PDA

View Full Version : Powerlifters, I had a question...

Universal Rep
03-08-12, 5:58 pm
It liftin' in the CAGE (and for those who hit PRs) the same or diff than bein' at an actual powerliftin' meet? When I see the crowds in the vids, I've always wondered...

alphagrrrrl
03-08-12, 6:13 pm
It liftin' in the CAGE (and for those who hit PRs) the same or diff than bein' at an actual powerliftin' meet? When I see the crowds in the vids, I've always wondered...

I always get a huge adrenaline pump at powerlifting meets, but lifting in The Cage was like a whole new level of adrenaline. Also with meets, by the end of the day I'm pretty worn out after 9 max effort lifts.

ghost
03-08-12, 11:37 pm
one of the best things about lifting in the cage close to a meet is that 99% of the Powerlifters in the cage are slinging info back and forth, and are doing the proper "Press"/"Squat"/"Rack" commands so the lifter knows how long to hold the weight

Justin Randal
03-09-12, 12:57 am
There are def more people watching you when you're in The Cage and at most meets there are 40-50 lifters and the crowd typically will typically sit there for as long as 10 hours depending on how well the meet is run. So the energy in the room is typically good throughout about half of the meet and wares down through the final hours of the day. The energy in The Cage was great as spectators only formed for each specific lift/seminar. This provided a very unique lifting experience for me as the crowd was thick and the energy was awesome for each lift!!

P.S. Having a mono was awesome! Way to go the extra mile!!

P Diesel
03-09-12, 1:16 am
Justin, way to come in and make a mark right off the bat homey. G and i were watchin u bench and talkin about how explosive u are. big things out of u to come my friend. good gettin to talk with ya when we were hung up waitin for arnold to walk passed ... twice

P

HIGA MONSTER
03-09-12, 1:39 am
I think its more exciting in The Cage, compared to a actual contest.

The only contest that may be the exception is when Seath308 and I battled to the end at the USAPL Washington State Champs.

The Cage has a rep...and only the hardcore fans know what I'm talking about.
The electricity is unreal. And when you wow the fans with jaw-dropping feats of strength, the effects are felt for years.

Remember when that guy HIGA deadlifted so many reps?
Remember when HIGA squatted 405 lbs for 24 reps?

These are comments that have been thrown my way ever since my first Cage. And I will never forget them.

HIGA MONSTER

Ragin Asian
03-09-12, 10:27 am
Definitely a huge and very different rush lifting in the Cage compared to doing a meet - in so many ways it is far more fun and exciting. The mental focus and adrenaline rush needed to perform in a meet pretty much has to come from within. In the Cage, the fans cheering and the atmosphere seriously increases that rush with little effort by the lifter alone. I personally feel that lifting in the Cage in front of a large crowd allows us to push further and shoot for greater lifts/PR's. It's not because we're not being judged by officials, but because our lifts are being viewed by a much larger audience who show support. In a meet, you either have it or you don't - being in the Cage makes you feel you have it and can have fun with it.

Enforcer
03-09-12, 11:16 am
I always look foreard to seeing the insane weights that guys always throw up in the Cage, you dont see that shit anywhere else at the Expo

BamBam
03-09-12, 11:42 am
I think it's kind of an old "to each his own" type thing. For me, the CAGE is once a year... three days of madness and insanity blended in a perfect setting of like minded "Animals." It's my vacation of sorts to get away with guys like me and to see people I may only get to once a year. Plus, the venue itself is HUGE! Like Justin Randal said... there are only a handful (around 50 or so) people (lifters and family/friends) at a meet but at the Arnold/Cage, there are 50 people waiting to take a piss. So, it is an awesome experience to get in there and get that rush of adrenaline and rage when put on display because it's really a one shot deal. However, each meet, in whatever federation, state, city, etc... is unique and a challenge all it's own. I get the same adrenaline rush when I set foot on the platform or when I am doing a strongman meet as I did when I had the honor of lifting at the Cage, or at the National ABC. Plus, a meet is different in the fact that you have (or SHOULD) have some sort of plan of action going into it. Set rep ranges, percentages, lifting methods (ie. 5/3/1, WSBB, Sheiko, etc), along with whatever else all coming together to produce what is hoped to be a higher total. The great thing about the Cage is, it's kind of like a "man the fuck up" meet. You may or may not know you are lifting there, but no matter what, YOU'RE LIFTING... so ou either go big, or go home crying. If I bomb a meet, oh well, nobody has to know, but if I bomb at the cage...... everyone knows. A meet you get those three attempts. At the cage, time is money and you only get one go. SO, I guess before I continue to ramble, a meet itself and the CAGE environment are two COMPLETELY different things with a ton of similarities. Both hold a place of honor and hold different rewards for a job well done.

alphagrrrrl
03-09-12, 11:57 am
I personally feel that lifting in the Cage in front of a large crowd allows us to push further and shoot for greater lifts/PR's. It's not because we're not being judged by officials, but because our lifts are being viewed by a much larger audience who show support. In a meet, you either have it or you don't - being in the Cage makes you feel you have it and can have fun with it.

That's the damn truth!

Universal Rep
03-09-12, 12:12 pm
There are def more people watching you when you're in The Cage and at most meets there are 40-50 lifters and the crowd typically will typically sit there for as long as 10 hours depending on how well the meet is run. So the energy in the room is typically good throughout about half of the meet and wares down through the final hours of the day. The energy in The Cage was great as spectators only formed for each specific lift/seminar. This provided a very unique lifting experience for me as the crowd was thick and the energy was awesome for each lift!!

I think its more exciting in The Cage, compared to a actual contest.

Definitely a huge and very different rush lifting in the Cage compared to doing a meet - in so many ways it is far more fun and exciting. The mental focus and adrenaline rush needed to perform in a meet pretty much has to come from within. In the Cage, the fans cheering and the atmosphere seriously increases that rush with little effort by the lifter alone. I personally feel that lifting in the Cage in front of a large crowd allows us to push further and shoot for greater lifts/PR's. It's not because we're not being judged by officials, but because our lifts are being viewed by a much larger audience who show support. In a meet, you either have it or you don't - being in the Cage makes you feel you have it and can have fun with it.

Interestin... That's wut I thought. So the CAGE is a bigger stage wut with all the folks outside the fence and also thru the livestream...

Justin Randal
03-09-12, 1:01 pm
Justin, way to come in and make a mark right off the bat homey. G and i were watchin u bench and talkin about how explosive u are. big things out of u to come my friend. good gettin to talk with ya when we were hung up waitin for arnold to walk passed ... twice

P

Thanks P! It was good meeting you as well as the rest of the crew. This was an awesome experience that I'll never forget!!

P Diesel
03-10-12, 2:40 pm
Interestin... That's wut I thought. So the CAGE is a bigger stage wut with all the folks outside the fence and also thru the livestream...

MUch bigger stage!! I've lifted in front of more ppl physically present at an event but never in such close quarters with an army of brothers in ur ear. HIGA is exactly right, not much rivals the intensity, it's electric.

P

Big Byrd
03-11-12, 7:21 pm
The Cage is by far more intense than a PL meet. The energy and focus it draws out has been unmatched in any competition or training session ive ever had.