PDA

View Full Version : Lower Back Tightness: Appropriate streches/exercises?

NJC_Manhattan
04-02-12, 12:51 pm
All,

Quick question for you. In your opinion--or back by research--is the best for stretching the lower back. Have some tightness that's built up over the past week and when I attempted to do a moderate deadlift (225), I experienced my lower back lock up. No sharp pain or trouble walking, just stiffness.

Any thoughts?

Lifting_Is_Life
04-02-12, 1:13 pm
All,

Quick question for you. In your opinion--or back by research--is the best for stretching the lower back. Have some tightness that's built up over the past week and when I attempted to do a moderate deadlift (225), I experienced my lower back lock up. No sharp pain or trouble walking, just stiffness.

Any thoughts?

Yoga actually helps me stay loose, hanging from a chin up bar for 30 seconds or so for a few sets help my back feel better(kind of like those inverted laying down things where you flip upside down?), just helps with my spine, you can do the HRT stretch(I've come to love this one) where you lock hands behind your slightly bent knees and pull slowly and feel the stretch throughout your back, lastly a foam roller has become a nice tool for me(at first I was in literal tears but I'm feeling the difference after sticking with it). But personally that sounds like yoga and the hanging would be the two to do if it's a tightness/locking up problem. Of course taking a couple weeks off would also probably do you a lot of help and could be safer. Hope this helps you out man

NJC_Manhattan
04-02-12, 1:17 pm
Yoga actually helps me stay loose, hanging from a chin up bar for 30 seconds or so for a few sets help my back feel better(kind of like those inverted laying down things where you flip upside down?), just helps with my spine, you can do the HRT stretch(I've come to love this one) where you lock hands behind your slightly bent knees and pull slowly and feel the stretch throughout your back, lastly a foam roller has become a nice tool for me(at first I was in literal tears but I'm feeling the difference after sticking with it). But personally that sounds like yoga and the hanging would be the two to do if it's a tightness/locking up problem. Of course taking a couple weeks off would also probably do you a lot of help and could be safer. Hope this helps you out man

Appreciate the info. The additional color with the yoga is interesting.

Taking a couple weeks off is unfortunately not in the cards. I'm right in the middle of a program/diet and if I derail now, it could seriously set me back. I have, however, eased up on exercises that stress the lower back.

I'll try hanging from the bar to stretch out. Otherwise, I may just do stretches in the steam room and see if that alleviates any soreness/tightness

AJP1
04-02-12, 5:00 pm
Same thing, hit deads and I feel good, pretty stiff thats for sure.

mcbeast
04-02-12, 5:45 pm
-Freeze a water bottle, lay on it and move to the tightest area.
-Yoga helps
-Variation of stretches. Don't just think lower back. Your body works as a single unit, so it could be something else that's causing the stiffness
-Foam Roller. Probably the best recovery tool out there. Do thoracic extensions, and roll your entire back, ab/adductor,quad,it band & hammies
-nsaids (naproxen, ibuprofen)
-Decompression (inversion table, Hanging, weighted hang)

No need to stop training. If anything just cut down the impact cardio/ switch exercises that cause the stiffness

Chia
04-03-12, 11:08 am
I usually get tightness if I train with DOMS (ie. squats the day after heavy deadlifts). What works for me is mostly just resting, NSAIDs if you need them, along with some high rep back extensions or good mornings with very light weight to encourage blood flow. Occasionally I might do some rolling on a Nalgene-type water bottle. I don't really like to stretch the lower back specifically since it really should work isometrically under a load. I used to do a toe touch type stretch for my lower back but I suspect this "taught" me relax the lower back too much and led to rounding at the bottom of a squat/deadlift. I think it's more beneficial to stretch out the surrounding muscles that pull on the lower back such as the glutes and hamstrings.

Solid Dreams
04-03-12, 11:11 am
Rolling it out with a foam/rumble roller, Dorian Yates' version of stretching (should look it up in his back session), and Rage's bending over, holding your knees, then rolling your back up really help me out. I think a video of that would be in his HRT video series somewhere.

intoodeep25
04-04-12, 11:31 am
dont over look the possibility of a tight piriformis, when that bad boy is aggravated the lower back pain can be insane. might look into trying a few stretches to loosen it up and see if those help at all

NJC_Manhattan
04-04-12, 5:03 pm
Appreciate all the info. Will look into it

msktyshha
04-05-12, 1:46 pm
deep tissue massage and fish oil

twoheadedboy
04-07-12, 1:11 pm
Put 2 tennis balls in your car. Any time you're driving, position the tennis balls on either side of your spine between the seat and your back, and just proceed as normal. This keeps my low back nice and flexible, thanks to my chiropractor.

msktyshha
04-07-12, 9:41 pm
Put 2 tennis balls in your car. Any time you're driving, position the tennis balls on either side of your spine between the seat and your back, and just proceed as normal. This keeps my low back nice and flexible, thanks to my chiropractor.

I need to try this one but do you know what kind of tennis balls, I mean what brand cause the one I pickup from a discount store for a dollar are much more stiff and hard then the ones you get from modells that are a little more pricey but there softer.

twoheadedboy
04-07-12, 10:09 pm
I need to try this one but do you know what kind of tennis balls, I mean what brand cause the one I pickup from a discount store for a dollar are much more stiff and hard then the ones you get from modells that are a little more pricey but there softer.

I would say it doesn't matter, but as stiff as you can stand. I just got 2 old ones from my uncle.

Pizzalamp
04-10-12, 8:07 pm
dont over look the possibility of a tight piriformis, when that bad boy is aggravated the lower back pain can be insane. might look into trying a few stretches to loosen it up and see if those help at all

is the psoas tight because the glutes are weak? or are the glutes tight because the psoas is weak? its the classic chicken and egg scenario.

Pizzalamp
04-10-12, 8:15 pm
start working on improving your tspine mobility
make sure your glutes are strong and are firing
avoid flexion of your lower back which has been proven to destroy your discs
use cook hip lift and mcgill quadraped progressions
use wall slide slides-they help to strengthen the low and mid traps(the posture muscles)-the better your shoulder flexibility is, the less strain you will put on your lower back
train your core using stir the pot, dying bug w/ wall push, suitcase carries, rollouts, palof press, landmines,RKC planks, the American Deadlift, kettblebell swings
try to stay away from loading of the spine
use trap bar deadlifts
train single leg as much as possible
all sports are single leg-even running-so we should do more single leg training
single leg reaching deadlifts w/ a bent base leg are great-the bent level calls into use of the glute-and the reaching motion turns on the spinal erectors to protect your back
and for gods sake, do a real unsupported single leg deadlift, none of this holding onto a bench w/ 1 hand crap
good luck