PDA

View Full Version : What would I see better results with?

AJP1
03-11-12, 11:23 am
CYCLE: 3 Days Per Week
LEVEL: Novice To Intermediate
GOAL: Introduction To Bodybuilding

Legs
• Leg Presses: 3 Sets x 12 Reps
• Leg Curls: 2 Sets x 12 Reps
• Standing Calf Raises: 2 Sets x 12 Reps

Chest/Shoulders
• Flat Barbell Bench Presses:
2 Sets x 10 Reps
• Barbell Shoulder Presses:
2 Sets x 10 Reps

Back
• Front Pulldowns: 2 Sets x 10 Reps
• Barbell Rows: 2 Sets x 10 Reps

Arms
• Barbell Curls:
2 Sets x 10 Reps
• Lying Tricep Extensions:
2 Sets x 10 Reps

other

• Ab Crunches: 2 Sets x 10 Reps
• Aerobic Training: 20 minutes of low
intensity aerobic

Monday: ON

Tuesday: OFF

Wednesday: REPEAT

Thursday: OFF

Friday: REPEAT

Saturday: OFF

Sunday: OFF

or

CYCLE: Two Days On, One Day Off, One Day On, One Day Off, One Day On, One Day Off

LEVEL: Intermediate
GOAL: Muscle Size And Strength

Monday: Chest/Biceps

Chest
• Dumbbell Presses: 4 Sets x 8 Reps
• Flat Bench Presses: 4 Sets x 8 Reps
• Flat Dumbbell Flyes: 3 Sets x 8 Reps
• Cable Crossovers: 2 Sets x 12 Reps

Biceps
• Barbell Curls: 3 Sets x 8 Reps
• Close EZ Bar Curls: 3 Sets x 8 Reps

Tuesday: Legs

• Leg Curls: 4 Sets x 10 Reps
• Leg Extensions: 4 Sets x 10 Reps
• Leg Presses: 4 Sets x 12 Reps
• Squats: 4 Sets x 12 Reps
• Stiff Legged Deadlifts: 4 Sets x 12 Reps

Wednesday: OFF

Thursday: Back/Calves

Back
• Barbell Shrugs: 3 Sets x 10 Reps
• High Pulls: 3 Sets x 10 Reps
• Rear Shrugs: 3 Sets x 10 Reps
• Reverse Barbell Rows: 3 Sets x 10 Reps
• T-Bar Rows: 3 Sets x 10 Reps
• Dumbbell Rows: 3 Sets x 10 Reps

Calves
• Standing Calf Raises: 4 Sets x 12 Reps
• Seated Calf Raises: 4 Sets x 12 Reps

Friday: OFF

Saturday: Shoulders/Triceps

Shoulders
• Machine Laterals: 3 Sets x 10 Reps
• Dumbbell Laterals: 3 Sets x 10 Reps
• Side Dumbbell Laterals: 3 Sets x 10 Reps

Triceps
• Dumbbell Presses: 3 Sets x 10 Reps
• Tricep Pressdowns: 3 Sets x 10 Reps
• Barbell Presses: 3 Sets x 10 Reps

Sunday: OFF

Just want feed back on which routine would elicit better results.....

Bruiser
03-11-12, 11:32 am
Congrats on admitting your a novice/beginner. Most guys make the mistake of thinking they know it all. But you did make the other fatal error. You're over thinking it. There is the old saying K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Stupid (no offense meant here). Since you are a novice, you need to stop reading, stop studying, get off the forums and just lift and eat. Too many young guys are too worried about getting advice how to do something perfectly where they should be worried about just doing something at all. Stop worrying so much and just pick a split and hit it hard and heavy for a month or two and see how it's going. Once you've done that, come back with some numbers for us and we can see about helping you tweak your split a little. Good luck with this and I can't wait to see how you progress. Later bro.

AJP1
03-11-12, 12:05 pm
Yeah Ive been lifting for a bit, just looking to get a better response on my growth.
I didnt know should I be trying to hit a full body or just once a week, thats the part I was stressed about.....

Bruiser
03-11-12, 12:09 pm
Split it up as much as possible. If you hit too many muscle in one day, you can't have as intense of a session if you're just blasting 1-2 parts. NEVER do a full body session. NEVER, repeat NEVER. We don't build size/strength in the gym, we so that while we recover. If you hit full body a couple times a week, you can't recover.

AJP1
03-11-12, 12:43 pm
Split it up as much as possible. If you hit too many muscle in one day, you can't have as intense of a session if you're just blasting 1-2 parts. NEVER do a full body session. NEVER, repeat NEVER. We don't build size/strength in the gym, we so that while we recover. If you hit full body a couple times a week, you can't recover.

