PDA

View Full Version : Nail In The Coffin...

AJP1
03-25-12, 11:10 am
I can't seem to find a direct answer so I turned here.

Higher reps or heavy weight what seems to elicit the best gains?
There's a ton of back & forth talk on it. I'm curious as to what your guys toughts are and why?

TigerAce01
03-25-12, 11:57 am
A mixture of both.

Hit compound exercises first. Keep it heavy and go hard.

Then, hit your weak parts with higher rep accessories.

-Ace

sworn_enemy
03-25-12, 12:23 pm
A mixture of both.

-Ace

I agree with Ace. You gotta find what works for you. Go hard and go heavy. Don't forgot about muscle confusion. change up the routine often and that will keep the muscles guessing.

Carrnage
03-25-12, 9:33 pm
I can't seem to find a direct answer so I turned here.

Higher reps or heavy weight what seems to elicit the best gains?
There's a ton of back & forth talk on it. I'm curious as to what your guys toughts are and why?

This is how the human body works.... (below)

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/hypertrophy-and-muscle-growth.html

Structure your workouts around the above link.

Never go in the gym clueless....aka "guessing" via "just killing it".

For some reason, this post will somehow, someway, start an argument.....lol

Joe J
03-26-12, 4:08 pm
A mixture of both.

-Ace

I do not agree. I believe that pre-exhaustion techniques (beginning each workout using a isolation movement, then moving on to your compounds movements) will illicet the best gains.

Also, go HEAVY and HARD as long as you are keeping perfect form throughout each rep. (controlling the negative and static portions on the lift)

Big Wides
03-26-12, 9:05 pm
to be honest there is no direct answer and I guarentee that every post here will be different. The one thing to take away from this thread is, there is no magic rep/weight scheme to get you big, the only thing that will get you that way is consistant training, and eating. I've gotten big off of doing high reps/heavy weight to low reps/heavy weight to high reps/light weight.

Just keep your training and diet consistant, and you will get big.

Carrnage
03-26-12, 10:59 pm
I do not agree. I believe that pre-exhaustion techniques (beginning each workout using a isolation movement, then moving on to your compounds movements) will illicet the best gains.

Also, go HEAVY and HARD as long as you are keeping perfect form throughout each rep. (controlling the negative and static portions on the lift)

Pre-exhaust! Love it! Awesome pumps! But can you support a logical reason why you believe in it? I know you guys hate it when I ask for logical reasons for EVERYTHING lol! Im just trying to make sure no misleading info gets thrown out there knowing youngsters will be reading these post.

Carrnage
03-26-12, 11:03 pm
A mixture of both.

-Ace

Bingo!

Joe J
03-27-12, 3:28 am
Pre-exhaust! Love it! Awesome pumps! But can you support a logical reason why you believe in it? I know you guys hate it when I ask for logical reasons for EVERYTHING lol! Im just trying to make sure no misleading info gets thrown out there knowing youngsters will be reading these post.

The only logical reason I need is how well its worked for me. But as far as I understand through pre-exhaustion when you move onto your compound movements you will be targetting more of the desired muscle as you will be taxing it at a higher rate than other muscles involved

AJP1
03-27-12, 10:14 am
It just takes a wild to expierenment.

1 group of people say light weight high reps is the way to go, others say go heavy.

Carrnage
03-27-12, 5:14 pm
The only logical reason I need is how well its worked for me. But as far as I understand through pre-exhaustion when you move onto your compound movements you will be targetting more of the desired muscle as you will be taxing it at a higher rate than other muscles involved

"Works for me" is not a logical answer bro!! haha, its cool though! Keep growin' bro!

And I like to see your not focusing on how much weight your lifting, instead your focusing on feeling the muscle! Respect to ya!

AJP1
03-28-12, 10:04 am
Is this routine garbage?

http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/resistance-training

G Diesel
03-28-12, 10:10 am
to be honest there is no direct answer and I guarentee that every post here will be different. The one thing to take away from this thread is, there is no magic rep/weight scheme to get you big, the only thing that will get you that way is consistant training, and eating. I've gotten big off of doing high reps/heavy weight to low reps/heavy weight to high reps/light weight.

Just keep your training and diet consistant, and you will get big.

