PDA

View Full Version : What to do for explosive power on deads?

brianfox77
04-10-12, 10:33 am
Deficit deads, rack pulls or chains?

I'm trying to get more explosive power on my deads, what's your opinion?

Chia
04-10-12, 10:50 am
Deficit deads, rack pulls or chains?

I'm trying to get more explosive power on my deads, what's your opinion?

There are people here more qualified to give advice, but here are my two cents.

I tend to be a power puller - I don't really do grinders for some reason. If I can't get the weight moving fast, it's usually over. I think the two things that have helped my deadlift power the most are:

1) I always pull the bar as fast as possible, whether its 1 plate or 6.
2) Deep Olympic style squats - Although I suck at squats, I credit them for building my deadlift. With a heavy squat you're never really comfortable in the hole - you want to get out of there as fast as possible. Olympic style squats have always put a lot of stress on my lower back and they teach you to come out of hole fast.

I'm also a fan of deficits - I think they have helped me with speed off the ground. I've never done enough rack pulling or band/chain work to really say with certainty whether they've helped.

BamBam
04-10-12, 11:17 am
Speed pulls (ex- bands/chains/combo of the two), rack deads, deficits... Chia is on the right track tho. Anything else I can help with lemme know... sorry this is brief... I'm at work so it blows time wise.

Big Wides
04-10-12, 11:27 am
Try doing Olympic style lifts like cleans and snatches. In the past these have helped me gain not only explosive strength but speed as well. Since these work on hip speed which is a big part of deadlifting and squatting.

Also deficit deads will help out and SLDL

brianfox77
04-10-12, 11:30 am
Try doing Olympic style lifts like cleans and snatches. In the past these have helped me gain not only explosive strength but speed as well. Since these work on hip speed which is a big part of deadlifting and squatting.

Thanks bro. Never thought of doing cleans and snatches. I'll definitely add those in.

BigChrisF
04-10-12, 3:04 pm
I like pulling against bands for speed generation. Pulling against chains is nice for keeping the muscle contraction accelerating through lockout, but it's not quite like pulling against bands. However, unless you have a platform with hooks, setting up the bands is a little bit of a nuisance. Using both at the same time is also a great variant. Adding a deficit in there will help with getting the bar off the floor faster.

Olympic lifts are good for power/force development. You need to develop a lot of bar speed in a hurry to lift a lot of weight like that. The concern I have about training the Olympic lifts is that proper execution of them requires a re-bending of the knees after the initial pull. Obviously in a competitive deadlift this is not something you want to do. Be conscious of this and make sure you don't start doing it in your deadlift.

Aggression
04-10-12, 3:18 pm
As BamBam said ... speed work will help. Use a weight that's 40-60% of your 1RM and pull singles for speed. You can also add chains/bands to the bar for added resistance.

brianfox77
04-10-12, 5:08 pm
As BamBam said ... speed work will help. Use a weight that's 40-60% of your 1RM and pull singles for speed. You can also add chains/bands to the bar for added resistance.

Thanks brotha! I appreciate all the feedback. Already pumped for back day tomorrow.

Mr.X
04-11-12, 1:37 am

this is absolutely without a doubt execellent advice, one thing i will add is start easy if u dont train snatches, cleans regularly and warm up ur rotator cuffs and then use absolute precision with the movement.

i always found with perfect form of moving wieghts equals perfect strength which in turn creates perfect muscles

Deathride
04-11-12, 4:02 am
I've read of people using power cleans as the warmup to their deadlift workouts - performing power cleans until they cannot power clean anymore and then deadlifting from that weight up. Whilst I know the two aren't exactly a similar movement (shoulders in front vs shoulders behind the bar at the start), it certainly gets me in the mindset of ripping the bar off hte floor with all available speed and that carries through into the heavier weights.

Again, as Chia said, I'm not the best qualified to talk about this! But it certainly gives me the right feeling!

naturalguy
04-11-12, 8:42 am
I agree with doing speed work.

Use the bands, chains, deficit, future method, there are many tools at your disposal

brianfox77
04-11-12, 9:32 am
I agree with doing speed work.

Use the bands, chains, deficit, future method, there are many tools at your disposal

I used the chains this morning at the gym, plus did some deficit deads as well. I think it's definitely going to help! It just sucks having to put away all the plates after you're done!!