to my injury. Is that weak? Is lack of progression weak? I pay my dues every week. Wednesday chest, Thursday legs, Saturday shoulders and Sunday back without fail. Even with all the recient deaths in my family I have managed to get it done. That is not weak. That is overcoming my circumstances in life to get done what needs to be done. Is an injury weakness? No. Shit happens but an injury can be telling of a weakness that needs to be addressed. In my case, my lower back. Once on the mend you know I will unleash hell to destroy that weakness and be stronger. What is weakness? Ignoring the problem is weak. Ignoring my back will not make it go away and will make all my lifts suffer for it. Ignoring my back will invite another, possibly worse injury. This is true of life as well. Do not ignore your problems or difficulties. If its money, relationships or that funny noise your car makes. Ignoring it is weak. Be strong. Be the one that people know they can count on. Will it be easy? Fuck no. Just like in the gym, there's dues to be paid and respect to be gained.

Kowboy
03-08-12, 8:58 pm
+1

Cellardweller
03-10-12, 12:33 pm
What is weakness? Knowing what you have to do and not doing it. Got my cardio in. I talk shit all the time about doing it and I never do it. Done with that. That trash is getting taken out. It's not just about loosing weight it's about having a strong heart and lungs. That can affect my lifts too.

Cellardweller
03-10-12, 2:02 pm
What are you not doing brothers? Cardio? Abs? Calves? Hell, are you skipping out on legs altogether? How's that diet? It's Easter time, did the Cadbury Bunny take a crap on your diet? Are those Peeps laughing it up as you devour them like a wolf in the hen house? What is that thing you're not doing to be the biggest and best Animal you can be? Share with us and pledge to stamp out weakness. Declare it here and stand up and be strong.

Kowboy
03-11-12, 2:08 pm
What are you not doing brothers? Cardio? Abs? Calves? Hell, are you skipping out on legs altogether? How's that diet? It's Easter time, did the Cadbury Bunny take a crap on your diet? Are those Peeps laughing it up as you devour them like a wolf in the hen house? What is that thing you're not doing to be the biggest and best Animal you can be? Share with us and pledge to stamp out weakness. Declare it here and stand up and be strong.

Diet is what I can't seem to get 100%. I fuck it up every weekend it seems.

Cellardweller
03-11-12, 4:18 pm
Diet is what I can't seem to get 100%. I fuck it up every weekend it seems.

Forgive yourself and move on T. Do whatever is necessary to defeat this. Cook ahead of time and prepakage stuff in the fridge if you have to. Tomorrow you will be bigger and stronger than you are today.

Cellardweller
03-11-12, 4:22 pm
What is weakness? The attitude you take when faced with a given situation. As soon as you say "I can't," you won't. Period. "I can't do 2 more reps." "I can't put 10 more pounds on that bar." "I can't eat another bite of eggs." Don't bitch out. A good old fashioned can do attitude will get you far. Light the fires brothers. Accept each challenge with your head up and an Animal prowling in your chest. Thirst for it. Hunger for it. And be proud when you succeed.

TigerAce01
03-11-12, 4:49 pm
Weakness is not finishing what you set out to do. Reliability is the fastest dwindling trait these days.

-Ace

Cellardweller
03-11-12, 5:02 pm
Weakness is not finishing what you set out to do. Reliability is the fastest dwindling trait these days.

-Ace

Well said.

Cellardweller
06-02-12, 8:36 pm
When I was reading articles last week Machine or maybe G Diesel said in one something about how some guys can only think about moving up a 45 at a time. He's so right. It's all the little 2.5 and 5lb plates that make you strong. You have to nickle and dime that shit every week to build to up to those waggon wheels. Take heed brothers. I'm 39 years old and I'm just realizing the truth. I had amazing strength gains doing 5x5 last year and this is what stalled me. I thought it was overtraining from not deloading. What killed me was reaching too far. Really, looking back the last 7-8 months I learned alot. I started 5/3/1 and, again, from an article from Machine, I learned the importance of warm up sets. Not just for warming up your muscles, but for establishing your stance, where your grip is going to be and just your general set up prior to banging away at your working sets. You can't go to war without a plan. Don't kid yourself, every time you get under a bar it's fucking war. Funky really opened my eyes to where my weaknesses lay. That opened my eyes to training my lift and not so much the muscle group. You don't just do more bench press to build up your bench press. Bench is my best lift. Thinking back I know why. Yes I favored it above all other lifts in my youth. But when I bought my first house I really trained for my bench in the basement gym. I would do lots of pushups first. Not just pushups, but diamond pushups and hands close to my lower ribs and clapping pushups. Clapping pushups are awesome for explosive power. Then after benching I'd do dips, close grips and I'd put my feet on a chair with a 45 on my lap and do dips with my hands behind me on the bench. Hell, I'd try to add weight on top of that plate. The hard part was keeping it from sliding off. I was training my bench back then and didn't even realize it. I'd be a fucking beast today if I had known better what I was doing and trained my other lifts like that. Some of this shit seems pretty fucking obvious, but once you're in the gym that other part of your brain tends to take over. Leaving your ego at the door is sometimes easier said than done. Even when you're by yourself. The big plates start looking pretty sexy, but its a trap. Move up a little at a time, week by week and soon all the small change will add up to a bill. Build your accessories. Build strength. One brick at a time. That's almost cliche around here, but it's loaded with truth in more ways than one. There's so much to learn on the FORVM. Even from just a single sentence in some of the articles are gems of knowledge. Seeing how others train to meet their goals, even if they are different from your own boosts your knowledge base. I'd like to give a special shout out to Sprint and Funky for having such a huge impact on my training as well as all the brothers who share my weekly struggles to get huge and strong. We all take away something from each other and I hope some of you can take away from this. Peace.

