PDA

View Full Version : What to open at for PL meet tomorrow?

brianfox77
04-06-12, 3:28 pm
I have a PL meet tomorrow for Deadlift only. I've only done one in the past and pulled 315, 370 and 405. After that meet, I told myself that I would pull 500 next year! I've pulled 500x1 two times at the gym, with no training partner, and no pre-workout. I'd like to do more at the meet. So my question is what should I open at? 450, 500 and 525? I'm in the 198lb class.

Aggression
04-06-12, 3:33 pm
Open with a weight that you KNOW you can easily pull for one. I was always told that your opener should be a weight that you can pull despite feeling your worst; hungover, dehydrated, haven't eaten in hours, etc. Your opener should be a weight that you'd still be able to pull, despite those circumstances. Some people open light and make big jumps. Others open heavy and make smaller jumps. So it depends on you.

J Wong
04-06-12, 3:40 pm
^^what he said. I usually open around 90% of my 1RM.

Bruiser
04-06-12, 3:43 pm
I'll be doing my first meet in May and have looked into this as well. I've been told to open with what you can hit a triple with. This will ensure a solid opener. From there make an appropriate jump for your second attempt and don't make a larger jump from your second to third than you did from your first to second. For example, say you open with 425 and hit 450 on your second, don't go for more than another 25 for your third (475). Most people who raise a higher weight (480+ in this example) usually fail that attempt. If you hit all three and are offered a fourth, then all rules are out and go for the fucking glory bitches!

brianfox77
04-06-12, 3:50 pm
Last year, I had never pulled 405 before until the day of the meet. So I'm hoping to do the same this year.

90% of my 1RM is 450, I can pull a double on that for sure.

Thanks for all the input!

Aggression
04-06-12, 3:55 pm
The electricity at a meet is overwhelming, so you'll definitely be able to do more than what you think. My current strategy is to nail a PR on my second attempt, a minor one. If my previous deadlift was 445, I'll attempt 455-465 as my second attempt. Nail a PR and then go for the gusto on the third. With a PR already in the books, I'll go all out and try 485-495, hypothetically.

Also, I never put anything more than 395 on my back in the gym for squats. I hit 410 and then 425 last meet. So adrenaline and excitement give you a major advantage.

J-Dawg
04-06-12, 3:56 pm
If you've hit 500 in the gym, what would you like to attempt on your final lift? Maybe 510/515?

Maybe do 455, 480, 510/515?

brianfox77
04-06-12, 4:01 pm
@Aggression: Do you take any pre-workout supps before a meet? I normally just drink a BCAA/Creatine/Glutamine drink on the way to the gym and was going to stick to that. Rage and Nitro together was recommended to me by Ben Seath.

Aggression
04-06-12, 4:04 pm
@Aggression: Do you take any pre-workout supps before a meet? I normally just drink a BCAA/Creatine/Glutamine drink on the way to the gym and was going to stick to that. Rage and Nitro together was recommended to me by Ben Seath.

Fuck yeah. I drink Rage. Usually half a serving prior to my 2nd attempt on squats. I don't use it for bench. And then my second attempt on deads too. I usually run through 1.5-2 servings of Rage. I never used Nitro, but now that you/Seath mention it, I'll be sure to include it in my arsenal next meet.

brianfox77
04-06-12, 4:13 pm
Looks like I'm runnin' to the supp shop after work! Thanks bro.

BigChrisF
04-06-12, 7:58 pm
Looks like I'm runnin' to the supp shop after work! Thanks bro.

I would recommend caution with using supplements that you have never used before on meet day.

Mr.X
04-08-12, 11:25 pm
I would recommend caution with using supplements that you have never used before on meet day.

truth right thurr.

test run RAGE and see how it is for you WAY BEFORE the meet.

i used a top brand before and it just gave me insane headaches and i felt no actual benefit.

switched to another product (concerning creatine) and it was great and then obviously when RAGE first came out i bought in bulk and never looked back.

if your choosing between a lambo and a maserati you'd wanna test run 'em before you laid the cash down amirite?

