PDA

View Full Version : Noob Powerlifting Question....

jb3198
03-12-12, 4:33 pm
Alright, so I have been seriously lifting for about a 10 months, the first part of 2011 was 4 months of cutting and I burned out 54 pounds, it was awesome. Then I start some early sessions with the big guys at the gym and begin to make some sweet ass gains. So Im doing the deal, and I set the goal at 400 by 40, that was last August, due to shoulder injury (not serious so have since recovered and blah blah blah)... so I did hit 355 for 1 and half... and Im keeping that half.
So holidays and injury, slacked off, so now since January I was getting a good rythem in and since moved from Idaho back to So Cal... (Sweet!) I have a gym with some good equiptment to work out in and as Im bouncing around the boards I start to expand my search to say Powerlifting USA site and now Im looking around at the divisions...

So what is the likelihood and what steps are next to maybe seek a Masters division contest...? I mean, why the hell not right? Im 40, Im still making gains, injury free (Thank you God), and I keep seeing articles that state... "HAVE A GOAL"... so I want to compete in powerlifting...

whats next?

If ya dont mind helping a newer guy out.

BigChrisF
03-12-12, 9:56 pm
I'm not completely sure of what question you are asking, so I'll go with this response:

First you have to pick a federation to compete in. They will all have their pros and cons. Ideally you will look at their rules of performance and equipment standards and if they ever have any meets near you. What style you want to use on bench will probably be the biggest factor in which fed, with the locality of the meets coming in second. I can't think of a federation that doesn't have a masters division that starts at 40, so you have that covered with whatever choice you make.

When you have made your choice, the lucky federation will usually have a website or add in Powerlifting USA that will inform you how much membership dues are and where to send your application. Once you are a member, you now have to choose a meet. There is usually a list of upcoming meets on the fed's website, or there is list of some on web sites like Powerliftingwatch.com. Once again, the two factors for considering a meet is where it is in relation to you and when it is. If you just want to do a meet for the experience, then you should probably pick a meet that is really close to you, as that will save you the hassle of traveling long distances.

Once you have a meet that suits you, you just have to fill out the entry form as instructed. pick a weight class that you will be in on the day of the meet and select your age group and other category, such as bench only. Some meets will allow you to purchase your membership the day of the meet and will usually indicate as such on the entry form. If that is the case, you can forgo the above step if you want to save stamps. Meet directors will usually have contact information on the entry form. Questions directed at them should be about the meet itself, such as location, equipment being used, facilities, nearby accomodations, etc. Questions about the federations rules of performance should be directed at a federation official. There will usually be contact information for them on the federation website.

Summation - federation + dues + entry form + competing + ? = $$ profit $$

jb3198
03-12-12, 10:56 pm
Damn that summed.that up very well... thanks. That is a huge part of what I was inquiring about. So that leads me to what type of time frame do u put on training for said competitions... I mean what is a viable goal to put oneself into a competition?

BigChrisF
03-13-12, 12:56 pm
Damn that summed.that up very well... thanks. That is a huge part of what I was inquiring about. So that leads me to what type of time frame do u put on training for said competitions... I mean what is a viable goal to put oneself into a competition?

Here is a collection of advice for first time meets.

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?38247-Mcbeasts-First-Meet

I always recommend for the primary goal to be to just get through the meet. Past that goal, push yourself and enjoy the experience. Talk to the other lifters there. There is almost always very experienced people that will hand out advice.

jb3198
03-13-12, 1:24 pm
Thanks man... that sounds like a plan and thanks for taking the time for me!