Thank you Bruiser...
I was in my beginner stage when any and everything was working haha.... now not so much...
Thats why I was looking for a routine...

If thats the case why do they suggest it to some1 at the itermediate level?

AJP1
03-11-12, 3:32 pm
Im thinking that 4 day split might be a little bit better for me...

Dosekel
03-11-12, 6:51 pm
Like Bruiser said keep it simple,

So here's what i'd do (i'm not pro, nor the best, nor whatever, just giving your my own opinion)

Note : I didn't make up a all new training just moved some things around
So I'd rather do

On chest/bi
Flat bb press 5 sets
Incline db 4 sets
Flat db flyes 3 sets + 1 dropset
Biceps, that's good i guess

On legs
SQUATS
SLDL or LEGPRESS (for the order that actually up to you, leg press gives me a mad pump in the quads so i got difficulty to lock my knee for sldl after (lasts like 5-10min mad burning pump) so that's up to you)
Finishing with leg curls and leg ext

Also i'd rather go 8-10 reps on heavy legs lifts and 12-15 on lighter but that's just my own opinion again

On back-calves
Reverse bb rows (4sets)
T-bar row / db row you choose one (4sets)
Wide pulls (4 sets)
do a superset for shrugs (doesn't ask you tons of energy, 3 sets)

Calves : do them in superset but that's up to you (4 sets)

Shoulders/triceps
Seated shoulder press (4sets)
Db side raises (3sets)
Rear deltoid exercise (3sets)
Triceps try to drop in skullcrushers they're fantastic, close grip bench press if you're able to isolate it and finish with some cable pushdowns or even dips whatever you like, you can mix it around

BY THE WAY, it's just a suggestion but i found it pretty weird for a "beginner" to begin by small groups/isolation exercise just to pre-exhaust but hey that's my own opinion, let me know !

Tron
03-12-12, 11:03 am
Congrats on admitting your a novice/beginner. Most guys make the mistake of thinking they know it all. But you did make the other fatal error. You're over thinking it. There is the old saying K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Stupid (no offense meant here). Since you are a novice, you need to stop reading, stop studying, get off the forums and just lift and eat. Too many young guys are too worried about getting advice how to do something perfectly where they should be worried about just doing something at all. Stop worrying so much and just pick a split and hit it hard and heavy for a month or two and see how it's going. Once you've done that, come back with some numbers for us and we can see about helping you tweak your split a little. Good luck with this and I can't wait to see how you progress. Later bro.

I disagree. I think he should get a mentor and somebody to guide him. There are too many mistakes to make if you do not have somebody who has put enough time and effort into acquiring the knowledge. It's about knowing where to get the knowledge from... With that being said, I agree with the rest. Splits shouldn't be changed sooner than 2 months if the effort to develop them was there. Eating and lifting are the keys.

Like Bruiser said keep it simple,

So here's what i'd do (i'm not pro, nor the best, nor whatever, just giving your my own opinion)

Note : I didn't make up a all new training just moved some things around
So I'd rather do

On chest/bi
Flat bb press 5 sets
Incline db 4 sets
Flat db flyes 3 sets + 1 dropset
Biceps, that's good i guess

On legs
SQUATS
SLDL or LEGPRESS (for the order that actually up to you, leg press gives me a mad pump in the quads so i got difficulty to lock my knee for sldl after (lasts like 5-10min mad burning pump) so that's up to you)
Finishing with leg curls and leg ext

Also i'd rather go 8-10 reps on heavy legs lifts and 12-15 on lighter but that's just my own opinion again

On back-calves
Reverse bb rows (4sets)
T-bar row / db row you choose one (4sets)
Wide pulls (4 sets)
do a superset for shrugs (doesn't ask you tons of energy, 3 sets)

Calves : do them in superset but that's up to you (4 sets)

Shoulders/triceps
Seated shoulder press (4sets)
Db side raises (3sets)
Rear deltoid exercise (3sets)
Triceps try to drop in skullcrushers they're fantastic, close grip bench press if you're able to isolate it and finish with some cable pushdowns or even dips whatever you like, you can mix it around

BY THE WAY, it's just a suggestion but i found it pretty weird for a "beginner" to begin by small groups/isolation exercise just to pre-exhaust but hey that's my own opinion, let me know !

Add in deads and this would be pertty dang close to my advice. Probably add in some military in there.

Pre-exhausting techniques should be added in later more towards the advanced stage. With Beginner/Intermediate there is too much growth that can be stifled with getting too fancy early-on.