RedlegDbell
04-08-12, 11:57 pm
I have a PL meet tomorrow for Deadlift only. I've only done one in the past and pulled 315, 370 and 405. After that meet, I told myself that I would pull 500 next year! I've pulled 500x1 two times at the gym, with no training partner, and no pre-workout. I'd like to do more at the meet. So my question is what should I open at? 450, 500 and 525? I'm in the 198lb class.

Glad you started this thread. This is something I've been wondering about as I've been hunting for my first powerlifting meet.

Aggression
04-09-12, 8:09 am
How did the meet go, my man? What did you end up pulling?

brianfox77
04-09-12, 11:12 am
I didn't pull 500, ended at 450 which was my opener. I'm not making any excuses, I didn't get what I wanted. I had to be there at 7AM to weigh in, and I didn't lift until 1PM. So I had 6 hours of standing around. I ended up not buying any supps, just stuck with what I normally use.

Opened at 450, pulled it now problem. Tried 500, got it half way up and couldn't lockout. 3rd attempt tried 500 again and still couldn't get it. Still got 1st place for my class with 450. The biggest dead of the day was 610, he weighed in at over 300lbs.

Any suggestions on what to do for 6 hours while I wait??

I'm already starting to prepare for next year, I was pretty disappointed with my performance as I've done 500 before in the gym. Time to start a journey to my next meet. Need to fine tune my diet and training to accomplish my goals.

Don't know how to add pictures, I have a couple from the meet.

brianfox77
04-09-12, 11:14 am
@Mr. X - I stuck to my normal BCAA drink. Supplement Source was sponsoring and had a ton of free samples. I didn't want to try something I have never taken before not knowing how it would affect me.

brianfox77
04-09-12, 11:15 am
Glad you started this thread. This is something I've been wondering about as I've been hunting for my first powerlifting meet.

Well, the advice I was given was open at 90% of your 1RM. Which for me was 450. What I should have done was 450, 475 and 500. I think going from 450 to 500 was a mistake and it cost me hitting my goal.

Aggression
04-09-12, 11:42 am
Well, the advice I was given was open at 90% of your 1RM. Which for me was 450. What I should have done was 450, 475 and 500. I think going from 450 to 500 was a mistake and it cost me hitting my goal.

Right. I would have gone 450, 480ish, 500. Its pretty much exactly what I did in my last meet; 455, 485, and missed 500.

As for the time gap, bring food, my man. Search through some threads in the PL section. You'll find a lot that talk about what to bring on meet day. I usually bring a cooler with some easy foods in there; PB and J sandwich, piece of fruit, protein bar, etc. Nothing too heavy or weird. Just something to get calories in you. Some of the meets I've done have started at 10am and ended at 9pm. So you need to bring some sustenance with you to last through the whole meet, even if it's a deadlift only.

brianfox77
04-09-12, 11:47 am
Right. I would have gone 450, 480ish, 500. Its pretty much exactly what I did in my last meet; 455, 485, and missed 500.

As for the time gap, bring food, my man. Search through some threads in the PL section. You'll find a lot that talk about what to bring on meet day. I usually bring a cooler with some easy foods in there; PB and J sandwich, piece of fruit, protein bar, etc. Nothing too heavy or weird. Just something to get calories in you. Some of the meets I've done have started at 10am and ended at 9pm. So you need to bring some sustenance with you to last through the whole meet, even if it's a deadlift only.

That's exactly what I should have done. Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely be more prepared for next year.

Mr.X
04-10-12, 1:25 am
450 is still a good lift and you got first. be proud of your accomplishments

mcbeast
04-10-12, 8:28 am
Fine Tune Diet= More oreoes, milk, whole chickens & babies fresh from the womb.

No, really.

I would sip on EAA/BCAA stack all day. Munch on some banannas & light snacks..

brianfox77
04-10-12, 9:49 am
Fine Tune Diet= More oreoes, milk, whole chickens & babies fresh from the womb.

No, really.

I would sip on EAA/BCAA stack all day. Munch on some banannas & light snacks..

I couldn't agree more! I'm starting to prepare now, so I can walk away with the trophy for biggest deadlift next year. Whatever doesn't kill me......had better start running, because there is no stopping me.