PDA

View Full Version : Injury and time off

LiveFast
03-12-12, 5:54 pm
A few years ago I hurt my rotator cuff and had to stop training for a while. Just a few days ago while I was doing shoulder presses I started feeling a bit of pain and uncomfort in the area so I stopped. I've been icing the shoulders and decided I was due for a week off. Since I don't want to work any part of the shoulder, would I be better of training legs only on this week? Maybe even twice this week? Another thing that's been bothering me......what about deadlifts? Would that strain my shoulder in any way? I know rest is the best remedy. I also went to the chiro today and got a deep tissue massage and a spine adjustment...felt awesome. As far as my nutrition plan goes, should I keep it strict as usual? or slack off and squeeze in a few cheat meals since I'll be taking off for all upper body this week? Any advice is welcome.

BrandonMBW
03-13-12, 1:46 am
A few years ago I hurt my rotator cuff and had to stop training for a while. Just a few days ago while I was doing shoulder presses I started feeling a bit of pain and uncomfort in the area so I stopped. I've been icing the shoulders and decided I was due for a week off. Since I don't want to work any part of the shoulder, would I be better of training legs only on this week? Maybe even twice this week? Another thing that's been bothering me......what about deadlifts? Would that strain my shoulder in any way? I know rest is the best remedy. I also went to the chiro today and got a deep tissue massage and a spine adjustment...felt awesome. As far as my nutrition plan goes, should I keep it strict as usual? or slack off and squeeze in a few cheat meals since I'll be taking off for all upper body this week? Any advice is welcome.

I'm no expert, just throwing in my .002. As always if you feel pain stop doing what you are doing. Not worth the risk - good call there. If it was ME, I'd do legs twice a week. Being careful with how the squat bar sits though so you're not putting alot pressure on that shoulder. Maybe pussy it a little and use a towel wrap? I've always wondered about injuries, and broken bones how I'd train. More than likely I'd just focus on the uninjured part the best I could. It's better than nothing at all.

I'd go really light on deadlifts, locking that out is putting alot of weight pulling down on your shoulders. You could start small and build your way up till you feel some tension in there.
I'd stick to your diet, despite I don't know what it looks like you mentioned cheat meals. I rather have no cheat meals, but that is just me.

- Brandon

mcbeast
03-13-12, 4:07 am
Sorry to hear about the injury bro, they suck. What are you goals, for eating the way you do? If your cutting I would say keep the meals the same. If your just going with the flow dont worry about. I would also overload on aminos this week.

As far as training around the injury, its tought. Mentally and physically. I would cut out training almost entirely. Do things like crunches, and leg lifts. At the most fool around with leg presses, leg curls and extensions to keep your sanity. I would not reccomend deadlifts at all, even when the shoulder is starting to feel better. Remember this is a marathon, not a sprint. Few weeks off now could let you train for the next 10 years injury free.

Remember the aminos!

-Mcbeast

JoshLandry
03-13-12, 7:47 am

this is my advice since I've been training for quite some years and have had my deals with diff injuries. when I was younger and thought inwas superman I would work thru the pain and injuries only to usually make things WAY worse. so my advise is take a week or 2 off and train other lagging body parts 2 times a week. i have taken 5-6 weeks off from my chest due to an injury And trained back twice a week and was still happy to be inthe gym while taking time off to heal. you have to think would you rather take. few weeks off to heal or a few months off because now you need surgery! most people would say take a few weeks and rest. it probably will do you good. and trust me 2-3 weeks off you won't lose any size!! as for diet deff keep your diet just as strict as if you didn't have the injury remember the rest of you is still trying to grow buddy!! and to grow you need quality food my friend!

LiveFast
03-13-12, 2:06 pm
I'm no expert, just throwing in my .002. As always if you feel pain stop doing what you are doing. Not worth the risk - good call there. If it was ME, I'd do legs twice a week. Being careful with how the squat bar sits though so you're not putting alot pressure on that shoulder. Maybe pussy it a little and use a towel wrap? I've always wondered about injuries, and broken bones how I'd train. More than likely I'd just focus on the uninjured part the best I could. It's better than nothing at all.

I'd go really light on deadlifts, locking that out is putting alot of weight pulling down on your shoulders. You could start small and build your way up till you feel some tension in there.
I'd stick to your diet, despite I don't know what it looks like you mentioned cheat meals. I rather have no cheat meals, but that is just me.

- Brandon

Well I'm currently bulking......but motivation is shot to shit after the injury. Regardless I'll stick to my nutrition plan instead of having a few cheat meals. Thanks bro

LiveFast
03-13-12, 2:12 pm
Sorry to hear about the injury bro, they suck. What are you goals, for eating the way you do? If your cutting I would say keep the meals the same. If your just going with the flow dont worry about. I would also overload on aminos this week.

As far as training around the injury, its tought. Mentally and physically. I would cut out training almost entirely. Do things like crunches, and leg lifts. At the most fool around with leg presses, leg curls and extensions to keep your sanity. I would not reccomend deadlifts at all, even when the shoulder is starting to feel better. Remember this is a marathon, not a sprint. Few weeks off now could let you train for the next 10 years injury free.

Remember the aminos!

-Mcbeast

I usually don't go for cheat meals although my metabolism allows it. I'm bulking at the time. And hell yeah, I've been taking Nitro religilously. I guess i'll keep my nutrition plan the same, maybe even add a few extra cals to maintain size.
Aside from Animal Pak and Nitro, I always rely on Uni-Liver as well. What do you think about flex? I'm in my early 20s and wasn't planning on using joint support supps but I might add it to the arsenal within the next few weeks. You're right about deadlifts I tried with just the bar and although i didn't feel any pain or discomfort, it just didn't feel right yet. Really appreciate the advice man.

mcbeast
03-13-12, 11:11 pm
No problem man. I would def keep the cals about the same if not add some more. If you can pick up Uni Liver from bb.com. Its like 20$ for 500. Great amino source right there. As far as joint support, I didnt think I would need it until I was alot older, well the past 22 years are catching up with me quick! Flex is a solid supplement, if your strapped for cash SportPharma (Universal owned company) has Joint-V. Thats solid as well, for more then half the price of flex. Hope all gets well on your end soon!

BrandonMBW
03-14-12, 1:24 am
I usually don't go for cheat meals although my metabolism allows it. I'm bulking at the time. And hell yeah, I've been taking Nitro religilously. I guess i'll keep my nutrition plan the same, maybe even add a few extra cals to maintain size.
Aside from Animal Pak and Nitro, I always rely on Uni-Liver as well. What do you think about flex? I'm in my early 20s and wasn't planning on using joint support supps but I might add it to the arsenal within the next few weeks. You're right about deadlifts I tried with just the bar and although i didn't feel any pain or discomfort, it just didn't feel right yet. Really appreciate the advice man.

I'd say use Flex. It's better to help the joints and ligs now, than wait years down the line and hurt yourself more. Might just save you a few years of being injury free.

Chizz
03-15-12, 3:25 pm
Take the time off as needed. Keep the diet clean. I would actually take in a little more protein for recovery. No cheating, bc if you have any fat gain from it, you be even more depressed. Deadlifts shouldnt be a problem, just work your way up slowly. Stay motivated my friend.

LiveFast
03-15-12, 4:15 pm
Take the time off as needed. Keep the diet clean. I would actually take in a little more protein for recovery. No cheating, bc if you have any fat gain from it, you be even more depressed. Deadlifts shouldnt be a problem, just work your way up slowly. Stay motivated my friend.

Thanks. I've been eating as if nothing ever happened, and taking in extra aminos. just doing legs, abs, calves, and forearms.