Dosekel
03-12-12, 12:37 pm
Haha yeah i thought about deads but they werent there so i didnt add it, and i meant seated db military press ! Thanks

AJP1
03-13-12, 8:15 am
Thx for te feedback.

We are saying to stay on a split longer than 2 months to see how progress goes?

JoshLandry
03-13-12, 8:33 am
IMHO there is no "beginner " split or workout I think that's all garbage. If I was to take you under my wing I would put u on the same routine I'm currently doing just adjust the weights to your level of strength. I've worked with many beginners and have done this and they all get GREaT FAST results. if you want to be big you have to lift to be big. and that doesn't mean heavy as hell with shitty form it means lots of volume lots of sets not 2 exercises for back and that's it you should be doing 5-6 exercises for back it's one of your biggest muscle groups same with legs. I did about 26 sets of quads last night all rep ranges in the 20 plus. all I'm gettin at is you should train how you wanna look and with that said train like an animal! this is an example workout of mine

Legs
Lying hamstring curls- 5 sets of 12-15 reps
Romanian deadlifts- 3 sets of 12-15 reps
Squats- 4 sets of 8-10 reps
Leg press- 4 sets of 20-25 reps
Single leg leg press- 3 sets of 15 reps done continuous without break, so you just keep alternating legs.
oLex extensions- 5 sets of 20-25 reps
Chest
Incline Barbell press- 4 sets of 10-12 reps
Hammer strength Incline- 4 sets of 8-10 reps
Incline dumbbell flys- 4 sets of 12-15 reps
Cable crossovers- 4 sets of 12-15 reps
Standing cable curls- 3 sets of 20 reps with 30 sec break in between setss
Back
Lat pull downs to the front- 4 sets of 12-15 reps
underhand barbell rows 4 sets of 8-10 reps
1 arm dumbbell rows- 3 sets of 8-10 reps
Underhand pull downs- 3 sets of 12-15 reps
Seated pulley rows with v grip- 3 sets of 15 reps
Shoulders
Seated DB lateral raise- 4 sets of 10-12 reps
Seated DB press- 4 sets of 8-10 reps
Cable side lateral raise (very light) 4 sets of 20-25 reps
Reverse pec deck- 4 sets of 15-20 reps
Arms
Strait bar pushdowns- 3 sets of 15-20 reps
Overhead dumbbell extensions- 3 sets of 8-10 reps
Rope pushdowns- 3 sets of *20-25 reps
Single arm reverse grip pushdowns- 3 sets of 20 reps
Alternating dumbbell curls- 3 sets of 10-12 reps
Concentration curls- 3 sets of 15-20 reps
Hammer curls- 3 sets of 10-12 reps
21’s with a strait bar 3 sets
Make sure you still train your abs once a week and calves hard twice a week
Donkey calve raises- 3 sets of 12-15 reps
Seated calve raises – 3 sets of 12-15 reps
Standing calve raises- 3 sets of 25-30 reps

JoshLandry
03-13-12, 8:33 am
also I train 3 one one off 2 on 1 off

AJP1
03-13-12, 4:46 pm
IMHO there is no "beginner " split or workout I think that's all garbage. If I was to take you under my wing I would put u on the same routine I'm currently doing just adjust the weights to your level of strength. I've worked with many beginners and have done this and they all get GREaT FAST results. if you want to be big you have to lift to be big. and that doesn't mean heavy as hell with shitty form it means lots of volume lots of sets not 2 exercises for back and that's it you should be doing 5-6 exercises for back it's one of your biggest muscle groups same with legs. I did about 26 sets of quads last night all rep ranges in the 20 plus. all I'm gettin at is you should train how you wanna look and with that said train like an animal! this is an example workout of mine