Best fucking answer in this thread. Consistent, varied, taxing weight sessions repeated over long periods of time coupled with proper nutrition will get you results. There is no magic program or secret exercise scheme or rep range.

Train hard, heavy and often and do your best to manipulate outside factors so as to prioritize recovery.

Peace, G

Joe J
03-28-12, 10:42 am
Is this routine garbage?

http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/resistance-training

Get the fuck off mens health bro! ;) there are plenty of routines on here you can look at by clicking the 'training' link at the top off your page. If you would like a new routine I massively suggest watching dorian yates blood and guts series on youtube, that will make you grow seriously!!

Best fucking answer in this thread. Consistent, varied, taxing weight sessions repeated over long periods of time coupled with proper nutrition will get you results. There is no magic program or secret exercise scheme or rep range.

Train hard, heavy and often and do your best to manipulate outside factors so as to prioritize recovery.

Peace, G

Amen g, great post

AJP1
03-28-12, 1:24 pm
Thx. Guys. I'm sure u respect me not asking what sups to take n actually trying evaluate my lifting

Joe J
03-28-12, 3:54 pm
Thx. Guys. I'm sure u respect me not asking what sups to take n actually trying evaluate my lifting

Here to help bro, any more questions if you want my advice PM me.

msktyshha
04-05-12, 11:39 pm
on most of my main movements I go heavy and complete atleast 4-6 reps and i am gaining some good amount of size and with each body part keep a last killer exercise like for chest you have flyes or crossovers, for legs you have extensions and etc on the killer exercise do higher reps. I keep following this sort of routine for some time then take a week off then repeat but if my gains stop then you'll have to start a higher rep scheme for as long as that works and then switch back. Your body adapts to certain things and once it adapts and you stop seeing results then you have to change things around.

Chia
04-06-12, 1:34 am
We all know that heavier weights are necessary for strength, and higher reps are conducive to muscular growth. But there's a huge difference between doing say a set of 10 on bench with 200lbs vs a set of 10 with 400lbs. If you're weak, focus on getting stronger by lifting heavier weight, then you'll be able to do more weight for your higher rep sets leading to better muscle gains.

Although I'm having trouble finding the clip, I could swear that I once heard Ronnie Coleman once said something along the lines of - "some people do high weight for low reps, some people do low weight for high reps. I do high weight for high reps."

B.C.
04-06-12, 2:29 am
Ever notice how high level powerlifters just happen to big and muscular, and high level bodybuilders just happen to be strong as hell?..Weird.

TigerAce01
04-06-12, 11:58 am
Exactly, the point of my post wasn't saying I have this perfect formula for amazing muscle growth. In fact, almost no one on this forum needs a super special, awesome, top of the food chain routine...I'm pretty sure if everyone was just consistent and worked their asses off, they would see better results than they see now.

Just lift heavy and hard, eat some good food, and have fun with it!

-Ace

AJP1
04-06-12, 1:03 pm
We all know that heavier weights are necessary for strength, and higher reps are conducive to muscular growth. But there's a huge difference between doing say a set of 10 on bench with 200lbs vs a set of 10 with 400lbs. If you're weak, focus on getting stronger by lifting heavier weight, then you'll be able to do more weight for your higher rep sets leading to better muscle gains.

Although I'm having trouble finding the clip, I could swear that I once heard Ronnie Coleman once said something along the lines of - "some people do high weight for low reps, some people do low weight for high reps. I do high weight for high reps."

The Ronnie Coleman part makes sense....
Bingo on the point higher reps are conducive to muscle growth.... Heard that too many times.

msktyshha
04-06-12, 1:31 pm
Exactly, the point of my post wasn't saying I have this perfect formula for amazing muscle growth. In fact, almost no one on this forum needs a super special, awesome, top of the food chain routine...I'm pretty sure if everyone was just consistent and worked their asses off, they would see better results than they see now.

Just lift heavy and hard, eat some good food, and have fun with it!

-Ace

yes consistency is the key!! many trainess get so confused about training that they don't stick to one routine and try to find the fastest or the best muscle building routine. being confused takes your motivation away and trust me if you over think about routines and rep schemes and stuff you'll always stay confused. So the best thing is just keep it simple stick to a specific routine and be consistent with it and you'll see results