DMachine
06-03-12, 10:50 am
What is weakness? Knowing what you have to do and not doing it. Got my cardio in. I talk shit all the time about doing it and I never do it. Done with that. That trash is getting taken out. It's not just about loosing weight it's about having a strong heart and lungs. That can affect my lifts too.

Guilty as charged. Cardio is something I constantly overlook, telling myself its a waste of precious callories when trying to add mass. But as you said, its not just a tool for cuting weight, and recently I have been feeling out of breath from the most simplest of work. Time to stop cheating myself and give new power to my lifts through improvement of lung capacity. Time to realize the truth! Stay true /D

Cellardweller
06-03-12, 2:49 pm
Gotta keep each other honest. I've fallen off the cardio waggon again myself. Picking that up this week.

Sprint
06-03-12, 6:19 pm
When I was reading articles last week Machine or maybe G Diesel said in one something about how some guys can only think about moving up a 45 at a time. He's so right. It's all the little 2.5 and 5lb plates that make you strong. You have to nickle and dime that shit every week to build to up to those waggon wheels. Take heed brothers. I'm 39 years old and I'm just realizing the truth. I had amazing strength gains doing 5x5 last year and this is what stalled me. I thought it was overtraining from not deloading. What killed me was reaching too far. Really, looking back the last 7-8 months I learned alot. I started 5/3/1 and, again, from an article from Machine, I learned the importance of warm up sets. Not just for warming up your muscles, but for establishing your stance, where your grip is going to be and just your general set up prior to banging away at your working sets. You can't go to war without a plan. Don't kid yourself, every time you get under a bar it's fucking war. Funky really opened my eyes to where my weaknesses lay. That opened my eyes to training my lift and not so much the muscle group. You don't just do more bench press to build up your bench press. Bench is my best lift. Thinking back I know why. Yes I favored it above all other lifts in my youth. But when I bought my first house I really trained for my bench in the basement gym. I would do lots of pushups first. Not just pushups, but diamond pushups and hands close to my lower ribs and clapping pushups. Clapping pushups are awesome for explosive power. Then after benching I'd do dips, close grips and I'd put my feet on a chair with a 45 on my lap and do dips with my hands behind me on the bench. Hell, I'd try to add weight on top of that plate. The hard part was keeping it from sliding off. I was training my bench back then and didn't even realize it. I'd be a fucking beast today if I had known better what I was doing and trained my other lifts like that. Some of this shit seems pretty fucking obvious, but once you're in the gym that other part of your brain tends to take over. Leaving your ego at the door is sometimes easier said than done. Even when you're by yourself. The big plates start looking pretty sexy, but its a trap. Move up a little at a time, week by week and soon all the small change will add up to a bill. Build your accessories. Build strength. One brick at a time. That's almost cliche around here, but it's loaded with truth in more ways than one. There's so much to learn on the FORVM. Even from just a single sentence in some of the articles are gems of knowledge. Seeing how others train to meet their goals, even if they are different from your own boosts your knowledge base. I'd like to give a special shout out to Sprint and Funky for having such a huge impact on my training as well as all the brothers who share my weekly struggles to get huge and strong. We all take away something from each other and I hope some of you can take away from this. Peace.

Thanks for the shout out right there my man, we've all got so much to take from, & give to, each other.

This shit has inspired me & has given me the pep-up that I fucking needed right at this moment in time.

DMachine
06-04-12, 12:33 am
Gotta keep each other honest. I've fallen off the cardio waggon again myself. Picking that up this week.

"Nobody trips over mountains. It is the small pebble that causes you to stumble. Pass all the pebbles in your path and you will find you have crossed the mountain."

Stay true /D

Cellardweller
06-04-12, 6:06 am
Thanks for the shout out right there my man, we've all got so much to take from, & give to, each other.

This shit has inspired me & has given me the pep-up that I fucking needed right at this moment in time.
Giving credit where it's due my friend.

"Nobody trips over mountains. It is the small pebble that causes you to stumble. Pass all the pebbles in your path and you will find you have crossed the mountain."

Stay true /D

It's a long journey

DMachine
06-04-12, 12:25 pm
Giving credit where it's due my friend.

It's a long journey

Indeed, its a long journey that's hard to walk. But truthfully, would you want it any other way? We who make a living of going against the grain thrive of the knowledge that what we do is just that, hard to do and not for everyone. Don't you agree?

Stay true /D