Legs
Lying hamstring curls- 5 sets of 12-15 reps
Romanian deadlifts- 3 sets of 12-15 reps
Squats- 4 sets of 8-10 reps
Leg press- 4 sets of 20-25 reps
Single leg leg press- 3 sets of 15 reps done continuous without break, so you just keep alternating legs.
oLex extensions- 5 sets of 20-25 reps
Chest
Incline Barbell press- 4 sets of 10-12 reps
Hammer strength Incline- 4 sets of 8-10 reps
Incline dumbbell flys- 4 sets of 12-15 reps
Cable crossovers- 4 sets of 12-15 reps
Standing cable curls- 3 sets of 20 reps with 30 sec break in between setss
Back
Lat pull downs to the front- 4 sets of 12-15 reps
underhand barbell rows 4 sets of 8-10 reps
1 arm dumbbell rows- 3 sets of 8-10 reps
Underhand pull downs- 3 sets of 12-15 reps
Seated pulley rows with v grip- 3 sets of 15 reps
Shoulders
Seated DB lateral raise- 4 sets of 10-12 reps
Seated DB press- 4 sets of 8-10 reps
Cable side lateral raise (very light) 4 sets of 20-25 reps
Reverse pec deck- 4 sets of 15-20 reps
Arms
Strait bar pushdowns- 3 sets of 15-20 reps
Overhead dumbbell extensions- 3 sets of 8-10 reps
Rope pushdowns- 3 sets of *20-25 reps
Single arm reverse grip pushdowns- 3 sets of 20 reps
Alternating dumbbell curls- 3 sets of 10-12 reps
Concentration curls- 3 sets of 15-20 reps
Hammer curls- 3 sets of 10-12 reps
21’s with a strait bar 3 sets
Make sure you still train your abs once a week and calves hard twice a week
Donkey calve raises- 3 sets of 12-15 reps
Seated calve raises – 3 sets of 12-15 reps
Standing calve raises- 3 sets of 25-30 reps

Like your way of thinking...
Any reason on why you suggest mostly incline for chest.

JoshLandry
03-13-12, 5:24 pm
Like your way of thinking...
Any reason on why you suggest mostly incline for chest.

Yes my reason for only incline is because It will still work you mid chest but most of us lack a huge upper chest becuause we all focus on flat bench press for our egos. most beginners are more interested in what they lift weight wise then actually making the chest grow so they focus on flat bench where you can lift the most and then the upper chest lacks i know that was me in the begining years that's why I and many others just focus on upper chest

Tron
03-16-12, 10:08 am
Yes my reason for only incline is because It will still work you mid chest but most of us lack a huge upper chest becuause we all focus on flat bench press for our egos. most beginners are more interested in what they lift weight wise then actually making the chest grow so they focus on flat bench where you can lift the most and then the upper chest lacks i know that was me in the begining years that's why I and many others just focus on upper chest

The reason this makes sense is the pectoralis minor is under the major near the chest/shoulder tie-in. If you stress this more, that area will grow and it will affect your overall size of your pec.

The idea should always be with concern to form first, then weight. The more weight you can move while keeping good form will ALWAYS result in even more muscular trauma than just more weight.

JoshLandry
03-16-12, 10:18 am
I agree with you 100% about form over weight, I like to pre exhaust my chest so the actual weight is not that heavy when i use DB and BB and people look at me weird when I'm not using much weight and struggling I think it's funny, My ego got left outside the gym a long time ago.

AJP1
03-20-12, 9:07 am
Any1 have any feedback on the amount of reps & sets?

Mizzarler
03-20-12, 5:51 pm

train hard 3-4x a week, basic primal movements should be your focus, keep reps 5-10, eat a lot of clean nutrient dense food and sleep at least 7hrs/night, there secrets out

AJP1
04-02-12, 5:08 pm
Josh that heavy volume routine posted....

With sets into the 15-20 rep scheme does that go against the traditional rules of making the muscle grow when most say try to stay in the 8-12 rep range?

Carrnage
04-02-12, 10:40 pm

Your telling a beginner to stop reading, studying, get off the forums/stop learning from others?

I disagree with that...but......

I also agree with that, as your point is like the Nike slogan...."Just do it".

Carrnage
04-02-12, 10:49 pm

Bro, heres what you need to know about the training aspect of hypertrophy. (links below)

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/hypertrophy-and-muscle-growth.html

And heres another link, look for KingK0ng's post starting in page 2 and read all his post in that thread. That will pretty much answer on what you need to do in the gym.

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/natural-bodybuilding/193616-lifts-size-correalation-3.html

The one thing you should NEVER do, is to "guess" your workouts. Going in the gym and basically saying..."hmmmm lets do this today...how about some supersets?.....why?.....I dunno bro I just feel like it".

Don't guess! Grab literally whatever you want in life! Don't just hope(guess) for it! Go get it! (you can quote me on that!)

AJP1
04-03-12, 11:22 am
Sorry to sound so stupid, what exactly do they mean chose the weights for reps, not chose reps for weight?
I just want to get a better more clear understanding.

Carrnage
04-03-12, 3:38 pm
Sorry to sound so stupid, what exactly do they mean chose the weights for reps, not chose reps for weight?
I just want to get a better more clear understanding.

Im not really sure what your asking but....

Choosing the weight that allows you to get that certain rep range?

AJP1
04-04-12, 2:00 am
Im not really sure what your asking but....

Choosing the weight that allows you to get that certain rep range?

It's list on the website link u gave me, the 1st one.

