PDA

View Full Version : Full Body Lifts - Yay or Nay?

BrandonMBW
03-13-12, 1:54 am
What is everyones thought on full body power lifts?
Or do you prefer to keep it to a group a day ect?

For example:

Hang cleans, Hang cleans with split press, Hang pulls, Front squats, Snatch, Clean and Jerk, and any others I missed. (Of course not doing them all in a days work).

Having 2 days rest or so. It seems that doing full body workouts, not only same time and build cardio strength and edurance, but prove to do well with results.

Just food for thought.

mcbeast
03-13-12, 3:58 am
It depends what your goals are bro. You could train Oly 2-3x a week. Have a conditioning day, and a pump/hypertrophy day. I know a few guys who have done this. However, all about your goals. What are yours?

Also, who says Oly lifters gotta be small or straight fat? Freakin Quadzilla over here..

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&source=mog&hl=en&gl=us&tab=wi&q=ripped%20olympic%20lifter&sa=N&biw=533&bih=267#p=0

BrandonMBW
03-13-12, 4:21 am
It depends what your goals are bro. You could train Oly 2-3x a week. Have a conditioning day, and a pump/hypertrophy day. I know a few guys who have done this. However, all about your goals. What are yours?

Also, who says Oly lifters gotta be small or straight fat? Freakin Quadzilla over here..

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&source=mog&hl=en&gl=us&tab=wi&q=ripped%20olympic%20lifter&sa=N&biw=533&bih=267#p=0

My goals are to maintain to gain strength and size, while trying to lose a few lbs of fat. More so a recomp.

I'm not small, nor straight fat. 5'7 and bulky broad shoulders.

mcbeast
03-13-12, 4:32 am
I wasnt implying you were either, just a general perspective about oly lifters.

Now you say you want to gain strength. Sure, everybody wants to be strong, and everyone has there own perspective of strong. Do you want to be more athletic, flexible and be able to bust out OLY moves with precision. Or do you want to be a brute who deadlifts 700 pounds, and looks jacked doing it? Its not very easy doing both. All comes down to goals. Right now I am training for a powerlifting meet, so chances of finding oly lifts in my training are slim to none. You can lose fat no matter what kinda of "category" you fall under. You gotta find what works for you. Also, if you do consider oly lifts I would find a coach, or someone who knows what they are doing. Oly lifts can mess you up pretty badly if performed wrong. Or, if your "muscling" it and not using technique.

BrandonMBW
03-13-12, 5:26 am

Now you say you want to gain strength. Sure, everybody wants to be strong, and everyone has there own perspective of strong. Do you want to be more athletic, flexible and be able to bust out OLY moves with precision. Or do you want to be a brute who deadlifts 700 pounds, and looks jacked doing it? Its not very easy doing both. All comes down to goals. Right now I am training for a powerlifting meet, so chances of finding oly lifts in my training are slim to none. You can lose fat no matter what kinda of "category" you fall under. You gotta find what works for you. Also, if you do consider oly lifts I would find a coach, or someone who knows what they are doing. Oly lifts can mess you up pretty badly if performed wrong. Or, if your "muscling" it and not using technique.

Thank you for the insight sir, I'm sure I'll be sticking to my 531 split and what not.

Tron
03-16-12, 10:24 am

I can see this.

It basically comes down to specificity of training principles. You figure out what your overall goal is and you train to it. That way you excel in that portion of your life.

rev8ball
03-16-12, 11:12 am
Also, if you do consider oly lifts I would find a coach, or someone who knows what they are doing. Oly lifts can mess you up pretty badly if performed wrong. Or, if your "muscling" it and not using technique.

Bingo.
I see this all to often nowadays, esp with the 20 rep schemes from self-taught experts from a particularly famous group-type exercise that shall remain nameless....