PDA

View Full Version : Where to get chains for training??

RedlegDbell
03-10-12, 3:51 pm
I train at a "Fitness Center" and there are no chains to be found. However, I think if I brought some in JT wouldn't have a problem with them occupying the corner. Where did you all score the chains you train with? Am I looking at $20 to $50, or $100s? Thanks for any and all input gang.

smoothballer
03-10-12, 3:58 pm
I know EliteFTS has chains but check with ghost to see where he got his.

Bruiser
03-10-12, 4:47 pm
Check your hardware store! Helluva lot cheaper and no shipping. That's what I did.

BigChrisF
03-10-12, 4:52 pm
To get a decent amount of weight is going to cost you. I live in the middle of the us, so I got mine on sale from a tractor supply store. The larger diameter chains were gettin pretty pricey per pound, so I opted to get more 3/8 inch chain. If you live near a coast or other large body of water, a harbor supply store would be a good place to get some heavy chain for comparatively cheap. Elitefts.com has chain sets that are ready to use but they are really pricey. You should shoot for at least 100 lbs of chain.

Bruiser
03-10-12, 4:58 pm
To get a decent amount of weight is going to cost you. I live in the middle of the us, so I got mine on sale from a tractor supply store. The larger diameter chains were gettin pretty pricey per pound, so I opted to get more 3/8 inch chain. If you live near a coast or other large body of water, a harbor supply store would be a good place to get some heavy chain for comparatively cheap. Elitefts.com has chain sets that are ready to use but they are really pricey. You should shoot for at least 100 lbs of chain.

This is great advice. My hardware store didn't have 3/4" chain so I bought 3/8" and doubled it up. Cost me about $1-2 lb. I got 30 lbs now and am picking up another 30 this week probably. EliteFTS is great but their shipping is ridiculous on chain! Almost doubles the cost.

RedlegDbell
03-10-12, 5:56 pm
Awesome! Thanks everyone. I appreciate the info and will see what I can find out.

C.Coronato
03-12-12, 4:08 pm
Places like Home Depot and Loews (big home improvement stores) not sure if they are by you, but they usually sell them for pretty cheap too. No need for elite FTS chains. A chain is a chain, it all does the same thing.

JUGGERNAUT
03-12-12, 4:27 pm
Big Wides here told me once to get them at a shipyard supplier. Those chains can be plain massive!

BigChrisF
03-12-12, 10:10 pm
If you really want to save money, you can get pieces of iron from a scrapyard and tie them with knots along some rope to mimic the loading/unloading of chain. It doesn't feel the same as lifting chain does, but it follows the principle at heart.