Big Wides
04-04-12, 6:03 am
AJPI.....what's your diet looking like for this split? To be honest you can train your nuts off with all of this weight/rep, what exercise to do, when to do it, etc. But if your diet isn't in check and your not eating to gain size/strength then it all goes for naut.

Aggression
04-04-12, 9:00 am
AJPI.....what's your diet looking like for this split? To be honest you can train your nuts off with all of this weight/rep, what exercise to do, when to do it, etc. But if your diet isn't in check and your not eating to gain size/strength then it all goes for naut.

Truth

AJP1
04-06-12, 2:45 pm
I havent quite went to that split yet, just keeping with the animal routine #4.
The reason why all this came about is because I want to trim down and cut bodyfat...

Ive been watching my cals and trying to eat under maintence.... I still eat a lot of steaks though....

I guess I am open to any advice on diet work to help me continue to make lean mass gains and burn body fat at the same time.

--From what I understand so far, I still need to stay in the 8-12 rep range and lift challenging to moderatly heavy weight correct? (I know I wont expecting to see any PRs) & just clean up the diet, lower cals slightly & add in cardio correct?

--1 of the biggest thing I am having trouble with is getting adquate amounts of protein in while lowering the cals, so for now I will scale back on the shakes & add in Tuna. Any tips here is appercaited as well.

Carrnage
04-07-12, 12:13 am
I havent quite went to that split yet, just keeping with the animal routine #4.
The reason why all this came about is because I want to trim down and cut bodyfat...

Ive been watching my cals and trying to eat under maintence.... I still eat a lot of steaks though....

I guess I am open to any advice on diet work to help me continue to make lean mass gains and burn body fat at the same time.

--From what I understand so far, I still need to stay in the 8-12 rep range and lift challenging to moderatly heavy weight correct? (I know I wont expecting to see any PRs) & just clean up the diet, lower cals slightly & add in cardio correct?

--1 of the biggest thing I am having trouble with is getting adquate amounts of protein in while lowering the cals, so for now I will scale back on the shakes & add in Tuna. Any tips here is appercaited as well.

Yo!

Here's a training program I actually like to recommend(every knows i dont believe in following a "Set in stone" program, so when I recommend one, you damn right its VERY EFFECTIVE), this program will help strip off the fat, enhance hypertrophy, and get superman strength. The strength increase is what I love most about this program on a shredding phase. (link below)

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/6_weeks_to_superhero_how_i_build_muscle_and_strip_ off_fat_fast

Supplementation wise, go for....
-GDA
-Nutrient Partioner
-Fish oil
-Multimineral/vitamin
-Zinc/Mag (either in aspart or citrate form)

Diet wise, I really gota know other info from you before I could recommend one, but really majority of the diets you read on various websites will work like a charm, its really the consistent part that will dictate your results.

AJP1
04-18-12, 12:42 am
Thx Carnage for posting that T Nation work out link.
I will adhere to that. I read the 2nd page was not very clear on reps schemes.
Should I be shooting for 5 sets with as many reps as I can get with a challenging weight or what would you recommend Carnage?

Thx.

Go Away
04-18-12, 6:14 am
i started out doing the first split you listed, followed by the second split, followed by another intermediate Animal program, and have seem tremendous results!
those splits allow for good compound movement growth and some compliments with the isolation movements, with just enough to not be overtraining.

roll with those for eight weeks a pop and see which suits you best. keep it all logged so you can find your bread and butter training split and when you hit plateaus you can fall back on what you know works for you.

life-long experiment my man! thats what makes it exciting... learning whats best for yourself!

AJP1
04-27-12, 7:26 pm

May go back to blasting as you call it. For a few reasons, Ive been on a split its almost 8 weeks from when I started this thread, but I havent seen any creazy results, So 1) either Im not hitting it hard enough in the gym or 2) Im working out too much.

With that splot I can do 3-4 days a week and just change up the exercises each session, plus I tried that work out and it was intense, some days I feel like I cant complete it...

Just stuck, Im stagnant right now.

Big Wides
04-30-12, 8:17 am
May go back to blasting as you call it. For a few reasons, Ive been on a split its almost 8 weeks from when I started this thread, but I havent seen any creazy results, So 1) either Im not hitting it hard enough in the gym or 2) Im working out too much.

With that splot I can do 3-4 days a week and just change up the exercises each session, plus I tried that work out and it was intense, some days I feel like I cant complete it...

Just stuck, Im stagnant right now.

8 weeks is too short a time to see results, but that's just my opinion. What is your diet like, I don't think you posted it and if you did I apologize man. If your putting in the dues with the gym and the intensity is there, then the issue might be with your diet than the gym.